Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any one going self sufficient

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

gozunda wrote: »
    That's a fairly fresh looking Loy. What's your technique?

Do you manure the ridges for planting?

It's about 7/8yrs old, was made especially for Dad, he took a notion of using it in a small garden each year. Unfortunately he's left handed so I'm a bit backwards on it as it's made for him using the left foot.
    Technique is plumb-line, then chop down the straight side line -about 1ft, then across & flip. You can kinda see the lengths I do at a time in the flipped soil. Manure is in the barrow below the garden, have to fling it up to the furrows tomorrow! Will mix some compost in too, don't mind fresher manure on the veg above ground but like compost for beetroot etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Started the few ridges today. Anna May would be proud :D
    Still unsure of what to plant but bought a bumper 6 variety pack of courgette/squash as I eat a lot of those & they grow well here.
    Onions, beetroot, probably broccoli/cauliflower too. If I can get turnip thinnings off someone they'll be stuck in as well.

Rocket/lettuce are in window boxes. Might attempt a small greenhouse too as I found 6 old window panes with frames in the byre.
    Would do a small one for a trial of tomatoes & peppers.

mg]

That’s very neat looking... half thinking of doing something similiar...

Would you mind telling me what you’ll do next?

What’s the easiest way of planting spuds into similar ground, with similar machinery (a shovel) ;)

What’s the easiest way of planting spuds into similar ground, with similar machinery (a shovel) ;)

I'm making three ridges there, so the furrow in between will be 1ft wide or so. I'll get the spade/shovel (whichever isn't missing) & loosen the dirt in the furrow, then put it on top of the ridge, on top of some straw/dung from the start of winter. The root veg will get a soil/compost mix as I don't fancy using the manure with that! I didn't get doing any veg last year as we were moving house so looking forward to this year.

I've no idea how to do it with a shovel, I'm sure there's a way :D It's basically just slicing out a square & turning it over. The loy just gives more power & has a longer curved blade to make the job easier. With spuds we just lob holes into the ridge with a fencing post & drop the chittings (sp) in. Spuds are hardy yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What you see LH doing can be used for spuds. It's a lazy bed techniques. You can put compost or manure either under the ridge or on top. You can either put the spuds under the ridge before you turn it over or you can set them with a lye if you have one. A lye is a spade with a wooden shoulder on one side for you foot and is narroei than a two sided spade. You need to trim the open side of the scraws you turn over to prevent air (when it is frosty) getting into the sprouted potatoes.

You earth up the ridges from the forrow where the ridge came from. You will not get ad heavy a crop as when you power harrow and make drills. Try to keep ridges clean of weeds. You can set onions cabbage and turnips on ridges like this. If you want to used ridges like this to grow finer seed crops like carrot, parsnips, lettuce's etc you need to close on the ridges, put your compost on your ridge and cover it all with earth. Again you will not get crops like power harrow and drills but they will grow. weeds are biggest issue

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,062 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Anyone considering potatoes that doesn't particularly like them, I wonder would ye consider Jerusalem artichoke instead for a bit of variety or maca root if you could get it that is.

I'm told the grandfather sowed Jerusalem artichoke as a windbreak here for raspberries must be 50 years ago. Apparently the are very low maintenance as opposed to potatoes (no spray) and high yielding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

haybob wrote: »
    Any one have the cure for carrot fly a potion of Jay's fluid
    and sheep dip perhaps.

Ramble over

Alternate rows of carrots with rows of onions won’t totally prevent it but sops them smelling the carrots and finding them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Anyone considering potatoes that doesn't particularly like them, I wonder would ye consider Jerusalem artichoke instead for a bit of variety or maca root if you could get it that is.

I'm told the grandfather sowed Jerusalem artichoke as a windbreak here for raspberries must be 50 years ago. Apparently the are very low maintenance as opposed to potatoes (no spray) and high yielding.

I have artichoke, oca and Yacon this year plus a load of spuds

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Got the spuds in yesterday. Drills are 30yds long. 3 Rooster and 1 Queens.
    2 drills idle for vegetables. Soil conditions are excellent at the moment. Had it ploughed a few days and ran the harrow through it a good few times over the day with a few hours drying between passes.

I've a stone or so of Kerrs Pinks, a few rooster, and a few queens ( probably enough to so 5 yds Q , and 15yds R) if anyone wants them in N Offaly you're welcome to them.

Got the spuds in yesterday. Drills are 30yds long. 3 Rooster and 1 Queens.
    2 drills idle for vegetables. Soil conditions are excellent at the moment. Had it ploughed a few days and ran the harrow through it a good few times over the day with a few hours drying between passes.

I've a stone or so of Kerrs Pinks, a few rooster, and a few queens ( probably enough to so 5 yds Q , and 15yds R) if anyone wants them in N Offaly you're welcome to them.

I got 20 kg of golden wonder mains plus a put the same in a few varieties of earlies.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Started the few ridges today. Anna May would be proud :D
    Still unsure of what to plant but bought a bumper 6 variety pack of courgette/squash as I eat a lot of those & they grow well here.
    Onions, beetroot, probably broccoli/cauliflower too. If I can get turnip thinnings off someone they'll be stuck in as well.

Rocket/lettuce are in window boxes. Might attempt a small greenhouse too as I found 6 old window panes with frames in the byre.
    Would do a small one for a trial of tomatoes & peppers.

hthqc58l.jpgOy8NFPil.jpg

Great to see an ancient art
    One of the most beautiful things I've seen in years

• Advertisement

I've sharps express down but main crop not planted yet
    Queens next week
    Pinks records and golden wonder in new ground

After seeing Lady Haywire ridges I decide that I would plant a few lazy beds. I made a burst as after the stay at home rules last night the smaller hardware shops would be closed. I got about 20 each of Queens and Pinks. I picked up a few onions and shallots as well as tray of cabbage and lettuce.

I spend a couple hours doing it this evening below is the way lazy beds are planted. You lay the skelleans ( not sure if the spelling is right) on the ground about 12-14'' apart in two's and ones. You turn the sods in on top of them. Then you close it in I used a shovel to do that.

Below are the photo's of the different stages. It will be interesting to see how the spuds come on

Slava Ukrainii

After that at the end of the ridges I planted the cabbage. the tray had 12 slots but there was about 17 plants in the 12 pods. Two were very small so I have repotted them for the time being. I Also stuck in a few of the letttuces, I put a few more in a planter pot by the patio door. I will have to break up the top of the ridge to plant the onions and shallots.

I rooted through the shed and along with the two sided spade which I used I found an old lye ( or loy not sure which spelling is correct). As well I found the head of what in South Kerry was call gruffan( again I am unsure of the spelling). I put up a photo of them as well. Weeds will be the biggest issue so I will have to hoe regular. I will have to earth up the spuds, if I can get a bit if FYM or compost I stick that on top of the spuds as well. I will have to do the onions in the next few days. I had a 4 pea plants inside a window and will put a few more going in soil as well. I found a packet of beetroot seed I am doing a germination test on them

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭Base price

My Grandad and Uncle used to set potatoes that way in lazy beds but using a loy like in Lady H pics.

Great to be of inspiration :D:pac:

I planted 4x types of courgette in a repurposed trough yesterday & two types of small squash. They're now under a bit of glass to get some heat into the soil & if it's frosty they'll go into the hayshed at night. Plant out when the weather is more settled. Got leek seeds to attempt as well, never tried growing them before. Chard is also in date so that'll go in too. Found that a very good buffer veg for soups/stew & it just keeps growing!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Looking good Bass.

What type of cabbage did you manage to get?

Looking good Bass.

What type of cabbage did you manage to get?

Greyhound

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Great work lads, DIG FOR IRELAND

Got my garden ploughed today. He's coming back with the rotovator Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Got my garden ploughed today. He's coming back with the rotovator Tuesday

There isn't nearly enough hardship in that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eamonn8448

mines ready for planting now , the old fella has me driven demented , you'd swear it was hay before the rain we were saving with the urgency he demanded, interesting few days , must be 30 years since i used a fergie single furrow and the old howard still working like new after nearly 3 decades rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

If some of you are looking for a wee bit of guidance on veg and greenhouses, theres a link to a pdf for each in the link below.

https://www.teagasc.ie/crops/horticulture/vegetables/home-gardeners/

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    There isn't nearly enough hardship in that

No way was i digging a quarter acre by hand!
    Going no dig this year. Have a local tree surgeon dropping me loads of woodchip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

So Lady H with the loy and those beds is there a strip of ground underneath that hasnt been disturbed and has the clay from the runs either side on top of it?

Better living everyone

So Lady H with the loy and those beds is there a strip of ground underneath that hasnt been disturbed and has the clay from the runs either side on top of it?

Yes

Slava Ukrainii

Yes

Perfect thanks, so between the two furrows and ridgee the width of the bed would be three shovel heads would it?

Better living everyone

Perfect thanks, so between the two furrows and ridgee the width of the bed would be three shovel heads would it?

The with of two forrow's is anout 3'6''-3'10'' it really depends on your ability to turn the sod. It was 30 years since I did them so still on a learning curve. I have a size 10 boot and I use three of these and about another 4-5''.

Are you going doing them in NZ

Slava Ukrainii

The with of two forrow's is anout 3'6''-3'10'' it really depends on your ability to turn the sod. It was 30 years since I did them so still on a learning curve. I have a size 10 boot and I use three of these and about another 4-5''.

Are you going doing them in NZ

No thinking of the 14 day isolation if i get home, however i see an article on the times suggesting to shut Irelands borders.

Better living everyone

Anyone have a link to a step-by-step process to plant potatoes??

Im off for foreseeable future,if i get all little niggly jobs done,boredom might set in and il plant a few!!

• Advertisement

Anyone any idea where I would get a bag of 8 5 18 + b+s in the clare area
    McInerneys in Ennis dont stock it
    Kerry don't stock it
    Liffy Mills dont stock it

I'm looking to a boron to poor ground for spuds and turnips

Advertisement