Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Corsa: diesel particulate filter full

Options
  • 03-04-2020 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi All,

I have a 161 Corsa and there's a message saying the "Diesel Particulate Filter Full.Continued Driving Mandatory". I've driven it for as long as I can and it's still there. I'm an essential worker so I still need to drive my car to get to work. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Afurosan wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have a 161 Corsa and there's a message saying the "Diesel Particulate Filter Full.Continued Driving Mandatory". I've driven it for as long as I can and it's still there. I'm an essential worker so I still need to drive my car to get to work. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Thanks.

What do you mean by that?

You need to drive continuously at relatively high revs, a long spin on a motorway would be ideal.

If your regular driving is stop-start without any long stints then this should sort it out but the issue will recur, if you already drive long journeys like that then there may be an underlying problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭greasepalm

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Afurosan

Vic_08 wrote: »

You need to drive continuously at relatively high revs, a long spin on a motorway would be ideal.

If your regular driving is stop-start without any long stints then this should sort it out but the issue will recur, if you already drive long journeys like that then there may be an underlying problem.

I drove it on the motorway at 120kph in 4th gear for 40mins with no luck :(. Considering the current situation, I can't just keep driving further either.

I was wondering if this is it's even a true alarm as it is just a warning on the dash, rather than the light turning on. I've attached the photo

greasepalm wrote: »

I've tried that option too but I can't find anywhere that can deliver it online. I don't know if i can find it at petrol stations either - I haven't found it around here though.

Try micks garage as i think they are still open.Are you a member of AA as it might need a scan to see if something else is causing it as both are showing a fault on dash.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Vic_08 wrote: »

High revs dont clear the DPF. You need to get the car upto temp, and then proceed for a period of time.

Op 40 minutes wouldnt be long enough. And you should go up the gears as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would say you’ll need to force a regen via software.

Sake thing happened a relative, they ended up replacing the filter for megabucks. Their usage was just unsuited to a diesel car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭patrickc

Mine was on today on my Volvo, I haven't been driving far lately.

I drove for about 30k in 3rd gear at an average speed of 85kph and my car cleared the warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

In fairness to it, there a decent bit of mileage on it as well for a 161.

Try micks garage as i think they are still open.Are you a member of AA as it might need a scan to see if something else is causing it as both are showing a fault on dash.

I've tried. There's just a message on the dpf products saying they don't deliver the product to Ireland. It's might not be safe to post..

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I would say you’ll need to force a regen via software.

Sake thing happened a relative, they ended up replacing the filter for megabucks. Their usage was just unsuited to a diesel car.

This is what I was thinking but seeing as there are no mechanics open, I'm not sure what to do with it. Usually, I drive my car daily 40 mins to and from work and I'd be hitting 80kph but I've had to keep the car alone for 2 weeks.

High revs dont clear the DPF. You need to get the car upto temp, and then proceed for a period of time.

Op 40 minutes wouldnt be long enough. And you should go up the gears as normal.

Thanks you. I'll try again for longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

I've tried. There's just a message on the dpf products saying they don't deliver the product to Ireland. It's might not be safe to post..

Parcel Motel / Parcel wizard / Address Pal

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

patrickc wrote: »
    Mine was on today on my Volvo, I haven't been driving far lately.

I drove for about 30k in 3rd gear at an average speed of 85kph and my car cleared the warning.

Why didn't you just drive in 5th gear?

The revs have nothing to do with the dpf.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

There seems to be a long running theory that dogging a car will induce a regen.

I'd tend to think if the car has no underlying faults the regen should happen under normal driving conditions.

I googled dpf regen and there were a few places saying to drive the car at over 2000rpm.

Most DPFs just need consistent driving to regen, a steady drive in any gear at any speed should help. 30 minutes motorway at 100kmh in 5th or 6th gear if you have it should do. Some cars wont regen if there is less than a certain amount of fuel on board too so, dont know about Opels but I suppose make sure you have over a half a tank and head out for a spin for 30 or 40 minutes on a main road driving normally. If that doesn't work you probably have a fault.

Some cars won’t regen if the glow plugs aren’t good either.

Most DPFs just need consistent driving to regen, a steady drive in any gear at any speed should help. 30 minutes motorway at 100kmh in 5th or 6th gear if you have it should do. Some cars wont regen if there is less than a certain amount of fuel on board too so, dont know about Opels but I suppose make sure you have over a half a tank and head out for a spin for 30 or 40 minutes on a main road driving normally. If that doesn't work you probably have a fault.

I'll try filling the tank and give it a spin again. It just got a full service last month so I'm hoping it's not a fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭patrickc

my bad I always thought the revs things was to burn off the soot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

Parcel Motel / Parcel wizard / Address Pal

Terms and conditions for parcel motel are no liquids.
    Id assume the other 2 are the same.
    I wouldnt trust adresspal eithre. Too much goes missing or gets broken or they refuse to take delivery of it

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'll try filling the tank and give it a spin again. It just got a full service last month so I'm hoping it's not a fault.

The blocking might be because of your style of usage or lack of.

9935452 wrote: »
    Terms and conditions for parcel motel are no liquids.
    Id assume the other 2 are the same.
    I wouldnt trust adresspal eithre. Too much goes missing or gets broken or they refuse to take delivery of it

I found Redex on the Lidl special buy magazine so I'll pop in and see if they have any here.

I wouldnt waste your money tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I wonder...
    How essential it is to make sure your car's DPF doesn't muck up on you? My own isn't appreciating the driving it's forced into post lockdown.

I’ve done a run up the motorway in mine just in case.

Well if stopped by the Gardai tell them its a diesel and needs a motorway burn as going down to the shop could be a killer for it and expensive.Now people are finding that buying a diesel sucks big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

Could be just the sensor rather than the DPF actually being in need of a regen? It's something only a garage is going the able to check though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Could be a faulty vapouriser too. Replaced one on my dirty diesel last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Well if stopped by the Gardai tell them its a diesel and needs a motorway burn as going down to the shop could be a killer for it and expensive.Now people are finding that buying a diesel sucks big time.

Or that they are buying the wrong car for their needs.

Advertisement