Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying my first BMW GS 1200

Options
  • 10-01-2020 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

Have a full A licence, have been driving bikes for 15 years primarily as commuter bikes keeping it very simple and reliable: Honda 50 then a Honda Bros which I had forever and most recently a vespa purely for commuting. I also did a bit of touring when I was living abroad but these were one off road trips and the only times I drove a GS.

I've been looking online and the second hand market for second a hand GS seems to be really good value. Any other GS drivers on here, any suggestions for years I'm looking around 2012 - 2015 but even looking at 2008 onwards there are some great GS for very little money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Plenty of them about, a lot of bike for small money but they are subject to some niggles and it might be a good idea to buy from a reputable (?!) dealer in case something throws a wobbly. Nothing wrong with the older models, make sure the bike was meticulously minded and the driveshaft bearings checked. Older models seem less prne to rusty frames and bolt heads, 2013-on bikes rust up very quickly if they aren't kept clean and coated with ACF-50. I'd advise against the 1200GS Adventure because it is so much bigger and wider than the standard model and unless you are 6'6" and plan crossing Mongolia you don't need it. Otherwise buy the cleanest, lowest mileage bike you can find and go have fun on it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,644 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Small money and GS are not two words I've ever associated together. Tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

listermint wrote: »
    Small money and GS are not two words I've ever associated together. Tbh

For older models I think you get alot of bike for your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I had a 2010 Adventure, loved it but as someone said already, its a monster of a thing.

I am 6'1 so I was big enough for it. Took it on some nice long trips in Canada and it eats the road up, took it camping a few times as well but for day to day it was just too big.

Still a whopper bike.

For older models I think you get alot of bike for your money.

Far more value in R1200 especially in Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Plenty of them about, a lot of bike for small money but they are subject to some niggles and it might be a good idea to buy from a reputable (?!) dealer in case something throws a wobbly. Nothing wrong with the older models, make sure the bike was meticulously minded and the driveshaft bearings checked. Older models seem less prne to rusty frames and bolt heads, 2013-on bikes rust up very quickly if they aren't kept clean and coated with ACF-50. I'd advise against the 1200GS Adventure because it is so much bigger and wider than the standard model and unless you are 6'6" and plan crossing Mongolia you don't need it. Otherwise buy the cleanest, lowest mileage bike you can find and go have fun on it!!

As a GS owner for the last few years there's nothing much I can add to this.

My is the 2010 cam head, its got close on 100k on her and runs like a dream. I love it.

It used to be a case that even older GS's went for big money, that's changed in recent years and you can now get a lot of bike for smallish money.

If you're going for an older bike most will say that the cam heads were the best GS engine.

Only advice I could give you, and this should go for most bikes.. Buy from a reputable dealer or private if there's a full service history because when these things give trouble they can be exceptionally expensive (like we're talking a thousand Euro for a clutch).

If you're going to put up a lot of miles, want to carry luggage or a pillion well these things will take you all over the country and hardly notice the extra weight, they're real mile munchers.

Here's my bike, I love her.

499736.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

As a GS owner for the last few years there's nothing much I can add to this.

My is the 2010 cam head, its got close on 100k on her and runs like a dream. I love it.

It used to be a case that even older GS's went for big money, that's changed in recent years and you can now get a lot of bike for smallish money.

If you're going for an older bike most will say that the cam heads were the best GS engine.

Only advice I could give you, and this should go for most bikes.. Buy from a reputable dealer or private if there's a full service history because when these things give trouble they can be exceptionally expensive (like we're talking a thousand Euro for a clutch).

If you're going to put up a lot of miles, want to carry luggage or a pillion well these things will take you all over the country and hardly notice the extra weight, they're real mile munchers.

Here's my bike, I love her.

499736.jpg

Nice...where's the rest of the sheep......:P

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

I'm on my 9th 1150 Adventure. I've bought in Germany and the UK. Look at www.autoscout.de . If you buy in Germany you can get it delivered to Ireland by overlanders.ie . Or if you want to buy in Ireland from a dealer then talk to Mark in Platinum Motorcycles in Bray. He's a very honest guy and easy to deal with. PM me if you've any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

Do it, best bike I have ever owned.

I have a 2009 R1200GSA I bought from new & I now have 270000 kms on it.

It got its first service in a BMW dealer & that was its last one done by BMW as it came away from that leaking petrol.

I have done all my own servicing & repairs on it since then.

Roadcraft wrote: »
    Do it, best bike I have ever owned.

I have a 2009 R1200GSA I bought from new & I now have 270000 kms on it.

It got its first service in a BMW dealer & that was its last one done by BMW as it came away from that leaking petrol.

I have done all my own servicing & repairs on it since then.

Whats your average MPG

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Whats your average MPG

I know you asked someone else, but I'm getting 49.9 MPG from mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

Did somebody say GS ?! Ok, so it's old.........!

48480123717_113df40bdd_c.jpg

48478778457_aec7f96102_b.jpg

A mate recently completed the Big Trail Challenge across Morocco on a 30 yr old R100 GS PD

I believe both he and the bike were both the oldest rider and oldest bike to do it.

499976.jpg

This is the bike being shipped to Spain after completing a grueling challenge through the Sahara.

Its his daily commute too!.

When you get a good GS they're the best in bike the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

A mate recently completed the Big Trail Challenge across Morocco on a 30 yr old R100 GS PD

I believe both he and the bike were both the oldest rider and oldest bike to do it.

This is the bike being shipped to Spain after completing a grueling challenge through the Sahara.

Wow, I was talking to that guy in work, he also uses that bike as a courier. #realbiker:cool:

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

scotchy wrote: »
    Wow, I was talking to that guy in work, he also uses that bike as a courier. #realbiker:cool:

Bonnie's a great mate of mine, a tough narly f*cker of an old time biker.

Next time you talk to him get him talking about his bike trips through central and north America (his European tours are great too).

Bonnie is a legend, seriously if you get time with him get him talking about motorbike trips, facing down bears in Alaska and mustang on some open planes in the US.

He's mad as a brush, you won't be bored for a second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

I love those PD's with the larger tank and storage cubby that's build into the tank ! The nice thing about the old air-cooled models is that they are really DIY maintenance friendly and they still have great spares availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭H_Lime

499976.jpg

Wow! How cool!

Here's my mate Tim 'Bonnie' at 43 seconds and a number of times after

Proving you don't need to have a €20k bike to have an adventure!.. The beady eyed among you might pick out his 30 year old GS too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    A brand new GS 1200 pull along side me yesterday. The absolute size of it!

The GSA will dwarf even a big Harley side by side. They truly are monstrous !!

What does a new gsa weigh in at wet?

• Advertisement

H_Lime wrote: »
    What does a new gsa weigh in at wet?

268 wet. I had two of the 1200 variants and you can't feel the weight when they get moving. It's a very very nimble bike.

D3V!L wrote: »
    268 wet. I had two of the 1200 variants and you can't feel the weight when they get moving. It's a very very nimble bike.

That's lighter than I guessed.
    Just check there and an abs pan is 331kg wet so maybe that's not so bad after all lol.

I'm on my 9th 1150 Adventure. I've bought in Germany and the UK. Look at www.autoscout.de . If you buy in Germany you can get it delivered to Ireland by overlanders.ie . Or if you want to buy in Ireland from a dealer then talk to Mark in Platinum Motorcycles in Bray. He's a very honest guy and easy to deal with. PM me if you've any questions.

Did you not think it was risky buying in Germany, did you inspect the bike before you had it shipped?

Did you not think it was risky buying in Germany, did you inspect the bike before you had it shipped?

Consumer law is really strict in Germany. So dealers tend to be far easier to trust than here. A dealer will even point out minor scuffs etc that you wouldn't normally see. But flights are cheap so it's possible to go out and back in same day to view if you want. Great selection of low mileage bikes there, buy when you have done homework on the bike and never buy in a hurry.

Consumer law is really strict in Germany. So dealers tend to be far easier to trust than here. A dealer will even point out minor scuffs etc that you wouldn't normally see. But flights are cheap so it's possible to go out and back in same day to view if you want. Great selection of low mileage bikes there, buy when you have done homework on the bike and never buy in a hurry.

But you did go and see the bike? Is there much of a saving when you the cost add flights and VRT?

But you did go and see the bike? Is there much of a saving when you the cost add flights and VRT?

Buy in darkest winter. Prices are lower. Yes I saw 20 + pictures of bikes I didn't travel to. The choice there is huge, and they tend not to ride in winter so less corrosion. VRT is a pittance on bikes so I always class it as a consumable. Go to www.autoscout.de and play around with the menu.

Buy in darkest winter. Prices are lower. Yes I saw 20 + pictures of bikes I didn't travel to. The choice there is huge, and they tend not to ride in winter so less corrosion. VRT is a pittance on bikes so I always class it as a consumable. Go to www.autoscout.de and play around with the menu.

Is it specifically Germany you would buy from or just from www.autoscout.de in general/ Reason I ask is Spain would be an easier location to travel to.

Is it specifically Germany you would buy from or just from www.autoscout.de in general/ Reason I ask is Spain would be an easier location to travel to.

Forget Spain. I live in Andalucia six months of the year, cars and bikes are more expensive there. Buy a bike in Germany and get overlanders.ie to deliver it to Ireland. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

One of the lads has the 2019 GSA with the larger tank, it's an absolute monster. Honestly, I don't see a use for a bike that big if it isn't leaving the country on every spin.

• Advertisement

zubair wrote: »
    One of the lads has the 2019 GSA with the larger tank, it's an absolute monster. Honestly, I don't see a use for a bike that big if it isn't leaving the country on every spin.

They do seem big but in all honesty they're a p!ss easy bike to ride. I got rid of mine because they literally drive themselves and are soulless.

My missus who's 5ft9 could throw the GSA around with a full tank in it.

I'll go back to one maybe in the future when the new sh!t-cam engine is proven.

Advertisement