Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"None of our children on the list are getting these houses"

Options
  • 16-02-2020 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,555 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting article in the IT.

At first glance you think on reading the title this is a racism thing or something but when you read the article deeply it actually becomes much more important and more worrying for other reasons.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/house-the-irish-first-group-halts-building-work-on-65-social-homes-in-west-dublin-1.4174252

“We watch these houses being built, and none of our children on the list are getting them,” said one woman in her 50s, who did not want to be identified. “They can be 10, 12 years on the list, and they’re going nowhere. There’s no explanation as to why.”

Celine Corish (27) said she is living with her sons aged nine and five in her mother’s three-bedroom house with 10 other people.

“There’s one bathroom. I share a bedroom with my sister, her two kids and my two kids. There’s damp all over the walls and ceiling. We got the council out and they said the damp is because it’s so over-crowded. I’m 7½ years on the list, number 860.” She said she has been told she will be waiting seven to 10 more years to be housed.

Yeh should read the rest which is in the same vein.

The entitlement is strong in this article.

No mention of going to college, getting a job, renting a place, getting a mortgage.

They mention the furiners though.

They want the houses for their adult children who expect to be housed. It's a cradle to grave outlook of how the state will look after them.

It's quite worrying really as to where our peculiar brand of welfare state is taking society.

Somebody is paying the bill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

If don't have your own place to live or can't provide them with the living conditions you'd like then why have kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

At first glance you think on reading the title this is a racism thing or something but when you read the article deeply it actually becomes much more important and more worrying for other reasons.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/house-the-irish-first-group-halts-building-work-on-65-social-homes-in-west-dublin-1.4174252

No mention of going to college, getting a job, renting a place, getting a mortgage.

They want the houses for their adult children who expect to be housed. It's a cradle to grave outlook of how the state will look after them.

It's quite worrying really as to where our peculiar brand of welfare state is taking society.

By furriners they mean furriners outside the area, they just want more houses to go to local people, Africans , Asians etc as well. I think they do have a point of sorts but until there is enough of a supply it'll be council lists that will decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I live in the area and I'm embarrassed for them. It's a tiny group of about 8 people who are involved. They have shut the site down. I can't understand why it's allowed continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

meh, government offer a free housing and people wonder why people would hold out for it? LOL!

whats the altertnative? try save a deposit, by existing for years, living at home or in a kip, then paying a marginal tax rate of FIFTY percent?

is_that_so wrote: »
    By furriners they mean furriners outside the area, they just want more houses to go to local people, Africans , Asians etc as well. I think they do have a point of sorts but until there is enough of a supply it'll be council lists that will decide.

No they want the houses to go to the people living in the area ie adults living with their parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

eviltwin wrote: »
    No they want the houses to go to the people living in the area ie adults living with their parents.
    Read

all

the

way

through

the

article!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

If don't have your own place to live or can't provide them with the living conditions you'd like then why have kids?

So if your kids already exist, give them back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Where did I say that?

Just asking a genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Ultra late term abortion ;)

is_that_so wrote: »
    Read

all

the

way

through

the

article!

That might be the acceptable version they have given the press but they are a bit more honest about their wishes in person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭RonanG86

7 and a half years and 859 people are ahead of her? I know the housing list is really long in some parts of Dublin, but seems far-fetched.

Wouldn't surprise me if she forgot to complete her re-assessment, or didn't receive it because she moved without telling the Council, and lost her waiting points.

Also quite a lot of Councils don't actually directly number you anymore because of different areas, different house requirements and people on the list losing / gaining points as their circumstances change.
    I live in the area and I'm embarrassed for them. It's a tiny group of about 8 people who are involved. They have shut the site down. I can't understand why it's allowed continue.

There was another group of only 15 people a few weeks ago that got national coverage from RTE Radio. And yet anti-immigration groups will insist that you're 'not allowed' talk about such issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

PEACEFUL PROTEST!!

banie01 wrote:
    Ultra late term abortion

Just drop them back to the hospital they came from, at any age, I can't see the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

Look,teenage pregnancy happens, if that happens and you have no place to stay maybe hold back or use contraception. What's missing in the story is the whereabouts of the father(s) . The social system is there for people in a hole, not people in a hole who dig themselves in deeper every day.
    Btw a common theme in those stories are people in their 20s already 10 years on the housing list, like they never even tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It’s a fairly sad existence...

...to constantly seek out stuff like this so you can rush and post it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Harika wrote: »
    Btw a common theme in those stories are people in their 20s already 10 years on the housing list, like they never even tried.
    its their lifestyle. they'd no more consider providing their own housing than they'd consider holding off on having children until they were financially independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Brand new build here in Ratoath co Meath 400 houses, 10% given to foreign nationals as council houses, not 1 Irish family, these houses start at 310k-500k, call it what you like racism or whatever but it's sickening to the stomach

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Growing numbers and growing numbers of politicians promising everything free if you just vote them into power.

I think you should have 2-3 years employment stamps to be entitled to vote, or maybe give them a “half vote”

They intentionally contribute nothing to the state, scrounge for their whole lifetime, and yet we give them a say on how the state is ran. That’s not democracy, it’s stupidity

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

Westwood wrote: »
    Brand new build here in Ratoath co Meath 400 houses, 10% given to foreign nationals as council houses, not 1 Irish family, these houses start at 310k-500k, call it what you like racism or whatever but it's sickening to the stomach

As a matter of interest who did you vote for in the recent election?

_Brian wrote:
    They intentionally contribute nothing to the state, scrounge for their whole lifetime, and yet we give them a say on how the state is ran. That’s not democracy, it’s stupidity

How much should people be earning, in order to gain a full vote?

• Advertisement

AFAIK, you have to have been employed for 52 continuous weeks in Ireland to be entitled to Social Housing Support at some point in the past few years (think it's 5) if you're non-EU.

Dunno about if you are EU though. I'd imagine said stipulation does not exist because of the free movement principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭mcgragger

I had to get a job and work my bollox off to pay for the one I am in and keep working to pay the mortgage.

And before people start jumping up and down I am from that area. It was my lifes mission to get out of it without a handout.

Yeah, someone hasn't heard of the concept of universal sufferage. How about we go back to only rich, male, Protestant Landlords voting. Bring back the 18th century!

Who should be given council houses: People who need them most or people who feel entitled to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

The council giving housing to the most in need then it goes down the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I read the entire article and not a father in sight. It's a whole multi-generational subculture where women keep having kids while on waiting list and fathers just disappear.
    What we do know is the list for the girls from around here has not dropped, and non-national families are moving in. We are tired of seeing the girls move out of the area, away from their family supports.

Like other entitlements, 2 years Prsi employment contributions would be a good start and not linked to income.

RonanG86 wrote: »
    AFAIK, you have to have been employed for 52 continuous weeks in Ireland to be entitled to Social Housing Support at some point in the past few years (think it's 5) if you're non-EU.

Dunno about if you are EU though. I'd imagine said stipulation does not exist because of the free movement principle.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/local_authority_and_social_housing/applying_for_local_authority_housing.html

All you need is to be in need.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

strandroad wrote: »
    I read the entire article and not a father in sight. It's a whole multi-generational subculture where women keep having kids while on waiting list and fathers just disappear.

I think they also dont mention fathers as its more of a pity story then.

• Advertisement

The council giving housing to the most in need then it goes down the list.

We need to call these people out, they see need based on skin colour and accent.

Advertisement