Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Je Suis Mila

Options
  • 24-01-2020 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

*A 16 year old girl from Cork was having the craic online and posted a video of herself singing. She is a lesbian and wants to be a pop star. She got some pretty nasty sexual comments back from a young lad and when she rebuffed him he publicly called her a dirty Irish whore, a dirty dyke, and so on. He then said he was a Catholic. The girl responded by saying I hate all religions, Catholicism is full of hate, I have no time for any of it, your priests rape children, your nuns kill babies.

The internet went mad. Some lads went online and published the girls name, address and where she goes to school. Hundreds if not thousands of homophobic and misogynistic threats were posted online against her, calling for her to be hunted down, raped, attacked and killed. Really vile stuff.

The local cops visited the girl in school and told her to leave and to go immediately into hiding. They told her family to be careful of their security. There are efforts being made now to find those who have threatened her with death. She says she has nothing against any type of people, she just really hates religion, and that she speaks her mind and should be allowed to do so.

Terrible thing to happen. Sure, she could have been less crude, but she is a stroppy fiery girl and she does not like creeps perving on her, she does not like homophobic attacks on her and she also does not like religion, like many before her.

*This did not really happen in Cork.

But it did really happen elsewhere, the girl is French, the boy said he is a Muslim. I think it is just as bad as if the fictional scenario happened. Do you?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/french-teenager-in-hiding-after-insulting-islam-online-0vl5hrs0m

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the amount of people who probably had replies written out using the words 'far right' 'incel' and describing it as a religious fuelled hate crime then read the last line of your post and just backed away from the thread....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Je ne suis pas pour l'un ou l'autre. It really is a modern condition. One person is edgy, people hit back, person one gets offended and lashes out. Cue the worst of the internet by a braindead mob. It's repeated day in day out online. All the child can do is refer it to those who may be able to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

If your account is true, the message the police are sending here is basically if you don't want any trouble from these people keep your mouth shut, don't stand up for yourself and let them abuse you because you don't follow their strict rules.
    Better cover your face too to be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

My point really is the advent in parts of Europe of new Blasphemy rules by any other name. A 16 year old girl has gone into hiding fearing for her life. There is essentially a fatwa on her head. This is a state of affairs worthy of note in any democracy.

Gynoid wrote: »
    My point really is the advent in parts of Europe of new Blasphemy rules by any other name. A 16 year old girl has gone into hiding fearing for her life. There is essentially a fatwa on her head. This is a state of affairs worthy of note in any democracy.
    However poorly or dubiously others may behave, this fictitious chain of events was put in motion by the poor decisions of a very young person on social media.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    However poorly or dubiously others may behave, this fictitious chain of events was put in motion by the poor decisions of a very young person on social media.

Is this what is referred to usually as "victim blaming"?

Is this what is referred to usually as "victim blaming"?
    There is no blame to assign to her, just a description of the events and consequences, sadly predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭buried

The internet went mad.

When this happens, then its time to ignore

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    A whole lot do not and have invested much of their life in it.

is_that_so wrote: »

There is not a week goes past that I do not read equally strident views on boards about other religions. Is the expression of those opinions all the poor decisions of very young people, or do people feel on boards feel free to express themselves however vehemently without fear of death and rape threat?

• Advertisement

buried wrote: »

Many do not do context very well. Or import. Or nuance. That's okay. They rely on casual irony and apathy instead. It is the modern way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MMXX

But it did really happen elsewhere, the girl is French, the boy said he is a Muslim. I think it is just as bad as if the fictional scenario happened. Do you?
    Yes, it is definitely just as bad - but it is also remarkably different.

MMXX wrote: »

In what way?

In what way?
    I am not biting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the amount of people who shrugged their shoulders and intimated the charlie hebdo journalists had it coming was an eye opener

There is not a week goes past that I do not read equally strident views on boards about other religions. Is the expression of those opinions all the poor decisions of very young people, or do people feel on boards feel free to express themselves however vehemently without fear of death and rape threat?
    The difference on Boards and other such forums is that we are not really free to say what we want. The restrictions help us learn, well some of us. In social media it's a real swamp with people vying to outdo each other and forming mobs. Add in the finely honed sense of outrage and increasing intolerance of opinions of others nothing is at all surprising. In your example what "happened" is completely wrong, illegal and deserves punishment. I can see how someone might be offended at such carte blanche opinions and they are entitled to feel that way. Acting on it in a way that affects another person is not acceptable

I am not biting.

You mean, you aren't going to explain yourself because you can't without coming across hypocritical?

You mean, you aren't going to explain yourself because you can't without coming across hypocritical?
    No, because I don't care - nor do I have the energy, to defend myself against accusations of Islamophobia, should I have indeed attempted to explain the difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

free speech doesn't include vile crude attacks on people's faith. pity we dont stand up for ourselves anymore we wouldn't have a terminal nation.
    oh and while im piss3d off... 16 year old homosexual? thats just bad parenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

So how many of you have fatva on your head because of your criticism of muslim religion? Or is it maybe very relevant that she is lesbian and a woman and threatening behaviour against women online is popular sport?

I absolutely despise religious fundamentalism and I think as many of those who threatened her should be prosecuted. However let's not pretend tha nonmuslims don't threaten women with all sorts of violence. Thank you for highlighting what young women are subjected online to when they rebuff someone's advances.

• Advertisement

LaFuton wrote: »
    oh and while im piss3d off... 16 year old homosexual? thats just bad parenting.

Do you think people *just become gay* at 18? What?

Of course there's homosexuals aged 16, (and, shock, horror!) EVEN YOUNGER THAN THAT.

Unless you think being gay is a choice? If so, how old were you when you decided to be straight?

Do you think people *just become gay* at 18? What?

Of course there's homosexuals aged 16, (and, shock, horror!) EVEN YOUNGER THAN THAT.

Unless you think being gay is a choice? If so, how old were you when you decided to be straight?

I wouldn't bother if I were you. Best left under the bridge.

meeeeh wrote: »
    So how many of you have fatva on your head because of your criticism of muslim religion? Or is it maybe very relevant that she is lesbian and a woman and threatening behaviour against women online is popular sport?

I absolutely despise religious fundamentalism and I think as many of those who threatened her should be prosecuted. However let's not pretend tha nonmuslims don't threaten women with all sorts of violence. Thank you for highlighting what young women are subjected online to when they rebuff someone's advances.

Jesus Christ. That is what you took from this? You are going to try turn this into a feminist thread?

You should really be ashamed of yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

the amount of people who shrugged their shoulders and intimated the charlie hebdo journalists had it coming was an eye opener

Neither did the people that happened to be nearby when Cherlie Hebdo was being so brave.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

LaFuton wrote: »
    free speech doesn't include vile crude attacks on people's faith.

You might not like it but it absolutely does. The ability to criticise ideologies is a must if you believe in freedom of speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

You’ll have to tell us why he’s excused if he’s a Muslim but not excused if he’s catholic. Otherwise you’ll appear religiously bigoted. Not a good look for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Neither did the people that happened to be nearby when Cherlie Hebdo was being so brave.
    tried reading that a few times, cant make any sense of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

tried reading that a few times, cant make any sense of it

Re: asking for it/had it coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

meeeeh wrote: »

...... However let's not pretend tha nonmuslims don't threaten women with all sorts of violence. Thank you for highlighting what young women are subjected online to when they rebuff someone's advances.
    Didn't take long for the whatabouters and apologists, yes it's not Islam , it's ALL men. what about the muslim women who believe she deserves the threats, and calls to violence ?

• Advertisement

Re: asking for it/had it coming.

I still can't follow

Advertisement