Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry Airport - News & Updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Amused to hear the Healy Raes campaigning for a PSO to be introduced to enable a Kerry- Amsterdam route!! What next, a PSO to Lanzarote as a break from milking the cows is deemed a social necessity for their voters??

https://www.radiokerry.ie/minister-wont-extend-pso-create-kerry-amsterdam-route/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

ongarboy wrote: »
    Amused to hear the Healy Raes campaigning for a PSO to be introduced to enable a Kerry- Amsterdam route!! What next, a PSO to Lanzarote as a break from milking the cows is deemed a social necessity for their voters??

https://www.radiokerry.ie/minister-wont-extend-pso-create-kerry-amsterdam-route/

The Pub Culture is weaning so maybe they're hoping to get a head start and introduce Kerry folk to the 'Coffee Shop' idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭john boye

They probably think the pilot should be allowed to fly the plane with 5 pints on board too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It isn’t surprising they are looking for hub connectivity. Apart from FR, there is the Dublin flights with Aer Lingus that are poorly timed for connections and often are delays that result in missed connections (if a flight lands 2 hours late in the evening it departs 2 hours late in the morning).

Kerry is quite an isolated county and both road and rail access is poor. Dublin Airport is 4.5 hours at least away by rail and Cork Airport and Shannon Airport are at the very least 2 hours away.

There are many businesses in the Kerry area that are suffering as a result. Fexco and Dairymaster are 2 regularly quoted. Kerry Group moved most of their operations to Naas to be closer to Dublin Airport

For hub connectivity aside from Dublin which has limited long haul apart from North America and the ME3, either London, Paris or Amsterdam would be useful. Given the LHR slots issue, AMS makes sense given KLM’s fondness for sending small aircraft to small airports in the UK.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

AMS is also problematic slots wise now.

CDG was what was attempted as a replacement for LHR at Shannon when that was briefly pulled - but people seem far more used to connecting at LHR/AMS. That said there's more use of Skyscanner and so on these days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

L1011 wrote: »

CDG was what was attempted as a replacement for LHR at Shannon when that was briefly pulled - but people seem far more used to connecting at LHR/AMS. That said there's more use of Skyscanner and so on these days

The astronomical pricing was the reason snn CDG failed. It was 4-500 each way most flights on a small aircraft. Wasn't a runner for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭embraer170

They could start selling European connections through DUB (mandate it as part of the PSO if necessary) before dreaming of AMS, CDG, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭blackwhite

marno21 wrote: »
    It isn’t surprising they are looking for hub connectivity. Apart from FR, there is the Dublin flights with Aer Lingus that are poorly timed for connections and often are delays that result in missed connections (if a flight lands 2 hours late in the evening it departs 2 hours late in the morning).

Kerry is quite an isolated county and both road and rail access is poor. Dublin Airport is 4.5 hours at least away by rail and Cork Airport and Shannon Airport are at the very least 2 hours away.

There are many businesses in the Kerry area that are suffering as a result. Fexco and Dairymaster are 2 regularly quoted. Kerry Group moved most of their operations to Naas to be closer to Dublin Airport

For hub connectivity aside from Dublin which has limited long haul apart from North America and the ME3, either London, Paris or Amsterdam would be useful. Given the LHR slots issue, AMS makes sense given KLM’s fondness for sending small aircraft to small airports in the UK.

Kerry Group retained all of their head office functions in Tralee.

The centre in Naas has 2 primary functions - a shared services centre for certain accounting/finance functions that pulling in operations from their plants around EMEA, and a R&D facility to support innovation in the ingredients business. Neither function involved relocating jobs from Kerry to Naas. Some management team changed roles and relocated to head up departments in the new facility, but no roles or functions were moved from Tralee to Naas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

tototoe wrote: »
    L1011 wrote: »

The astronomical pricing was the reason snn CDG failed. It was 4-500 each way most flights on a small aircraft. Wasn't a runner for most.

I read it was because they were drinking all the aviation fuel down there that's why they bumped up the ticket prices was in the local rag?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

blackwhite wrote: »

The centre in Naas has 2 primary functions - a shared services centre for certain accounting/finance functions that pulling in operations from their plants around EMEA, and a R&D facility to support innovation in the ingredients business. Neither function involved relocating jobs from Kerry to Naas. Some management team changed roles and relocated to head up departments in the new facility, but no roles or functions were moved from Tralee to Naas.

Regardless, the staff count in Naas is vastly higher than in Tralee.

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »
    Regardless, the staff count in Naas is vastly higher than in Tralee.

Their staff count in Malaysia and in Mexico is much higher than Tralee also - and about as relevant to the claim that "Kerry Group moved most of their operations to Naas to be closer to Dublin Airport".

The claim was that Naas took jobs away from Kerry - which is utter nonsense.
    There was never going to be an Innovation Centre, or an EMEA shared service centre, in Tralee. The competition for such a location was basically Cork, Galway, Limerick and greater Dublin - or else overseas.

Naas was selected primarily due to proximity to Dublin city (and the pool of suitable qualified staff for the innovation centre) - not due to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I do know of a friend of a friend that's role was moved from Kerry to Naas- it was either move up there or no job. Bare in mind I wasn't directly speaking to the person though.

road_high wrote: »
    I do know of a friend of a friend that's role was moved from Kerry to Naas- it was either move up there or no job. Bare in mind I wasn't directly speaking to the person though.

I know a few people who were involved in establishing the Naas facility - no functions were moved from Tralee to Naas and anyone moving was by choice, or for a promotion. I know a few who were told that if they wanted progression they’d need to move - but AFAIK there were no cases of people being told that they’d face redundancy if they didn’t move

I know a few people who were involved in establishing the Naas facility - no functions were moved from Tralee to Naas and anyone moving was by choice, or for a promotion. I know a few who were told that if they wanted progression they’d need to move - but AFAIK there were no cases of people being told that they’d face redundancy if they didn’t move

I think this person was in the Listowel facility. I wasn't speaking to the person directly myself so was hard to verify if true or not.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Their staff count in Malaysia and in Mexico is much higher than Tralee also - and about as relevant to the claim that "Kerry Group moved most of their operations to Naas to be closer to Dublin Airport".

The claim was that Naas took jobs away from Kerry - which is utter nonsense.
    There was never going to be an Innovation Centre, or an EMEA shared service centre, in Tralee. The competition for such a location was basically Cork, Galway, Limerick and greater Dublin - or else overseas.

Naas was selected primarily due to proximity to Dublin city (and the pool of suitable qualified staff for the innovation centre) - not due to the airport.

The fact is that, while expanding substantially elsewhere, they've not been growing employment in Kerry. The small HQ just pays lip service to the company's name. Which I suppose is fair enough as they're just another generic multinational, purely driven by economic concerns.

Quackster wrote: »
    The fact is that, while expanding substantially elsewhere, they've not been growing employment in Kerry. The small HQ just pays lip service to the company's name. Which I suppose is fair enough as they're just another generic multinational, purely driven by economic concerns.

Very true - but doesn’t support the claim that Dublin airport was causing Kerry to “transfer operations” from Kerry to Naas

Very true - but doesn’t support the claim that Dublin airport was causing Kerry to “transfer operations” from Kerry to Naas

You’d have to say it’s a pull factor and a consideration especially if dealing multinationally. May not have been their only factor but being within an hour to 90mins radius of Dublin airport is very important

road_high wrote: »
    You’d have to say it’s a pull factor and a consideration especially if dealing multinationally. May not have been their only factor but being within an hour to 90mins radius of Dublin airport is very important

The point is that those jobs would never have been in Kerry anyway - nothing it do with the airport, but because of the pool of suitably qualified workers available in the hinterland of a big city.
    KIR could have connections to LHR, AMS and CDG but it wouldn’t make a difference in terms of improving the pool of workers suitable for a finance shared services centre, and a food process innovation centre.

http://traleetoday.ie/new-ryanair-route-to-manchester-announced-by-kerry-airport/

Good news. New KIR:MAN route by Ryanair starting March 29th. Flying Thursdays and Sundays.

Great news. 3 months is not a huge amount of time to promote a route... so fingers crossed it survives.

• Advertisement

embraer170 wrote: »
    Great news. 3 months is not a huge amount of time to promote a route... so fingers crossed it survives.

The dep/arr days are perfect for weekend/city breaks so hopefully it does well. I recall a KIR MAN route by Ryanair years ago but it got pulled so hopefully a better return for the airline this time round!

The dep/arr days are perfect for weekend/city breaks so hopefully it does well. I recall a KIR MAN route by Ryanair years ago but it got pulled so hopefully a better return for the airline this time round!

I think it was Aer Arann that operated KIR MAN for one or two years. Ryanair tried Kerry - Liverpool but it just lasted for a season.

There also seems to be some expansion on the Spanish routes this summer:

ALC operated from 30/03 to 23/10 twice weekly (Monday/Sunday), and in the 01/06 to 31/08 period three time weekly with a flight on Wednesday.
    FAO operated from 02/06 to 29/08 (Tuesday/Saturday)

A list of scheduled departures in JUL/AUG. The departures area will not be a pleasant place to be on Wednesday and Sunday with 4 Boeing 737-800s in two hours.

MON

07:30 DUB AT7
    14:10 DUB AT7
    15:00 HHN 738
    16:05 STN 738
    17:05 ALC 738
    18:15 LTN 738

TUE

10:10 FAO 738

WED

15:50 ALC 738
    20:05 SXF 738

THU

15:55 MAN 738

FRI

09:15 ALC 738

SAT

10:15 FAO 738
    15:50 ALC 738

SUN

09:00 DUB AT7
    15:55 HHN 738
    16:00 MAN 738
    18:00 SXF 738

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Very good flight times for weekends in Manchester/Liverpool and for those visiting Kerry for a weekend. Would be fantastic if it continued past the summer for matches

The first weekend this is running is City vs Liverpool in Manchester which will probably be busy

Those Thursday flight times will be very useful for United fans for Europa League games also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭john boye

marno21 wrote: »
    Those Thursday flight times will be very useful for United fans for Europa League games also :)

Are we just taking for granted now that they'll still be in that next year rather than the Champions League?

TD Brendan Griffin talking about the route being launched with "with the help of major Government support through @TourismIreland funding."

It would be interesting to know how much Ryanair are getting per passengers (but of course we never will). I would even wonder if funding people's weekend trips is appropriate in today's environmentally conscious world.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

TD Brendan Griffin talking about the route being launched with "with the help of major Government support through @TourismIreland funding."

It would be interesting to know how much Ryanair are getting per passengers (but of course we never will). I would even wonder if funding people's weekend trips is appropriate in today's environmentally conscious world.

They're not allowed to subsidise passengers, it's likely promotion being provided by Tourism Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Where are Ryanair getting money per passenger.??? Cork has launched at least 4 new Ryanair routes recently (Malta, Poznan, + others) .....how much are Cork paying Ryanair??? What about the new Shannon to Vienna and Barcelona???

Griffin is on record about providing €2m this year increasing to €10m over next 5 years to help Tourism Ireland put Ireland on the map overseas including marketing initiatives to promote access to the island.

• Advertisement

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    They're not allowed to subsidise passengers, it's likely promotion being provided by Tourism Ireland

Since when are airports/tourism promotion bodies/local authorities not allowed to subsidise airlines for new routes on a per passenger basis?

My understanding (and I may be wrong) is that they are legal as long as the they are carried out on terms that a private player, operating in a market economy, would have accepted.

https://ec.europa.eu/competition/publications/cpb/2014/002_en.pdf

Advertisement