Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice in laptop up 500 euro price range

Options
  • 22-04-2020 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi

If anybody could help and point me in right direction of a laptop. willing to spend up to 500max new or refurbished.

Something for everyday, play football manger, use office, fast boot and program loading. will last me a few years.

Any advice and links I would really appreciate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,883 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

maddog1983 wrote: »
    Hi

If anybody could help and point me in right direction of a laptop. willing to spend up to 500max new or refurbished.

Something for everyday, play football manger, use office, fast boot and program loading. will last me a few years.

Any advice and links I would really appreciate.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lenovo-ideapad-5-ryzen-5-4500u-6-cores16gb256gbfree-dosips-screenbacklit-keyboard-at-lenovo-rewards-with-newsletter-3447308

Have a look at this. You can spec it how you want but based on the new Ryzen mobile CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Zardoz

TitianGerm wrote: »

Yes,that is a great deal .
    Lenovo are really cranking out some superb offers at the moment .

Only negative points is that the Ram is soldered to the motherboard,possibly only one slot of Ram and the housing is mostly plastic.
    Lenovo laptops seem to have an issue with throttling too .

Zardoz wrote: »
    Yes,that is a great deal .
    Lenovo are really cranking out some superb offers at the moment .

Herself needs a new one so going to order one tonight myself for her. Had a quick look and by dropping the OS I can get an IPS panel, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD for a very reasonable price.

Herself needs a new one so going to order one tonight myself for her. Had a quick look and by dropping the OS I can get an IPS panel, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD for a very reasonable price.

Yeah,I've been looking out for a decent specced laptop for months and this ticks nearly all the boxes.

I will get 2 ,one for my brother and one for myself.

An aluminium body would be nice and Lenovo only just started the 4000 series yesterday so there might be good offers on Thinkpads down the line ,the better build quality would be nice .

The other manufacturers seem to be sleeping ,their laptops are grossly overpriced in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭maddog1983

Thanks for this I will order later more than what I need and in budget appreciate it ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Just ordered one - 630e all in for:

Processor - AMD Ryzen 7 4800U Processor (1.80GHz, Max Boost up to 4.20GHz, 8 Cores, 8MB Cache)
    Operating System - Free-DOS
    Operating System Language - Free-DOS
    Memory - 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Onboard
    Second Hard Drive - 512GB Solid State Drive, M.2 2280, PCIe-NVMe, TLC
    Display - 15.6" FHD (1920x1080), IPS, Anti-glare, 2.6mm Thickness, 300nits, Narrow bezel
    Graphic Card - Integrated Graphics
    Color - Graphite Grey
    Keyboard - Keyboard Backlit Iron Grey English (UK)
    Camera - 720p HD Camera with Array Microphone
    Surface Treatment - Anodizing
    Fingerprint Reader - Fingerprint Reader
    Palmrest - PC/ABS
    Battery - 4 Cell Li-Polymer Internal Battery, 70Wh
    Power Cord - 95W AC Adapter (3pin)-UK (USB Type C)
    Wireless - Wi-Fi 6 2x2 AX, Bluetooth Version 5.0 or above
    Language Pack - Publication-English
    Warranty - 1 Year Courier or Carry-in

Naos wrote: »

Processor - AMD Ryzen 7 4800U Processor (1.80GHz, Max Boost up to 4.20GHz, 8 Cores, 8MB Cache)
    Display - 15.6" FHD (1920x1080), IPS, Anti-glare, 2.6mm Thickness, 300nits, Narrow bezel
    Color - Graphite Grey
    Palmrest - PC/ABS

Did you send to Irish or addresspal or parcel wizard etc going to order now

Good deal and hopefully more will be coming out as this chipset is more prevalent.

metal-chassis for durability and build quality for me though so will wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Color - Graphite Grey
    Palmrest - PC/ABS

That new 4800U chip is fantastic!
    Some laptop for that price!

maddog1983 wrote: »
    Did you send to Irish or addresspal or parcel wizard etc going to order now

Parcelmotel (UK), wouldn't let me ship to Irish address.

Edit: Just note - I choose without Windows and will just install it myself, they're charging 100e plus for windows 10.

• Advertisement

Yeah it appears to be great alright, seems to be a lot faster than what I was looking at.
    glasso wrote: »
    Good deal and hopefully more will be coming out as this chipset is more prevalent.

Something I did consider, but it's going to me my home laptop anyway so won't be moving it around too much. But noted for the next laptop I buy and thanks again for your help Glasso - tried to PM you a thanks but your inbox was full.

Parcelmotel (UK), wouldn't let me ship to Irish address.

Edit: Just note - I choose without Windows and will just install it myself, they're charging 100e plus for windows 10.

Ya i do same and install myself.. I'm still waiting in my 10%code to my email tho?

buy win 10 pro key on ebay for cheap is a good option.

is the ram dual-channel?

is the ram dual-channel?

From a comment on the deal:

"This is some info I have directly copied from the German deal ,its exactly the same machine .

Is the RAM single or dual channel?

According to the data sheet single, according to the test report dual channel.
    We wont know for sure until the first people receive their machines.
    My guess would be that at least the 16 GB config is dual channel."

The 4000 series looks like it will blow Intel out of the water .

certainly makes for a great video editing laptop with the 4800u and 16gb of ram and the better screen option.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Just tried to enter the passcode now and got this "Sorry! It's not you... it's us. Please email websupport@lenovo.com for assistance." Anyone else got this?

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Just tried to enter the passcode now and got this "Sorry! It's not you... it's us. Please email websupport@lenovo.com for assistance." Anyone else got this?

Looks like Lenovo have changed the access code.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

I seem to be able to go onto their site and customize a laptop for what seems to be the same price anyway so all good :D

• Advertisement

With Apple moving some of it's laptops to its own in-house arm cpus Intel are really getting it up the hole

serves them right for years and years of tiny incremental innovation when they had the dominant position.

probably not a good thing for the facilities in Ireland though.

https://venturebeat.com/2020/04/23/why-apple-macs-getting-12-core-arm-chips-in-2021-would-be-huge/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭Ryath

Very close to ordering this looks to be great deal. Is it worth upgrading from the 4500U? Wondering is screen worth doing to? Is the multitouch or 2.6 thinner screen going to be much of an upgrade. Not too pushed about the touchscreen and it would stop the kids the pawing it if it wasn't. Would go for it if the image quality was better. Hard to know I suppose as it's so new with no reviews and detailed specs.

8gb RAM is enough for me but probably should go 16gb for future proofing. I'll add the backlit keyboard and wifi 6 anyways.

would go for 4600u at least for multi-threading

better integrated graphics on the 4700u and 4800u as well as more cores.

4800u has about the same gpu power as an mx250 card.

but unless you plan on playing games (graphics) or video editing (more cores) probably not a big deal....

at least go for a 300 nit screen.

Yea was probably going to upgrade to the 4600 but the 4700 is starting to push the price up. Extra grunt is good though I do do some photo editing and a lot of the reason for the purchase is as my wifes laptop has been taken over by my 12 year old playing Sims4 I know thats not too demanding but she's probably going to want to play more pc games. I wouldn't mind doing some light gaming but I've always been more into console gaming the last few years.

Screens are all 300nits IPS
    Basic is 3.2mm thick
    Multitouch is an extra €20
    and 2.6mm thick one is an extra €30 no other specs mentioned assuming it only makes the laptop 0.6mm thinner? Maybe it is a better panel though?

As this is will be used a lot by my daughter it will be confined to a desk in the living room I was originally looking at getting a desktop but I'm finding it hard to get anything as well specced for the price. I'd pay the same as this for a desktop with similar spec and still have to get a monitor and keyboard.

Coming in at €498
    Processor : AMD Ryzen 5 4600U Processor (2.10GHz, Max Boost up to 4.00GHz, 6 Cores, 8MB Cache)
    Operating System : Free-DOS
    Operating System Language : Free-DOS
    Memory : 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Onboard
    Second Hard Drive : 256GB Solid State Drive, M.2 2242, PCIe-NVMe, TLC
    Display : 15.6" FHD (1920x1080), IPS, Anti-glare, 3.2mm Thickness, 300nits, Narrow bezel
    Graphic Card : Integrated Graphics
    Color : Graphite Grey
    Keyboard : Keyboard Backlit Iron Grey English (UK)
    Camera : 720p HD Camera with Array Microphone
    Surface Treatment : Anodizing
    Fingerprint Reader : Fingerprint Reader
    Palmrest : PC/ABS
    Battery : 4 Cell Li-Polymer Internal Battery, 70Wh
    Power Cord : 95W AC Adapter (3pin)-UK (USB Type C)
    Wireless : Wi-Fi 6 2x2 AX, Bluetooth Version 5.0 or above
    Language Pack : Publication-English
    Warranty : 1 Year Courier or Carry-in

Found a better breakdown of specs. One screen has better colour range but doesn't say which one. Is it safe to assume the thinner model is the better one.

https://gzhls.at/blob/ldb/0/b/4/a/acea1a60ef1ee309a43c407092fc09ac66c6.pdf

Ryath wrote: »
    Screens are all 300nits IPS
    Basic is 3.2mm thick
    Multitouch is an extra €20
    and 2.6mm thick one is an extra €30 no other specs mentioned assuming it only makes the laptop 0.6mm thinner? Maybe it is a better panel though?

The most expensive screen is 100% sRGB ,the others are 62% .
    The most expensive screen also has an aluminium lid whereas the others are most likely plastic.

It's not that clear on the Irish site if that is the case with the screen.

According to spec in pdf the top of the display case is aluminium and the bottom is too if you get a model with usb c charging. If you don't the bottom case is plastic. Apparently it's often hard to know what you get with lenovo as they may use different manufactures for the same particular part on the same model. Still temped though even in base spec it's a great deal . Though I better decide am I better of just holding out for a deal on a desktop before lenovo change the code again!

Ryath wrote: »
    It's not that clear on the Irish site if that is the case with the screen.

According to spec in pdf the top of the display case is aluminium and the bottom is too if you get a model with usb c charging. If you don't the bottom case is plastic. Apparently it's often hard to know what you get with lenovo as they may use different manufactures for the same particular part on the same model. Still temped though even in base spec it's a great deal . Though I better decide am I better of just holding out for a deal on a desktop before lenovo change the code again!

The German website mydealz.de has over 2550 posts on this laptop , thats where I got the info.
    Found a better breakdown of specs. One screen has better colour range but doesn't say which one. Is it safe to assume the thinner model is the better one.

https://gzhls.at/blob/ldb/0/b/4/a/acea1a60ef1ee309a43c407092fc09ac66c6.pdf

Thats the 14 inch version btw

As its a new model the exact spec is a bit unknown and it could vary by region .
    Its a bit of an unknown .
    It looks like the memory is single channel too and soldered on which is a huge drawback.
    An all metal body would be great but its most likely part plastic .

has the touch screen a bad sRGB coverage also?

• Advertisement

has the touch screen a bad sRGB coverage also?

Yes

Advertisement