Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

Limerick74 wrote: »
    Very strange request.
    Indeed it is. I love the way this is worded:
    As requested by An Bord Pleanála, the further information response notice which was advertised on the 30th September 2019 has now been re-advertised in the same newspapers in which the the original notice was published. This is a re-advertisement of the 20th September 2019 notice and relates to the exact same further information response that was referred to in that notice.
    It reads like the project are pissed off at ABP.

You'd wonder what is the reason behind ABP requesting this. Legal? Political?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

serfboard wrote: »

It's now a full 14 months since this was submitted to ABP and there hasn't been a date published for the oral hearing yet.

It's no surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

serfboard wrote: »

Ya legal I reckon, they must have missed one of the papers that the original notice was published in?
    the further information response notice which was advertised on the 30th September 2019 has now been re-advertised in the same newspapers in which the the original notice was published.

Its a bit sloppy if this occurred - might be an INTERNAL dig rather than at the ABP. :D

Ya legal I reckon, they must have missed one of the papers that the original notice was published in?
    List of papers (and ads)
    http://www.pleanala.ie/publicaccess/ABP-302848-18%20-%20FI%20Response/

• Registered Users Posts: 48 remfan

Annual Average Daily Traffic (AADT) counts for ten arteries into the city reveal that traffic volumes have spiked by over 6% in the decade to the end of 2018.

https://connachttribune.ie/traffic-clogs-up-citys-main-arteries-143/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Project Ireland 2040 documents published today:
    The scheme was submitted for planning in Q4 2018 and a response to a request for further information was submitted in August 2019. A date for an oral planing hearing is awaited with construction due to commence in Q1 2022, subject to approval.

This is ferociously ambitious but fair play if they can manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Would mean tendering in exactly one year from now. Doesn't look likely when the "queue" for the inevitable high court challenge will be longer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

marno21 wrote: »
    Project Ireland 2040 documents published today:

This is ferociously ambitious but fair play if they can manage it.

It's a hopelessly optimistic "guestimate" I really don't understand why, no credibility which doesn't serve them well.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

Oral Hearing starts Tuesday 18th February in G Hotel.

http://www.n6galwaycity.ie/phase-4/bulletin-23-update-15012020/

• Advertisement

Limerick74 wrote: »
    Oral Hearing starts Tuesday 18th February in G Hotel.

http://www.n6galwaycity.ie/phase-4/bulletin-23-update-15012020/

Running til April 3rd.

Seven week oral hearing

marno21 wrote: »
    Running til April 3rd.

Seven week oral hearing

Is that enough?

Why two cases here? For ease of ABP administration?
    http://www.pleanala.ie/lists/oralhearings.htm

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/302885.htm
    is for the National Roads Project Office

Second one for
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/302848.htm
    the Galway Councils

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

Is that enough?

Why two cases here? For ease of ABP administration?
    http://www.pleanala.ie/lists/oralhearings.htm

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/302885.htm
    is for the National Roads Project Office

Second one for
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/302848.htm
    the Galway Councils

7 weeks is ridiculously long!

Always two cases one for the Road and EIA approval and the other one for the CPO approval. Nearly always done concurrently though. The project office are agents I'd say, Galway Co Co are the lead authority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Foe years I've wished for this. I get caught daily in it,

But I'm now at the place that light rail from spiddal to loughrea and our to claregalway or tuam is a much better investment.

gally74 wrote: »
    Foe years I've wished for this. I get caught daily in it,

But I'm now at the place that light rail from spiddal to loughrea and our to claregalway or tuam is a much better investment.

Jesus wept!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Ruhanna

remfan wrote: »
    Annual Average Daily Traffic (AADT) counts for ten arteries into the city reveal that traffic volumes have spiked by over 6% in the decade to the end of 2018.

https://connachttribune.ie/traffic-clogs-up-citys-main-arteries-143/

Commuters driving into the city, not trying to bypass it.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/oral-hearing-into-plans-for-600m-galway-ring-road-1.4165752

Oral hearing into plans for €600m Galway ring road
    More than 300 objections have been lodged with An Bord Pleanála in connection with a proposed €600 million ring road around Galway city which planners say is essential to ease chronic traffic congestion in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

From The Irish Independent:
    It severs the Boston Scientific lands, significantly restricting future expansion and causing a serious adverse impact to a major national employer and foreign direct investor
    Boston Scientific employs 3,700 people in Galway and 5,000 in Ireland in total.

Besides salaries, it says it is worth €100m annually to the Irish economy through the purchase of goods and services.

It is one of several large employers who will go before the hearing
    Galway Racecourse fears it will have to cancel events, including its signature summer racing festival, during rock-blasting and construction of the ring road, a section of which will run through a tunnel beneath its stables.

Stables will have to be moved permanently, and while Galway Racecourse is open to the developer making this provision, Brooks Timber and Building Supplies says it appears it is their land that is to be compulsorily purchased to make way for the stables.

In their submission, representatives for Brooks say the move appears calculated to avoid a claim by a "potentially powerful objector".
    Some residents, distressed at the prospect of losing their homes, will tell the hearing that the route has been chosen to avoid damage to wildlife, putting concerns for animals above those of humans.
    The more you look at this, the more you come to the conclusion that either this will either never happen, or be at least a decade or more until it is built.

Meaning that Galway can no longer put off implementing improved public transport until "after the Ring Road is completed".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Watched some interviews with those whose houses would be knocked with the construction of the road on 6.01 news this eve.

Have to say they make me want this road even more. "Three generations of my family lived here", "there's nowhere we could move even if we wanted to".

Utter horsedoo, the sort of people who vote FF or FG due to family traditions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Watched some interviews with those whose houses would be knocked with the construction of the road on 6.01 news this eve.

Have to say they make me want this road even more. "Three generations of my family lived here", "there's nowhere we could move even if we wanted to".

That is a bit unfair.

I would react like that if my home was likely to be CPOed. To those affected, it is a tragic event. They lose their home, their neighbours, and perhaps friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

In fairness I dont think you can blame anyone who falls foul of a CPO for being annoyed. Its for the common good and everything but its still not a nice thing for anyone to have to go through.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Yes, because people upset about being forced to leave their lifelong homes only vote FF or FG. It's so obvious, thanks for pointing it out.

You're not doing yourself any favours above. Being so obnoxious would almost make it worthwhile to see the road rejected by ABP, and your reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

Looking at the drawings there are some very messy junctions.

I wonder was grade separating the existing junctions ever considered?

This coupled with a new road/bridge between the Kirwan roundabout and N59 at Dangan would have freed up a lot of the traffic problems.

The more you look at Galway, the more you wonder who was in charge of the planning dept. It’s like 1 mistake after another

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Reassuringly fact based and objective reporting by Teresa Mannion on the 9 o'clock news there. Plenty of emphasis on how bad the current traffic situation is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭prunudo

At least the people who get cpo'd will get paid for their lose, its those that are outside the cpo zone but will have to continue living close a new road and get nothing for their troubles I feel bad for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I wonder if this gets the cam, will even 10% of the money be reallocated to public transport? Galway is pretty small and can have a very reliable bus and bike based transport system for only tens of millions.

MOD: Troll banned. Thread reopened.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I would see many of the people being CPOd as victims of a crap planning system that results in sprawling housing being built anywhere there is a field for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know what distance are the two tunnels on the route? And what are they going underneath, is there something too expensive to CPO?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement