Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manchester Marathon 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I was going grand but have had a cold that I just haven't been able to shake. Taking the nuclear option of doing nothing for a few days in the hope that clears it for good.
    The wind has been a major pain but the treadmill I bought this time last year is paying for itself
    I had a bit of a panic over taking time off but looked at what is left in the plan and I've loads of race pace miles still to come

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

I injured myself on the 1st day of the training plan, and was out fully for 2 weeks, then very slowly built up over the following 4 weeks. Far from ideal, no speed work and only 1 20m done so far, but I'm just looking to get around in one piece :eek:

Not too long to go now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Training is going well, hoping to get to taper intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mylesforsmiles

More and more mass participation events being cancelled due to corona virus.

Any chance of the marathons being hit?

London, Manchester, Paris, Rome, Rotterdam, Vienna?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

It’s definitely a possibility

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

What about the Milan marathon, 5th April :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Hard to know how things will pan out but If it came down to it, I'd probably go for Limerick as a back up plan.

Rome cancelled
    Paris postponed
    London being discussed tomorrow

Not looking good folks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

coogy wrote: »
    Hard to know how things will pan out but If it came down to it, I'd probably go for Limerick as a back up plan.

Would say limerick will get the chop also.
    Racing might go on hold for awhile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Just pulled the trigger on a small local Marathon with low numbers that’s unlikely or less likely to be cancelled as I think the chances of Manchester going ahead is low at this stage looking at how other places have escalated. The ‘delay’ phase of dealing with this is shutdowns on everything.
    It seems a bit selfish and trivial to be making alternative arrangements in the face of what is looking like a Very serious situation but......you know, us runners can be selfish and single minded!

• Advertisement

Hold off on the G&Ts Bella! We're desperate for the event to go ahead as planned. London & Paris have a HUGE amount of foreign participants, which will impact that decision. Obviously this is a developing situation, so nothing is guaranteed, but for now all is set to go ahead on 5th April. We'll email everybody an update early next week, we know it's frustrating. Everybody has been training so hard!

This from Manchester Marathon on Facebook just now. Bella seems desperate for an excuse to fall off the wagon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

This is still on. Good old bulldog spirit now that they have the pesky EU off their backs. They will fight the Coronavirus on the beaches, etc.

Will be postponed next week I imagine...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Email sent by the organisers- its in the hands of the Govt.

Not in their interest to cancel it themselves I'd imagine.

"Currently, based on the most accurate information available from Public Health England and interpretations from our Medical Director, we are operating with full focus for the 2020 Manchester Marathon to go ahead as planned."

"There remains a chance that the UK government might put a temporary ban on large scale events such as ours, in order to slow the potential spread of infection of COVID-19.

If this is the case, we will have no option but to follow advice and postpone the 2020 Manchester Marathon (most likely to September or October 2020).

Our team are working very hard on relevant contingency plans to ensure your hard work during your training does not go to waste and more information should this scenario play through will follow swiftly after relevant announcements from the government."

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Cancelled, no date announced for a rescheduling yet.

The half is 11th October though so I wouldn't be surprised if they run both on the same day.

They were clearly waiting for London to announce it.

Came very shortly after.

Would it be possible to have both the half and full on the same day with the projected numbers?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

They were clearly waiting for London to announce it.

Came very shortly after.

Would it be possible to have both the half and full on the same day with the projected numbers?

Not sure. There is a lot of overlap among local runners though in the entry. I did both last year in the black and yellow of Chorlton Runners, along with close to 100 clubmates.

At this rate and the time predictions going around, I say there be no marathon in 2020 in usa/Europe

At this rate and the time predictions going around, I say there be no marathon in 2020 in usa/Europe

Based on?

sideswipe wrote: »
    Based on?

Based on how long it's taken China to get out and how bad it's getting in Europe now

Based on how long it's taken China to get out and how bad it's getting in Europe now

Maybe I’m wrong but didn’t it flare up in China in early Jan and they are reopening factories etc now so 3 months. Do August is 6 months away, do you really see the place still being in lockdown then?

• Advertisement

sideswipe wrote: »
    Maybe I’m wrong but didn’t it flare up in China in early Jan and they are reopening factories etc now so 3 months. Do August is 6 months away, do you really see the place still being in lockdown then?

I believe to a certain extent. I think travel will be blocked for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

Without trying to sound pessimistic, but this is just the start, some people think that the virus will magically disappear in a few months, even with all the measures various governments are taking. This is the biggest crisis the world is facing since WW2, perhaps (hopefully not) even greater

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

New date of 11 October.

Have applied for a refund, but not sure if I did it properly.

The sum was automatically set for 0.00.

Was I meant to edit it or was that what was due to them from me (i.e. it acknowledging that I'd paid in full)?

Did you get something from them?
    This two weeks after a half IM. Not a chance I'm doing it
    The mail might be stuck in my spam though

Great news folks.

Hopefully it will go ahead this time.

Should be big crowds in Manchester that day as it combines with the HM.

Will hope to do a HM at the start of Sept. Charleville is pencilled in for Sept. 13th so that's out. Ratoath maybe on the same day.

Did you get something from them?
    This two weeks after a half IM. Not a chance I'm doing it
    The mail might be stuck in my spam though

Ignore me. Found it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

I think I might go ahead and run it. No chance of getting into DCM at this stage so may as well......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Cancelled my entry. It's a pity, but I was always (planning on) doing Amsterdam in the Autumn. If this Autumn does actually happen, there will be some amount of people training for marathons :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Berlin is my focus for the Autumn. I'll cancel too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

healy1835 wrote: »
    Cancelled my entry. It's a pity, but I was always (planning on) doing Amsterdam in the Autumn. If this Autumn does actually happen, there will be some amount of people training for marathons :)

Cancelled? Was that on the email? I only see an option to defer. Not sure what to do now as it's only 2 weeks before Dublin and I'm hoping I have a good enough time from the last DCM for Boston.

Advertisement