Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf price chitchat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭arctic8dave

Murang wrote: »
    Any one on Macroom today how were prices there I heard prices were well back in skibereen yesterday

2 FR bulls €40
    4 FR bulls €48
    3 AA bulls €70
    3 AA bulls €101
    Youngest was 26 days& oldest was 38 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Base price wrote: »
    Got a call last night to say there wouldn't be any sailings (calf lorries) this weekend.

I heard only Hallissey was buying in Listowel this week, fr bulls averaging 20 euro, AA 100-150.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Is there much of a backlog built up with the lack of sailings

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Is there much of a backlog built up with the lack of sailings
    Yes, older/stronger calves will be accepted for shipping/command higher prices over their younger counterparts. Basically it's a buyers market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Milk is costing 13-15 euro a week for a calf without costing in labour and straw and losses.
    I'd prefer take 5 euros at 10 days then 40 at 4 weeks old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Saw Fr bull calves not even get a bid today.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

3 neat little sh bulls made €2 in skibb. There was only one shipper there,the rest had their wings clipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

2 FR bulls €40
    4 FR bulls €48
    3 AA bulls €70
    3 AA bulls €101
    Youngest was 26 days& oldest was 38 days.

brought 11 good Hereford bulls out of it average £155 all 4 weeks and over ,the fr were a sad sad trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

The Bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭ted_182

brought 11 good Hereford bulls out of it average £155 all 4 weeks and over ,the fr were a sad sad trade.

What roughly was top hereford price?

• Advertisement

ted_182 wrote: »
    What roughly was top hereford price?
    Red Hereford bull 6 weeks old 2 farmers got stuck on him and sold for 325.
    the normal run for them was from 130 to 200,but as the day went on you would get a nice strong calf for 150.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

the normal run for them was from 130 to 200,but as the day went on you would get a nice strong calf for 150.

The weather and lads bringing v young calves to mart is putting a floor on prices atm exporter and farmer demand is strong but neither are purchasing strong atm due to no boats sailing and lads waiting for weather to settle before buying in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Would you not be better off with a friesian for nothing or even €50. Whatever bonus on the Hereford is well given away at that price is it not?

orm0nd wrote: »
    The Bridge?

Yep. They were healthy enough too and not overly pointy. Just young.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,225 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

A bit if sanity coming into Hereford calf prices.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Would you not be better off with a friesian for nothing or even €50. Whatever bonus on the Hereford is well given away at that price is it not?

At 150/ head for WH bulls you are marginalf with the WH unless FR are free First off you have a very saleable animal at weanling and store stage. As well at finishing you have a flexible animal that can be slaughtered before next winter, finished out of a shed or carried back to grass. FR need to go to higher weights to guarantee grading unless you can flat price but will weight heavier.

FR killing 360 at O- @,3.65 base 1274
    HE killing 360 at O+ & bonus. 1360

But you have the flexibility to kill at sub 300 kgs and still grade which you do not have with the Fr

Slava Ukrainii

I saw a serious hex heifer sold (lifted) for €210.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,202 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

8 fr bulls for boat at 35 euro each

Friend sold fr bulls in bandon kast week €70 got €155 for them this week. About 5 goid strong farmers turned up to buy calves. On the other hand there was aa runners sold for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Friend sold fr bulls in bandon kast week €70 got €155 for them this week. About 5 goid strong farmers turned up to buy calves. On the other hand there was aa runners sold for nothing.

Ha ha. Makes no sense. Noting quare as folk.

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Ha ha. Makes no sense. Noting quare as folk.

Sad management from the mart really , instead of having 5 farmers today to buy calves and nobody last week. They'd should make sure they have customers every week . Ill guarantee you, you won't see that in Gortatlea.

• Advertisement

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Sad management from the mart really , instead of having 5 farmers today to buy calves and nobody last week. They'd should make sure they have customers every week . Ill guarantee you, you won't see that in Gortatlea.

Tom was on the radio to night he said calves were flying trade in bandon today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Milk is costing 13-15 euro a week for a calf without costing in labour and straw and losses.
    I'd prefer take 5 euros at 10 days then 40 at 4 weeks old

3e/day to rear a calf, that's the bones of it. And lucky you to have the choice of selling at 10days old, tb means I'm stick with everything here until March 20th at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,202 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

whelan2 wrote: »
    8 fr bulls for boat at 35 euro each

Was putting on my milking gloves yesterday evening when I realised the dealer took the wrong pile of cards for the calves:eek:. I rang him and luckily he was still collecting calves in the area. Oh met him and gave him the correct cards. Would have had all the calves back after picking up god knows what in the lorry all day.

Saw a lot of calves selling today in Ennis. Crazy prices. One guy had a bunch of black whiteheads bulls and they all made over €300 with some to €375. Most black lims made €180 to €230. Fr bulls around the €50 mark. The odd good one to €120.
    Nice chars bulls and heifers made high €300's also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭tanko

Saw a lot of calves selling today in Ennis. Crazy prices. One guy had a bunch of black whiteheads bulls and they all made over €300 with some to €375. Most black lims made €180 to €230. Fr bulls around the €50 mark. The odd good one to €120.
    Nice chars bulls and heifers made high €300's also.

Great to see it, they're not half crazy enough imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Anyone come across saler fr cross and if so how much were they making

Gary kk wrote: »
    Anyone come across saler fr cross and if so how much were they making

What colour would that cross be - all black, or would some come red?

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

What colour would that cross be - all black, or would some come red?

Mostly red here anyway

Kanturk today prices :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Sold 5 fr bull calves Enniscorthy Mart.
    From 145 to 50. Average 114.
    Four AA bulls and heifers 255 to 145.
    One fr heifer twin to bull e15.
    All in around the 4 to 5 week of age.

Advertisement