Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"None of our children on the list are getting these houses"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dwmcdos

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    How much should people be earning, in order to gain a full vote?

€100k+ p/a, they should also be White, Male, a property owner and over the age of 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,555 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

10 years should be enough time to get your foot on the work ladder after returning to education and try get off state dependency. Instead it seems to be treated as some sort of target, a life goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

its their lifestyle. they'd no more consider providing their own housing than they'd consider holding off on having children until they were financially independent.

Being poor is their lifestyle right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

_Brian wrote: »
    We need to call these people out, they see need based on skin colour and accent.

RACIST! How hilarious, as usual ireland is just decades behind europe, with most issues and it certaily is with this one! This is going to start escalating, simply not enough resources to keep every one happy...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

smurgen wrote: »
    Being poor is their lifestyle right.
    plenty of poor people dont sign on the housing list at 18. plenty of poor people dont have multiple children without the means to raise them. poverty is a circumstance. scrounging is a lifestyle. the circumstance can be overcome. the lifestyle is a choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Idbatterim wrote: »
    RACIST! How hilarious, as usual ireland is just decades behind europe, with most issues and it certaily is with this one! This is going to start escalating, simply not enough resources to keep every one happy...

Maybe if the lazy turds worked there would be resources for everyone.

I have zero empathy for people who won’t work, won’t educate themselves and expect free money and free housing. **** them,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

10 years should be enough time to get your foot on the work ladder after returning to education and try get off state dependency. Instead it seems to be treated as some sort of target, a life goal.

You have an unplanned child? Father is gone? Okay, go to night school, get an education and/or work part time until you get out of the ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Westwood wrote: »
    Brand new build here in Ratoath co Meath 400 houses, 10% given to foreign nationals as council houses, not 1 Irish family, these houses start at 310k-500k, call it what you like racism or whatever but it's sickening to the stomach

Link, can you prove that, most new builds in Fingal will have up to 30% social housing, they cant all be non nationals getting the 30% now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,731 ✭✭✭✭zell12

RonanG86 wrote: »
    7 and a half years and 859 people are ahead of her? I know the housing list is really long in some parts of Dublin, but seems far-fetched.
    Social housing list in Galway is 16 years long.
    No transparency, officials not open to public scrutiny, list of scandals surrounding housing and allocations.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭mcgragger

Harika wrote: »
    Who should be given council houses: People who need them most or people who feel entitled to them?

Everyone needs a house. Its a basic need isnt it....Shelter.

So the questions must run into more complex lines of inquiry.

Who is more entitled?

The Irish person ? Just because they are Irish? The Africans as they are an ethnic minority?

Should a family from Nigeria be given a house in Dublin 15 or should a jobless local single mother on benefits be given a house in Dublin 15?

Neither have contributed to the state where as one of them has "taken" from the state since she got on the benefit train and the other will probably commence the journey on the benefit train when they get here.

The question of social housing is a complex one - and its getting harder due to the level of immigration and foreign families applying for housing.

I know couples renting at mad money, both with Jobs. Doing the right thing but they cant afford a house. Should they not get a house? Should they be given a chance of a normal life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

mcgragger wrote: »

Who is more entitled?

The Irish person ? Just because they are Irish? The Africans as they are an ethnic minority?

Should a family from Nigeria be given a house in Dublin 15 or should a jobless local single mother on benefits be given a house in Dublin 15?

Neither have contributed to the state where as one of them has "taken" from the state since she got on the benefit train and the other will probably commence the journey on the benefit train when they get here.

The question of social housing is a complex one - and its getting harder due to the level of immigration and foreign families applying for housing.

I know couples renting at mad money, both with Jobs. Doing the right thing but they cant afford a house. Should they not get a house? Should they be given a chance of a normal life?

SF say houses free for all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

A couple of years ago I used to work for a housing authority and I have to say that none of the things they said surprised me at all, I heard it all before.

Now in my experience while most people on the waiting list were perfectly fine, some of them did behave appalling and can be very abusive towards staff and to be honest it wouldn't surprise me if those protesting and holding up construction in Mulhuddart are not the most pleasant people to deal with.

It's very hard to believe anything they say either because unfortunately they tell lies by the bucket full to improve their chances of getting the houses they're 'entitled' to.

You'll hear very little mention of college or work ambitions from the protesters but plenty of medicial complaints (which are all the council's fault of course) which result in them needing a house immeditaely.

I would advise anybody seeking a career in a housing authority to study medicine in college because you'll spend most of your day discussing all sorts of diseases, conditions and phobias.

Finally there's nothing wrong with social housing, in fact it's essential, but unfortunately there is a limited supply and the lists are growing so naturally there is a long wait. Now while a lot of people will use this time constructively others prefer to go out protesting and actually holding up the delivery of houses, which is quite ironic really considering they're complaining about the lack of houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Who is more entitled?

Fairly complex enquiry alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,555 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You have an unplanned child?

Is availability of contraception an issue?

Do they have to have sex?

Or does having a child enhance your position on the welfare ladder?

There are a lot of reasons to believe there are many "unplanned" pregnancies in Ireland that are not so unplanned due to the nature of our welfare system.

I'm critical more of the system though than the individuals themselves who are merely taking advantage of what is available to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Who is more entitled?

This situation makes me sick the working class have been stabbed in the back.

A low wage work force has been imported from Poland and surrounding nations and now you can include Brazil in that which has slashed working class wages this is a fact.

Africans are being imported in mass and given free everything and areas are becoming no go with African gangs we had a five hour riot at the Red Cow on new years with them suppressed by the media.

These homes should be going to Irish WORKING people.

That hatred of the working class here makes me sick.
    These African gangs are not going to pay you pension.

Posing facts like that here is like walking on eggshells shill posters wait to attack and mods are ready to ban if you answer them back.

SF say houses free for all....

Ah F**K it anyway - all those years paying a mortgage down the spout

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Anecdotal stories and protests from less than a dozen people where you're told that all the houses around them are speaking foreign are basically meaningless.

To do a complete analysis to see is "all the houses are going to brown people" an actual problem, you'd need to see every Social Housing Application in the area and do an assessment on them under the Scheme of Letting Priorities yourself. (Just seeing the points for everyone wouldn't be good enough, cos I'm sure some people would insist that all the foreigners had points added on that they didn't deserve because the Councils are part of the leftwing conspiracy to eliminate the white race). Good luck getting those, cos I don't think you'd be entitled to them even with the names removed. And I hope you've a lot of free time.

You could get some indication by looking at things like:

1) Unemployment among the immigrant population vs. the population generally.
    2) % of Social Housing applicants that are immigrants vs. the % of the population that are immigrants.
    3) % of allocations to immigrants vs. the % of applicants that are immigrants, and the % of the population that are immigrants.

But even that wouldn't tell you the complete story.

_Brian wrote: »
    Maybe if the lazy turds worked there would be resources for everyone.

I have zero empathy for people who won’t work, won’t educate themselves and expect free money and free housing. **** them,

they create a povery trap, its idiocy. oh here, have a few house, no stress, no job if you dont want one. Targetted at people who 's families would only know this lifestyle, its the system that is the problem. then on the other hand, they make it near impossible for many workers, what an unimaginalbe farce!

Ah F**K it anyway - all those years paying a mortgage down the spout

many working people just stopped paying their mortgage during the recession and got to stay in their house! Being the "good citizen" here, gets you nowhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

A very interesting discussion point, is owning a home a normal life? Or can you have a normal life by renting a home? In Ireland it seems like you need to own, while in parts of Europe renting is quiet normal, where you even have a path following. First you have a shared Appartment, then a rented home in town, with children you need more space and move to the outskirts, the kids grow up and you move further out into the green, and when you are old you downsize closer to ammentities.
    For the couple it often means a trade-off if you want to sacrifice temporary life standard to get it back later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Drove by the "protest" earlier. Bunch of skangers looking for a free gaf.

Imagine having to leave "your area" to get a house.

I wouldnt anyone of them have ever heard of the word commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

The idea of getting out of bed at 6 in the morning, commuting 3 hours a day to work and back, scrimping and saving for a mortgage, only going out once or twice a month, not having children until you can afford to support them, would be so alien to these people that their mouths would hit the floor if you even suggested it as a possible option to improve their housing situation. We are now into the 3rd or even 4th generation of social welfare lifers and actually providing for your own housing needs would be seen as a weird thing that only 'da rich' and 'poshies' would do.

And if you dared to ask if it was wise to have multiple children at a young age when in an already precarious housing situation, or wondered where were the fathers and what they were doing to support their kids, you would be met with the full "how dare you judge me' torrent of abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

You have an unplanned child? Father is gone? Okay, go to night school, get an education and/or work part time until you get out of the ditch.

I've been working full time since my childs father left. Gained another qualification, and did multiple evening courses along the way. After years of paying childcare and rent from one wage, my savings for a deposit are laughable. And chances of getting mortgage approval are slim anyway. I still technically qualify for social housing based on my current wage.

So I'm not sure how they will get out of the ditch by doing a bit of part time work and night school? Not defending them in the slightest btw, just genuinely don't see how they will be self sufficient from doing so, when a person with multiple third level qualifications and years of professional experience is no better off.

I dont know what the solution is, not claiming to, just the system right now is obviously broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

So 2 sisters with 4 kids between them are sharing one room in her parents 3 bed house. 10 people in the house total, gonna assume one of those rooms is taken by the parents, who is the other 2 in the last room.

Hopefully it my be a set of sons or other daughters who can now look at their sisters example and think, “ I gotta make sure I don’t end up like them.”

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    many working people just stopped paying their mortgage during the recession and got to stay in their house! Being the "good citizen" here, gets you nowhere...

It was a point that was made by the banks themselves.

Im not sure many just decided not to pay. Obviously some did but the vast majority didnt.

We had developers were let walk from hundreds of millions if debt and they are back in business now living the high life.

Its generally the middle income man 50-80k gets ripped off.

neonsofa wrote: »
    I've been working full time since my childs father left. Gained another qualification, and did multiple evening courses along the way. After years of paying childcare and rent from one wage, my savings for a deposit are laughable. And chances of getting mortgage approval are slim anyway. I still technically qualify for social housing based on my current wage.

So I'm not sure how they will get out of the ditch by doing a bit of part time work and night school? Not defending them in the slightest btw, just genuinely don't see how they will be self sufficient from doing so, when a person with multiple third level qualifications and years of professional experience is no better off.

I dont know what the solution is, not claiming to, just the system right now is obviously broken.

Not at all. In most cases the girls will be bred asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Idiots -

A whole 5 years on the list shocked imagine in sdcc it's a 12 year wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Drove by the "protest" earlier. Bunch of skangers looking for a free gaf.

Imagine having to leave "your area" to get a house.

I wouldnt anyone of them have ever heard of the word commute.

The thing is most of the time people are housed in their own area anyway because most housing applications ask you to state your areas of preference and councils do their best to accommodate people so they don't even have to commute.

It may sound ridiculous but a lot of the time these people expect a house right beside their parents house (handy to dump the kids when they're heading out).

I seen somebody refuse a house on the grounds that it was 'too far away from the parents house'.......it was 1km away!!

Now in a sane world that person should lose all their years and have to re-apply but that didn't happen. They caused so much trouble that management couldn't handle it anymore and they got their years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I was just thinking this. Ten years ago I had just started college and now im looking at getting a mortgage at the end of this year.

I don't have all the answers to this problem but something has to change. If you can't afford to buy or rent your own house then you can't afford to have a family. I'm sorry but that's just how it is. It's not fair on the rest of us to have to foot the bill for people who can't make responsible decisions. There is a deeply ingrained sense of entitlement now that's going be hard to root out.

• Advertisement

A very interesting discussion point, is owning a home a normal life? Or can you have a normal life by renting a home? In Ireland it seems like you need to own, while in parts of Europe renting is quiet normal, where you even have a path following. First you have a shared Appartment, then a rented home in town, with children you need more space and move to the outskirts, the kids grow up and you move further out into the green, and when you are old you downsize closer to ammentities.
    For the couple it often means a trade-off if you want to sacrifice temporary life standard to get it back later.

Alot of Europeans rent for life but they are given the option to rent the same place for life. My aunt lives in Frankfurt and rents. She is a retired nurse and her husband a retired police man and they have rented the same place for 40 years. Its government owned apartments but they pay a decent rent.

For me here I was renting with a bunch of lads, then just 3 of us, then with my future wife then eventually a mortgage in a completely different area to where I grew up. It didnt happen overnight but the basic economics for me dont work with lifetime rents. Why rent for all those years when you can buy and leave something for your kids?

I suppose the old argument was that buying is dearer but I was paying 1200 a month in rent for a house then we got a mortgage and moved into a bigger and better house in a much nicer area and my mortgage was 700 a month. Figure that one out

Advertisement