Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christy Goes Modren

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

Omackeral wrote: »
    Christy Moore is a sweaty aul bollox.

had some class tunes back in the day tho
    with his sweaty auld bollix

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Here's another cantankerous auld bollocks with an overinflated sense of himself.

It's beautiful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Credit where credit is due.

Christy Moore has a talent that people warm to.

This person is just a humourless fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,385 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

anewme wrote: »
    Credit where credit is due.

Christy Moore has a talent that people warm to.

I think that's just since he stopped drinking, he was better craic with alcohol. I suppose we all are though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Here's another cantankerous auld bollocks with an overinflated sense of himself.

It's beautiful though.

It really is. He has some amazing catalogue which at least gives him some right to feel like he has an unusual talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

LaFuton wrote: »
    today i learned from local radio Emmet Spiceland was actually an alrite folk band, i only knew the name from yer man here, always liked his name, had a cool funk about it, turns out its an actual thing!

well played sir

Great group. Brendan Bendar's hero, Ronan Collins, often gives them a "spin".

We had a great night and following day here in the village over 10 years ago. Andy Irvine was booked for a gig in the local and the owner had to go away at short notice. Before going he told the barman to "look after" Andy and make sure he wanted for nothing. After the show said barman, myself and a few others did a marathon session with Andy over 3 villages until 6 the following evening. Paul Brady arrived to collect Andy to go to a gig somewhere else. Brady was beside himself with anger and tore into Paddy the barman. Paddy told him to go and f*** himself. He was "just following orders".

You'd have to be there.

sounds like a good night

pascal gave them a spin 2day on ocean and had a story as well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

darlett wrote: »
    It really is. He has some amazing catalogue which at least gives him some right to feel like he has an unusual talent.

Too much showing off on the guitar for me.

A definite cantankerous bollix though, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

sligojoek wrote: »
    Great group. Brendan Bendar's hero, Ronan Collins, often gives them a "spin".

We had a great night and following day here in the village over 10 years ago. Andy Irvine was booked for a gig in the local and the owner had to go away at short notice. Before going he told the barman to "look after" Andy and make sure he wanted for nothing. After the show said barman, myself and a few others did a marathon session with Andy over 3 villages until 6 the following evening. Paul Brady arrived to collect Andy to go to a gig somewhere else. Brady was beside himself with anger and tore into Paddy the barman. Paddy told him to go and f*** himself. He was "just following orders".

You'd have to be there.

Went to see Andy in the local here a few years back, brilliant gig. What a musician.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Isn't it strange how people have gone off him since he became an insufferable príck

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Always felt he had a good “version” of Black Sabbath’s ‘Paranoid’ in him, myself.

War Pigs.

"Eejits queueing up in masses, buying paper for their asses"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

My Favourite

It's beautiful though.

21/25

uch wrote: »
    Isn't it strange how people have gone off him since he became an insufferable príck

apparently he doesn't let people go to the bar to grab a pint during the show and if the audience claps he puts down his guitar and goes on strike.

Went to see Andy in the local here a few years back, brilliant gig. What a musician.

Ya. He played here several times. With Donal Lunny, Patrick Street and another band name who's escapes me with some eastern European guys.

Absolute legend and always stayed on to chat with punters after the show.

Ya. He played here several times. With Donal Lunny, Patrick Street and another band name who's escapes me with some eastern European guys.

Mozaic

Finding it terrible hard to remember who was with him due to porter consumption but Lunny was there for sure. Possibly a chap on uilleann pipes too, not sure if it was Liam O'Flynn (RIP) or the chap from Moving Hearts. One of those nights where the music takes ya!

To be fair to Christy. I saw Movin hearts on my 18 th birthday and I was blown away. Up to then I'd only ever seen a few C&W and rebel song bands in pubs. Movin Hearts were another level. I saw him solo several times after that and always came away satisfied. Around 1990 he changed and has never been the same.

To be fair to Christy. I saw Movin hearts on my 18 th birthday and I was blown away. Up to then I'd only ever seen a few C&W and rebel song bands in pubs. Movin Hearts were another level. I saw him solo several times after that and always came away satisfied. Around 1990 he changed and has never been the same.

Changed the trad game with MH, bringing the jazz-fusion into it. Never seen them live but the Live in Dublin DVD is possibly the best 20 quid I ever spent. The lads are virtuosos. Like an Irish Bela Fleck band.

uch wrote: »
    My Favourite

I love The Island, so poignant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Slideways

LaFuton wrote: »
    apparently he doesn't let people go to the bar to grab a pint during the show and if the audience claps he puts down his guitar and goes on strike.

I’ve been a fan of Christys all my life, my dad played it non stop when I was a young fella and the first CD that came into our house was Unfinished Revolution if I remember correctly.

Been to see him several times and yes, the bar in the venue is closed and you can only come and go between songs. They usually have a bar outside the actual room he is playing in and there’s no drama being your drink in.

Certain songs he will stop playing if people clap but he doesn’t “go on strike”

His new stuff is dog shyte. Absolute muck and he is getting very much like bono.

Declan Sinnott who normally accompanied him of late is a fantastic guitarist and worth a listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Slideways

Oh. The original videos in the OP, I’d rather **** in my hand and clap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Ok..least positive thing about the virus...if we had no internet these 'celebs' would just have to shut up and stay quiet in isolation.

And I thought I didnt mind him occasionally. *Deep sigh*

don't get me wrong. i fcuckin love Christy, his music was with me for everything, and i cudnt give a shight if he got particular with gigs, he's earned it.

the man got me out of a hole after many a break up :)

Nancy's pain

gonna lash on live at the point album now :) 4 more cold cans Guinness and only gardening to do tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I would agree with Moore's policies.
    I don't know why you need to be sipping booze when you are listening. Just wait until you get to the boozer later and fill your boots.
    As for getting up and leaving in the middle of a song - unjustifiable outside coronary incidents.
    Plenty of time to clap when the song is done too.

Then again I would go to his shows to hear the damned music. Not just so I can try to impress people afterwards by telling them I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Ok..least positive thing about the virus...if we had no internet these 'celebs' would just have to shut up and stay quiet in isolation.

And I thought I didnt mind him occasionally. *Deep sigh*

You do know, that it actually isn't Christy singing the songs ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Handy11

OP here. :)
    When I saw this was moved to After Hours I expected a roasting.

I did the Rage one for a bit of craic, in a few mins where the kids were quiet. Thought a few friends would get a laugh out of it but I’d never do another one. Went down better than expected and I was asked to do more. So I have. Bit of fun to do and gives me something to focus on, which is no harm these days. I get nothing from it, but am happy that people get a laugh from it. That’s the point, really. It’s certainly not for everyone. As long as some get a kick from it I’ll do it.

I’m a Christy fan (old Christy - 70s). Christy himself has seen it, said he found the face thing “spooky” and has given absolution/goahead to continue. So f*ckit, I’ll stay going.
    He has an awful accent, is it genuine or put on?
    I have a terrible accent. But of course it’s exaggerated.
    I doubt he had a Game of Thrones-esque budget for it in fairness.
    :) A €1.99 app. It’s not exactly ILM. Does enough, I reckon.
    And less tattoos
    :D they can’t be helped.
    anewme wrote: »
    It’s far from art. It’s a skit, and not for everyone. Thankfully nobody has to listen any further than they wish!! I’ll take this on board and try to defool a bit.
    greenspurs wrote: »
    You do know, that it actually isn't Christy singing the songs ?
    Hahaha. A few comments on YouTube and Facebook where people definitely (and bizarrely) thought it was Christy Moore, asking me for some of his classics. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Well done Handy11....

I found it funny.
    Fair play for coming back on, when you knew that the begrudgers/less humourless amongst us would berate/insult/condemn what you did.

Fcuk the begrudgers… "Ride On" ;)

Can you play the bodhran ? :P :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Fair play, "Handy", keep them coming. Some of us are getting a good laugh out of it!

• Advertisement

I just looked at a few seconds of each and I thought it was Christy.

No chance of Mensa headhunting me now! :pac:

Advertisement