Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

When will the venue for the final be set? (If it hasn’t been already).

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Need to win today following that Tyrone result last night.

Great result for the 20s. Good to see us doing well again at underage after a few bad years. You'd imagine final would be in Derry?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

I love it when Paul Brennan comes off, just as much as I have disdain for Eoin McHugh coming on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Good win. If we can beat Throne we stay up.

Just seen the footage of the 2nd goal.

My goodness Patton is something else.

Great to have him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Hope the injury to Odhran McFadden Ferry is not too serious. He's still a bit rough around the edges but nothing that can't be ironed out with good coaching.

Hope the injury to Odhran McFadden Ferry is not too serious. He's still a bit rough around the edges but nothing that can't be ironed out with good coaching.

I think he’s out for the rest of the League .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I love it when Paul Brennan comes off, just as much as I have disdain for Eoin McHugh coming on.

Or better again don't name him in the starting 15! Niall O'Donnell looked really good when he came on yesterday. Unlike others he seems to be able to slip out of tackles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Or better again don't name him in the starting 15! Niall O'Donnell looked really good when he came on yesterday. Unlike others he seems to be able to slip out of tackles.

Second that. Really cannot understand why Declan is sticking with Paul Brennan other than for upper body strength.

O`Donnell as well as slipping tackles seems to be able to ghost into scoring position and take his point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Langan looks like a guy who will have a standout season.

• Advertisement

Clones at 3pm on Sunday for the U20 Final.

Odd. Must be pitch related.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

We are definitely building momentum. Performances have been good this year and there is much to be hopeful about.
    I'm not one to get carried away but I think only the corona virus can stop us this year. However, I'm confidently predicting Covid-19 Donegal 1-20.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Good solid display yesterday but Monaghan looked very Un Monaghan no niggle or bite would they have had a heavy training session during the week? Great to see Paddy back everyday he’s worth 3/4 points but when you consider all the players that are missing we are in a good place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Firblog

Any worries about the low number of scores Donegal are getting? Avg is only 13 and a bit scores per game so far

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Firblog wrote: »
    Any worries about the low number of scores Donegal are getting? Avg is only 13 and a bit scores per game so far

We have the second highest points difference of 18+ after Galway on 22+ with Kerry third on +4.

Not really.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭henke

charlie14 wrote: »
    We have the second highest points difference of 18+ after Galway on 22+ with Kerry third on +4.

Exactly, and are third highest scores with 84 (ahead of Dublin) and the best defence in the league to date.

Lads

We have good forwards with Paddy McBrearty just back and Oisin Gallen to come back at some stage.

I don't care what the scoring averages etc say the goals we conceded against Mayo and Galway suggest there are more issues with our defence. Stephen McMenamin and Paddy McGrath might help.

Someone is a fan...

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0303/1119836-donegals-development-into-a-potent-force-is-evident/

Not sure EBG was ever 'inconsistent'.

Also, he speaks about players but says nothing much about a system.

I hope he is right of course. Normally have a lot of time for his pieces. But have to remember, he is from Armagh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Lads

We have good forwards with Paddy McBrearty just back and Oisin Gallen to come back at some stage.

I don't care what the scoring averages etc say the goals we conceded against Mayo and Galway suggest there are more issues with our defence. Stephen McMenamin and Paddy McGrath might help.

I think Donegal's chances this year will heavily depend on having at least one of those two back. Anyone know how bad McMenamin's injury is?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

We need McMenamin, thought mcgrath was a bit off the pace last year and will probably struggle this year after the injury. I'd say we'll see a full back line of McGee, McMenamin and EBG. Most teams only have two forwards that stay in which will suit EBG. Half back line of O'Baoill, Ryan and McFF. Have been impressed with Ward too, think he's a decent option in the half back line. Problem is he usually ends up corner bank marking someone dangerous which he's not that good at.

They seem to be putting ryan mchugh marking the opposition's best half forward, Kilkenny vs Dublin and McCarthy vs Monaghan. I wonder if it's to avoid him being man marked, could possibly explain Paul Brennan in the half forward line to provide some cover although that's not working.

I think we've been quite solid during the league, Morrison and Conor O'Donnell were at fault for goals against Mayo and Galway. Neither of those will feature much. Patton obviously made the error versus Dublin and the first Mayo goal was a bit of a fluke. It's only the league but we haven't been opened up too much.

Anyone know if the U20 game will be streamed on Facebook by unofficial sources?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

What are the chances of GAA matches falling victim to the Corona virus outbreak? Doesn’t seem to be much difference between people gathering to watch a parade or gathering to watch a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭agfasfos

doc_17 wrote: »
    What are the chances of GAA matches falling victim to the Corona virus outbreak? Doesn’t seem to be much difference between people gathering to watch a parade or gathering to watch a match.

I suppose it depends on the numbers, 5000 seems to be the cut off point in some countries, there were 4,600 in Ballyshannon for the Monaghan match, some crowd when you take weather into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Its a strange one. Whatever about fulfilling the rest of the fixtures, the GAA today announced a double header for the U20 semi finals next Tuesday, with the division 2A hurling final as a curtain raiser to Dublin v Meath on Sunday. While neither are going to draw in massive crowds, its hardly erring on the side of caution either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

I suppose Donegal Tyrone would be expected to at least pass the 5000 mark.

Given parades being cancelled everywhere hard to see matches going ahead but they should play them with no spectators to get them run off.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't see how the logic of actual numbers works?

4950? Ok , sure you'll all be grand.

5050? No, can't happen, cancel the game.

• Advertisement

The answer is quite simply to erect a wall around Tyrone.

Advertisement