Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until undetermined date - was March 29th

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Treppen wrote: »
    Actually, you now have access to a wide range of subject knowledge on this forum, I doubt the mods would mind if you asked any subject related questions.

No problem whatsoever with subject or exam related questions. Actually, I will make a new thread for them.

Questions for teachers thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

If this drags on then both the LC and JC will have to be delayed. But it's a month away from such a decision being reached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Tow wrote: »
    The secondary school got the got the same notice as the NS. The difference being they started preparing since last week and what they produced with no real notice was very good. In the afternoon, one teacher had recorded about 15-20mins of video and gave them a task for the rest of the lesson. He must have been up all night recording and editing each class. Complete with a request for a thumbs up, if they liked his video.
    Personally I think schools are doing amazing job with all this disruption.

My kids have been off most of the week and I'm meeting the principal next week to get books.
    We'll be getting emails from teachers over the coming weeks with work.

5 week closure won't be a surprise.

Generally departmental staff aren't being advised until the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

My principal (post primary community schl) is pressuring us and the snas to go in to work from Wednesday. Says that school is closed only for pupils and we should be in for the normal work hours. Is this correct or is our principal just being a dick?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

sitstill wrote: »
    My principal (post primary community schl) is pressuring us and the snas to go in to work from Wednesday. Says that school is closed only for pupils and we should be in for the normal work hours. Is this correct or is our principal just being a dick?

I had to go in on Friday to get a few things.....there was no one there bar caretakers, vice p and cleaner. Cleaner had a mask on.
    We got email to say if we come in we have to sign a book and keep the recommended social distance between us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

as a 5th year, i have the growing concern I won't be seeing school for longer than these two weeks... if at all I might have just done my last day of 5th year without realising it...

Homeschool has been working out ok, I have a custom built PC so I can type notes/receive stuff from Google Classroom, although some insructions from teachers has been a little "???" and im not exactly sure what to do, but I have friends/family who can hopefully help me. :p

That's the update anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Both and somewhat pedantic. Isn't everyone teaching through online portals from home?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

TTLF wrote: »
    as a 5th year, i have the growing concern I won't be seeing school for longer than these two weeks... if at all I might have just done my last day of 5th year without realising it...

Homeschool has been working out ok, I have a custom built PC so I can type notes/receive stuff from Google Classroom, although some insructions from teachers has been a little "???" and im not exactly sure what to do, but I have friends/family who can hopefully help me. :p

That's the update anyway.
    You only need a smart phone for Google classroom etc. It's a national crisis and everyone is in the same boat. Work away as best you can and it'll all sort itself out.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Both and somewhat pedantic. Isn't everyone teaching through online portals from home?

Yeah we have Microsoft teams and there was excellent engagement from students on Friday. I am thinking I will need to get union advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

What about the government's advice that employers should facilitate working from home wherever possible? Bit of a disgrace if a school tries to ignore that when it's already closed to pupils! I understand having the building open to facilitate a small number of staff using equipment to continue teaching beyond what's possible at home, but it should not be a requirement as that seems completely at odds with official advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

That doesn't sound right at all. Our school was closed at 6pm on Thursday and will not be open again to anyone until the 29th March. I thought that was the government directive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    That doesn't sound right at all. Our school was closed at 6pm on Thursday and will not be open again to anyone until the 29th March. I thought that was the government directive.

"schools/centres/offices are not closed, and teachers/tutors/instructors may go into school/centres if this assists in the creation of online learning opportunities for students. Ancillary staff will continue to work as normal where required and where possible."

This is the CEO of the local ETB emailed. So it seems just closed for students really. The email also said BOM meetings should go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭combat14

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

combat14 wrote: »

Good grief, stressful time for students up there sitting A-Levels(if they were even to go ahead), GCSEs ect. Will hardly be the case here too?

Alex86Eire wrote: »

That’s what I would have assumed too but he’s working off the guidance from ACCS that says “closed to pupils” so he said that means open to staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I just received an email from my son's principal with maths lessons for 2 weeks.
    More work in it for me than my son ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I’d be ringing the Union on this. That’s a stupid move considering they are looking for people to work from home.

I’m at home facilitating my classes and working with them on line but also minding my two children. Its one or the other. I would have to take unpaid leave to go to school if they insisted because I’m not bringing my kids into a school building with me and I have a comorbidity. In which case I wouldn’t do a tap as no pay. Then they wouldn’t be able to get a sub and my students would be left high and dry.

Why on earth would they insist on something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Hate working from home, have used my mobile data setting up google classroom and not looking forward to seeing what my phone bill will be like in a months time.

Aside from that we have no central heating and the cold is unreal when your sitting for a long time. Plug in heater not much use. Fire lighting but tv major distraction as my fathers hearing is v poor. Don’t know how I will cope with weeks of this. Just needed to rant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

We were initially told at lunch time on Thursday that all school buildings were closed to all staff, but this later updated to open and available for ancillary staff, and any teachers that want to use equipment etc, but there was no pressure to attend.

It is ridiculous if teachers are pressured to come into work in some schools, while others are treated as professionals who can and will work from home to the best of their abilities. I'd imagine this is the biggest ETB in the country, but not sure if any other ETBs have taken the same stance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭Treppen

I’d be ringing the Union on this. That’s a stupid move considering they are looking for people to work from home.

I’m at home facilitating my classes and working with them on line but also minding my two children. Its one or the other. I would have to take unpaid leave to go to school if they insisted because I’m not bringing my kids into a school building with me and I have a comorbidity. In which case I wouldn’t do a tap as no pay. Then they wouldn’t be able to get a sub and my students would be left high and dry.

Why on earth would they insist on something like that?

that would come under the 'being a dick' category.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

We are all working from home, and got an email from our principal today stating we must be online during all our timetabled classes. Uploading work etc was not good enough, and he knows that people took yesterday off and he reported them to HR and they will have their pay docked. Union has been informed. :mad::mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We are all working from home, and got an email from our principal today stating we must be online during all our timetabled classes. Uploading work etc was not good enough, and he knows that people took yesterday off and he reported them to HR and they will have their pay docked. Union has been informed. :mad::mad:

What a pit he is digging for himself whenever things go back to normal.
    If he wants people working during their timetabled hours he had better be careful he doesn't get exactly (and only) what he wishes for.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,143 ✭✭✭✭km79

Wow
    Has the principal/school provided all staff with all the necessary technology needed .......

That principal might find his staff only work their timetable and not a minute extra when they return
    What a toxic atmosphere the principal is creating

Find out a lot about leaders in times of crisis !

spurious wrote: »
    What a pit he is digging for himself whenever things go back to normal.
    If he wants people working during their timetabled hours he had better be careful he doesn't get exactly (and only) what he wishes for.

He or she
    Careful now !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

km79 wrote: »
    He or she
    Careful now !

It's clearly he in the original post.

Wow
    Has the principal/school provided all staff with all the necessary technology needed .......

That principal might find his staff only work their timetable and not a minute extra when they return
    What a toxic atmosphere the principal is creating

Find out a lot about leaders in times of crisis !

Technology is not really relevant ( good access in general) but lots of people have small kids/babies that they have to look after given that all the creches are closed, so they aren't in a position to do live classes.

Toxic is a fairly accurate description.

Technology is not really relevant ( good access in general) but lots of people have small kids/babies that they have to look after given that all the creches are closed, so they aren't in a position to do live classes.

Toxic is a fairly accurate description.

It shouldn’t be relevant but If the principal is reporting staff to HR it is relevant .
    In this situation given the hard line the principal is taken then obviously the principal would have to have ensured ALL staff were provided with adequate technology AND had adequate internet access and if not then put provisions in place
    Otherwise the principal has failed to do their own job !
    It’s a sad situation. Glad I don’t teach in that school .
    Is it an ETB ? (As you mentioned HR)
    Sounds like a Principal with eyes on a dept job rather than as a school leader
    Depressing

It shouldn’t be relevant but If the principal is reporting staff to HR it is relevant .
    In this situation given the hard line the principal is taken then obviously the principal would have to have ensured ALL staff were provided with adequate technology AND had adequate internet access and if not then put provisions in place
    Otherwise the principal has failed to do their own job !
    It’s a sad situation. Glad I don’t teach in that school .
    Is it an ETB ? (As you mentioned HR)
    Sounds like a Principal with eyes on a dept job rather than as a school leader
    Depressing

Yes.
    And that will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 marina24

Some horrendous stories of what is expected! Our principal advised us as best she could all week and it still was a panic getting ready to send all pupils home on Thursday.
    We got very reassuring emails- make contact with your classes, particularly exams classes but don’t overwhelm them with work. No nonsense of exactly following your timetable stuff. Try to do the best you can. If stuck come in and use the school- times given etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Teach30 wrote: »
    Hate working from home, have used my mobile data setting up google classroom and not looking forward to seeing what my phone bill will be like in a months time.

Aside from that we have no central heating and the cold is unreal when your sitting for a long time. Plug in heater not much use. Fire lighting but tv major distraction as my fathers hearing is v poor. Don’t know how I will cope with weeks of this. Just needed to rant!

https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/employee-expenses/e-working-and-home-workers/index.aspx

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement