Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat chat: general off topic discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭robwen

The plans to develop a Mosque and Islamic centre in Kilkenny city have been rejected.

The county council had granted permission for the development last October but it was appealed.

This morning An Bord Pleanála confirmed to KCLR news that letters went out to the interested parties yesterday detailing its decision to refuse the development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 HenryWoods

I think anyone voting for 1 candidate over a mosque in Kilkenny, with all the other issues that exist need to sort out their priorities.

I'd vote for him and MacGrath.
    Besides, Kilkenny is an absolute basket case of a county run by auld landowner Prods and corrupt blow-in Councillors.
    I know Carlow is bad, but nothing come close to what goes on in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

HenryWoods wrote: »
    Besides, Kilkenny is an absolute basket case of a county run by auld landowner Prods and corrupt blow-in Councillors.

So let’s mske it even worse by electing amateur spoofers of very low intellect and education- bound to improve things!

I think anyone voting for 1 candidate over a mosque in Kilkenny, with all the other issues that exist need to sort out their priorities.

All a whipped up hysteria to dupe the not very bright amongst us into voting for assorted cracked pots

road_high wrote: »
    All a whipped up hysteria to dupe the not very bright amongst us into voting for assorted cracked pots

The crackpots are already in power. FineGael/Fail are the one party now, all of the Councillors looking for election have very vague and distorted policies around jobs and housing, knowing full well they have NO power to deliver on anything they promise.

Like in Carlow, Kilkenny is run by those unelected like the Council and those hogs in the Kilkenny Chamber/Tourist Board.

• Advertisement

The crackpots are already in power. FineGael/Fail are the one party now, all of the Councillors looking for election have very vague and distorted policies around jobs and housing, knowing full well they have NO power to deliver on anything they promise.

Like in Carlow, Kilkenny is run by those unelected like the Council and those hogs in the Kilkenny Chamber/Tourist Board.

Will they supplying a free tinfoil hat as well?
    All those chemtrails and vaccines must be going to your head. Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Who are the auld landowner prods corrupt blow in councillors that are running the council.

Well, where to begin? How about a history lesson of Kilkenny covering the last 100 years?

Well, where to begin? How about a history lesson of Kilkenny covering the last 100 years?

So you are talking about the last 100 years, I presumed you were talking about the present council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Referring to it as 'a mosque' is plain dishonesty.

Who are you trying to kid ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

For those hoisting Eugene Cable Guy McGuinness on a pedestal perhaps consider the following:

1. Single Issue McGuinness raised "traffic concerns" in his objection to Kilkenny Co. Co. who promptly & rightly ignored him & granted PP based on a TIA being submitted to their satisfaction.

2. He then appealed it & ABP, while refusing it, made & make NO MENTION of traffic as a concern.

So Eugenes traffic concerns were dog-whistling; what sort of logic dictates that Eugene's after sticking it to the Muslim Man as a result?

Baffling.

Here's hoping for a 2009 result for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

And what are you trying to say exactly?

I'm saying that you know the rejected development involves a lot more than just 'a mosque', because you have done your research before commenting on the topic.

You are familiar with the planned development that you are commenting on, yes ?

Pat Treacy; once, perhaps even long time of Radio Kilkenny which is where I first happened upon him; he subsequently was subsumed into or signed for KCLR.

Heard a segment from the 2009 All Ireland on Sue Nunn Show this evening and it was Brendan Hennessy, Ml. Walsh & him.

But I don't know if he was just back for that match or was still a part of KCLR at the time and subsequently departed; I'll admit that for work & other reasons I wasn't in a position to listen to KCLR much in the 00s but I've gotten into it big time in last decade but his isn't a voice I've heard doing commentaries; I associate that with Messrs. Hennessy, O'Leary & Regan & to a lesser extent Byrne.

So where is he? What's he done since & when'd he leave KCLR? Why? Was he just not the right fit in terms of type of audience they were looking for? Was he too much GAA and not knowledgeable enough for the Rugby & Soccer/Football commentaries (rare enough) & coverage on say Saturday & Sunday Sport (something any regional station must find incredibly difficult to do; listeners want it though but to me it's only a filler before a match comes on....otherwise I wouldn't tune in)?

Would love to know; can still hear him, in that inimitably nasally tone of his doing commentary of Kilkenny games & doing Sports coverage on Radio Kilkenny especially.

He is part of the sports team on the city community radio.

Rumours of a Direct Provision Centre in Ballyraggett.......another Mosque situation gonna kick off again.

So John McGuinness is doing more political posturing threatening to vote against the Govt. in No Confidence Votes rather than abstain.

Belatedly; far too belatedly; easy do this when he knows an election is on the way.

Why people keep falling for his schtick is beyond me.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    So John McGuinness is doing more political posturing threatening to vote against the Govt. in No Confidence Votes rather than abstain.

Belatedly; far too belatedly; easy do this when he knows an election is on the way.

Why people keep falling for his schtick is beyond me.

Wait until FF get in- he'll really be up his "opposition" to everything. His stock and trade is to grandstand oppose every single government policy that he thinks is unpopular, particularly with the welfare junkies that vote for him. Works well for him as he swans around in his BMW X5 pretending to be the common man.
    His supporters are not the brightest- generally working class/low educational attianment types who like simple solutions paid for by other people. In other words core FF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

https://www.facebook.com/445205193004119/posts/577686163089354/?d=n

I see Tiempo is closing down. I passed there this evening and they had taken down all their posters and menus from the window. Must have been with immediate effect as I saw people eating in there last night.

sillymoo wrote: »

I see Tiempo is closing down. I passed there this evening and they had taken down all their posters and menus from the window. Must have been with immediate effect as I saw people eating in there last night.

That didn’t last long!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭JDMC2

If the tapas place in ROse inn street can remain open for years and it’s down a quiet street. How can a tapas place in a prime spot only last a few months?
    Same with coffee shop! Went in a couple if times but waited so long to be served that I left.
    Is it that difficult to run an eatery or is it just too easy when it’s being funded?
    Heard a lot of local suppliers were hit on most recent closure....I’m unimpressed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭finlma

sillymoo wrote: »

No surprise. The food and service was awful.

JDMC2 wrote: »
    If the tapas place in ROse inn street can remain open for years and it’s down a quiet street. How can a tapas place in a prime spot only last a few months?
    Same with coffee shop! Went in a couple if times but waited so long to be served that I left.
    Is it that difficult to run an eatery or is it just too easy when it’s being funded?
    Heard a lot of local suppliers were hit on most recent closure....I’m unimpressed

And people with gift vouchers which they sold in the run up to Christmas knowing damn well things were going poorly. Good few on social media stung. But still they robbed people's money.
    I can't blame suppliers these days being so cagey about giving credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

And people with gift vouchers which they sold in the run up to Christmas knowing damn well things were going poorly. Good few on social media stung. But still they robbed people's money.
    I can't blame suppliers these days being so cagey about giving credit.

Regarding Gift Vouchers they appear to be addressing that issue based on their Facebook page.

I'm slightly vision impaired & looked at this link to try see how I'm getting from McDonagh Train Stn. to KCLR & back > https://www.transportforireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Kilkenny-Online-Timetables-KK1.pdf

I might as well be looking up a cows so can someone tell me please, based on the following parameters, what times the buses are please??

Train from Carlow 14:09-1438 KK or Carlow 1606-1635 Kilkenny & KK Return to Carlow 1530 (Unlikely I'll make it back in in time for this but still....) or Departing KK 1902.

What times does Bus KK 1 (or is it 2) leave at from McDonagh (I'm assuming it's the train station itself????) after I arrive and what time from KCLR to get me back in for either of those times?

Thanks....

Can you download the TFI App? You can put in the stop and get the exact times. Basically every 30 mins.
    There's a few stops near MacDonagh station- inbound to town outside Eddie Rocketts or St. Johns (R.C.) Church depending on which route you are taking.

Outbound at surface MacDonagh Junction car park (across from St. Johns R.C. Church)- think that's the one you need for heading out to KCLR, route KK2 St. Lukes hospital to Purcellsinch route.

Can you download the TFI App? You can put in the stop and get the exact times. Basically every 30 mins.
    There's a few stops near MacDonagh station- inbound to town outside Eddie Rocketts or St. Johns (R.C.) Church depending on which route you are taking.

Outbound at surface MacDonagh Junction car park (across from St. Johns R.C. Church)- think that's the one you need for heading out to KCLR, route KK2 St. Lukes hospital to Purcellsinch route.

Cheers; just posted re same in the New Bus thread; should probably've posted my initial query there rather than derail (!) or distract from this thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112571112&postcount=85

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058010967&page=6

Good to know on the Eddie Rockets one; all I could think of today when I was passing by it while whiling the time away for 3-4 hours was that house across the road!!

Am more likely to be using the KK 2 route since it serves Lukes I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Moving back to kilkenny in the coming months after a few years at the other end of the world, just wondering what the go is with decent pubs in the city for a not too hectic session at the weekend?
    Before i left Langtons was the spot to go but i could never see the attraction to the place despite being there almost weekly, i havent been in a nightclub since I left Ireland a few years back and im all the better for it i reckon. Im not an old man either, just rather the pub vibe as theres generally a good bunch of twenty somethings like myself in the pubs out this side no matter where you go and theres generally a lack of knobheads in tbe pubs here too.
    Was in Billy Byrnes a few times alright but i thought it was full of quarehawks at the time other than that twas grand.
    Am I foolish to think theres spots like it in Kilkenny or am I better off trying to find work in another part of the country?

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭JDMC2

I would try to get work and accommodation before looking into the pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

JDMC2 wrote: »
    I would try to get work and accommodation before looking into the pubs

Have that sorted, no shortage of work and have access to accomadation.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Quarehawk? No 20something would use that word.

Advertisement