Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Reductions

Options
  • 20-03-2020 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

It looks as if rents are reducing. One issue with this is reducing the rent and getting stuck at that level due to RPZ legislation if this is over in the shorter term.

Do you think the RPZ legislation will be revoked / lapse, and if it is to lapse when does this happen currently?

If one has a tenant looking for a reduction and one is already well under 'market' rate do you think it might be worth leaving the place empty for a few months until it all blows over or do you think we're in for longer term reductions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

I think it is too early to say. Rents will likely fall but we don’t know by how much. Either way, there is a shortage of accommodation in the country, especially cities and there will be for some time to come.... a lot depends on how long this situation takes to get back to some kind of normal...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If one has a tenant looking for a reduction and one is already well under 'market' rate do you think it might be worth leaving the place empty for a few months until it all blows over or do you think we're in for longer term reductions?

The other option is you don't agree to the rent reduction.

That doesn't mean you can't help a struggling tenant by deferring rent or doing whatever else might come out in any emergency legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭DubCount

It looks as if rents are reducing. ….
    Do you think the RPZ legislation will be revoked / lapse, and if it is to lapse when does this happen currently?

If rents start to reduce, RPZs become irrelevant. When rents are falling, restricting rent increases makes no difference, except for properties well below market rate. I think RPZ's will continue for some time to avoid properties stuck well below market rate getting a sudden correction, but for most of the market, they wont make any difference.

I'm not sure its time to call an end to rent inflation yet. There are a number of ex-Airbnb properties hitting the market in the wake of this shock, and a number of immigrants leaving the market etc.. There was a large amount of undersupply before all this happened, and 6 months or 12 months from now the market, how much of a turn around will we see?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Im wondering, will a lot of people who were working who loose their jobs just stay for the benefits and HAP. It might make sense not to return home to a country that pays feck all social welfare and gives little to no HAP. Put it this way Ireland has one of the best social welfare systems in Europe, why would loads of people from eastern europe and asia return home to worse conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Graham wrote: »
    The other option is you don't agree to the rent reduction.

That doesn't mean you can't help a struggling tenant by deferring rent or doing whatever else might come out in any emergency legislation.

Depends on OP s own situation. Maybe the landlord hasn't got a money tree growing in his garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Depends on OP s own situation. Maybe the landlord hasn't got a money tree growing in his garden.

They are cheap to buy, just ordered two myself.

https://touch.adverts.ie/plants-trees/young-money-tree-for-sale/1601419

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

I do think that rents will reduce but it will probably take another while to see an overall hit. I have been browsing through some of the rental groups on FB and the only places that seem immediately in low demand is the shared rooms with 4 beds or more in the room

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Have had a tenant enquire if mortgage freezes mean that he needs to continue to pay his rent. One of four names on the lease.

Has mentioned that he's lost his job but got a fairly sketchy email low in detail.

If it's true that he's lost his job I think we'd be happy to be reasonable in the short term, but I'd also be interested to see how social welfare and rent supplement might come through for individuals who might be in this situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

user.name wrote: »
    I do think that rents will reduce but it will probably take another while to see an overall hit. I have been browsing through some of the rental groups on FB and the only places that seem immediately in low demand is the shared rooms with 4 beds or more in the room

4 beds in one room FFS , its sad our country has landlords prepared to have 4 people sharing a room. Its a throwback to strumpet city times.
    Some peoples greed is shameful

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Allinall

LuasSimon wrote: »
    4 beds in one room FFS , its sad our country has landlords prepared to have 4 people sharing a room. Its a throwback to strumpet city times.

So make two of them homeless, yeah?

• Advertisement

Allinall wrote: »
    So make two of them homeless, yeah?

Maybe you'll put ten people in a room altogether, you'll have loads of money then

Maybe you'll put ten people in a room altogether, you'll have loads of money then

I suspect the point being made, is that the people sharing those rooms may not be in a position to rent an apartment in which they have their own room, and by imposing a two person per room policy, two people might be homeless. I doubt anyone shares a room with 3 other people unless they have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

What will happen is that many people who have been crammed into sharing arrangements will attempt to move into less crowded situations. Couples who have been renting an ensuite bedroom in a house may be able to acquire a one bed apartment at the same price, when rents fall. The biggest hit will be taken by the landlords who have been renting high-priced, crowded accommodation. The move of people from that accommodation will tend to put a floor under higher quality accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭JamesMason

What will happen is that many people who have been crammed into sharing arrangements will attempt to move into less crowded situations. Couples who have been renting an ensuite bedroom in a house may be able to acquire a one bed apartment at the same price, when rents fall. The biggest hit will be taken by the landlords who have been renting high-priced, crowded accommodation. The move of people from that accommodation will tend to put a floor under higher quality accommodation.
    If someone, housesharing with 12 others in a 3bed semi, tests positive for CoVid19 the contact tracing should make the landlord very very nervous.

JamesMason wrote: »
    If someone, housesharing with 12 others in a 3bed semi, tests positive for CoVid19 the contact tracing should make the landlord very very nervous.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭TippCashel

Suggestions welcome:

3 bedroom house (3 tenants) paid in full from one account.

One tenant’s parents have lost their jobs (he is a student and we both work full-time) and he can’t pay rent now (will subsequently move out).

Rent due tomorrow. Worth at least explaining this to the landlord to get a reduction of his cut for a month? Nothing to lose in asking I suppose.

Do have someone to fill the room in the next month believe it or not so that might help us.

TippCashel wrote: »
    Suggestions welcome:

One tenant’s parents have lost their jobs (he is a student and we both work full-time) and he can’t pay rent now (will subsequently move out).

Rent due tomorrow. Worth at least explaining this to the landlord to get a reduction of his cut for a month? Nothing to lose in asking I suppose.

Do have someone to fill the room in the next month believe it or not so that might help us.

Worth asking the Landlord, some are decent but more of them have money as their God and couldnt care about your circumstances or what becomes of you, best of luck with it

Worth asking the Landlord, some are decent but more of them have money as their God and couldnt care about your circumstances or what becomes of you, best of luck with it

To be fair, the poster hasn’t said he/she and other tenant have lost their jobs, therefore if the lease is shared, this is just a case of being joint and severely liable for the rent until a new tenant moves in.

Tippcashel, if the rent is being paid from one account, were you subletting to student?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭TippCashel

Thanks guys

Not subletting to the student. We are three names on the lease (friends) and we pay the rent from my account then if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Are you not wrecked carrying that chip around?

• Advertisement

TippCashel wrote: »
    Suggestions welcome:

If a new tenant is signing up next month presumably the landlord will just hold onto his portion of the deposit to cover his loss?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

JamesMason wrote: »

Landlords = mommy & daddy !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Field east

Individual cases make bad law comes to mind. I assume you know the context re the 4 in a room, nationalities involved, what has made them do it , relationship between them, , etc, etc, etc ,etc, . Otherwise you are not in a position to to make such a statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The atmosphere at the moment is all anti landlord and there willl be lots of cases of people not paying any rent knowing that there is nothing the landlord can do about it.

Edgware wrote: »
    The atmosphere at the moment is all anti landlord and there willl be lots of cases of people not paying any rent knowing that there is nothing the landlord can do about it.

Absolutely.

There will be some people who rely on the property for their income and who will probably be ineligible for welfare.

Flexibility has to go both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,692 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP are you and the other tenant still working?

If so, just pay the rent between you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 easymoneysnipe

Hi all,
    I am a student working in Dublin from January-August as part of placement/co-op from college. I am living with 5 others who are doing the exact same, all college students, working for 8 months. We are all renting a house together in Dublin but have all since moved back to, and are working from, our family homes. I am wondering can anyone tell me if we are still obliged to pay rent for the next 5 months, despite the 3 month rent freeze announced last night (24/03/2020). We have all signed a lease until August but I highly doubt we will be moving back in. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Dav010 wrote: »
    Why?

I presume that 12 names from SAME address might raise eyebrows with the contact tracing people.

Not sure what they'd actually do about it though.

But all 12 names will be on record somewhere so that carrys risk.

Clearly in an apartment complex you can have more then 12 but then you'd expect to see that in the addresses.

So Apt 1 B or Apartment 2 c.

If you need 46 Attracta Estate on 12 people's addresses then that's not 12 different Apartments in the one block.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shreko

Hi all,
    I am a student working in Dublin from January-August as part of placement/co-op from college. I am living with 5 others who are doing the exact same, all college students, working for 8 months. We are all renting a house together in Dublin but have all since moved back to, and are working from, our family homes. I am wondering can anyone tell me if we are still obliged to pay rent for the next 5 months, despite the 3 month rent freeze announced last night (24/03/2020). We have all signed a lease until August but I highly doubt we will be moving back in. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Has all of your CO-op been cancelled ? Why cant you continue with the lease ? Even if you have been advised to work from home why couldnt you do it at the rental property? Seeing as you are still working and (and I would assume being paid) you don't fall into the category of people this emergency legislation is there to help.
    If you just decide to move home off your own back you are breaking the lease and while I doubt a landlord would chase you for 5 months rent its highly unlikely you will get your deposit back.

• Advertisement

Old diesel wrote: »
    I presume that 12 names from SAME address might raise eyebrows with the contact tracing people.

Not sure what they'd actually do about it though.

But all 12 names will be on record somewhere so that carrys risk.

Clearly in an apartment complex you can have more then 12 but then you'd expect to see that in the addresses.

So Apt 1 B or Apartment 2 c.

If you need 46 Attracta Estate on 12 people's addresses then that's not 12 different Apartments in the one block.

You think the young people doing the calls from UCD are going to waste time doing that? They are phoning hundreds, maybe thousands about a potentially deadly infectious disease, they are not checking living arrangements. Honestly, some of the stuff on here is mind bending.

Advertisement