Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caroline Flack found dead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

NIMAN wrote: »

This is AH, its full of crass, off the cuff and flippant remarks.

Not in death threads for fuck sake. Don't post here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

S.G.M. wrote: »
    And if you think that gives you license to make an insensitive remark about a woman who just committed suicide then you may want to re-evaluate some things

What's the point of the thread then?

It is after hours and why should we all be bound by your moral compass?

There needs to be an RIP section for stuff like this imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Whatever she was like as a person, she was someone's daughter, and no parent should have to bury their child.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

It’s very sad that a 40 year old has lost their life, however I disagree with people on here (and in their droves on Twitter) blaming the press for “bullying” her. She did something horrific, and it was widely reported. It wasn’t a “minor indiscretion”; she viciously attacked her partner. It’s a huge shame that she couldn’t see any other way out but I disagree that the press should be blamed.

And as much as I hate to say it, I do think if genders were reversed the reaction would be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Whatever she was like as a person, she was someone's daughter, and no parent should have to bury their child.

The media didn't kill her. She killed herself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

It is after hours and why should we all be bound by your moral compass?

Because if you need a moral compass to point that posting crass comments about someone who committed suicide literally minutes after the news breaks is a ****ty thing to do, you may not be on the right site.

After hours may be a little "wild" but it isn't 4chan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

She wasn't convicted of anything. Not saying it didn't happen, just pointing out it was an alleged assault. She was due back in court next month.

Really yeah? And what would the reaction be if it was a
    male instead? Sorry but I’m not buying the innocent until trial bull**** because plenty of men have been excoriated in public forums before that even happens, but now it’s a female we have to deflect and feel sorry? Not happening, equality etc etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,689 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

There needs to be an RIP section for stuff like this imo.

There is

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1360

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

She wasn't convicted of anything.

In fairness, would you say the same for Jimmy saville?

The media didn't kill her. She killed herself
    Did you mean to quote me? I didn't suggest otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That's shocking news. I dont watch Love Island but I remember Caroline from The x factor when she co hosted with Olly Murs. She was a talented presenter. Very sad her life has ended like this. May she Rest In Peace.

She was shockingly bad at that, I think that might have been where her career started to take a dip.
    She was bag of nerves on that, they made the mess up with the verdict one week and she got worse as it went on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

By all accounts she was looking at a criminal conviction but it's still terribly sad that she chose to go like that. She was talented and entertaining in her work, and not beyond rehabilitation as a person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

It’s very sad that a 40 year old has lost their life, however I disagree with people on here (and in their droves on Twitter) blaming the press for “bullying” her. She did something horrific, and it was widely reported. It wasn’t a “minor indiscretion”; she viciously attacked her partner. It’s a huge shame that she couldn’t see any other way out but I disagree that the press should be blamed.

And as much as I hate to say it, I do think if genders were reversed the reaction would be different.

I do agree with all of the above, but the court case was yet to come, and the bf didn’t want to press charges so it seems odd I doubt she’d have served time, I’d imagine the problems run deeper

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Really yeah? And what would the reaction be if it was a
    male instead? Sorry but I’m not buying the innocent until trial bull**** because plenty of men have been excoriated in public forums before that even happens, but now it’s a female we have to deflect and feel sorry? Not happening, equality etc etc

I'm really not interested in feeding into this gender war BS. I was just pointing out a fact, not taking a stance either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Another death caused by media scum

Ikozma wrote: »
    Another death caused by media scum

Booo hoo, maybe the scum is not the media at all here? Just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I was going to post similar tbh.

If a Male was violently abusive to their sleeping partner and then killed themselves before trial, one can make a fairly good guess at them being labelled a coward, narcissistic or not wanting their carefully constructed world shown up...

This isn't a thread to be laying blame and tbh many people reading this thread and the outpouring of grief on social media are likely in a dark place.

Seeing someone lionised after death, when they indeed all of us are far from perfect is a dangerous thing.

Far too many troubled people take their life and don't seek help.

If anyone, anyone at all feels troubled by the demon of suicide or depression.

Reach out, the Samaritans are great, as are Pieta House.
    Criticism and anger happens, don't let that take away your own agency...
    Seek help.

R.I.P Caroline, and to those affected by her loss don't glamourise it please.

Ah it's obviously awful for her parents that their daughter killed herself. The media didn't kill her, her behaviour was atrocious, but no need for the "boo hoo" stuff when she has a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Very sad news and again so young.

It doesn't matter who you are, whether rich and famous or poor and unknown, maybe just your average person. No one knows what is going on in their head or how they are feeling, a lot of the time people just keep it to themselves.

Whatever she may or may not have done is irrelevant in that this is a tragedy for her family, friends, colleagues and suicide is a tragedy for society every time it happens.
    It is just so sad when people mistakenly think this is the only way out, they can't help it and it can be invisible to the people who matter in a person's life who is suffering like this.
    It's just terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭tastyt

Of course the media arent totally to blame , they obviously didnt physically kill her.

But the UK tabloids are the worst type of parasites. A totally different league. They will hound people and week after week, month after month try to drag them down and if possible get a photo of them at their most vulnerable. They have no limits and they think they can just abuse and push people until they crack, unfortunately this is the ultimate price.

Yes, she did a horrible thing , and yes it was rightly reported in the media. It was going through the proper channels and she was due in court.

But thats not good enough for the scum, they needed more entertainment from her obvious personal issues and now they've got their Sunday morning headlines.

Anyone defending the gutter tabloids on this one has some warped morals of whats okay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Did you mean to quote me? I didn't suggest otherwise.

Nope donno what happened there 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

strandroad wrote: »
    By all accounts she was looking at a criminal conviction but it's still terribly sad that she chose to go like that. She was talented and entertaining in her work, and not beyond rehabilitation as a person.

It's a cliché in these circumstances but she took a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Unfortunately lots of people do the same and if only they could see there is way out if everything and things get better.

Condolences to her family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I do agree with all of the above, but the court case was yet to come, and the bf didn’t want to press charges so it seems odd I doubt she’d have served time, I’d imagine the problems run deeper

The aggrieved party often doesn’t want to. That’s nothing new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

“Boohoo”, stay classy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Cina wrote: »
    Man why don't you cop the f*ck on? Someone just committed suicide and you're almost trying to justify it as a good thing and bring anti feminist nonsense into it. It's pathetic.

♫ Here he comes to save the daaaay!! ♫

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Im guessing the press will subtlety blame the boyfriend

SeaFields wrote: »
    It's a cliché in these circumstances but she took a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Unfortunately lots of people do the same and if only they could see there is way out if everything and things get better.

Condolences to her family and friends.

Losing her tv career and being up for trial is a bit more than a temporary problem to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭munster87

Losing her tv career and being up for trial is a bit more than a temporary problem to be fair.

Of course they were only temporary problems

Dots1982 wrote: »
    “Boohoo”, stay classy

No different to the comments here if it was a fella at the centre of a domestic abuse situation. So **** off :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I have the upmost sympathy for anyone suffering a mental illness especially if it leads them to this but can we please try to think logically about this?

First of all can we stop with blaming the press - she and she alone took the decision to do what she did. No one else. She was obviously suffering but there has to have been more to it than being hounded by the press which by all accounts she brought on herself.

Secondly why is everyone so determined to ignore the fact that she viciously assaulted her boyfriend? If this was man we were talking about everyone would be saying good riddance.

You can’t have one reaction for one and a different one for the other.

Advertisement