Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R. I. P. John Prine

Options
  • 08-04-2020 4:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,355 ✭✭✭✭

Sad stuff, it didn't look good when news came out he'd caught the virus.

Fuck this fucking horrible yoke of a godawful thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Arghus wrote: »
    Sad stuff, it didn't look good when news came out he'd caught the virus.

Fuck this fucking horrible yoke of a godawful thing.

https://youtu.be/csAp1KeueUU

Nathalie Merchant and Michael Stripe live performance of "Hello in there"; which we can only do remotely now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Only discovered his music in the last year & fell instantly in love with his witty lyrics.

Very sad

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Let his ashes float down the Green River
    Let his soul roll on up to the Rochester dam
    He'll be half way to heaven with p(P?)aradise waiting
    Five miles away from whereever he is

Goodbye and thanks John.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sad loss .... seen him for the 1st time live a couple of years back in Derry.

Fantastic talent... RIP

RIP John Prine, the old man upstairs has no sense of humour at all. If there was a more droll singer-songwriter, I haven't heard of him. His wry take on life will never be equaled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Technique

NIMAN wrote: »
    Sad loss .... seen him for the 1st time live a couple of years back in Derry.

Fantastic talent... RIP

His wife's from Donegal (Ardara) so he probably spent a bit of time here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Loved his voice, his lyrics, his melodies..so sad to hear that. So many of his lyrics would just randomly come in to my head over the years. He had a wonderful way with words.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

RIP John.

Thanks for the songs.

There's a hole in daddy's arm where all the money goes.

Great line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

This one hits close to home for me, I grew up listening to John as my dad is a big fan. Didn't really appreciate him until I got a bit older but find myself regularly going back to his music now. He had an incomparable way with words. Capable of going from poignant and thought provoking to absurd in his lyrics, sometimes several times in one song. I'm glad I was lucky enough to see him live a few years ago. RIP.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,038 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

My dad used to sing this a lot.....

RIP John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Pretty good in his prine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Angel From Montgomery is a cracker of a tune.

RIP to the fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Recently got into him and my god the hype is real -he was up there with the best of them in terms of American singer songwriters.

Had a distinctive voice too which often lent itself to the lyrics.

RIP

Recently got into him and my god the hype is real -he was up there with the best of them in terms of American singer songwriters.

Had a distinctive voice too which often lent itself to the lyrics.

RIP

Same here, just recently got into his music, the beauty of Spotify!
    Beautiful lyricist and unique voice! R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

RIP John, true gent and brilliant witty songwriter

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

zorro2566 wrote:
    Same here, just recently got into his music, the beauty of Spotify! Beautiful lyricist and unique voice! R.I.P.

Sitting in my garden last summer sipping ice cold beer and listening to my Bob Dylan collection. Bob Dylan playlist comes to an end & Spotify throws up "In Spite Of Ourselves". I nearly choked on the beer I laughed so hard. This was my introduction to John Prine. It was Love at first sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

Loved Prine's genius. One of my favourites is Dear Abby. A brilliant and funny song. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

John also had some ideas about what should happen to him now:

Woke up this morning
    Put on my slippers
    Walked in the kitchen and died
    And oh what a feeling!
    When my soul
    Went thru the ceiling
    And on up into heaven I did ride

When I got there they did say
    John, it happened this way
    You slipped upon the floor
    And hit your head
    And all the angels say
    Just before you passed away
    These were the very last words
    That you said:

Please don't bury me
    Down in that cold cold ground
    No, I'd druther have 'em' cut me up
    And pass me all around
    Throw my brain in a hurricane
    And the blind can have my eyes
    And the deaf can take both of my ears
    If they don't mind the size

Give my stomach to Milwaukee
    If they run out of beer
    Put my socks in a cedar box
    Just get "em" out of here
    Venus de Milo can have my arms
    Look out! I've got your nose
    Sell my heart to the junkman
    And give my love to Rose

Give my feet to the footloose
    Careless, fancy free
    Give my knees to the needy
    Don't pull that stuff on me
    Hand me down my walking cane
    It's a sin to tell a lie
    Send my mouth way down south
    And kiss my ass goodbye.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Devastating loss.

Surely, surely some people close to him and Fiona should have had a strong word and isolated them. John was one of the people I was really concerned for when this kicked off.

dixiefly wrote: »
    Devastating loss.

Surely, surely some people close to him and Fiona should have had a strong word and isolated them. John was one of the people I was really concerned for when this kicked off.

From what I read, Fiona had it first and got over it and then John got it.

According to John Creedon this evening JP had got over neck cancer, then lung cancer and had half a lung removed recently. I'd say the fight was gone out of him by this stage.

One of life's good guys by all accounts. I know two lads from Nenagh who went to see him whenever they could. Whenever they were in the audience John always made sure to send a message out to them to come backstage for a chat after the show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mcdaids69

Technique wrote: »
    His wife's from Donegal (Ardara) so he probably spent a bit of time here.

he visited every year to tipperary to his buddy philip donnelly who sadly passed last year..i used to work in bar with folk clubs in a place called mc daids..met philip a few times.john played their in 2003 and 2005..theirs some great stuff out their from philip as well.ya john prine had loads of stuff recently i could see him coming back big time ..all the steven colbert stuff made him bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

mcdaids69 wrote: »
    he visited every year to tipperary to his buddy philip donnelly who sadly passed last year..i used to work in bar with folk clubs in a place called mc daids..met philip a few times.john played their in 2003 and 2005..theirs some great stuff out their from philip as well.ya john prine had loads of stuff recently i could see him coming back big time ..all the steven colbert stuff made him bigger.

I knew Philip myself and he lived his later years in my town. I remember meeting him in a local bar with a group of people, John Prine being one of them and Nancy Griffith being the other. At the time, I didnt recognise Prine as my image of him was of a much younger man but I did recognise Nancy. I remember meeting him afterwards and asking him if that was Nancys husband to which he replied, That was John Prine from Illinois you buffoon!! I was raging that I never got to properly say hello. Philip himself passed away just before Christmas. I guess they're having a great old session up in the great gig in the sky.

Forgot to say. John Creedon told a story of when the doctor told Prine that the lung operation was risky and if he were to survive he probably wouldn't be able to sing again. Prine replied, "I never could sing anyway".

philip was some charecter.hed sit for hours talking about his carrer gloating almost.everly brothers mention x100 ,donavan..LOL...i was thinking other night he passed quick,what was story their,i knew about his heart,he came across as very down in dumps,

mcdaids69 wrote: »
    philip was some charecter.hed sit for hours talking about his carrer gloating almost.everly brothers mention x100 ,donavan..LOL...i was thinking other night he passed quick,what was story their,i knew about his heart,he came across as very down in dumps,

I believe he had been sick for a while but he kept that side of his life private. He was a character alright, I remember the first time I met him after a gig and going away thinking Jaysus this lad is full of ****e.. I played with this star, wrote with this guy, met this fella.. I later found out most if not all of it was 100% true. He was always a bit mellow, never thought of him as down in the dumps though.

He had a gig about 10yrs ago after he had been very sick and it featured a load of top singers joining him, He was telling a few lads in the bar one night that Donovan was gonna come up and jam with him, (the equivalent of the scene in the Commitments movie where Lester Piggot was lined up to jam with the band) True enough on the night, I was in the other part of the bar dealing with something and there he was Donovan, he went on to do a set with Philip and stayed for on afterwards. He came up to me at one stage to ask me something and was surprised that I knew who he was..

It always annoyed me that I didn't recognise John Prine that night though. Suppose he was the last person you would expect to see in your local.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,135 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

R.I.P.
    I only heard tonight, and his tour dates still up on songkick :(

Very sad
    Great lyricist (as mentioned)

I believe he had been sick for a while but he kept that side of his life private. He was a character alright, I remember the first time I met him after a gig and going away thinking Jaysus this lad is full of ****e.. I played with this star, wrote with this guy, met this fella.. I later found out most if not all of it was 100% true. He was always a bit mellow, never thought of him as down in the dumps though.

He had a gig about 10yrs ago after he had been very sick and it featured a load of top singers joining him, He was telling a few lads in the bar one night that Donovan was gonna come up and jam with him, (the equivalent of the scene in the Commitments movie where Lester Piggot was lined up to jam with the band) True enough on the night, I was in the other part of the bar dealing with something and there he was Donovan, he went on to do a set with Philip and stayed for on afterwards. He came up to me at one stage to ask me something and was surprised that I knew who he was..

It always annoyed me that I didn't recognise John Prine that night though. Suppose he was the last person you would expect to see in your local.
    i had a few of those in my bar too.philip made his live in midleton cd in our place :pac: .donavan is living outside cork for years .i was taking bags of bottles to get recycled and got cut on my knee...had promised philip id turn up and give him a hand with gear.sure as you know it i needed 10 stichs went to hospital came back,was wozzy and needing sleep cos of blood loss LOL...but i turned up got pissed after and was making old el paso stuff at 4am ...i have a permanent scar on my knee from one of days meeting philip :pac::D:D:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

He had a gig about 10yrs ago after he had been very sick and it featured a load of top singers joining him, He was telling a few lads in the bar one night that Donovan was gonna come up and jam with him, (the equivalent of the scene in the Commitments movie where Lester Piggot was lined up to jam with the band

Lester Piggot? Now that'd be a show and half. Hopefully he'd bring his half brother Wilson Picket with him too.

Saw Prine a couple of year ago in The Bord Gais, great show.

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    Lester Piggot? Now that'd be a show and half. Hopefully he'd bring his half brother Wilson Picket with him too.

My bad.. Late night brain :(

Advertisement