Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

R11 wrote: »
    yeh,its €2 extra for express shipping. I've had a quick read through the Real Life Reviews on XDA and their seems to be more "love" for the RNP8. Some people a little unhappy with camera on Realme. Had a look over on reddit and RNP8 again seems to be getting more positive reviews though the Mediatek chip is getting mixed reviews.....So ,I'm confused again!!Both seem like good phones.
    Suckit-Have you held/used both of them?

Yep, have had both go through my hands and the camera imho is much better on the Realme. I played one game on both
    I even blew up the pics and had a zoom in comparison.
    I wiped that whole disk though.
    I think it comes down to personal preference, but I also think a lot of oddballs or kids go 'all in' for Xiaomi no matter what, especially on Reddit. I had a look on Reddit there, and one poster is even saying 'xiaomi4life' after every comment..

The Xiaomi does pip the Realme in some things, but the RealMe seems better quality. The snapdragon chip is better too, even though that mediatek is great and they sent a few phones out to devs, there will still be more working on the SD712.
    Camera comparison here of them. Don't forget to match the scale and check out the small text in the different lights. Also the colours (although that's also dependant on the screen you are using), and the clarity in detail on finer objects (e.g. the lace, the string, the pencil wood) - https://www.gsmarena.com/piccmp.php3?idType=5&idPhone1=9812&idPhone2=9801
    Video comparison here - https://www.gsmarena.com/vidcmp.php3?idType=4&idPhone1=9812&idPhone2=9801

For gaming, I literally messed about with the settings in minecraft and handed them to a relative to play. There was much of a muchness and it wasn't for long. But the Redmi was definitely hotter and it seemed like it had started to stutter when I was switching it off. I uninstalled it then and felt I should have gone back to it.
    There isn't much between them, and as mentioned, I think it comes down to personal preference, for a few different reasons I prefer the RealMe.
    I also had the screen issues in the last few Redmi's in the back of my mind which if I am honest, may have helped my decision. I know the RN8P has also had people complaining about similar issues, but I have no idea how common it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭R11

Ok,what screen issues are they? Yeh,there's a couple of sadsacks on reddit alright! In saying that,I think that the Xiaomi would have better resale in 12 to 18 months as thats when I'll prob sell it on. Im selling my Mi A2 Lite currently and see a few for sale but no Realme's.
    I don't do much ,if any ,gaming so thats not important. How useful is NFC on the Redmi?Is NFC just used for paying with the phone?

Ok,what screen issues are they? Yeh,there's a couple of sadsacks on reddit alright! In saying that,I think that the Xiaomi would have better resale in 12 to 18 months as thats when I'll prob sell it on. Im selling my Mi A2 Lite currently and see a few for sale but no Realme's.
    I don't do much ,if any ,gaming so thats not important. How useful is NFC on the Redmi?Is NFC just used for paying with the phone?
    I just meant that it's hard to distinguish whether or not they would choose Redmi over most others, for no apparent reason other than it's Xiaomi.

I couldn't tell you about resale value, but I would expect the RealMe to hold it's own as much, and it has quite a few custom roms already including LineageOS and Pixel Exerience, which would be an advantage for many.
    NFC can be used for quite a few things, and for some it's a must have.
    It is possible to use google pay without NFC though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Bit of a specific request but can anybody recommend a phone with a smallish screen 5.5 inch or less with a decent sized battery.

Suckit wrote: »
    I just meant that it's hard to distinguish whether or not they would choose Redmi over most others, for no apparent reason other than it's Xiaomi.

I couldn't tell you about resale value, but I would expect the RealMe to hold it's own as much, and it has quite a few custom roms already including LineageOS and Pixel Exerience, which would be an advantage for many.
    NFC can be used for quite a few things, and for some it's a must have.
    It is possible to use google pay without NFC though.

OK, thanks for your help and advice. Looks like I'm selling my Mi a2 lite tomorrow, have a deal done. Have an old Samsung to use as back up until I get the new phone.... And I'm leaning back towards the Redmi now!! Decisions, decisions!
    Can either of them be used with a wireless charger?

• Advertisement

Just read both not compatible with wireless charging.
    OK, I think the RN8P is just a little too big /heavy for me so it's a toss up between the Mi 9 Lite and the Realme 5 pro. Going to order on amazon.es later today. I know Mi 9 lite is a little more expensive but is it worth it? Has snapdragon chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I'm just about ready to upgrade my pocofone F1, anyone any recommendations?

Things that are important to me in order.

Dual SIM
    Battery life.
    Camera Quality.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

McMurphy wrote: »

Dual SIM
    Battery life.
    Camera Quality.

Thanks

Redmi k30?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

McMurphy wrote: »

Dual SIM
    Battery life.
    Camera Quality.

Thanks
    One plus 7T.I came from the Poco to the 7T and love it,or the new mi 10 really nice phone too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

I am looking for an android phone.I have been told that that a Huawei P20 Pro would be suitable. I am just looking for a phone for basic use, decent camera internet browsing, YouTube etc. Is there anything else better value for money. P20 Pro is €400+.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Ronin247 wrote: »
    I am looking for an android phone.I have been told that that a Huawei P20 Pro would be suitable. I am just looking for a phone for basic use, decent camera internet browsing, YouTube etc. Is there anything else better value for money. P20 Pro is €400+.

Redmi note 8 pro 6gb 128gb for approx €250 delivered from Honorbuy.

Fann Linn wrote: »

Or the Mi 9 Lite from Amazon.es for €250 delivered also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭corks finest

Redmi k30?

Not amoled AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Fann Linn wrote: »

Thanks for the recommendation. Is Honorbuy reputable?? I know very little about any sellers/phones outside the standard brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,936 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Ronin247 wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendation. Is Honorbuy reputable?? I know very little about any sellers/phones outside the standard brands.

Yes. They are. I've ordered a few phones from them. Usually 2/3 day delivery.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

To me NFC is essential in a phone. I use it for topping up my leap card. If you don't ever plan to do that and never use Google Pay then it is probably not very useful to you right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

HI Folks,

Shopping around for a Xiaomi Mi 9 SE and came across this site:

xiaomi.ie

Is this legit? It's not listed in the stores at start of this thread and I don't see any references on boards.ie previously.

Price is about 10 - 20 euro cheaper than amzon.it or amozon.de entries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,936 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Jayd0g wrote: »
    HI Folks,

xiaomi.ie

Is this legit? It's not listed in the stores at start of this thread and I don't see any references on boards.ie previously.

Never heard of it. Quick look at the address and it shows it could be part of Phoneforsale.ie https://www.goldenpages.ie/phonesforsaleie-dublin-D11/
    No mention of them on boards under that name either. Would be interesting to know if they have actual stock or how long you'd have to wait if you ordered.

HI Folks,

xiaomi.ie

It could be legit, but isn't official. I personally wouldn't buy from them.

Also, fairly sure that Xiaomi haven't any official Irish store. Although they do sell phones through Three and Argos and others.

GBX wrote: »
    Never heard of it. Quick look at the address and it shows it could be part of Phoneforsale.ie https://www.goldenpages.ie/phonesforsaleie-dublin-D11/
    No mention of them on boards under that name either. Would be interesting to know if they have actual stock or how long you'd have to wait if you ordered.

Doing some digging in the meantime.

https://www.cusrev.com/reviews/www.xiaomi.ie
    Reviews on site begin circa 100 days ago and look OK (grammar, repettition, pattern of reviewer names) from a quick check.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/comments/e1vihf/can_anyone_help_i_recently_purchased_a_phone_from/
    User on Reddit was also suspicious after a delay in delivery. Received a an apology for delay email and didn't post any further. My thinking is that if the user didn't receive the phone they'd come back to complain online, but it could be either positive or negative.

I'm leaning towards a purchase through paypal.

• Advertisement

It could be legit, but isn't official. I personally wouldn't buy from them.

Also, fairly sure that Xiaomi haven't any official Irish store. Although they do sell phones through Three and Argos and others.

It's definitely not official, no links between the Xiaomi global site and this .ie store.

Given the links to phonesforsale.ie, my hesitancy now is that it would be a refurbished phone instead of a new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Yes. They are. I've ordered a few phones from them. Usually 2/3 day delivery.

+1
    Bought, arrived 2 days later via DHL.
    My next phone will be bought there too

It's definitely not official, no links between the Xiaomi global site and this .ie store.

Given the links to phonesforsale.ie, my hesitancy now is that it would be a refurbished phone instead of a new phone.

Went with Amazon.it for €25 extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭corks finest

AFAIK they are/ maybe the shop in Galway,on adverts for a few years,if it is them they are ok( mostly mi products)

Motorola One Vision 4GB/128GB, 2520x1080, Exynos 9609, 48.0MP/25.0MP, NFC, Android One..

Down to €199 on Amazon France.
    https://www.amazon.fr/Motorola-Vision-Pouces-Double-Android/dp/B07R26R4VS/
    I didn't check shipping but even if it is up around €20, that is still a good price.

I didn't check shipping but even if it is up around €20, that is still a good price.

I got a Mi 9 lite today from amazon.fr.. Ordered Sunday, €9 for express delivery, think it was €8.15 for standard. Obviously its worth the extra 85 cent to get express!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

R11 wrote:
    I got a Mi 9 lite today from amazon.fr.. Ordered Sunday, €9 for express delivery, think it was €8.15 for standard. Obviously its worth the extra 85 cent to get express!

I'm thinking of getting this phone as a replacement for my Mi A1. I'd be very interested to hear what you think of it. Has got very good reviews online anyway.

Bahanaman wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting this phone as a replacement for my Mi A1. I'd be very interested to hear what you think of it. Has got very good reviews online anyway.

Very impressed so far. Major upgrade on my Mi a2 lite. Its quick, responsive and screen is great. Camera much better than a2 lite. Battery is superb, 2 days easily with moderate usage. The finger print unlock on the front is different just takes a while to get used to. But it's quick also. Feels lighter in the hand than a2 lite even though its very slightly larger. And my gomo reception is much better than a2 lite. I'm getting more 4g coverage and quicker Internet on this phone than previous. Not sure why that is,but very happy so far.
    The only slight downside was that there's no notification light on the front (as far as I know) to notify of texts, WhatsApp, missed calls. But a guy on reddit recommended Always on Edge which is an app that gives front notifications... Have only just downloaded this so will explore later.
    Overall, it's a top quality phone at a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭skyblueflyer

Any recommendations for a phone for a person working in construction. Previously had an iPhone with otter box defender which was great. Upgraded to Ulefone Armour 6, which was not as robust as it is made out to be, broken screen and camera lens. So looking for a recommendation for a replacement around 200 mark that is robust or has a case similar to otter box defender. The phone or case would need to be rugged and suitable for a dusty environment. Battery would also be of interest.

• Advertisement

Any recommendations for a phone for a person working in construction. Previously had an iPhone with otter box defender which was great. Upgraded to Ulefone Armour 6, which was not as robust as it is made out to be, broken screen and camera lens. So looking for a recommendation for a replacement around 200 mark that is robust or has a case similar to otter box defender. The phone or case would need to be rugged and suitable for a dusty environment. Battery would also be of interest.
    The Ulefone X5 is more robust. I have a friend who is in construction and has gobe through a lot of phones. Last time he broke a phone he gave out to everyone, and he was told that him being careless has a lot to do with it.
    The X5 is so far the longest lasting. He has gone through the lot of them.
    BUT.
    I think that any phone with an otterbox, is just as good as a phone in that price range, if not better.
    There are the more robust phones (JCB for example), but they are in a different price range.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

The Realme 5 Pro is 4GB/128GB is €160 + shipping on amazon Spain..
    https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07YN1V5TG/

Advertisement