Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Beautiful day but still chilly.......especially from 5pm.
    Here in Louth the ground is like a rock, it must be 7 weeks since we had rain. Absolutely none last weekend despite predictions from Met Eireann. I am already watering plants and seedlings every single day for the last week. At this rate there will be a water shortage and Irish Water need to start watching levels. Everyone is out power hosing driveways, patios and cars. If this dry weather keeps up we will have a drought.

Which is ridiculous. Think they would have learned since 2018. We just had possibly one of the wettest periods on record from September till about last month with constant wet days nearly and already nearly in drought.

We've had a few days of rain down here in the south anyway, definitely duller and cooler then the east and west anyway have had a few nice days though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

there will be rain from next week, so won't really be a drought and things look fairly wet and unsettled in about a weeks time to the early days of May, weather they happen or not is another thing. I'm hoping this possible return to cool and unsettled conditions is only temporary.

well............its ridiculous on the part of Irish Water..............not the people out power hosing their driveways and cars. If the experts aren't flagging a water shortage the public certainly wont be aware of it. You simply cant take everything away from people (DIY shops, garden centres, jobs) and expect them to stay at home doing nothing. So if we shouldn't be watering young plants and seedlings or washing driveways then Irish Water need to tell us. Maybe the rest of the country isn't as dry but I was walking through fields today and they have huge cracks in the soil as its so dry, growth is well behind too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ridiculous, how? I don't see any commentary of water shortages yet, simply the suggestion was made that it could happen if this continues.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Ridiclous, how? I don't see any commentary of water shortages yet, simply the suggestion was made that it could happen if this continues.

It was mentioned a few weeks ago during the first dry spell on the weather forecast or so.

I was also talking about irish water not building up their water storage capacity, should have clarified that sorry. They really should have though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭OldRio

Looking at the sky now and there are two semi circles around the sun. The one nearest looks amazing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another nice sunny day but temperatures still disappointing here in Meath, currently 14C which is a few degrees warmer than it has been recently.

Tomorrow looks a bit more promising with mid teens or slightly higher possible, with less of an influence from chilly easterly breezes.

GFSOPUK06_33_5.png

Saturday is also looking reasonably mild with 16 to 18C in many areas.
    GFSOPUK06_57_5.png

temperatures back to the high single digits, low teens for many places from Sunday and into next week. Make the most of the next 3 days, it turns unsettled for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

3pm
    Newport Co.Mayo 20 degrees

Not sunny in cork city, hazyish and a bit cloudy. About 15 degrees or so. A lot better then the previous few days

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

OldRio wrote: »
    Looking at the sky now and there are two semi circles around the sun. The one nearest looks amazing.

I saw the same optical phenomenon in Castlebar yesterday evening, I think they are referred to as sun dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

UNRALE DAY IN SOUTH MAYO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lucalux

Xenji wrote: »
    I saw the same optical phenomenon in Castlebar yesterday evening, I think they are referred to as sun dogs.

Video of it here, was shared widely by news sites around the country

http://https://www.facebook.com/CarlowWeather/videos/689893108507091/

I didn't see it myself, but my brother mentioned it to me earlier having seen it yesterday afternoon.

Looks beautiful from the video, and seeming rare too!

lucalux wrote: »
    Video of it here, was shared widely by news sites around the country

http://https://www.facebook.com/CarlowWeather/videos/689893108507091/

I didn't see it myself, but my brother mentioned it to me earlier having seen it yesterday afternoon.

Looks beautiful from the video, and seeming rare too!

It was in no way as spectacular as that here, probably about a fifth of the size.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very nice day , hazy and got increasingly cloudy towards evening here in kerry with a bit of light rain around 20.00 from high cloud, not enough to tip the bucket though.

Got a reading of 20.4C here, and currently 10.8C

ij70hxG.png?1

txint_uk_kmv7.png

Dry so far this morning in cork city with sunny spells. About 14 degrees currently. Expecting rain later on though but not much, just showers I think

A lovely sunny morning in Castlebar, 18.2C currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

A mere 14.6°c in West Clare with overcast skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Temperature stats from all of the reporting Met Eireann stations so far this April, of which is ordered from highest to lowest overall mean temperature:

91azofa.png

West is best generally speaking, though much local variation.

I should also add that against the long term (1981-2010) average, that mean temps are running just over 1.5c above for this stage of the month (for the country as a whole)

Data c/o Met Eireann.

New Moon

Newport is currently having its driest April in over 60 years although that could still possibly change by the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

Xenji wrote: »
    Newport is currently having its driest April in over 60 years although that could still possibly change by the end of the month.

Rain forecast for most of next week??

• Advertisement

It does look like we will be entering a more unsettled period next week, with next weekend looking potentially quite wet at times.

rain at times and daytime temperatures maximums between 7 and 11C for most of next week and night time temperatures possibly as low as -1C during clear skies. The temperature contrast to recent times will probably be more of a factor than the amount of rain. The west in particular will feel the chill as it's been mild or warm there for much of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭compsys

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Temperature stats from all of the reporting Met Eireann stations so far this April, of which is ordered from highest to lowest overall mean temperature:

91azofa.png

West is best generally speaking, though much local variation.

I should also add that against the long term (1981-2010) average, that mean temps are running just over 1.5c above for this stage of the month (for the country as a whole)

Data c/o Met Eireann.

I know I've said it a few times already over the years but Dublin Airport seems to be in a very unique location. It manages to be kept cold by a sea breeze during the day but at night has a temperature profile that resembles a far inland location. Quite strange.

I understand the station was moved to a cooler location a few years ago. Anyone know when?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭pqdvdplayer

21c at Newport. 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭pauldry

Newport 21c now

Costa Bravo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Very disappointing day down here relative to forecast. Its mild so if the sun broke through it would be lovely. However it is cloudy and spitting rain most of the time. We had planned to do a bbq

Very disappointing day down here relative to forecast. Its mild so if the sun broke through it would be lovely. However it is cloudy and spitting rain most of the time. We had planned to do a bbq

Sums up the week pretty much. Forecast seemed to have been way off for us all week, for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

4pm. Nice in the west

Mount Dillon 21 degrees
    Newport 21 degrees
    Claremorris 20 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Another beautiful sunny day up here as well, chilly enough breeze has kicked up in the afternoon but lovely and warm when sheltered from it

• Advertisement

17C at the moment in Meath, much warmer than recently, easily the warmest day we've had since Saturday 11th of April.

Advertisement