Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf price chitchat

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    17 calves sent home from bandon yesterday. Starvation. Same lad milks about 120 cows.)

Rightly so followed with being prosecuted and fined with it , would be proper order !

The few pound in giving few gallons of milk to a calf won’t make or break anyone!

There’s right and wrong - and as a neighbour said lately be responsible for what u breed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Rightly so followed with being prosecuted and fined with it , would be proper order !

The few pound in giving few gallons of milk to a calf won’t make or break anyone!

There’s right and wrong - and as a neighbour said lately be responsible for what u breed!

Hungry farmer, hungry calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭mf240

It would reduce homeless crisis too.!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

3-4 week old friesian averaged 100 in new ross today
    plenty not sold
    stopping taking jersey cross calves as no one will bid on them

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Any word on any boats going? Plenty of crap prices in local mart during the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote:
    Any word on any boats going? Plenty of crap prices in local mart during the week

Is the early bubble burst?! Iv nothing gone yet.

visatorro wrote: »
    Is the early bubble burst?! Iv nothing gone yet.
    No buyers for young fr calves in Ardee on tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 21,217 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Big sale in Macroom today. Batch of Fr bulls €58/hd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Fr bulls for f all yesterday in bandon. The main buyer had a cracking pen of calves @ €50.(he'd 430 calves altogether)
    Boat cancelled today and a doubt Thursday. Aa & hex bulls a good trade still 240 ish for a straight one.
    Saying that two lads had a row over 3 good fr bulls that made €140. Saw the same 3 make €22 earlier in the morning.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Fr bulls for f all yesterday in bandon. The main buyer had a cracking pen of calves @ €50.(he'd 430 calves altogether)
    Boat cancelled today and a doubt Thursday. Aa & hex bulls a good trade still 240 ish for a straight one.
    Saying that two lads had a row over 3 good fr bulls that made €140. Saw the same 3 make €22 earlier in the morning.

Oh has a load of steel on a trailer here for nearly 2 weeks it has to be lifted off on a building site in Dublin with a crane. So I am being guided by if he's allowed to unload if the boats will be going ....must be a big backlog of calves on farm now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭jaymla627

whelan2 wrote: »
    Oh has a load of steel on a trailer here for nearly 2 weeks it has to be lifted off on a building site in Dublin with a crane. So I am being guided by if he's allowed to unload if the boats will be going ....must be a big backlog of calves on farm now

Fr bulls will be unsaleable the next 3 weeks unless their very well done and 3 weeks plus, shouldn't come as any bit of a shock to lads was always going to happen they can either hold on to them our basically give them away if buyers can even be found

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Fr bulls will be unsaleable the next 3 weeks unless their very well done and 3 weeks plus, shouldn't come as any bit of a shock to lads was always going to happen they can either hold on to them our basically give them away if buyers can even be found

I'm testing next week will test young calves and hold onto them for a few weeks I think. I had good fr bull calves in mart last week and got 10 euro for them. Alot of calves got no bid. I wasn't bringing them home

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

How are HEX calves selling ?

_Brian wrote: »
    How are HEX calves selling ?

Dont think there was any in Ardee last week

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I heard that a few marts will not accept JEX calves for sale as they are failing get s bid.

Slava Ukrainii

I heard that a few marts will not accept JEX calves for sale as they are failing get s bid.

Fr not getting bids too.

Fr not getting bids too.

Ys but lads will still take them away unless they are badly done

Slava Ukrainii

I'm testing next week will test young calves and hold onto them for a few weeks I think. I had good fr bull calves in mart last week and got 10 euro for them. Alot of calves got no bid. I wasn't bringing them home

Put back breeding here 3 weeks so only getting into calving now, has been a godsend with the way the spring is turning out, have a buyer for all my calves too but he cant take them till after paddy's day at a minimum of two weeks old so its working out well

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You can’t blame lads not buying them or the marts not wanting to clog the place up with calves that won’t sell. having 70-80 jex calves on a busy mart day just takes up space and slows down the sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,720 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

At those prices, you might be shuffling into ringside yourself. :rolleyes:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Saw some BB x JEX calves
    Would they be good heifers to rare, would they stay small?

At those prices, you might be shuffling into ringside yourself. :rolleyes:

Not until lads stop bringing them to stores at that stage For bull's 6 weeks old will be free and 100euro with them if the boats stop

Slava Ukrainii

Saw some BB x JEX calves
    Would they be good heifers to rare, would they stay small?

Depends on cow, if your talking a 450 kgs mature cow the resulting calf will be small enough when it matures of a 550 kgs mature cow it will be perfect, often cross the jex to bb here and they come into lovely animals

Boat going at the weekend. Calves to be over 50 kg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Boat going at the weekend. Calves to be over 50 kg

55kg is the minimum here...sent off 3 sets of twins last week, NrxBB, €18 for the 6 of them. He wouldn’t take them until over 55kg, so they were over a month old.
    Each set of twins were m/f calves.

Crucified with twins with these last three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Have a tidy BB off a ho/fr cow, what's he worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Timmaay wrote: »
    Have a tidy BB off a ho/fr cow, what's he worth?

If you were to describe a springing heifer down here is tidy twud be a polite way of saying small lol. BB can depend on the day really. Could be 150 to 350 age dependant but dunno in today's market

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Was up country on a factory run earlier called into Nenagh mart for grub on way home. A lot of young light fr bulls failing to get a bid. Good hex bull to 290 with most around 240/250 back to 200.

Saw a couple of plainish yearling bulls in the weanling ring and there-a certainly a twist in them friesian bull calves at to days prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭stanflt

Sold 8 in Carnaross yesterday- avg 18€ after commission

3 weeks ago one Fresian bull calf was making the same money

• Advertisement

orm0nd wrote: »
    Was up country on a factory run earlier called into Nenagh mart for grub on way home. A lot of young light fr bulls failing to get a bid. Good hex bull to 290 with most around 240/250 back to 200.

Saw a couple of plainish yearling bulls in the weanling ring and there-a certainly a twist in them friesian bull calves at to days prices.

Says he who sells FR calves, trying to talk up the market

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement