Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

I don’t want to worry you, but... (Trump = Red)

trump%20map.1571153976885.png

And I always liked New Hampshire, home of Jed Bartlett

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I don’t want to worry you, but... (Trump = Red)
    I wouldn't read too much into that when he doesn't actually have an opponent yet.

mikhail wrote: »
    I wouldn't read too much into that when he doesn't actually have an opponent yet.

You’re right, of course, but will he have a viable alternative? No signs of that, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,101 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Kind of ironic, it is my understanding that there is very healthy population of Protestant Gaeilgeoir's in west Donegal?

13_1.jpg

Not that I'm aware of, i'm from there and know of very few.
    I don't profess to know everyone though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Kind of ironic, it is my understanding that there is very healthy population of Protestant Gaeilgeoir's in west Donegal?

13_1.jpg

I wouldn’t say healthy. There are small numbers of Protestants in South Donegal but the best land was in the East around the Finn Valley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Is this a serious question?

Its because those are area's with large republican populations

Google says Presbyterian ministers in the area had to learn the language at the time to communicate with their parishioners.
    Don't know if they were republican or not though.

http://www.louthcoco.ie/en/Services/Heritage/What_is_Heritage/Cultural/Irish_Language/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

EC-EU-enlargement_animation.0.gif

EU Membership 1957-2013

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

retalivity wrote: »
    For Donegal/Tyrconnell, Arranmore and Tory were not planted, in fact there wasnt much land planted west of Letterkenny, thats where all the Irish that remained after the flight of the earls were dispossessed to. Land is/was way too boggy and poor for the planters, so they never bothered with it. Similar story with Mid-derry/tyrone, and the glens of Antrim.
    Hence why it is also, still one of the strongest gaeltachts in the country (Donegal), and there is a strong Gael presence in the other areas as well.

I come from a COI family in East Donegal (Raphoe area) and you pretty much summed it there. I believe the county is about 15% protestant compared to national average of about 3% and this is concentrated in a relatively small area east of Letterkenny. This is also an area where the Ulster-Scots dialect is spoken (even amongst Catholics). Relations between the two communities have been pretty peaceful aswell for the most part compared to our neighbours to the east.

From wikipedia: "There is a sizeable minority of Ulster Protestants in Donegal and many Donegal Protestants trace their ancestors to settlers who arrived during the Plantation of Ulster in the early 17th century. The Church of Ireland is the largest Protestant denomination with Presbyterianism in second. The areas of Donegal with the highest percentage of Protestants are The Laggan area of East Donegal around Raphoe, the Finn Valley and areas around Ramelton, Milford and Dunfanaghy – where their proportion reaches up to 30–45 percent. There is also a large Protestant population between Donegal Town and Ballyshannon in the south of the county. In absolute terms, Letterkenny has the largest number of Protestants (over 1000) and is the most Presbyterian town (among those settlements with more than 3000 people) in the Republic of Ireland.[citation needed]"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭dball

• Registered Users Posts: 14,101 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

walled-world2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

uk-citizens-in-eu.png
    F*ckin tans, coming over here and taking our jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    http://metrocosm.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/uk-citizens-in-eu.png
    F*ckin tans, coming over here and taking our jobs.
    Children of Irish emigrants, coming over here so their parents can live with mammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

In the Philippines, there was an island, in a lake....

Vulcan-Point-Philippines-06-685x561.jpg

on an island...

Vulcan-Point-Philippines-05-685x613.jpg

in a lake....

Vulcan-Point-Philippines-04-685x589.jpg

on an island.

Vulcan-Point-Philippines-03-685x593.jpg

and then it exploded

RJNwbVN.png

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Map of the world’s cities by population, 2020.
    In this ranking, Dublin is in the lower end of the Medium Cities category.

Population-of-world-cities-distribution-estimated-for-2020.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Volcanoes that are currently erupting (source)

active-volcano-map.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Not a map per se, yes I know.

But connected with my last post here on the global ranking of cities by size, here is a time lapse chart of the rates of growth of cities in the world between 1700 and 2019.

It’s especially interesting to see the ranking change rapidly in the period 1850 and 2000, marking the onset of the Industrial Revolution, the rise of the global economy and the emergence of the post-industrial society in the West.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Not a map per se, yes I know.

2080_d472_800.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

just my luck, will be my nosey neighbour who lives to 122 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

1973142_original.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fjimdobson%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F04%2FUSA.jpg

mapa_Europe.jpg

More in-depth maps are found here... and according to these Doomsday Futurists:
    "Europe will experience the fastest and most serious Earth changes. Most of Northern Europe will sink beneath the sea, as the tectonic plate underneath it collapses. Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Denmark will be all disappear and will ultimately create hundreds of small islands.

Most of the United Kingdom, from Scotland to the English Channel, will disappear beneath the sea. Several small islands will remain. Major cities like London and Birmingham will be among the remaining islands. Much of Ireland will disappear beneath the sea, except for the higher ground areas."
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

And Atlantis doesn’t get harmed. Pity about Lemuria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Deja Boo wrote: »
    More in-depth maps are found here... and according to these Doomsday Futurists:
    :eek:
    I quite enjoyed this quote:
    According to a NASA report, “Many doomsday theorists have tried to take this natural geological occurrence and suggest it could lead to Earth's destruction. But would there be any dramatic effects? The answer, from the geologic and fossil records we have from hundreds of past magnetic polarity reversals, seems to be 'no.' There is nothing in the millions of years of geologic record to suggest that any of the doomsday scenarios connected to a pole reversal should be taken seriously.”

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

mapa_Europe.jpg

"Most of the United Kingdom, from Scotland to the English Channel, will disappear beneath the sea. Several small islands will remain. Major cities like London and Birmingham will be among the remaining islands. Much of Ireland will disappear beneath the sea, except for the higher ground areas."

The area shown in Ireland is most of the midlands - not exactly the "higher ground areas" :confused:

?cz=IE_2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

A win for the Kiwis

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Historic and present distribution of lions in Africa, Asia and Europe

9e00f5c001ba41c4844126365e3d0368.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Scarinae wrote: »

9e00f5c001ba41c4844126365e3d0368.png

so sad :(

so sad :(

Absolutely. What are we doing to the place and its inhabitants!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Absolutely. What are we doing to the place and its inhabitants!

Read any one of the threads relating to climate change, the environment or sustainability.

We are showing our inherent selfishness as a species. Maybe we are not to blame, it's simply our natural instinct.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Scarinae wrote: »
    They were in Spain and France as well, though you'd have to go back tens of thousands of years.

Chauve_html_775cbdc6.jpg

Cave paintings of lions from the French Chauvet cave from around 30,000 years ago.
    We are showing our inherent selfishness as a species. Maybe we are not to blame, it's simply our natural instinct.
    It seems to be. Unlike every single other previous species of human you can trace our march out of Africa by the wave of extinctions that happened wherever we went(including other earlier peoples). All previous people reached a prey/predator balance, we didn't, we just kept consuming. When looking at the current Australian wildfires it's sobering to remember that before humans arrived there was a load of animals that were doing fine. Then we showed up and they went extinct very quickly. The Aborigine's ancestors burnt down large areas to drive prey into the open. If humans had never made it there, Australia would look very different today. Hell, humans didn't make it to New Zealand until the 11th century and between then and only a few centuries when the Europeans showed up the Maori had already driven umpteen species extinct.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

FEC6DE54-3802-428F-863A-E12B6CBE8B60.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

Sky King wrote: »
    It's highly suspect.

Ours starts with Sinn which means 'us' or 'we' doesn't it?

Doesn't start with fkin Soldiers anyway.

Our anthem is written in English as it's the language we spoke at the time, it was sung by nationalists and chanted as a marching song since the year 1910. The Irish version is a translation and was not penned till 1923.

Advertisement