Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The following are the names contesting so far:
    • Deputy Brendan Griffin (Fine Gael),
    • Cllr. Mike Kennelly (Fine Gael),
    • Deputy John Brassil (Fianna Fáil),
    • Cllr. Norma Moriarty (Fianna Fáil),
    • Cllr. Norma Foley (Fianna Fáil),
    • Cllr. Pa Daly (Sinn Féin),
    • Brian Finucane (People Before Profit),
    • Cleo Murphy (Green Party),
    • Sonny Foran (Aontú),
    • Deputy Michael Healy-Rae (Independent),
    • Deputy Danny Healy-Rae (Independent)

So which 5 do you think will be elected and how many quotas will the Healy-Rae's get between them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

No idea.
    First time voting In. Kerry. Whose worth voting for.
    The HR's are out. Robbing the tax payer and claiming attendance for a funeral ruined it for me.

Who else isn't so blatantly dishonest?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The 2020 Healy-Rae map - Danny getting slightly more territory than in 2016, through turning Kilgarvan into a joint area!

https://twitter.com/electionlit/status/1217894722078834688

Moved this post into this GE2020 thread. Please post all election chat here. And note to all, please Keep it civil Thanks! Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

The Healy Rae's are safe....love them, or loathe them... they listen to their constituents...get potholes fixed, try to get council houses for people on the waiting list for a long time , and provide buses to the north for cataract ops that will take 2-3 years for the HSE to provide ...the amount of goodwill that alone provides is insane

Sinn Fein could be in trouble... Martin Ferris not running...his daughter not running .. there's more to this story than were being told I believe.. Pa Daly is a good guy, I like him... he'll get the hardcore nationalist vote... but may lose the "floating voter" a little.

John Brassil could be in trouble...a lot of his supporters are annoyed that he's not fixing local roads and looking after local issues...he's being berated for not doing the things we berate the Healy Rae's for doing!
    Still looking at Tralee, I think Norma Foley has a massive chance of being elected...she's been to the forefront of lots of local issues and has a bit of support building...I'd expect her to take Brassils seat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

The Healy Rae's are safe....love them, or loathe them... they listen to their constituents...get potholes fixed, try to get council houses for people on the waiting list for a long time , and provide buses to the north for cataract ops that will take 2-3 years for the HSE to provide ...the amount of goodwill that alone provides is insane

Sinn Fein could be in trouble... Martin Ferris not running...his daughter not running .. there's more to this story than were being told I believe.. Pa Daly is a good guy, I like him... he'll get the hardcore nationalist vote... but may lose the "floating voter" a little.

John Brassil could be in trouble...a lot of his supporters are annoyed that he's not fixing local roads and looking after local issues...he's being berated for not doing the things we berate the Healy Rae's for doing!
    Still looking at Tralee, I think Norma Foley has a massive chance of being elected...she's been to the forefront of lots of local issues and has a bit of support building...I'd expect her to take Brassils seat...

Agree with all this. Pa Daly has done some great work on the council but I get the distinct feeling that he is only in this race as he is the only half way candidate SF have. I think Brendan Griffin and MHR are the only ones who are definitely safe. DHR will get probably get enough transfers to go through.

• Advertisement

Just had my first caller from FF. New to the county so know no one.

Asked him why I'd vote FF and he couldn't tell me.
    Told him I'd lost all hope of fg who I've voted for the last 30 years.
    Am old enough to remember what FF did to the country and when he told me it would be a FF/Greens coalition...well I lost all hope.
    Not to mention propping up FG the last 8 years.

Anyway he went away without giving any answers.

Looks like I'm not voting for Foley!

No idea who to vote for this year but always have done with the belief we get the government we deserve and can't complain if we don't vote.

Anyway, must be careful not to upset the neighbours :)

Edited to fix typo..though I did have to apply for residency of the kingdom and get a visa :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Just had my first caller from FF. New to the country so know no one.

Am old enough to remember what FF did to the country and when he told me it would be a FF/Greens coalition...well I lost all hope.
    Not to mention propping up FG the last 8 years.

Anyway he went away without giving any answers.

Looks like I'm not voting for Foley!

No idea who to vote for this year but always have done with the belief we get the government we deserve and can't complain if we don't vote.

Anyway, must be careful not to upset the neighbours :)

If you've voted for FG for 30 years, presumably you've just moved to Kerry, rather than Ireland? Welcome, either way!

If you've voted for FG for 30 years, presumably you've just moved to Kerry, rather than Ireland? Welcome, either way! As for voting advice, I'd worry less about electability than whoever is closest to your own political opinions.

Unfortunately you can't separate the individual from the party due to the whip system.
    Looking forward to MHR calling to my door. I want to know about his powers of bi-location ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Unfortunately you can't separate the individual from the party due to the whip system.
    Looking forward to MHR calling to my door. I want to know about his powers of bi-location ;)

Ask him about his ridiculous raffle too.

• Advertisement

For what it's worth, below are the odds from Paddy power
    Michael Healy-Rae (Ind) 1/50
    Danny Healy-Rae (Ind) 1/20
    Brendan Griffin (Fine Gael) 1/6
    John Brassil (Fianna Fail) 1/5
    Pa Daly (Sinn Fein) 8/11
    Norma Foley (Fianna Fail) 5/4
    Mike Kennelly (Fine Gael) 2/1
    Norma Moriarty (Fianna Fail) 7/1
    Cleo Murphy (Green Party) 14/1
    Sonny Foran (Aontu) 33/1
    Brian Finucane (PBP) 100/1

I assume that Mike Kennelly has been added to the ticket to try to get some North Kerry votes from FF and pick up the historic FG voters for Deenihan.

uchimata83 wrote: »
    For what it's worth, below are the odds from Paddy power
    Michael Healy-Rae (Ind) 1/50
    Danny Healy-Rae (Ind) 1/20
    Brendan Griffin (Fine Gael) 1/6
    John Brassil (Fianna Fail) 1/5
    Pa Daly (Sinn Fein) 8/11
    Norma Foley (Fianna Fail) 5/4
    Mike Kennelly (Fine Gael) 2/1
    Norma Moriarty (Fianna Fail) 7/1
    Cleo Murphy (Green Party) 14/1
    Sonny Foran (Aontu) 33/1
    Brian Finucane (PBP) 100/1

I assume that Mike Kennelly has been added to the ticket to try to get some North Kerry votes from FF and pick up the historic FG voters for Deenihan.

Indeed - the FG ticket seems better balanced than FF's, geographically speaking - hard to see how the latter gain from having two North Kerry candidates.

Just had my first caller from FF. New to the county so know no one.

He could not point to the crises in health, crime and housing, in a week when a child was dismembered in the gangland war, an elderly woman photographed eating her dinner off a window sill and a homeless man hospitalised when being dumped like trash, and say FF is the only realistic alternative when it comes to leading a Government?

I appreciate that, as a former long term FG voter, you may validly object to pinning all these on that party, the reasons are far more complex and historic.

I'm just saying...he must have been an awful canvasser.

He could not point to the crises in health, crime and housing, in a week when a child was dismembered in the gangland war, an elderly woman photographed eating her dinner off a window sill and a homeless man hospitalised when being dumped like trash, and say FF is the only realistic alternative when it comes to leading a Government?

I appreciate that, as a former long term FG voter, you may validly object to pinning all these on that party, the reasons are far more complex and historic.

Unfortunately we can't blame it all health's problems on FG.
    FF were in government longer. Talking to colleagues in the dept of health whove been there decades, they were all useless. Martin, Harney,( she at least tried) and of course Mr soundbite himself Leo.
    Harris works hard but is in over his head. It's too big a job for 1 man. I often met him in the lift. He has the weight of the world on his shoulders. He's dealing with the failure of every government before him to sort out health. It would take the dedicated resources of a team of ministers and a willingness to overlook the results of the next election to deal with the problems whatever the next poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Most accurate line in any election thread I have read so far on this site.

Unfortunately we can't blame it all health's problems on FG..

Oh fully agree. I think you could double the money thrown at the HSE and you'd still get many of the same issues, waiting lists, overcrowded AnEs etc. Judging by the problems in the NHS, I think one has to accept that maybe health systems inevitably come with systemic issues. Either way, it's come to the stage where taking on the role as Minister will break the most capable politician, Brian Cowen's comment that it was the Angola of government departments was one apt observation.

That's nonsense re Simon Harris. The guy wouldn't know an honest day's work if it came up and bit him on the backside. If you're in any doubt head over to the farcically name uhk and spend a few hours in a&e.

The 8th amendment referendum had 75% approval before it was ever even decided to be put before the people.

This crack of blaming everything on your predecessors doesn't fly when you've been in government for 8 years.

That's nonsense re Simon Harris. The guy wouldn't know an honest day's work if it came up and bit him on the backside. If you're in any doubt head over to the farcically name uhk and spend a few hours in a&e.

The 8th amendment referendum had 75% approval before it was ever even decided to be put before the people.

This crack of blaming everything on your predecessors doesn't fly when you've been in government for 8 years.
    I take it you've worked in the DoH since you know what he does every day!

By comparison, the Slovak health system works well with everyone over 18 paying insurance which is managed by private companies. The money follows the patient and the system works.
    Under 18 are free.My youngest had 4 opportunities of heart surgery while waiting on the list in Crumlin. We eventually took an appointment and got a call from Crumlin 12 months after he had been done.

Of course it was attempted to bring it in here with universal insurance and the people/doctors etc didn't want it.

I take it you've worked in the DoH since you know what he does every day!

No but I wasn't hanging around the seanad since I was 20 either. Nor am I building the most expensive hospital on the face of the Earth. He's going to be the first health minister to buy one hospital for the price of two and that capital investment directly impacts the the provision of new services locally.

By all accounts the economy has never been better, and the health service has never been worse

It looks as though the newest opinion poll seems to be a little more accurate (in my opinion, of course). FF up to 32% and FG down to 20% - although these seem too high and low respectively. FG will lose a massive amount of the farmers vote after the last three months and its difficult to see any of them voting for the greens.

I like to keep an eye on the odds as the bookies tend to be right most of the time, and it looks like Norma Foley is going to pick up that fifth seat at the expense of Sinn Fein.

• Advertisement

I see an American called John Bowler is standing as the Irexit candidate in Kerry - his Twitter a/c is "colourful" to say the least!

https://twitter.com/beachbuminkerry/status/1218594886162751488

I see an American called John Bowler is standing as the Irexit candidate in Kerry - his Twitter a/c is "colourful" to say the least!

He's wearing a flat cap. He'll be mixed up with the other eejits wearing flat caps and win the seat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Nor am I building the most expensive hospital on the face of the Earth

At least it is being built. FF wasted tens of millions trying to shoehorn it into Bertie's constituency. And at the end of that debacle nothing was achieved, and children were still left untreated. Anyone who thinks that the solution to the problems of the health service lies in voting for Mícheál M is very naive.

JonathonS wrote: »
    At least it is being built. FF wasted tens of millions trying to shoehorn it into Bertie's constituency. And at the end of that debacle nothing was achieved, and children were still left untreated. Anyone who thinks that the solution to the problems of the health service lies in voting for Mícheál M is very naive.

At what cost though? You can give anyone a blank cheque book and they'll build you a hospital. If FF are reckless with government money, FG are incompetent. And I would say that FF are as bad, if not worse, to keep that government in power despite the children's hospital, cervical scandal, NBP costs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

What's with the two Normas running for FF?:confused: Is that a traditional girls name down south, like a female equivalent of Jeremiah?

Is anyone working at the polling stations?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I hope he does as well in this election as he did in the EU elections. It's ironic that anti-EU parties in general, stress that they don't want their country to be dictated to by foreigners, yet the IFP have a foreigner telling Irish people what's good for them.

I hope he comes knocking on my door. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Who is this Sean O’Leary lad who has registered as an independent? Some guy from Cork, apparently a business man. He is also registered in all 5 cork constituencies, and 5 in Dublin too. That's 5500 in registration fees, without apparently a peep from him about policies or anything like that.

Doing a bit of canvassing in West Cork for the Soc Dems.

So telling people to vote for a candidate and party I can't vote for!!

• Advertisement

Doing a bit of canvassing in West Cork for the Soc Dems.

So telling people to vote for a candidate and party I can't vote for!!

TBF, read her profile in Monday's Examiner - seems a fairly grounded and decent candidate. Wasn't there a guy in Killarney called Joe O'Shea who was going to start a Kerry branch, but nothing more heard about him afterwards?

Advertisement