Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any one going self sufficient

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Anyone have a link to a step-by-step process to plant potatoes??

Im off for foreseeable future,if i get all little niggly jobs done,boredom might set in and il plant a few!!

I'm Going no dig. Make beds, plant them a couple of Inches below the surface and cover in woodchips.

Had a local spud farmer up ploughing my garden who recommended neversink farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Anyone have a link to a step-by-step process to plant potatoes??

- prepare ground*
    - lay out seed potatoes;
    - cover seed potatoes;
    - keep butting up as the shoots grow*
    - harvest

* how you prepare the ground depends on what growing (and harvesting) strategy you want to use. I use my spuds both as a dinner crop and a way of getting patches of ground into good condition after years of neglect.

For a "neglected" area, in year 1 I clear it with a strimmer, run a rotavator over it a few times, plant my saved-from-last-year marbles in deep drills and pretty much ignore them till the autumn. The potato plants themselves keep most of the weeds down, and I don't worry too much about butting them up because flattening the drills after harvest is extra work.

If I'm going for quick-and-easy, then I lie the potatoes directly onto previously worked soil (could have been fallow for two years or more) and cover with something organic (old straw-and-manure when I still had it, or more recently grass clippings) and keep topping that up. This is my "no-dig" technique, and also helps to get the soil back into condition for the following year.

This year, I have one nephew and one niece back in Dublin that are competing to see which of them can grow the best crop from a single potato each (my Christmas present to the family! :D ) They're growing them in big buckets: a layer of soil in the bottom, potato on top, covered with more soil & keep topping up as the plant grows until you run out of bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Glad the clucks are upping their output with the longer days - proper eggs seem to be in very short supply in the shops according to other family members, unless you want to buy rubbish from battery stock

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Glad the clucks are upping their output with the longer days - proper eggs seem to be in very short supply in the shops according to other family members, unless you want to buy rubbish from battery stock

No battery chickens now, barn or free range omly

Slava Ukrainii

No battery chickens now, barn or free range omly

I'm getting 4 a day and planning on more birds when my new coop is built

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I have to do something with our chickens.
    They are older and no eggs this year at all, I think they are done. But they were pets for the kids and youngest knows each of the four from each other.

May have to make space and just increase the flock.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,120 ✭✭✭✭Water John

To eat an old hen you really have to boil it not roast it. When I was young, absolutely hated it.

We made curried sausages yesterday.

https://m.imgur.com/a/JxHel3E

Very tasty 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

_Brian wrote: »
    We made curried sausages yesterday.

https://m.imgur.com/a/JxHel3E

Very tasty 😋

Curried snags a great bush dish out this side, wgat curry did ye use? Can Keen's curry powder be got at home?

Better living everyone

Curried snags a great bush dish out this side, wgat curry did ye use? Can Keen's curry powder be got at home?

Just used a medium curry powder from Aldi, not curry sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Think I've pulled a ligament in right hand putting in veg 2day:(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Think I've pulled a ligament in right hand putting in veg 2day:(

Putting in veg......yeah right ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

With the lazy bed method where you dig and turn over the sod on top do you get as good a yield of potatoes as you would by ploughing and making drills. Might try a drill of potatoes this way probably was the traditional way of sowing around the country

bizidea wrote: »
    With the lazy bed method where you dig and turn over the sod on top do you get as good a yield of potatoes as you would by ploughing and making drills. Might try a drill of potatoes this way probably was the traditional way of sowing around the country

No buts it a great way to break up ground. It is nearly 40 years since I planted spuds that way. If the ground has had no spuds in it for 6-8 years the crop should be ok anyway.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I was trying to explain it to someone today in easy terms!!
    Leitrim do 9/9/9/9
    9 inches each side flipped onto the unmoved 18in middle. Soil on top.

Dad here does 8 because why not, & puts dung in the middle & soil on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

No buts it a great way to break up ground. It is nearly 40 years since I planted spuds that way. If the ground has had no spuds in it for 6-8 years the crop should be ok anyway.

Might try doing a ridge for the craic probably be better trying it on a maincrop than first earlies id be thinking

Got the garden rotovated today and started my raised beds for spuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eamonn8448

Got the garden rotovated today and started my raised beds for spuds.

why not go for ridges ? you'll get a better yield i think anyway

Eamonn8448 wrote: »
    why not go for ridges ? you'll get a better yield i think anyway
    had them last year. Caused more work for the rest of the veg.
    turning a ridge to a bed.
    I'm going no dig this year so want beds set up

I just need to spray roundup on the grass that comes up over the next few weeks on the unplanted ground

had them last year. Caused more work for the rest of the veg.
    turning a ridge to a bed.
    I'm going no dig this year so want beds set up

I just need to spray roundup on the grass that comes up over the next few weeks on the unplanted ground

perhaps if you want to go organic try getting a roll of the black pallet wrap on the ground between the beds , its cheap enough , worked a treat for me a few years ago , if you dont have a lot of unplanted ground

• Advertisement

perhaps if you want to go organic try getting a roll of the black pallet wrap on the ground between the beds , its cheap enough , worked a treat for me a few years ago , if you dont have a lot of unplanted ground

9waves

I got a load of silage covers off Buford last year (waves) which is working well.

A local tree surgeon is dropping me in loads of wood chip which i plan putting down on walkways and some of the beds. It will keep the weeds down and turn to mulch over time.

Buford- Is there anywhere around to get Boron?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

9waves

I got a load of silage covers off Buford last year (waves) which is working well.

A local tree surgeon is dropping me in loads of wood chip which i plan putting down on walkways and some of the beds. It will keep the weeds down and turn to mulch over time.

Buford- Is there anywhere around to get Boron?

Kellihers in Clash may have it or Kellihers in Ballymullen, I know that Ballymullen used do sprays so they should have something. Both should be open these days though best to ring first, I'd say.

I would say somewhere like Woodies or Kellihers in Rock Street might have it in smaller quantities that might suit better but I think they're closed these days.

If you have no luck with those, there's guys out this side that do sprays that could have some as well. I can send you their numbers to see as they're doing ring and collect.

Kellihers in Clash are open was there yesterday , for smaller quantities try jimmy in kelihers in rock street , ring him first and he'll meet you at the back door , if you got no luck i'll sort you some out i know a few that grow turnips, woodies is closed as far as i know

Thanks guys. I tried kellihers in clash and am picking up a bag later.
    Going over to Browne's then to get 25kg of homeguards for a fiver :)

Thats sounds very cheap for homeguards you sure its not 2.5kg lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Too me potatoes are a field crop rather than a garden crop. It costs you money to grow them.

I never bother with them

Thats sounds very cheap for homeguards you sure its not 2.5kg lol

Picked them up this evening. Definitely 25kg bag. I'll tell you how many I can use when I open it. :D

Too me potatoes are a field crop rather than a garden crop. It costs you money to grow them.

I never bother with them

Potatoes are easy to grow and now are expensive to buy especially new potatoes. Last Saturday for about a mixed half stone of spuds, a 12 tray of cabbage ( there was seventeen in it) a tray of lettuce and a half point off onions for a tenner. At a guess there will be 100 euro of stuff off them. Spud are easiest to grow and nearly dearest to buy now

Slava Ukrainii

got ten stone of queens , pound of mixed onions for 70 euro on monday , went a bit mad on the plough out of boredom on saturday but got all the queens planted , got 80 cabbage plants for free and spent about another five on various seeds , often spent more on a night out , besides the weather was perfect and it stopped me from going idle , money well spent in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

20200401_181501.jpg this is my 3rd Hen coop keeps 6 hens easily and not much work in them.

Advertisement