Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the Cinema during Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

The media is reporting cases and the markets. You might think the market is overreacting but perception is reality and right now we're heading for a global recession until things calm down. You might not get the virus, but you might lose your job.

Absolutely - 2020 had all the indicators of a global recession before the virus, now its a certainty IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not a fan of late evening and night time shows. If the Odeon put some decent films on before 6 o'clock instead of wall to wall children's crap, I would use my Limitless card more.
    Thinking I bought a bit of a lemoner. Cineworld show decent films in all slots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Yeah I'm still going to go. I don't see the point of isolating myself at home. Sure the postman dropping in my mail through the postbox could give me coronavirus.

I'm young(ish) reasonably fit and healthy, don't smoke, run and exercise. I'm only worried about being a vector and passing it onto other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Ikozma

If the film is any good then yes I would

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Interesting article in the Guardian
    "More than half of Italy’s cinemas are closed and regulations prohibit people from sitting less than a metre away from each other in public.
    Mario Lorini, president of ANEC, the national association of exhibitors, has unveiled a system he hopes would comply and enable cinemas to remain open: allowing the booking of every third seat in a row, with empty seats directly in front and behind"

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/mar/06/cinema-coronavirus-projected-5bn-loss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

just go to the Point Village cinema , you normally get a row to yourself , how it stays open is beyond me

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 85,058 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I will wear gloves and take hand santiser with me, but some films you just have to see on the big screen, just need to clean clean clean the hands before and after, get ocd with the hand washing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'll still be going

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

cant think of any movies I want to see until the summer, Top Gun 17th July

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,567 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

spurious wrote: »
    Not a fan of late evening and night time shows. If the Odeon put some decent films on before 6 o'clock instead of wall to wall children's crap, I would use my Limitless card more.
    Thinking I bought a bit of a lemoner. Cineworld show decent films in all slots.

I agree Odeon have gone terribly bad lately. They used to be so much better.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'm showing my age here - but i grew up in a time when smoking was allowed in cinemas, you'd be watching a film through a haze of smoke, with people coughing & spluttering not only that but you'd have sticky floors from split fizzy drinks, chewing gum, sweets etc

you'd come out of the place with bloodshot eyes, and your clothes rank stinking of cigarettes.....ah but dem were the days

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I tend to go to arty films in the middle of the day so I don't think there's much to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I say it's only a matter of time before films get delayed like Bond.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,810 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You'll be going until they are closed down under emergency powers legislation.

Like many leisure and personal service industries, the next 12 months could be catastrophic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Peter Rabbit 2 has it's cinema release delayed until the 7th of August.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0310/1121432-peter-rabbit-2-postponed-due-to-coronavirus-concerns/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

https://www.newstalk.com/news/covid-19-omniplex-cinema-chain-announces-seat-separation-plan-980578

Omniplex announced seat separate plans so that every second seat will be empty. I guess they'd rather 50% occupancy than risk empty screenings due to public fears.

Seems a bit excessive TBH but I can see how they think this might make cinema goers feel "safer".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Peter Rabbit 2 has now it's cinema release delayed until the 7th of August.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0310/1121432-peter-rabbit-2-postponed-due-to-coronavirus-concerns/

And nothing of value was lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Bacchus wrote: »
    https://www.newstalk.com/news/covid-19-omniplex-cinema-chain-announces-seat-separation-plan-980578

Omniplex announced seat separate plans so that every second seat will be empty. I guess they'd rather 50% occupancy than risk empty screenings due to public fears.

Seems a bit excessive TBH but I can see how they think this might make cinema goers feel "safer".

Well that is gonna ruin things with the girlfriend when the film gets a bit crap and predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,848 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

silverharp wrote: »
    just go to the Point Village cinema , you normally get a row to yourself , how it stays open is beyond me
    I have never seen such a quite cinema stay open for so long, it must be making a huge loss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Bacchus wrote: »

Seems very excessive. Literally 50% less than normal. I hope nobody loses their job over this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

You're more likely to catch something at work, which you go to every week day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

gmisk wrote: »
    I have never seen such a quite cinema stay open for so long, it must be making a huge loss

This is friend-of-a-friend talk, so take it with a pinch of salt: my understanding is that the few occupied units in Point Village are basically locked into long-term contracts, signed before the crash & PV became a pointless endeavour. I believe Dunnes Stores were meant to be the prime tenant, but they & the centre's owners have been or were locked in a legal battle. Dunnes basically refusing to set up in that otherwise vacant shopping centre, with the PV owners naturally arguing "you agreed". You can even tell where Dunnes should be; there's a huge empty plot that's exactly "large retail shopping franchise" size.

So I presume that Odeon is running a huge loss every night, but is stuck there until its lease runs out. Unless of course it's actually making a packet but I really, really doubt it. Even my local cinema in a mature, fully developed shopping centre rarely packs them in (bar outsized box office successes) so god knows how few are darkening that Odeon's doors. The whole centre is a testament to Celtic Tiger hubris; and the one thing that filled its halls every year - the Christmas market - was forced out so even that won't be around this coming season.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I will wear gloves and take hand santiser with me, but some films you just have to see on the big screen, just need to clean clean clean the hands before and after, get ocd with the hand washing

There's no need to wear gloves.

Also, you're not going to get the virus from touching a chair it's from sharing a room and breathing the same air.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I always tend to wait until the hype of a film dies down before I decide to go see it anyway. In other words, every time I go to the cinema, it's never full of people, and I always sit at the back, at an aisle seat. So I'm not near anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Me and some mates have tickets booked for a screening of Memories of Murder (2003) in London in a couple of weeks. It would take something special to stop me from going.

El Duda wrote: »
    Me and some mates have tickets booked for a screening of Memories of Murder (2003) in London in a couple of weeks. It would take something special to stop me from going.

A global pandemic perhaps? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Went last night - the only virus I was in danger of catching was from the absolutely septic True History of the Kelly Gang.

Some good performances but a complete turd of a movie.

Had an entire row to myself, noone directly behind me and even better noone with crunchy food. Safest place to be in the event of a global pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I normally have a row to myself when I go to the cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Wonder will cinemas in Ireland now have to limit audience to 100 people per showing with the new rules in place till end of month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Advertisement