Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mens casual shoes that last!

Options
  • 10-03-2020 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭

I mostly wear jeans and like wearing a shoe that is casual yet dressy. I find during the winter especially trendy trainers are a no go as they get filthy.

So ive worn a lot of different pairs of Skechers over the years but to be honest i am getting sick of throwing away money for a pair of shoes that's barely lasting a year.

I bought a pair of these https://ie.sportsdirect.com/skechers-lace-casual-shoe-mens-110392#colcode=11039205 about 6 months ago at the most and already there are two holes in the rubber part of the sole of the shoe.

Ive no idea how to fix this or if i even can so every time it rains i end up with one wet sock!

Looks like i am gonna have to go out and either find something to fix it or go looking for new shoes.

Any recommendations on shoes that look good with jeans and last!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Ecco shoes are casual, go with jeans and are very comfortable. I've had my current pair for well over a year.
    This kind of style: https://ie.ecco.com/en-IE/product/5642784632/ECCO-SOFT-7-M

I wouldn't classify the Skechers that you bought as dressy.

Do you wear that same pair of shoes every day? Not sure how you can wear through shoes unless they have an extremely thin sole or drag your feet when you walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Ecco shoes are casual, go with jeans and are very comfortable. I've had my current pair for well over a year.

Do you wear that same pair of shoes every day? Not sure how you can wear through shoes unless they have an extremely thin sole or drag your feet when you walk.

When i say dressy i just mean a step up from runners ha. Something i can wear with jeans and still look half decent.

I have been wearing them everyday because there dark and hold up better during winter. I dont drag my feet but ive had issues with there shoes in the past wearing thin in certain areas after less then a year.

Im not mad about shoes with thick white soles like ones u mentioned above. Plus especially with our lovely weather they end up filthy fairly quickly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Is lasting defined as a year? Seems like too short a period for a pair of shoes.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Is lasting defined as a year? Seems like too short a period for a pair of shoes.

I used to get a lot longer out of them but found last couple pairs to ware very quick.

My brother and father had similar shoes and had same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

If you want a pair of shoes to last 2 years you'll pay nearly double a pair that lasts 1 year. I stick to Ecco and Clarkes. They have some trendy shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

zoobizoo wrote:

Ecco all the way. Can't go wrong.

I'll have to check out Ecco so! Seen them in the shops the odd time but the sting of paying 60 or 70 euro for pair shoes that bascially looked identical to the last pair I had was bad enough ha.

Thanks lads!
    Wonder for the moment though could I get away with using some kinda very strong glue to fill the holes on the shoe? Starting a new job soon should be less broke then!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Keep an eye on the Clarke's outlet sales of if you're passing Kildare Village, I find their shoes last the longest but saying that I've never had a paid of Eccos.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I'll have to check out Ecco so! Seen them in the shops the odd time but the sting of paying 60 or 70 euro for pair shoes that bascially looked identical to the last pair I had was bad enough ha.

You get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Klopp

I bought my last two pairs from Aldo online and well happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

zoobizoo wrote: »

Those sketchers are awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

McGaggs wrote: »
    Those sketchers are awful.

They're not skechers. They're Ecco.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,333 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I just bought my first pair of Skechers. Are they no good?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Is it true that the stuff for sale in sports direct is different to what you but elsewhere?
    They have branded trainers, Adidas, bike etc but all seem to be that but lighter and less hard wearing than anything I've owned on the past.

Maybe it's a problem across the board, I dunno.

Hoboo wrote: »
    They're not skechers. They're Ecco.

Sorry, quoted wrong post. The "shoes" in the OP are appaling.

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Is it true that the stuff for sale in sports direct is different to what you but elsewhere?
    They have branded trainers, Adidas, bike etc but all seem to be that but lighter and less hard wearing than anything I've owned on the past.

Maybe it's a problem across the board, I dunno.

I had a look in Sports Direct, and all the Adidas stuff there wasn't anything I was familiar with. No superstars or Stan Smiths.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Sports direct sell "value" models only, in store anyway... I have never seen the Nike models they sell in other shops, not even on nike.com

I am guessing they are buying in stock that is mainly aimed at maybe Africa, Aisa etc..?

I found a couple of years ago they where grand just last pair or two I've had issues with. I was mainly buying them cause where darker and less out there so I could get away with using them for everyday use and work.

There's loads of other trainers and shoes I'd love to buy but for the money you end up paying the Irish weather would have them ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I found a couple of years ago they where grand just last pair or two I've had issues with. I was mainly buying them cause where darker and less out there so I could get away with using them for everyday use and work.

There's loads of other trainers and shoes I'd love to buy but for the money you end up paying the Irish weather would have them ruined.

Clean them?

I wear white sole runners all winter... I avoid walking in mud and give the rubber sole a decent clean every few weeks. I have a pair of Nike React 55 which I wore almost daily for months and they could still pass as a few weeks old.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Clean them?

I wear white sole runners all winter... I avoid walking in mud and give the rubber sole a decent clean every few weeks. I have a pair of Nike React 55 which I wore almost daily for months and they could still pass as a few weeks old.

Ya I know what your saying and I clean my shoes all the time j just find personally from my own experience the darker colours easyer to get away with for everyday use.

• Advertisement

Ya I know what your saying and I clean my shoes all the time j just find personally from my own experience the darker colours easyer to get away with for everyday use.

I own a pair of all black Adidas superstars. They don't stand out much, handle the wet weather well and are easy to keep clean. If you wait around, they'll be on sale on the website a few times a year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,333 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I needed a pair quick for a stag do and there's a shop near me. I got a set similar to the pair linked above. They seem ok. I live near an outlet so they were quite cheap. I'd usually go for Clarks, OMAC or Ecco which is what I used to get back home.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

If you invest in a pair of goodyear welted shoes you can get them reheeled and resoled a good few times......... could have them for years and years.

https://www.julesb.co.uk/loake-leather-badminton-brogues-p822388/s916856?cid=GBP&gclid=CjwKCAjwmKLzBRBeEiwACCVihghqevGVqyDa6DUPfH8xaMuL18Cl5C0Pn1TCji61xSA8haU6-I-H7hoCXv8QAvD_BwE

You'll get cheaper than these too of course.

I've a pair of Loakes that were €100 from the factory, a discontinued range.

I've 3 pairs of AirMax also :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Physios hate them. Was told by a second one (in typical fashion I ignored the first last year) to stop wearing them this week. Very poor arch support.

Thanks for all the comments lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

I'm wearing these Skechers at the moment

https://www.mandmdirect.ie/01/details/SK955?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAjwmKLzBRBeEiwACCVihln1EKvaCglI3EUu4Q1d-qC2l-9PjNbb_W78xUjMa_icFAWC8DQHaxoC0zQQAvD_BwE

The sole is seriously thick like a big wedge of rubber and very comfortable. Wearing them for 6 months on my feet everyday at work

However I'd say they will be my last Skechers. Maybe it's just me but I've noticed the memory foam stops my feet breathing as it doesn't have little air holes and my socks and feet get soaked and I end up with pains in my shins etc. I ripped out the foam lining lately and replaced with insoles and they are perfect since

I've noticed teh quality of Nike and Adidas are gone to hell last few years like paper falling apart after a few months and these were bought in Elverys

My best shoes were Aciscs I'd a pair that lasted daily wear for years and the only issue was they were blue and white so not as easy to clean

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Augeo wrote: »
    If you invest in a pair of goodyear welted shoes you can get them reheeled and resoled a good few times......... could have them for years and years.

https://www.julesb.co.uk/loake-leather-badminton-brogues-p822388/s916856?cid=GBP&gclid=CjwKCAjwmKLzBRBeEiwACCVihghqevGVqyDa6DUPfH8xaMuL18Cl5C0Pn1TCji61xSA8haU6-I-H7hoCXv8QAvD_BwE

I've a pair of Loakes that were €100 from the factory, a discontinued range.

I've 3 pairs of AirMax also :pac:

If you spending that money, you can also be looking at companies that use margom soles such as Lanvin and Gucci. These will last years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I've worn a few pairs of very nice timberlands in the last few years. Good quality, and no issues with holes in the sole or anything like that. I don't like the big clunky timberland boots, but they have some really good options in their casual and mid height etc. Kinda like this: https://www.timberland.ie/shop/en/tbl-ie/adventure-2-0-chukka-for-men-in-medium-brown-a1jun358?variationId=COLOR_MEDIUMBROWN

I have those ones in the link about in black and they go well with jeans etc. I wear them to work or for a night out. Work well in all settings really.

Ecco shoes as well are very good. Had a couple of pairs too and they wear well. Good quality. Had something similar to this: https://us.ecco.com/ecco-soft-7-mens-sneaker-430004.html?dwvar_430004_color=01001

I think at the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Augeo wrote: »

Now that you mention Goodyear Welted shoes these guys are worth looking at although I'm not sure they have many casual styles other than loafers :

https://www.meermin.es/en/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Within ecco as well as sketchers there are different ranges some more suited to lots of wear others not so much. I find a lot of the light sketchers dont hold up too well in wet conditions but are great for comfortor casual wear. Gore tex ecco walking shoes are the best for wear and tear imo but the cheaper ecco wear easily enough I've found.

Advertisement