Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ciara - Reports/Chat/Non Technical

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Yep same here down in cork, some strong gusts all day and bitterly cold ones at that. When the showers came it got very gusty. There was some periods in the afternoon when the sun came out and you felt some warmth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

MJohnston wrote: »
    In fairness, it's not elitist. The big weather event threads usually become a rapid fire cauldron of "will my flight be cancelled?", "this is a non-event here in my mum's basement", "Met Eireann should be fired into the sun for over/underhyping this one", along with joke posts and just general chat.

If you're looking to browse some actual technical charts and see some expert discussion of them, there becomes nowhere to go to do this! And that's a bit of a kick in the teeth to the hard-working mods and posters who populate this forum in the off-seasons.

If boards was a more technically capable platform, perhaps with the ability to thread conversations and "highlight" particularly useful posts, maybe we could get away with single threads, but otherwise, I'd like to keep seeing technical discussion threads.

You will always get stupid posts to be fair.

Problem is to be fair most just post up a graph get 10 or so likes and very little expert discussion about it.
    To be honest only Mt has the credentials to be called an expert.
    The rest are excellent amateur enthusiasts.
    Also having the two treads didn't really work for one reason, the big posters who do post technical information did not have there none technical posts removed.
    Just because someone does not post a graph or a run from s model out does not mean they do not add or have something to add to the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

decent covering here today, 2 to 3 inches, roads now clear but still plenty in the fields etc - newry/banbridge, co.down

index.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Snow on the cars here nio in north Dub. Looks like I missed a few flakes.

I like flakes :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

loughside wrote: »
    decent covering here today, 2 to 3 inches, roads now clear but still plenty in the fields etc - newry/banbridge, co.down

index.jpg

What elevation are you at?

• Advertisement

pjrmJ7D.jpg

LftW9e4.jpg

V2hmCW1

dAiOvpL.jpg

eWY1MSt.jpg

Some photos of today’s hike to around 400m. Powder snow but very windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    What elevation are you at?

We`re spot on 400feet

ps. another covering of snow just now, seems to be freezing at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

I made a video About this whole storm Ciara/snow experience for boards to see!
    took 4 days to make

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

TTLF wrote: »

I made a video About this whole storm Ciara/snow experience for boards to see!
    took 4 days to make

Thanks for making that. Constructive criticism; maybe keep your camera still for a few seconds at least? It feels like I'm watching the world through the eyes of a jack russel terrier looking at live rats falling from the sky.

• Advertisement

loughside wrote: »
    We`re spot on 400feet

ps. another covering of snow just now, seems to be freezing at the minute

That’s odd! Snow has been struggling to lie below 200m in most places.

And, of course, it has froze. Rotten fecks didn’t treat any roads as far as I can see either.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It's like an ice rink

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Storm Ciara packed quite a punch here in south armagh 500 ft asl just had 3 solid days of high winds no let up at all then 7/8 hours of snow last night to top it off looking forward to some milder days on the horizon

• Registered Users Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

looking forward to some milder days on the horizon

You won't get them :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It's like an ice rink

Brutal...should have took my laptop home yesterday. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Well that sums up the pain of searching for snow from an Atlantic muck event. - 1.5c with cars and roads frozen at the house, few minutes later on the motorway, lashing rain and the temp jumped to +2.0c

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

It's like an ice rink

I found out to my demise, 3 mins from the end of my cycle, in Fairview Park on a patch of ice. Nice purple hip for my troubles. Thanks Ciara!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Well I fell flat on my arse this morning. Paths were deadly and there was ice on the grass because they were still partially flooded. No grit on the roads where I am either from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

My mam crashed the car this morning. Roads are lethal. No salt put down either

• Advertisement

Well that sums up the pain of searching for snow from an Atlantic muck event. - 1.5c with cars and roads frozen at the house, few minutes later on the motorway, lashing rain and the temp jumped to +2.0c

You need to live above 200 metres really and even then any lying snow will be marginal and slushy.

From my hiking experience yesterday, the proper dry and frozen snow was above 350m-400m.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Another 1cm on the ground from overnight snow showers going through south Laois.

It seems east Tipp, north Kilkenny, Laois, Carlow, Wicklow and into Kildare done the best for snow out of this event, conversely these areas do best in summer heatwaves too. It's our "mini-continental" weather micro-climate!

We have had further snow showers this morning. I have just drove over a 250m road and it was quite hairy!

No snowplough or salter. The road was completely white!

I thought we were warming up today? It was -0c up there.

Danno wrote: »
    Another 1cm on the ground from overnight snow showers going through south Laois.

It seems east Tipp, north Kilkenny, Laois, Carlow, Wicklow and into Kildare done the best for snow out of this event, conversely these areas do best in summer heatwaves too. It's our "mini-continental" weather micro-climate!

Did you? I think Ulster did better.

We had some snow showers this morning that topped up the snow above 200m.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Did you? I think Ulster did better.

We had some snow showers this morning that topped up the snow above 200m.
    Was it not a mostly upland event across Ulster except for a few sheltered spots such as Newry?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It was just unwalkable outside this morning. Black ice galore!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

There was another smattering of snow this morning it was icy AF - had to put off an early appointment and only ventured out when it began to thaw - dodgy.

S. sligo
    90m asl

Ulster is the best located for snow on the island..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Snow-10-2-20-15.jpg

Keeper Hill hiding it's peak
    Snow-10-2-20-14.jpg

Lough Derg
    Snow-10-2-20-13.jpg

Tintinna
    Snow-10-2-20-12.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Slieve bloom mountains this morning
    HDjrO11.jpg