Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies that would no longer work if written today

Options

Comments

All Home Alone movies

• Registered Users Posts: 13,342 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Some clowns think the fact that there are n1gger jokes in the script, that makes it a non-PC movie. The racist jokes are at the expense of the racists in that movie.

Are there really that many people who don't get the idea of satire? We have the likes of South Park on tv and it never really seems to make too many waves.
    I think you could make Blazing Saddles again and the people complaining would just be a bunch of people who complain about everything else on twitter; people we largely ignore anyway.
    I wonder if the PC brigade is a group whose importance highly inflated due to their visibility online and the counter-complainer need for a bogeyman to rail against.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,021 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

kowloon wrote: »
    Are there really that many people who don't get the idea of satire? We have the likes of South Park on tv and it never really seems to make too many waves.
    I think you could make Blazing Saddles again and the people complaining would just be a bunch of people who complain about everything else on twitter; people we largely ignore anyway.
    I wonder if the PC brigade is a group whose importance highly inflated due to their visibility online and the counter-complainer need for a bogeyman to rail against.

Yeah I think there are loads of people who don't get it. Those people end up on both the PC vs "PC gone mad" argument. Whenever this topic comes up, Blazing Saddles is sited as a movie that couldn't be made today because its not PC. Those people never get that it's so PC its a "right on" movie. If it was remade, they'd pan it for being too PC but it was always a PC movie.

I always think South Park is a perfect example of how you can make this kind of vulgar satire now. I love South Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Airplane............."I speak Jive"

https://youtu.be/g0j2dVuhr6s?t=58

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I re-watched 12 Angry Men this afternoon.

That would need a new name and a much more diverse cast these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This always amuses me. The Anit-PC Brigade think Blazing Saddles wasn't a PC movie. It's a movie about a town with a white population, run by a corrupt white mayor, terrorised by a white crime gang and all the white people in the town are too scarred to do anything about it. Then a black lad arrives and saves all the white people who have to challenge their racism and prejudices, to embrace him as he saves the town. If they made it now the same anti-PC people would call it PC gone mad.

Some clowns think the fact that there are n1gger jokes in the script, that makes it a non-PC movie. The racist jokes are at the expense of the racists in that movie.

Prior had a hand in writing the script anyway and both himself and Little supported the liberal use of the word in the film. Brookes too has admitted he would not get away with it now but then there's no film!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Airplane............."I speak Jive"

https://youtu.be/g0j2dVuhr6s?t=58

it'd be 'patwah' now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Life of Brian.

The "I want to be called Loretta" sketch would never make it past the Transphobiaphobes today.

They’re not commissioning the industry though these things still go ahead

Look here, one of the great cinematic moments of our time. Potential for all sorts of outrage but I didn’t hear it:

I suppose either way though it’s either diversity personified or the nightmare scenario. Depends on your perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I re-watched 12 Angry Men this afternoon.

That would need a new name and a much more diverse cast these days.

"12 People with Issues!" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

American Beauty - Kevin Spacey perving on a young wan

Might not go down so well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

They'd probably just call it "The Jury" or just plain "12" instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bonny!

White Chicks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,342 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

12 Monkeys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Kylta wrote: »
    Carry on up the kybher

The biggest nationalist **** of a story to come out of Britain until the brexit campaign.

But yeah nobody would make that today. (Not that that's a bad thing.)

Three Kings

• Registered Users Posts: 15,873 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The Jazz Singer....Maaaammy!

The Snapper...the car bonnet impregnation scene.

Lolita.

The biggest nationalist **** of a story to come out of Britain until the brexit campaign.

But yeah nobody would make that today. (Not that that's a bad thing.)

You don't seem to grasp that it's a parody of nationalist ****.

The Crying Game

Ace Ventura Pet Detective

Ace Ventura Pet Detective

That shouldn't have been made in 1st place

I seen that in cinema as a young lad and taught it was pure stupid then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Song of the South

Disney really wants that one buried!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

The Jazz Singer....Maaaammy!

The Snapper...the car bonnet impregnation scene.

Lolita.

The Snapper, oh god yeah, the conversations I've heard about that are ludicrous

The Simpsons Movie

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Porky's for this scene among others:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Or Jackie Gleason in Smokey and the Bandit:

Most of his lines were improvised.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Life of Brian.

The "I want to be called Loretta" sketch would never make it past the Transphobiaphobes today.

Speaking of Transphobes...
    tenor.gif

There's another that would never be made now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

You don't seem to grasp that it's a parody of nationalist ****.

Only saw clips of it but it looked like a celebration of it to me, parody or not

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Heathers.

Only saw clips of it but it looked like a celebration of it to me, parody or not

I wouldn't expect you to understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Heathers.
    Probably.

Advertisement