Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GOMO network and failure to receive SMS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jimbob1255

mickotoole wrote: »
    I've wasted about 90 minutes arguing with them online. Here is what I received
    we can assure you that GoMo is not fixing this for any customers as the issue does not reside on our network. The lack of customer details for 2 Factor Authentication is solely with the SMS provider, not the operator (GoMo). We have completed extensive testing on this issue and we have proved with Bank of Ireland and AIB that they are receiving the 2FA requests, however, it takes time on their systems for your details to be populated after first registration with a new mobile network.

If after first registration your details are not validated with the SMS provider or the service provider (i.e BOI, AIB etc.) then the issue with the details not populating is on their end, not GoMo’s.

What is so frustrating is that I signed up with GoMo without porting my number. My wife signed up at the same time but she ported from Virgin. I can get SMS from banks/online services but my wife cannot. So when they say that it is a routing issue they are talking out of their arses. If it was a routing issue then it would affect all GoMo numbers surely? The only thing she can do now if find another provider. GoMo have absolutely no intention of dealing with this.

Yes they are talking out their holes which is what is driving me mad. There is no talking to them and they comreg are taking there word at face value when they send the same message you received back to comreg which is making me even more frustrated.

I am trying to port away from them and then port back as I imagine porting my number will fix the issue. However they won't continue to give me the ten euro deal nor will they give me a SIM for free making me pay another ten euro activation fee.

Has anyone moved network can I ask? Just wondering because we will need to get a 2fa to port our number and wondering can we even get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭KildareP

jimbob1255 wrote: »
    I am trying to port away from them and then port back as I imagine porting my number will fix the issue. However they won't continue to give me the ten euro deal nor will they give me a SIM for free making me pay another ten euro activation fee.

Has anyone moved network can I ask? Just wondering because we will need to get a 2fa to port our number and wondering can we even get that?

From experience, further porting generally doesn't resolve the issue.
    Whatever causes a particular operator to fall out of sync in the first instance is not corrected by a subsequent port, it needs manual intervention on behalf of your current operator (i.e. GoMo).

In saying that - what has helped me in the past is to port to a competent operator who can have the routing issue corrected and then re-try porting to your ultimate desired operator.
    Of course in your case you lose the €9.99 offer. It also carries a risk of the exact same scenario arising again (although thankfully have not encountered that to date).

KildareP wrote: »
    From experience, further porting generally doesn't resolve the issue.
    Whatever causes a particular operator to fall out of sync in the first instance is not corrected by a subsequent port, it needs manual intervention on behalf of your current operator (i.e. GoMo).

In saying that - what has helped me in the past is to port to a competent operator who can have the routing issue corrected and then re-try porting to your ultimate desired operator.
    Of course in your case you lose the €9.99 offer. It also carries a risk of the exact same scenario arising again (although thankfully have not encountered that to date).

Could I ask who you are currently with who had the common sense to fix this issue? Don't want to port to someone else who acts the same as these useless things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭KildareP

Could I ask who you are currently with who had the common sense to fix this issue? Don't want to port to someone else who acts the same as these useless things

Three (Current) and Tesco have both been very helpful.

Vodafone can be a little slow and will often take several attempts to get through to an agent who understands the issue but have had success.

Eir were utterly unhelpful (guessing why GoMo are similarly unengaging).

Don't really have experience of the others as I was mostly coming across these issues on the corporate side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mickotoole

I've sent them a few different messages now and this is the latest reply ...
    Hi There,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Unfortunately the response it sounds like you have previously received would be the answer, as this HLR issue being reported isn't the cause, and it is either the routing from your bank's third party used for the texts or your previous provider which is causing this issue, it's not something we can fix on our end unfortunately.

So it looks like this is the official line with GoMo and they have decided that they are not going to spend anymore time on it. So utterly frustrating.

I've sent them a few different messages now and this is the latest reply ...
    Hi There,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Unfortunately the response it sounds like you have previously received would be the answer, as this HLR issue being reported isn't the cause, and it is either the routing from your bank's third party used for the texts or your previous provider which is causing this issue, it's not something we can fix on our end unfortunately.

So it looks like this is the official line with GoMo and they have decided that they are not going to spend anymore time on it. So utterly frustrating.

phonenumber-lookup.info

Could you try inputting the number having the issues into this website. Mine can't execute the lookup however all other numbers I know work can. Be interesting just to see another number that doesn't work. If yours is the same I will definitely be pushing the fact as to why ours can't execute it but the numbers that work can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

How about putting a Three PAYG SIM in a spare phone to use for banking 2FA...not ideal but at least you'd keep the cheaper gomo deal.

Dual SIM phone is handy for such situations.

If you're referring to the porting verification code then that's a network sent SMS rather than a third party SMS from a bank so it should work if you decide to port.

No guarantee that porting out and back would resolve it and might even create other problems.

phonenumber-lookup.info

Could you try inputting the number having the issues into this website. Mine can't execute the lookup however all other numbers I know work can. Be interesting just to see another number that doesn't work. If yours is the same I will definitely be pushing the fact as to why ours can't execute it but the numbers that work can.

Same as you. Problem number cannot execute the lookup however all other numbers at my disposal can (including the non ported GoMo number)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

Just ported back today to gomo again. First time with them in November was a disaster. Calls not getting through and 2fa texts never arriving. My local new mast was just 4g enabled for eir so tonight would give them another chance. Port went through Tuesday straight away on time. Number seeing correctly this time in mygomo and so far banking 2fa texts coming through straight away. Tested Amazon 2fa also and they came through so seems finally had worked with this Port back from 48 this time. Previous Port was from lycamobile

• Advertisement

Same as you. Problem number cannot execute the lookup however all other numbers at my disposal can (including the non ported GoMo number)

Issue definitely stemming from here so.

irishchris wrote: »
    Just ported back today to gomo again. First time with them in November was a disaster. Calls not getting through and 2fa texts never arriving. My local new mast was just 4g enabled for eir so tonight would give them another chance. Port went through Tuesday straight away on time. Number seeing correctly this time in mygomo and so far banking 2fa texts coming through straight away. Tested Amazon 2fa also and they came through so seems finally had worked with this Port back from 48 this time. Previous Port was from lycamobile

Cheers for this update. Did you do anything or have to contact 48 when you ported over to them to fix it or did the porting to 48 and porting back simply fix it?

I've attached 2 screenshots. One from a Virgin Mobile number ported to GoMo (the one with the errors) and the other screenshot from a GoMo number that was not ported (everything looks good there).

Have we any recourse here? How do we make GoMo listen and take action?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ivorb

As I've mentioned earlier in the thread, I had the same problem (damaged HLR record), but for some reason GoMo decided to fix mine. I have a suspicion that no-one communicates with each other at GoMo. No-one at GoMo will give their name to customers, which means when a problem is fixed, your can't even ask a specific person who knows how to fix the problem.

Comreg are useless. When I told them how my problem was fixed, but that there are many others who can't get it fixed, they couldn't care less. They're a light-touch regulator, who think their job is to compile stats. My advice is to keep nagging Comreg and refuse to close your case.

At GoMo, keep asking for your case to be escalated to a manager. If anyone wants to PM me, I can give them my name and number, which might help when telling GoMo how to fix the problem (or maybe it wont).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

As I've mentioned earlier in the thread, I had the same problem (damaged HLR record), but for some reason GoMo decided to fix mine. I have a suspicion that no-one communicates with each other at GoMo. No-one at GoMo will give their name to customers, which means when a problem is fixed, your can't even ask a specific person who knows how to fix the problem.

If you submit a SAR you might be able to find out how exactly Gomo fixed the issue. At the very least Gomo will have to put in some effort.

The regulator seems to have been captured by the regulatees

The plot thickens ... My wife was trying to sign up to our kids school app but she couldn't because she could not receive the OTP. I logged a call with the app developer and this is what I got back ...
    Our SMS provider, Twilio, who issues the OTP codes for registration with our App has generated the OTP code and attempted to send it to your wife's phone on 7 occasions.  We have received the error message below in return so the OTP was not delivered to her phone:

30005 The destination number you are trying to reach is unknown and may no longer exist.

I have included here a screenshot of the initiation of the OTP code if that might help you.

Our SMS provider has generated and sent codes to your wife's phone since 20/02 without successful delivery of any of the codes.

If you could let me know if GoMo respond with any clarification to this issue that would be a great help to us if any of our other users face the same problem.

I will try once more with GoMo to see if I can get any traction.

The plot thickens ... My wife was trying to sign up to our kids school app but she couldn't because she could not receive the OTP. I logged a call with the app developer and this is what I got back ...
    Our SMS provider, Twilio, who issues the OTP codes for registration with our App has generated the OTP code and attempted to send it to your wife's phone on 7 occasions.  We have received the error message below in return so the OTP was not delivered to her phone:

30005 The destination number you are trying to reach is unknown and may no longer exist.

I have included here a screenshot of the initiation of the OTP code if that might help you.

Our SMS provider has generated and sent codes to your wife's phone since 20/02 without successful delivery of any of the codes.

If you could let me know if GoMo respond with any clarification to this issue that would be a great help to us if any of our other users face the same problem.

I will try once more with GoMo to see if I can get any traction.

Keep us updated as to what GOMO says 😂 round in circles again with them or sometimes you get the people who say I'll send that off to my supervisor and get back to you when they reply... But you never get an email then...

Yeah,

I'm writing up an email now that will go to the CEO of Eir and the Director of Customer Operations. I will also be adding complaints@gomo.ie to the list. I will send the email daily until I get a reply and after a week if I don't get a reply I will email twice daily ...

Lol think I've annoyed them yay.
    Unfortunately we have given you all the information we have and cannot assist in this issue. The lack of customer details for 2 Factor Authentication is solely with the SMS provider, not the operator (GoMo). We have completed extensive testing on this issue and we have proved with Bank of Ireland and AIB that they are receiving the 2FA requests, however, it takes time on their systems for your details to be populated after first registration with a new mobile network. Thanks for chatting with me today.
    Representative Mathew has left the session
    Chat session ended

Literally sent them one message and this was the response I got and then they left the chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Yeah,

I'm writing up an email now that will go to the CEO of Eir and the Director of Customer Operations. I will also be adding complaints@gomo.ie to the list. I will send the email daily until I get a reply and after a week if I don't get a reply I will email twice daily ...

Fibonacci them.

• Advertisement

Renjit wrote: »
    Fibonacci them.

Ok some progress at least for me. I got to talk to a guy in Eir. Very knowledgeable guy too. I got some insight into what was going on. It seems, at least for my particular case that the port of the number didn't go through properly. They are going to follow up with Virgin to see what went wrong. Hopefully this will lead to some kind of resolution for all affected. I'll post an update when or if this all gets sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

Cheers for this update. Did you do anything or have to contact 48 when you ported over to them to fix it or did the porting to 48 and porting back simply fix it?

It was a nightmare to Port away from gomo as every network I tried to change to I couldn't receive their text to confirm number to Port. In end I had to go into Vodafone shop and they rang by number to confirm in shop and ported it there. Then switched following month to 48 and two months later ported from 48 to gomo by just filling out the gomo port page

Ok some progress at least for me. I got to talk to a guy in Eir. Very knowledgeable guy too. I got some insight into what was going on. It seems, at least for my particular case that the port of the number didn't go through properly. They are going to follow up with Virgin to see what went wrong. Hopefully this will lead to some kind of resolution for all affected. I'll post an update when or if this all gets sorted out.

Did you ring Eir directly to get this info? Are Eir going to handle this case for you or did they pass it back to the Muppets on GOMO customer service?

Did you ring Eir directly to get this info? Are Eir going to handle this case for you or did they pass it back to the Muppets on GOMO customer service?
    They rang me. They said that they were going to chase this up with Virgin Media on my behalf and also asked if I could get some extra information from the app developer that was sending the OTP.

I got an email to say that Eir had been chatting to Virgin and that they updated the routing for this GoMo number. This suggests an issue on the Virgin Media side. I haven't had a chance to test it yet but once I do I will update the thread. If this in fact the case then it really is not a GoMo issue and, if you're cynical, you could argue that this was Virgin Media trying to cause problems for customers moving to GoMo.

More updates when I have them.

They rang me. They said that they were going to chase this up with Virgin Media on my behalf and also asked if I could get some extra information from the app developer that was sending the OTP.

I got an email to say that Eir had been chatting to Virgin and that they updated the routing for this GoMo number. This suggests an issue on the Virgin Media side. I haven't had a chance to test it yet but once I do I will update the thread. If this in fact the case then it really is not a GoMo issue and, if you're cynical, you could argue that this was Virgin Media trying to cause problems for customers moving to GoMo.

More updates when I have them.

Did you get a chance to check did this work?

Not yet. Been busy all weekend so haven't had a chance. Will update the thread when I know

Not yet. Been busy all weekend so haven't had a chance. Will update the thread when I know

Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this issue still but GOMO are now taking action by contacting your previous provider as it is a routing issue. Mine is still back with my previous network so I can't be sure it works but I imagine it will.

Ivorb mentioned they fixed this for him months ago and seemed to be by contacting his previous network so they knew the fix all along just didn't communicate it between eachother it seems? Not really sure what that was about.

Either way if you contact them now they are attempting to do something about it.

Anyone get any closer to fixing this? I'm still back and forth with them and not really sure if they are actually contacting my previous network or just kicking the can down the road everytime I message them.

• Advertisement

Anyone get any closer to fixing this? I'm still back and forth with them and not really sure if they are actually contacting my previous network or just kicking the can down the road everytime I message them.
    I've only just now got around to testing this and can confirm that my wife's phone is now getting OTP codes that previously weren't being delivered. If anyone else is having this issue I would suggest contacting your previous provider and ask them to update the routing on your number. It might be quicker than going through GoMo

Advertisement