Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

timmyntc wrote: »
    Who are you going to contract the virus from in a remote location?

Farmers you are meeting in said remote locations. Foresters. Other people you may have to work with. You may want to disinfect after handling equipment other people have handled. And there are other bugs that are dangerous to workers - Leptospirosis, Giardia, Cryptosporidium to name a few.

The point was that not all workplaces have access to running water. There are workplaces in the city centre without access to running water.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

biko wrote: »
    Hopefully the parents will manage to keep them somewhat isolated. And with computers etc these days I'm sure the kids won't mind staying home.

lol

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

A few people appear to have a real issue with using alcohol and hand sanitisers as a disinfectant its bizarre, it's bordering on an agenda against them. Must be a lot of shareholders in soap companies around here....

Seriously, it's blatantly obvious why people are telling you to use soap over hand sanitiser - because soap is more effective.

There's no agenda, it's good advice and you should follow it where possible.

Ficheall wrote: »
    What on earth makes you think this?

because, for the most part, the general public are thick as ****

Seems parades are dropping like flies today. Cork and now Dublin cancelling.

Would anyone go even if it was on?

yeah a lot most certainly would

• Advertisement

inisboffin wrote: »
    (IF it's true) I'm confused why people would insist certain kids be quarantined (that class that came in contact with someone) yet their siblings could come to school. So far we see (thankfully!) that kids get less sick from it but also seem to be asymptomatic carriers.
    Surely if your sister is home playing with you and sick, it follows that you should stay home too? Kids are lovely little germ factories, as those who work with them a lot know.
    Genuine question. I don't see the logic in selective isolation. Perhaps it is limiting but to me it is actually prolonging?

anybody stpuid enough to isolate one child and still send their other kids to school really shouldn't be parents

youngrun wrote: »
    Totally disagree

The whole thing is blown out of proportion

What about the flu 44 dead this winter

https://www.rte.ie/news/health/2020/0116/1107907-flu-hse-winter-season/

Why is flu jab not madatory why no outcry

How many dead this winter from driving. Ban cars and solve the traffic

May as well lock oneself away and wither away . isolating and cutting people off only leads to more issues depression mental health etc

Panic by media and government

so you remember the last time tens of millions were forced into quarantine in cities in China, or the last time the whole of Italy was quarantined? this virus is only just getting started

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

What has this thread got to do with GALWAY CITY?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭what_traffic

One for the MOD who started the thread I reckon.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Seriously, it's blatantly obvious why people are telling you to use soap over hand sanitiser - because soap is more effective.

There's no agenda, it's good advice and you should follow it where possible.

Why are people assuming its one or the other. Regular hand washing in combination with the use of hand sanitiser is the best of all as for a number of reasons pointed out there are periods of time or places where you can't wash your hands but you can continue to disinfect using alcohol disinfectant hand gels etc.

Do you think that hand sanitiser etc is placed around hospitals for many years now just for fun? Ever see nurses and doctors walking around a hospital, constantly using alcohol hand sanitisers. But sure it's all a hoax according to a few "experts" here.

• Advertisement

this is one time multiple similar threads are allowed across various sections and not just simply moved (buried) in the middle of another thread so as to bury the conversation and the message

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

But sure it's all a hoax according to a few "experts" here.

Yet again, utterly ridiculous hyperbole from you. Can you not post without this rubbish?

I'll repeat, use soap and water where available as it is more effective than hand sanitiser. That is a fact. The advice could not be more simple.

There are countless articles online showing hand sanitiser is not as effective as soap and does not kill all germs. Here's one for example:

https://www.livescience.com/hand-sanitizer.html

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Hello folks,

I feel a lot of people will have this inquiry over the coming weeks so didn't seem right to bury it in the 'LF X in Galway section'.

For anyone interested..the Briarhill pharmacy has had some stocks come in and out over the last few days with more maybe coming friday. Applegreen also has 99% bacterial wipes on the counter.

In the mean time, has anyone got an source for me? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

-Vega- wrote: »
    Hello folks,

I feel a lot of people will have this inquiry over the coming weeks so didn't seem right to bury it in the 'LF X in Galway section'.

For anyone interested..the Briarhill pharmacy has had some stocks come in and out over the last few days with more maybe coming friday. Applegreen also has 99% bacterial wipes on the counter.

In the mean time, has anyone got an source for me? Thanks :)

Thanks for the post. Just to ask people not to grab more than you need! If you have access to soap and water it is safer. I've one bottle and I use it only when I can't wash. But I've friends who can't get to a sink as often, handle money frequently etc, and they will go through it faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Doesn't nox have a notorious aversion to soap full stop?
    The advice from the medical profession in general is to use soap and water where possible, as this washes the sebum, to which the virus sticks, off your hands and down the sink. Santizers kill the virus if the alcohol content is high enough and it does not evaporate before it has had a chance to do its job.

Sanitizers should be used to tide you over until you can wash your hands again, not as a first choice.

pure.conya wrote: »
    because, for the most part, the general public are thick as ****
    For sure. But empirically, all other things being equal, one could reason that the people advising precautions with regards to the coronavirus are not as thick as their counterparts with their heads in the sand, and are therefore less likely to attend the parade.

Presumably the concern is that you can catch it and die in Galway City. Some people might browse this thread that are not particularly clued-in to the news. When cases start popping up here, people might want to get local info without having to wade through the ton of crap in, for example, the general thread in the CA forum. Eg., I don't care overmuch about Iranian politicians getting the virus, but I would like to know about the situation in UCHG or suspected cases in NUIG, for example.
    I don't see how having information posted in multiple locations could possibly be a bad thing, but perhaps you have a reason for rating pedantry points more highly than people's health?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I think think this thread is a good idea.

We don't need the squabbling if we stick to the hygeine advice given by the CDC, but for hearing local news and local availability of helpful products, or as time goes on what local services are and aren't working, it'll be very useful.

It's a time where a community is an invaluable resource so that information can be shared. We're mostly adults, should be reasonable to expect we can manage that and if we can it could be great.

On that note...
    Anyone seen isopropyl alcohol for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Why are people assuming its one or the other. Regular hand washing in combination with the use of hand sanitiser is the best of all as for a number of reasons pointed out there are periods of time or places where you can't wash your hands but you can continue to disinfect using alcohol disinfectant hand gels etc.

Do you think that hand sanitiser etc is placed around hospitals for many years now just for fun? Ever see nurses and doctors walking around a hospital, constantly using alcohol hand sanitisers. But sure it's all a hoax according to a few "experts" here.

I work in a hospital. During orientation, you are taught that Hot water and soap are more effective than sanitizer. The sanitizer is typically by waiting rooms, maternity wards, nurse stations etc. All also have wash stations with the Oncology department, Operating Theatres and high risk areas having mandatory wash stations. Where I work, the oncology department requires washing your hands up to your elbows with soap and water for over 3 minutes (there's a sand timer at the station). Just using sanitizer is not acceptable.

The reason sanitizer is used often is as a supplement for quick action, it's not to replace proper scrubbing.

The best is not a combination, it would be to wash your hands with soap and water regularly. It's just that sinks and wash stations take up a lot of space and sometimes people don't have time to stop for 2 minutes to wash their hands.

Please everyone follow CDC and WHO guidelines and not just people online as regards washing advice.

We have 250 ICU beds in this country, to share between everyone who has a car crash, heart attack, virus etc. That's 1/4 EU average. We are going to be looking at medical staff requiring self isolation so can expect low staffing at times. The truth is we are in a particularly bad position to ride this out well.

Don't just think of yourself, everyday you're surrounded by elderly people, people recovering from cancer who have almost no immunity and people with compromised immunity for other reasons.
    They're everywhere.

Do the best thing by everyone. We have to care for own health but we also have to save each other in order to save ourselves here too, so that we don't have clogged up beds & will have some hospital capacity to give us emergency care if we need it. We need a full community effort.

I think think this thread is a good idea.

We don't need the squabbling if we stick to the hygeine advice given by the CDC, but for hearing local news and local availability of helpful products, or as time goes on what local services are and aren't working, it'll be very useful.

It's a time where a community is an invaluable resource so that information can be shared. We're mostly adults, should be reasonable to expect we can manage that and if we can it could be great.
    ?

This should be pinned at the top of the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Anyone seen isopropyl alcohol for sale?

Try the eurogiant on eglinton. Also try Asiatic Manila on abbeygate. Both behind the counter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Hand sanitizer thread moved here.

Keeping all the Covid info together

I wonder if the oral hearing for the ring road is going to get postponed. Another delay seems inevitable.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I wonder if the oral hearing for the ring road is going to get postponed. Another delay seems inevitable.

Can’t see why it would be it’s not a big gathering of people.

Can’t see why it would be it’s not a big gathering of people.

Because there's another 2 weeks left of it to run and with current projections we'll be in the delay phase before it's set to finish.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Because there's another 2 weeks left of it to run and with current projections we'll be in the delay phase before it's set to finish.

Why are we taking about cancelling small gatherings and the Uk aren’t even considering large evenings with 10’s of thousands of people.

If something like the ring road hearing gets cancelled then surly all workplaces will also have to be closed, churches closed etc.

Hand sanitizer thread moved here.

Keeping all the Covid info together

Surely a separate thread for resources like where to source important things and closures etc would be useful?

I'm not sure why we need a generalised squabbling thread, there are several on boards already, but a sticked useful thread we could update would be handy.

Surely a separate thread for resources like where to source important things and closures etc would be useful?

I'm not sure why we need a generalised squabbling thread, there are several on boards already, but a sticked useful thread we could update would be handy.

Seperate thread was handy alrite,
    the misinformation and squabbling is unreal, considering there’s a main thread on this virus already why There’s a duplicate in the Galway city forum is baffling

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

No thread will ever be useful if the incessant b*tching about how the threads should be organised stops!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭McGiver

Why are we taking about cancelling small gatherings and the Uk aren’t even considering large evenings with 10’s of thousands of people.

Why?

Italy:
    26 Feb - 78 cases
    10 Mar - 8,500 cases (650 dead)

In just 2 weeks.

Czechia and Spain have just closed all schools. Czechia has just 35 cases and they have also banned gatherings larger than 100 people, both public and private including soccer matches, concerts, parties etc. Given the dynamics seen in Italy it's the right thing to do.
    Ireland has now 30 cases and if early lock-down doesn't happen we'll see thousands of cases in 2-3 weeks time and ICU capacity fully exhausted.

• Advertisement

McGiver wrote: »
    Why?

Italy:
    26 Feb - 78 cases
    10 Mar - 8,500 cases (650 dead)

Yikes, so much for 2% death rate.

Advertisement