Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Was it Scully that hit Diarmuid. A straight red . Also missed the neck tackle a few minutes later .

Dreadful refereeing.

Happy with so many of the new comers . Will be pushing hard for places . Ohora is a good intelligent player . Aiden was immense for40 mins .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

Sending off kind of took the bite out of it. Didn't think it was a red tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Typical moaning here as usual, was a red card all day long. Late, high, dangerous.

It wasn't a red, don't think I've ever seen a red for that kind of tackle given how often it goes on.

But we still lost because of bad shooting, once again.

But spirited performances from our backs. O'Hora showed well once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭glack

Thought it was a red at the game and still think it’s a red now. He’d have had some hope if it wasn’t so ridiculously late. It was late and dangerous.

There were plenty of other reffing decisions I didn’t agree with but Flynn has no one to blame but himself. Unfortunately for the lad, he’ll likely pay the price. Has promise so I hope he plays again once his ban is over.

Hammered and the Dubs didn’t even try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

PressRun wrote: »
    Sending off kind of took the bite out of it. Didn't think it was a red tbh.

I thought the same at the time but watching a video of it back and it was more of a strike action than it looked in real time. He knew what he was doing - red card was fair enough!

Padkir wrote: »
    I thought the same at the time but watching a video of it back and it was more of a strike action than it looked in real time. He knew what he was doing - red card was fair enough!

Fair enough. It happened in front of me and I didn't see what was supposed to be so shocking about it. I've seen worse and no red given.

But again don't think it was the winning or losing of the game. Our shooting was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

glack wrote: »
    Thought it was a red at the game and still think it’s a red now. He’d have had some hope if it wasn’t so ridiculously late. It was late and dangerous.

There were plenty of other reffing decisions I didn’t agree with but Flynn has no one to blame but himself. Unfortunately for the lad, he’ll likely pay the price. Has promise so I hope he plays again once his ban is over.

Hammered and the Dubs didn’t even try.

The three lads on Eir Sport all agreed it wasn't a red card and that's with all the slowmo replays. Over reaction from the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

A high tackle is nearly always a yellow card so the linesman (who must have alerted Cassidy from the footage I've seen) must have seen some intent in the swing from Flynn to recommend a Red.

It's late, high and with a swinging arm. When you tackle recklessly you have to accept that there is a risk of a red card.

I just don't see what was different in this case to the many yellow cards given for high tackles over the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

The red card was extremely disappointing as it appeared like we could be very competitive in the contest up to that point.

Game over after same.I haven't watched the game back as yet but I thought the red card was harsh with Jordan Flynn more clumsy than anything else.I'm open to correction.

I thought defensively were quite good although we had a few close shaves.

O Hora and Mullin again performed admirably.Colm Boyle was a big loss.

Our achilles heel continues to be up front,Kevin MC's introduction as always bright us that bit of nous we lack in terms of penetration.

IMO Diarmuid should be taking the frees off the ground.The oft maligned Stephen Coen was very solid.

Tommy Conroy showed well on his introduction and got his reward.He will be a mainstay going forward.

James Horan will hopefully persist with the likes of Ryan O Donoghue,James Carr and the other new lads like Bryan Walsh.Hopefully Eoin O Donoghue gets some game time,ditto Ciaran Treacy.

Loads of experience still marked absent. Chris Barrett,Seamus O Shea,Donal Vaughan,Jason Doherty and Cillian O Connor plus young Matthew Ruane.

Meath is as we always anticipated a must win game.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    James Horan will hopefully persist with the likes of Ryan O Donoghue,James Carr and the other new lads like Bryan Walsh.Hopefully Eoin O Donoghue gets some game time,ditto Ciaran Treacy.

Loads of experience still marked absent. Chris Barrett,Seamus O Shea,Donal Vaughan,Jason Doherty and Cillian O Connor plus young Matthew Ruane.

He has to persist with the young lads. It's the only way they're going to learn.
    On the free taking, I don't know why Diarmuid wasn't just taking all of them instead of this messing about with multiple free takers again.

As far as I know, Horan has said that Seamie and Chris Barrett aren't expected back for another while yet, and we won't be seeing Jason Doherty until championship. Not sure what the story is with the others. Haven't heard any mention of Cillian O'Connor or where he is at in terms of a potential return. Matthew Ruane I presume won't be seen until championship either?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

I thought Carr did very well competing for ball up front and got his hands on lots of 50-50 passes.

Although I like the look of Conroy, he was not able to compete quite as well for awkward ball. It meant the we didn’t have the same option to go long in the second half.

Incidentally I thought Flynn had kicked a few lovely long passes in the short time he had.

PressRun wrote: »
    He has to persist with the young lads. It's the only way they're going to learn.
    On the free taking, I don't know why Diarmuid wasn't just taking all of them instead of this messing about with multiple free takers again.

As far as I know, Horan has said that Seamie and Chris Barrett aren't expected back for another while yet, and we won't be seeing Jason Doherty until championship. Not sure what the story is with the others. Haven't heard any mention of Cillian O'Connor or where he is at in terms of a potential return. Matthew Ruane I presume won't be seen until championship either?

Yes he's out until championship post his surgery I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Panrich wrote: »
    I thought Carr did very well competing for ball up front and got his hands on lots of 50-50 passes.

Although I like the look of Conroy, he was not able to compete quite as well for awkward ball. It meant the we didn’t have the same option to go long in the second half.

Incidentally I thought Flynn had kicked a few lovely long passes in the short time he had.
    Flynn is a great passer of the ball, his strength and distribution were sorely missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,155 ✭✭✭✭km79

There were a lot of positives for me last night so I’ll just focus on them .........

Full back line was excellent
    Hard to believe Mullen is so young . O hora excellent . Can see him bench given man marking jobs in the summer . Great to see a full back line mark as they should . Touch tight . Do not want to see Higgins there again. Impact sub role for him now probably higher up the pitch .
    Coen was good in his own unassuming way
    Aido excellent but only had a half in him . We are in big trouble if anything happens him really.
    Boland I can’t work out. He always come up with some good scores but not involved enough ?
    Ryan O D is gonna be a serious playmaker but maybe not this year .
    Conroy showed well again

We need to win the next two now though

km79 wrote: »
    There were a lot of positives for me last night so I’ll just focus on them .........

Full back line was excellent
    Hard to believe Mullen is so young . O hora excellent . Can see him bench given man marking jobs in the summer . Great to see a full back line mark as they should . Touch tight . Do not want to see Higgins there again. Impact sub role for him now probably higher up the pitch .
    Coen was good in his own unassuming way
    Aido excellent but only had a half in him . We are in big trouble if anything happens him really.
    Boland I can’t work out. He always come up with some good scores but not involved enough ?
    Ryan O D is gonna be a serious playmaker but maybe not this year .
    Conroy showed well again

We need to win the next two now though

i'm of the opinion that Fergal Boland is thus far our standout forward in the league,a good footpasser.

Very unlucky with that shot of the post if I recall correctly.

Indeed one suspects this year will be a year too early for Ryan O Donoghue.

i'm of the opinion that Fergal Boland is thus far our standout forward in the league,a good footpasser.

Very unlucky with that shot of the post if I recall correctly.

I’d love if he could kick on as he can kick long range points
    Looks a bit stronger
    I assumed he would be the man to fill the playmaker (Alan dillon style ) role
    But Horan looks to b me favouring Ryan O D so far in that one
    Good to see young lads coming through and being tried in almost every position anyway .......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The ref was terrible. The steps rule must have been removed from his rule book. Ruined the game.

Our shooting was terrible again. You cant miss simple frees and marks in front of the post. If you shout a mark you need to be scoring it.

Ciaran Mac has work cut out as shooting coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

I thought McCormick was disappointing when he came on, it must be very hard for eoin o donoghue to see the new lads get games before him?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Irrespective of the result great to potentially a future full back in the making in Oisin Mullins. Lad has lightning pace too which is vital too for the way Mayo tend to play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Irrespective of the result great to potentially a future full back in the making in Oisin Mullins. Lad has lightning pace too which is vital too for the way Mayo tend to play

Yes very promising as are a lot of the younger guys. Even though we lost yesterday, I was very positive about our future. There is a real bite to these young guys and great to see. I thought Carr was excellent in the first half and has really strengthen up. I just wish we could try a new goalkeeper as RH is not the answer and will cause problems when the pressure is applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

Overall not too disheartened with the performance on Sat night, game was over once the red card was produced. Thought it was very harsh and something you see a lot in every game, if lads are getting sent off for that then expect 2 or 3 sending offs per game. Interesting to note that it was Cassidy on the whistle when Flynn had the meltdown in U20s final, may have influenced the decision slightly I feel.

Backs were outstanding I thought, Mullin and O’Hora in particular, Boyle was excellent for the time he was on and Plunkett solid enough too. Some great options and competition there now with O’Donoghue, Higgins and Barrett to add into the mix too. I’d expect Keegan and Durkan to be given more of a free role come the summer if Mullin and O’Hora keep producing the goods. Coen did well overall but still think full back is his position in the long run, DOC had his best game for a long time. In the forwards thought Carr was doing well, mystified as to how he was taken off, was often left isolated by himself too, needed another body inside full forward line with him. I like the cut of Ryan O’Donoghue, he has an eye for a pass, needs to build up his confidence though, couple times he had the opportunity to take on his man but didn’t do so, would persist with him, Boland excellent as per usual, a seriously underated player. Didn’t really happen for James Durkan but more suited to wing forward role. Find it interesting that we now have some real speedsters coming through in the forward line compared to the last few years in Carr, O’Donoghue, Treacy and Conroy in particular, shows the way the game is gone.

Meath and Monaghan games are huge now, need at least 3 points out of those to be honest and hopefully sneak a win against Tyrone.

<snip>

It is a shame Oisin Mullen has u20 match next weekend. Colm Boyle also likely to be out. Surely time for E O D to get a run......

Assume Carr is also a doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

km79 wrote: »
    It is a shame Oisin Mullen has u20 match next weekend. Colm Boyle also likely to be out. Surely time for E O D to get a run......

Did oisin play a club game yesterday
    Would that be normal with the league

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Where have Rob & Wild Willie gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Interesting to note that it was Cassidy on the whistle when Flynn had the meltdown in U20s final, may have influenced the decision slightly I feel.
    Hate defending Cassidy, he had a poor game Saturday evening even aside from the red card, but wasn't the U20 game Niall Cullen?

Questionable decision, but not sure it was as malicious and calculated as suggested here.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 The Supporter

Meath are targeting the Mayo game and if Mayo underestimate Meath we will come empty handed from Navan. Donegal scored three goals and conceded non yesterday, can we do the same? It is a must win encounter for Meath. From the Discussion Form "From a Mayo point of view, one thing that has to be mentioned is the goal keeping issue. Rob Hennelly had a decent game last night and it's clear he's great kicker of a ball (when the squeeze isn't on him). He wasn't really at fault for the goal yesterday but at the same time, it was the type of goal that Clarke rarely concedes as Clarke usually takes man and ball out of it. I was looking at some stats recently and they don't lie. Excluding games against New York and London, Rob hasn't kept a clean sheet in championship since the Connacht Final in 2014. Last year, out of 71 matches across the championship, only on 5 occasions did the team that conceded more goals win. Conceding goals has been killing Mayo for the last decade and while the blame can't be fully placed with Rob, it's clear that a big mistake is never too far away with him. Last night he dropped another high ball that on another day could easily have gone in. I don't want to slate the lad because I'm sure he puts in hours every week but if we play him again come championship, it is going to end in tears...and the blame is going to rest with James Horan." I firmly believe David Clarke should be restored to goals and we have to really have to work on our shooting.

• Advertisement

Apparently boyler has done his cruciate :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement