Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop advice (Komplett, Lenovo Legion, other options)

Options
  • 15-03-2020 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm looking to buy a laptop to hopefully last me for 5+ years. Main heavy use will be Football Manager but I do some photo editing and will possibly do some gaming.

I'd like to try and buy high spec so that it will last me a few years without becoming outdated.

One of the options I've identified is the below from Komplett. Any views in this and on buying from Komplett generally?

komplett. ie/lenovo-legion-y540-15irh-81sx007ymh/80053994/product/9645

I'd also been looking at the Dell G3 and G7 but am slightly favouring the bigger SSD on the laptop above.

Any thoughts on where to buy and other options much appreciated!

Comments

this is in the same price range but is a nicer build

https://www.box.co.uk/MSI-GL65-9SE-249UK_2779767.html

that site can have good deals for gaming laptops

another option is to even look at amazon.com prices as they show import tax final figures from us as some great deals there and amazon will support you properly in terms of any issues- only need to use a plug adaptor or even and old 3-prong end cable

has 256gb and a 1tb for storage of larger games

hdd is fine for running games off. most important thing is to have windows and/or most used games on ssd.

if a gaming laptop only comes with an ssd then it's a m.2 ssd so you will have a 2.5 inch bay free for a hdd or sata 3 2.5 inch ssd to install easily

if colour accuracy is important for your editing then look at the dell G7

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rmoxom

Thanks for the view, is the build quality on the Lenovo actually bad or just better on the MSI? I'd prefer a machine that doesn't look too "gamer-ey" which has put me off on a lot of the MSI and Asus laptops.

I did consider the G7 so might look at that a bit more.

lenovo are decent but the 540 is at the lower end of their different segments of gaming laptops.

so the y740 would be the upper end

that msi doesn't look too gamery imo, except for the red-accented keys of course

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Not sure that MSI would be good for you if you doing some editing. That screen would not be the best.

Giving you idea of custom made laptop. I personally got one in November and love it. I was able to make the spec I wanted and not have stuff that I don't want ( no Hdds just a single 1tb SSD for example ). People here don't really like them, but presume its, because you he at more loud negative crowd, instead of silent happy one. Ofc like anything, some chassis are good and some are bad. Just need to do some digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TestLink

How would MSI compare with ASUS?

I am also looking for a 17" gaming laptop with Hexa / Octa core processor + RTX display card. Prefer a metal build rather than plasticky one.

• Advertisement

you'd have to research each model separately.

both ASUS and MSI make good laptops.

with the new AMD 4000 series seem to perform very well in gaming laptops so maybe look at those.

there are a lot fewer laptops made in the 17 inch size so choice is more limited (and indeed value possibly)

what is your budget?

glasso wrote: »
    you'd have to research each model separately.

both ASUS and MSI make good laptops.

with the new AMD 4000 series seem to perform very well in gaming laptops so maybe look at those.

there are a lot fewer laptops made in the 17 inch size so choice is more limited (and indeed value possibly)

what is your budget?

Around 1200 euro.

Is AMD RYZEN 7, 4000 series processor?

you may struggle to get a metal chassis gaming laptop with an RTX card for 1200 euro

you'd be looking for ryzen 7 4000 H series for a gaming laptop. maybe even the ryzen 5 4000 H series also.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15680/ryzen-laptop-launch-day-overview-acer-asus-dell-msi

take a look at the Asus Tuf A15. Maybe they might do a 17 inch version.

they can sustain higher performance than the intel cpus due to lower power draw

you may struggle to get a metal chassis gaming laptop with an RTX card for 1200 euro

you'd be looking for ryzen 7 4000 H series for a gaming laptop. maybe even the ryzen 5 4000 H series also.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15680/ryzen-laptop-launch-day-overview-acer-asus-dell-msi

take a look at the Asus Tuf A15. Maybe they might do a 17 inch version.

they can sustain higher performance than the intel cpus due to lower power draw

I checked box.co.uk. Nothing available with 17" AMD kit. Would wait till something comes out.

TestLink wrote: »
    I checked box.co.uk. Nothing available with 17" AMD kit. Would wait till something comes out.

the amd 4000 series gaming laptops are only starting to get reviewed now and with the current situation there may be a bit of a delay before they are for sale

• Advertisement

Heard that new AMD Ryzen 7 and AMD Ryzen 9 4000 series laptops are on the way. These processors are ultra thin & ultra powerful and would compete with Intel i7 and i9 processors. Might be it is worth to wait a bit for these monsters to come out.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-processors-laptop

they are the same cpus as the ones I mentioned.

check the Asus G14, A15 and A17 models

they are the same cpus as the ones I mentioned.

check the Asus G14, A15 and A17 models

The graphics processor for ASUS TUF A17 17" is GTX 1660Ti 6 GB

https://www.asus.com/uk/Laptops/ASUS-TUF-Gaming-A17/Features/

Saw reviews that RTX range of display adapters are far better than GTX range with features like ray processing and all.

there are 3 versions of each card basically

1. desktop version (won't be this in laptop)

2. laptop version (lower watts)

3. max-q laptop version (lower watts again)

need to see what versions are there. for example with 2. laptop versions, little to nothing between 2060 and 1660 ti in performance

https://www.notebookcheck.net/GeForce-RTX-2060-Laptop-vs-GeForce-GTX-1660-Ti-Laptop_9581_9641.247598.0.html

With dlss 2.0 does look like it might be worth going for an RTX card, even if it's not directly an RTX feature as it's actually ai- based upscaling but seems useful for increasing fps achieved.

With dlss 2.0 does look like it might be worth going for an RTX card, even if it's not directly an RTX feature as it's actually ai- based upscaling but seems useful for increasing fps achieved.

I checked couple of websites like HP, Lenovo etc. but they doesnt offer any 17" AMD 4000 series laptops! I can see only over priced intel i7 or i9.

I can wait a bit for a 17" + 8 Core + RTX combo laptop, rather than compromising on what I really like to buy.

yes as I said these (amd 4000 series cpu-based laptops) are only coming out now and the whole cv19 situation is not exactly speeding things up.

in addition, as you know there are also far less 17. inch gaming laptops available compared to 15 inch ones.

so you will have to wait if you want to pick one up.

here's why dlss 2.0 is so good (even tho hardly any games support it at the moment but will going forward)

it can make 540p resolution output from the card but upscaled to 1080p and look as good as 1080p so basically adds on lots of performance for free

(can be used with ray-tracing or without it but only works on RTX cards)

When contacted Box UK, I was told that they doesnt any info on when the 17" Laptops with AMD Ryzen 7 or Ryzen 9 4000 series (8 cores + 16 threads) processors would be available.

But when I googled, I saw several websites are taking pre-orders for laptops (Mainly MSI) with the above specs which would be delivered July end / Aug. Prices in 1000 euro range.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 astrangercalls

When contacted Box UK, I was told that they doesnt any info on when the 17" Laptops with AMD Ryzen 7 or Ryzen 9 4000 series (8 cores + 16 threads) processors would be available.

But when I googled, I saw several websites are taking pre-orders for laptops (Mainly MSI) with the above specs which would be delivered July end / Aug. Prices in 1000 euro range.

Any chance you could sahre some of those sites please? I can't find any laptops in Europe with Ryzen 7/9 4000 series for €1000. Thank you.

if you're getting a gaming laptop the AMD 4000 is not going to make much of a difference from a gaming point of view compared to a 6-core intel like the 9750h

this is because unless you have a really high end laptop card like the RTX 2070 or more like the RTX 2080, the limiting factor is going to be the GPU, not the CPU. laptops with these cards are very pricey.

if you are doing a lot of video editing, yes the AMD 4000 will be better.

so if you get a good deal on an intel 6-core and an RTX (like the GF 65 from MSI) I would say go for that

here is a 6-core intel vs amd 4800 h with the same laptop card - RTC 2060. little in it really in terms of FPS

• Advertisement

Any chance you could sahre some of those sites please? I can't find any laptops in Europe with Ryzen 7/9 4000 series for €1000. Thank you.

One of them is below:
    https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834155429?&quicklink=true

The down side is it has a Radeon RX 5500M 4 GB GDDR6 graphics card.

just google Ryzen 7 3rd gen laptop, there might be more.

Dont know whether newegg would ship to Ireland.

this is the best value gaming laptop out there at the mo imo

6-core intel and RTX 2060 (full laptop version, not the low power max-q version)
    £999 from may 4 in pcworld uk and should be other providers
    need to speed another £100 to up the ram to dual-channel 16gb (£30) and another 512gb nvme ssd (£70)
    then you have a cracking gaming laptop

I would wait for a 17" alternative.

I would waiting for a 17" alternative.

it may never come....

version with the RTX 2060 card obviously...

Komplett even though they have limited number of choices, seems cheaper on high end laptops compared to Box.co.uk.

MSI Gaming - GL75 10SER-061NL - 1599 Euro
    https://www.komplett.ie/msi-gaming-gl75-10sdr-063nl/20994690/product/9474

LENOVO LEGION Y540 17 - 1718.63 Euro

https://www.box.co.uk/81Q400APUK-Lenovo-Legion-Y540-17_2834216.html

appears to be the current model... I think

https://laptopmedia.com/review/acer-predator-helios-300-17-2019-ph317-53-review-does-it-satisfy-the-high-expectations/

very good screen in particular.

nice machine. would you be tempted?

• Advertisement

No, I wont take chance buying a refurb laptop.

Advertisement