Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CTA flights at DUB. Why are they not segregated?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

GBX wrote: »
    Will Ireland join the Schengen area agreement going forward with Brexit in progress? Why did the govt decide not to go ahead and join previously?

We didn't join because the UK didn't join. We can't be in both the Schengen and the CTA and it's unlikely to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Sorry to sidetrack. This is something I'm curious about.

What if someone flew a small private aircraft from France for example to Weston.

Who would do the Schengen exit checks and where would the be done? Who would check the documents of passengers landing in Ireland? Assuming all passengers are EU citizens.

What if I flew Russian or Chinese passport holders in with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Crock Rock wrote: »
    Sorry to sidetrack. This is something I'm curious about.

What if someone flew a small private aircraft from France for example to Weston.

Who would do the Schengen exit checks and where would the be done? Who would check the documents of passengers landing in Ireland? Assuming all passengers are EU citizens.

What if I flew Russian or Chinese passport holders in with me?

Well such a flight would require 48 hours advance notice, and INIS officials would be required to meet the flight at Weston.

You can’t simply fly in on the spur of the moment without prior notification if that’s what you’re thinking.

Look at www.westonairport.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

GBX wrote: »
    Will Ireland join the Schengen area agreement going forward with Brexit in progress? Why did the govt decide not to go ahead and join previously?

We can't join Schengen while we have an open border with a non-schengen country.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Well such a flight would require 48 hours advance notice, and INIS officials would be required to meet the flight at Weston.

You can’t simply fly in on the spur of the moment without prior notification if that’s what you’re thinking.

Look at www.westonairport.ie

Thanks. People here really know their stuff.

Would INIS have to meet a private flight from the UK to Ireland?

Can a person be charged with illegal immigration into their own country?

What if I flew my own private helicopter from the north of France and just landed in my own garden?

Sorry for the stupid questions, folks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

VG31 wrote: »
    I never said they don't happen but they can't be that frequent as I've never experienced them.

I've never had ID checks on intra Schengen flights either (haven't taken anywhere near as many of these as flights to the UK admittedly). I have experienced checks at land borders though.

There are frequent boarding pass checks and/or passport checks coming into BHX with the utterly stupid arrivals set up at the Ryanair gates for EI flights. Dublin does it well by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I flew yesterday with Mrs. Rock to LGW from DUB. We were able to just swan off as if we were doing an intra-Schengen flight from HEL to CDG for example. It was brilliant not having to queue at passport control.

To contrast this, when I return to DUB later this week I'll be in the same queue as arrivals from LHR, LGW, CDG, JFK and even Hong Kong.

Even flights from Donegal to Dublin are forced through passport control. Are we in the CTA or not?

I flew back from a funeral in Birmingham last Tuesday, there are signs saying EU and UK ( CTA )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Thanks. People here really know their stuff.

Would INIS have to meet a private flight from the UK to Ireland?

Can a person be charged with illegal immigration into their own country?

What if I flew my own private helicopter from the north of France and just landed in my own garden?

Sorry for the stupid questions, folks.

Drug run is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭x567

Slightly off-topic, but I can't see how the current CTA arrangements can possibly work going in to the UK once their new immigration rules announced today take effect? If it continues like it is today (I am another that has rarely if ever had my passport checked going in to the UK over many trips), then any EU citizen without a visa could probably just walk into the UK from Ireland and bypass the new UK controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

I wonder if some of the posters on this thread are aware that there is a Legal Forum ?

• Advertisement

x567 wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic, but I can't see how the current CTA arrangements can possibly work going in to the UK once their new immigration rules announced today take effect? If it continues like it is today (I am another that has rarely if ever had my passport checked going in to the UK over many trips), then any EU citizen without a visa could probably just walk into the UK from Ireland and bypass the new UK controls.

I just sincerely hope that our position as an integral EU member is not compromised because of the British.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

x567 wrote: »

What have the rules today got to do with it. Millions of people will still continue to visit the UK up for to 90 days and EU citizens will not require a Visa (regardless of deal or not). No such thing as bypassing UK controls because they receive Advanced Passenger Information when you arrive and depart UK.

The UK are wise to people who use Ireland as a route to avoid getting caught.

We arrived back yesterday, we flew with WX.

At immigration I just showed my boarding pass and a public services card and told him I came in from LCY and he waved me through.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There will be an issue with the CTA in that it will be like pre 1992 in that there will be customs checks.
    At DUB they would be wise to segregate flights for this reason alone.

Customs is after immigration (and baggage reclaim, obviously) so it makes no difference, still blue green and red channels and it's up to you to go through the correct one.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I fly from Donegal to Dublin using my work ID as identification, as EI accepts this.

My OH was refused travel from KIR-DUB a few weeks ago because she didn't have a driver's licence or passport with her. She did have her work ID.

EI refused work ID as they stated she'd have problems in DUB on arrival, and EI could possibly be fined for accepting a non-official ID.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

blackwhite wrote: »
    My OH was refused travel from KIR-DUB a few weeks ago because she didn't have a driver's licence or passport with her. She did have her work ID.

EI refused work ID as they stated she'd have problems in DUB on arrival, and EI could possibly be fined for accepting a non-official ID.

I think it depends if the ID states nationality and DOB etc

• Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Driving licence doesn't state nationality!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Driving licence doesn't state nationality!

For domestic travel, nationality doesn't matter. The dives if the id does. A driving licences is an official government provided id

Locker10a wrote: »
    I think it depends if the ID states nationality and DOB etc

Previous poster stated that they were able to travel from CFN-DUB with a work ID only. I can't imagine that there's many employers who include DOB and Nationality on their ID badges? Equally well, airlines are required to validate the ID of every passenger - if challenged by regulator, etc. then would a work ID that cannot be validated as genuine or fake qualify as suitable ID ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Previous poster stated that they were able to travel from CFN-DUB with a work ID only. I can't imagine that there's many employers who include DOB and Nationality on their ID badges? Equally well, airlines are required to validate the ID of every passenger - if challenged by regulator, etc. then would a work ID that cannot be validated as genuine or fake qualify as suitable ID ?

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/passports-and-visas/travel-to-from-britain/

Actually it seems having a photos is the most important thing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I forgot my passport once for a trip to London and got through with a work ID that just had a name and photo on it. No issues with the Aer Lingus crew, but did get a little bit of hassle going through immigration in Dublin on the way back. They said I should have proof of nationality on the card, but still let me through with only a small bit of grumbling.

Locker10a wrote: »
    https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/passports-and-visas/travel-to-from-britain/

Actually it seems having a photos is the most important thing!

Her work ID includes name and photo. EI check-in staff in KIR clearly being a bit over-zealous!
    At least the train station was only over the road for her :pac:

I have used the DUB to KIR and CFN routes over past couple of years without passport, but with ID. I used the card the government wanted us all to get, which I have no problem with. They asked for passport once and I replied that I didn’t believe it is a necessity to show passport when travelling within one’s own country but that I was open to correction. Two airport police were nearby and indeed concluded they had no option but to let me through. I did offer to show the ticket ticket stub in addition, just to offer them peace of mind that I was legitimate. They know the infrastructure that requires all arrivals to go through passport control was done without thinking.

But a non-legitimate (non of, but got want of a better word) person could arrive and if cunning enough wait until one of the four (I think) daily domestic flights arrive in and say they had just come off that, whilst offering ID such as driving license from their country of origin. I’m presuming they would require the ID to have been issued in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭trellheim

The airline can oblige you to carry any ID they mandate (its their airplane after all). I despise Ryanair for doing this ( and accepting continental European ID cards but not drivers licenses on CTA flights (but they do on intra-UK flights) which have are stronger ID than the ID card )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Her work ID includes name and photo. EI check-in staff in KIR clearly being a bit over-zealous!
    At least the train station was only over the road for her :pac:

I think a EC261 denial of boarding claim would be a good idea.

trellheim wrote: »
    The airline can oblige you to carry any ID they mandate (its their airplane after all). I despise Ryanair for doing this ( and accepting continental European ID cards but not drivers licenses on CTA flights (but they do on intra-UK flights) which have are stronger ID than the ID card )

FR accept the passport card which is more equivalent to the continental ID cards than a licence.

Bump.

What about high profile celebrities. Could Miley Cyrus arrive unannounced if she had a private plane?

Would she need to have her passport stamped or could she just swan in without even talking to INIS?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bump.

What about high profile celebrities. Could Miley Cyrus arrive unannounced if she had a private plane?

Would she need to have her passport stamped or could she just swan in without even talking to INIS?

The aircraft wouldn't be allowed land unannounced and they would need to clear immigration. There is the Platinum Services terminal if you wish to avoid the great unwashed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭trellheim

L1011 is correct. Define unannounced though, the pilots of that private plane would have an interest in holding onto their licenses, for example there are procedures for immigration at Weston and other small airports.

As the UK is no longer a member of the EU can they still use the e-Gates ? Was that governed by an SI ( not too sure when we were doing the detailed discussion back then ) or does it only apply during transition

* main reason for asking is that CTA inbounds to Malaga etc all funnel through the same egates so if they are dumping the brits out of egates then they will probably dump us out as well otherwise they would have to segregate and i can't see them doing it

• Advertisement

trellheim wrote: »

* main reason for asking is that CTA inbounds to Malaga etc all funnel through the same egates so if they are dumping the brits out of egates then they will probably dump us out as well otherwise they would have to segregate and i can't see them doing it

That's bollocks and would be grossly unfair to Irish people.

We are a fully-fledged member of the EU and if an EU county attempted to treat us differently I'd fully hope they'd be told to stop.

Are Gibraltar and British Overseas Territoties (BOT) in the CTA?

Advertisement