Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

This is the same colour combination as my 300SE, Smoke Silver with Medium Red cloth. Its actually a very good colour combination. I'm gonna have a look at this one. The paint does look as though its been tampered with and an ill fitting boot lid is relatively common as someone has had a go at it. The boot floor looks okay as the factory sound dampening is untouched

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

w124man wrote: »
    This is the same colour combination as my 300SE, Smoke Silver with Medium Red cloth. Its actually a very good colour combination. I'm gonna have a look at this one. The paint does look as though its been tampered with and an ill fitting boot lid is relatively common as someone has had a go at it. The boot floor looks okay as the factory sound dampening is untouched

I contacted the guy and got the UK reg number, and checked out the MOT history.

Too many"corroded " advisories on the most recent mot to tempt me.

I am not really looking at my first ventuere into MB to result in major work to be honest. Had enough of that at the moment with a current beetle and fastback resto.

Number is C738 HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 64,887 ✭✭✭✭unkel

+1
    Nearside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
    Exhaust noisy (8.1.1 (a))
    Front Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases (6.1.2 (a))
    Nearside Rear Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive outer sill corroded (7.1.1 (a) (i))
    Nearside Rear Coil spring corroded (5.3.1 (b) (i))
    Offside Rear Coil spring corroded (5.3.1 (b) (i))
    Front Anti-roll bar pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
    Front Sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))
    Offside Front Wheel bearing slightly noisy (5.1.3 (b) (i))
    Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
    Offside Front floor corroded
    fuel cap seal perished

And that was nearly a year ago, MOT nearly out. That will never pass an NCT here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭elperello

unkel wrote: »
    +1

And that was nearly a year ago, MOT nearly out. That will never pass an NCT here.

He says in the ad that it is selling with a new NCT.
    It's going to cost a few quid to fix.
    Four new tyres on it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭oceanman

unkel wrote: »
    +1

unless you drop a backhander :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

oceanman wrote: »
    unless you drop a backhander :)

How do you 'drop a backhander' to the NCT in order to get a pass.... is it at reception, or do you wink at the guy testing the car, or slip an envelope as he's heading to the office after testing....
    Is it only certain test centres you can go to, or are they all 'corrupt'...
    Can the tester influence the machinery in order for it to 'pass' the car, and then change it back for the next customer (who obviously hasn't coughed up the required fee)

Seriously....

swarlb wrote: »
    How do you 'drop a backhander' to the NCT in order to get a pass.... is it at reception, or do you wink at the guy testing the car, or slip an envelope as he's heading to the office after testing....
    Is it only certain test centres you can go to, or are they all 'corrupt'...
    Can the tester influence the machinery in order for it to 'pass' the car, and then change it back for the next customer (who obviously hasn't coughed up the required fee)

Seriously....
    you are obviously new to the game....

I want a decent MB for my first one, not a load of work.

And i would never need nor expect to get a pass with a backhander. I want all my vehicles to be safe
    and roadworthy. Thats why I do all my own resto work, luckily.

Bodywork,mechanics, engine rebuilds, welding ect,ect. So I am not looking for a project that needs
    lots of work at the moment.

Thats why this one does not suit me.

you are obviously new to the game....

Maybe (I'm quite possibly older than you) but if you don't want to mention how it's done here, on a public forum, maybe you could send me a PM, you don't need to mention your name, just give me the details. I've a car due a retest, and I simply don't want to invest the time or money required in getting it fixed.

I really would like to know how 'it's done'.... seriously...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Maybe (I'm quite possibly older than you) but if you don't want to mention how it's done here, on a public forum, maybe you could send me a PM, you don't need to mention your name, just give me the details. I've a car due a retest, and I simply don't want to invest the time or money required in getting it fixed.

Then it really shouldn't be on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭jmreire

I thought the front wing and door colours were a tad different. Could be daylight trickery though.

Definitely the two doors are different colour than the front wing and the 1/4 panel. And as they are on the same plane,reflection wise, you can easily see the difference....i'd be taking a much closer look at the body under the circumstances. The Red upholstery is something else all right, but I'm sure that it will have it's affectionados.. ;););)

jmreire wrote: »
    Definitely the two doors are different colour than the front wing and the 1/4 panel. And as they are on the same plane,reflection wise, you can easily see the difference....i'd be taking a much closer look at the body under the circumstances. The Red upholstery is something else all right, but I'm sure that it will have it's affectionados.. ;););)

Checkout post 4793, if you have not already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭jmreire

kadman wrote: »
    Checkout post 4793, if you have not already.

Yes kadman, I have. Most of the items "advised" are marked "corroded", yet it passed the MOT, so ( without having actually been underneath the car and seen 1st hand the extent of the corrosion ) I think that in this case, the corrosion is superficial, and a good clean down and re-sealing and painting would go a long way. What I would be worried about though, is what is unseen. New carpeting could be hiding multitudes of rust problems, and the reality is, you never really know what you are up against until you start actually working on the car. The colour difference on the Passenger Side , is worrying too, of course. But if this particular model is especially rare ( is it? ) then I guess some one out there will be in the market for it.
    I see that you have a VW Beetle restoration project in progress. How is that going for you? I spent 5 years working in a VW Dealership, so I still have an interest in them.

jmreire wrote: »
    Yes kadman, I have. Most of the items "advised" are marked "corroded", yet it passed the MOT, so ( without having actually been underneath the car and seen 1st hand the extent of the corrosion ) I think that in this case, the corrosion is superficial, and a good clean down and re-sealing and painting would go a long way. What I would be worried about though, is what is unseen. New carpeting could be hiding multitudes of rust problems, and the reality is, you never really know what you are up against until you start actually working on the car. The colour difference on the Passenger Side , is worrying too, of course. But if this particular model is especially rare ( is it? ) then I guess some one out there will be in the market for it.
    I see that you have a VW Beetle restoration project in progress. How is that going for you? I spent 5 years working in a VW Dealership, so I still have an interest in them.

Beetle resto is more or less complete. I am just making new leather seat covers for front and back. Then some superficial stuff.

Also have the fast back nearly ready for final assembly bits, wings bonnets ect re attached. But all the grunt work done. And after all this, I just want to spend a few months driving, as opposed to working on body work..

So thats why I am looking for something that has less of a "corrosive" history than this merc. In my experience, superficial corrosion, tends to get more extensive when you start digging. Corrosion on suspension,steering, mechanical parts, is just a change over to new parts.
    But body corrosion tends to get bigger.

your best bet is if you know someone in car sales, most garages that sell used cars will nearly always have a good contact in the nct center. it will cost you a few quid though...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Gone are the days when you could leave a 50 note hanging out of the ashtray...or so I'm told :P

Gone are the days when you could leave a 50 note hanging out of the ashtray...or so I'm told :P
    yeah, cost you a bit more these days alright.:)

your best bet is if you know someone in car sales, most garages that sell used cars will nearly always have a good contact in the nct center. it will cost you a few quid though...

Ye know.... I retired recently after close on 45 years in 'the motor trade'... and I can honestly say I've never defrauded anyone. I fixed whatever was required, I charged what I thought was a fair price for whatever work was completed, and I honestly stood over any vehicles I sold.
    It's a shame that my 'trade' is still tarnished with the 'cute hoor' mentality.
    I'm glad I'm out of it....

Ye know.... I retired recently after close on 45 years in 'the motor trade'... and I can honestly say I've never defrauded anyone. I fixed whatever was required, I charged what I thought was a fair price for whatever work was completed, and I honestly stood over any vehicles I sold.
    It's a shame that my 'trade' is still tarnished with the 'cute hoor' mentality.
    I'm glad I'm out of it....
    I agree, glad im out of it too....its a snake pit.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1990-suzuki-alto-3cylinder-850cc-/23939990

NWRiNWJkZmRiNDUxMjdmNzI3NzRhOTM2NDQ4ZjUyZGOVQWBfu12jskQbOYFf8yYwaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzk3NjAxODh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This looks lovely, and would make an excellent low cost classic runabout.

I ran one for a year (only sold it before Christmas) and it was excellent. 4 new tyres were €90, timing belt kit with w/p was 50, basic service items were peanuts. They are a great little car, very light on fuel and just very easy to drive generally. Well up for a bit of hard work too!

45852697135_744edd5446_c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭junkyarddog

^^^^^I know some dogs like to chase a stick,but that is ridiculous :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1990-suzuki-alto-3cylinder-850cc-/23939990

NWRiNWJkZmRiNDUxMjdmNzI3NzRhOTM2NDQ4ZjUyZGOVQWBfu12jskQbOYFf8yYwaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzk3NjAxODh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This looks lovely, and would make an excellent low cost classic runabout.

I ran one for a year (only sold it before Christmas) and it was excellent. 4 new tyres were €90, timing belt kit with w/p was 50, basic service items were peanuts. They are a great little car, very light on fuel and just very easy to drive generally. Well up for a bit of hard work too!

That's a lovely looking yoke.

That's a lovely looking yoke.

Its rare to see one in a colour that isn't that silver-ey colour that both of mine were. Looks quite good I think

Theres a surprising number of them left on the roads here, old fella over in Rathmines has a delightfully scruffy 88 one, and I've seen/heard of a few others

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

One owner from new too. I reckon that's a bloody bargain.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Hmm, I paid 150 for mine last year with a years NCT. Although it was dog rough.

I also had a 1 owner 89 example, with 11k miles and FSH, utterly and completely mint - bought for a nominal fee of €80 from the original owner. I miss that one dearly

I was all ready to view a potential merc purchase this morning. Tools lamps,
    mats jacks overalls, locked and loaded good to go, with one last online check to do for 10 euro.

To do check list all sorted (thanks W124man)

Online check resulted in an insurance write off, on 2 occasions over the last 10 years,
    last one being extensive accident damage.

Category C and D write off.

Not what I am looking for. I dont want to buy a potential headache

Well spent 10 euro.

Anyone currently looking at potential merc purchases in the classics, and this might be the one
    pm me for the report.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/volkswagon-beetle/23936263

ZDMxZDg2YzI2NDNmODBmYWU5ODlkOTM5YWVjNjFhOTMHlRFgvMMIRwEBZJnPcrYWaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzk3MzM1OTF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This looks like it could be a bit of a bargain. Same owner for the last 20 years, nice bit of recent work done, €3500

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MaciTrevor

This British Startup Is Converting Regal Classic Cars Into Electric Vehicles.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Lovely Beetle.

Once of not many classics that I think would actually be a good candidate for going electric.

• Advertisement

Beetle has had no work done really. It has no timing belt.

Advertisement