Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish Government discussion thread [See Post 1805]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

I seen a post on Facebook saying that Leo Varadkar needs another four months in office to qualify for the Taoiseach's pension. I take anything on that site with a pinch of salt so would there be any truth at all in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,486 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I see Varadkar is on radio 1 tomorrow for an interview.

Might he go to the park overnight?

Bertie use to do the 3am call to annoy the journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

He is supposed to meet Martin again before the Dáil is due to resume, so either Monday night or Tuesday afternoon seem more likely for a dissolution.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

R1 would drop the interview in that case as they'd be in to election timing.
    I seen a post on Facebook saying that Leo Varadkar needs another four months in office to qualify for the Taoiseach's pension. I take anything on that site with a pinch of salt so would there be any truth at all in this?

Most likely someone getting confused with the Ministerial pension; I cannot find any such requirement for the Taoiseach role.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,014 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

markodaly wrote: »
    a) The government are not and should not be involved in day to day hire of IT staff, that would be stupid.

What do you mean by "government"? If you're suggesting a state body or government department should never hire IT staff, that would be stupid. If by "government" you mean "cabinet" then you'd be correct, micromanaging on that level would be madness.
    b) The government provides the HSE with €17.4 Billion for 2020, enough to update the OS in these PC's.

The total allocation is irrelevant to the issue that the HSE didn't have sufficient IT staff resources to both run the business and update Windows, so they chose to prioritise running the business. Then they spent the scandalous sum of 1.1m euro on extended support instead :rolleyes:

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,014 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So it would be on the morning radio, but miss the print newspapers? irrelevant in this day and age.

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Sunday Times has risked it with a headline of the 7th for an election date.

That's really, really pushing it and I think he'd have to go the Park before Thursday for it to be possible (someone with a better grasp of the rules, please do correct me). FG do seem to favour the short campaign; although unlike the UK the difference between shortest and longest possible is less than two weeks.

Sindo and Business Post saying he'll go tomorrow or Monday and that FG expect this.

Does not have the numbers for confidence motion so has no choice according to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Just on another thread, poster jmcc has pointed out the irony, a TD from Cork named Michael Collins no confidence motion is what brings down the Govt.
    Couldn't help but chuckle when I read that.

Varadkar is on R1 at 1 pm - he'll be pushed on a date or will he make an announcement?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I’d love if Varadkar didn’t really address the election date on R1, then straight away do a Bertie and go to the Aras to dissolve the Dail.

Not because I’ve much of a grá of Varadkar but it would be a bit of drama all the same.

Just seen Von der Leyen is in Dublin on Wednesday so maybe not going to be called before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Sindo and Business Post saying he'll go tomorrow or Monday and that FG expect this.

Does not have the numbers for confidence motion so has no choice according to them.

That really is it. Plus Leo will not go on the 14th. A dyslexic chimpanzee chucking its own feces would be smart enough to know that the 14th won’t work and would correctly blamed 100 pct for it. So not a good way to kick things off. So really it’s the 7th or putting it on a Saturday or other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,139 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Taoiseach is also hosting a dinner in her honour on Wed night. would think he'd wait until Thursday to announce election.

Varadkar saying he has made a decision but won't say what that is until at least Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 39,461 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Varadkar saying he has made a decision but won't say what that is until at least Wednesday

If it’s Wednesday at the earlier it won’t be February 1st as Gavan Reilly said if he went tonight or tomorrow.

Water John wrote: »
    The Taoiseach is also hosting a dinner in her honour on Wed night. would think he'd wait until Thursday to announce election.

He’s still be Taoiseach if he goes to the Aras before Wednesday night.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    He’s still be Taoiseach if he goes to the Aras before Wednesday night.

Media coverage rules will have kicked in and he won't want that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Not sure if it was stated earlier but why would the 14th not work as a GE date?

Would there be potential for it not to be held on a Friday as recently happened in England or is it a given in Ireland that itl be a Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    If it’s Wednesday at the earlier it won’t be February 1st as Gavan Reilly said if he went tonight or tomorrow.

I think generally the Taoiseach announces in the dail he’s going to the aras. It’s more a matter of respect for retiring members etc. It allows them a final speech in the dail.

However given the arrogance of Varadker and FG they may skip on that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

RIC farce:
    It wasn't approved by cabinet.
    So, as was established without a doubt - Flanagan solo'd.
    Well done, well done lads.
    LOL.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Not sure if it was stated earlier but why would the 14th not work as a GE date?

Would there be potential for it not to be held on a Friday as recently happened in England or is it a given in Ireland that itl be a Friday?

Well there is a specific time frame when the election is held once the dail is dissolved which excludes Sunday's and public holidays so February 14th would happen depending on when the dail is dissolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

"A general election must be held within 30 days of the dissolution of the Dáil. The procedure is that the Clerk of the Dáil issues a writ to the returning officer in each constituency instructing them to hold an election.

The Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government appoints the polling day which must be between the 18th and 25th day (excluding Good Friday, Sundays and public holidays) after the issue of the writ."

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/national_elections/the_general_election.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    RIC farce:
    It wasn't approved by cabinet.
    So, as was established without a doubt - Flanagan solo'd.
    Well done, well done lads.
    LOL.

That "collective responsibility" line was gas.

He makes excellent points - the government only had the money to invest in the last 2 years after cleaning up the bankruptcy of the state left by Fianna Fáil.

I see a Fianna Fáil TD was out yesterday talking about how "the country feels nobody is in control and the government is absent" - it's like parody.

How did Irish people feel in 2010 as young people fled the country in their 10's of 1,000's in terror and hopelessness of a failed state?

That's what Fianna Fáil left - a failed bankrupt state rescued by the proppers up of the third world.

Then they talk about homelessness.

Who created that? The source of that is what they left in 2010 - a busted housing market, banks and exchequer and mass unemployment.

The absolute gall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

[QUOTE=PieOhMy;112230747]Not sure if it was stated earlier but why would the 14th not work as a GE date?

Would there be potential for it not to be held on a Friday as recently happened in England or is it a given in Ireland that itl be a Friday?[/QUOTE]

I assume because that is Valentine`s Day. I don't know any other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Dunno if it would work for or against FG to have the election directly prior to the midterm break. There would be the potential for lower turnout if people took it as the opportunity to go on a holiday. Wonder if lower turnout would work against the sitting government.

I'm sure this will be said in the eventual election thread that will be started when the starting gun is sounded, but some important numbers to remember.

There will be 159 seats up for grabs(unless the sitting CC retires then it's 160) and the number for a majority is 80. So 80 is the magic number and in recent times that number has been very far away for anyone. I think the days of FF getting overal majorities are gone and I don't think FG have ever had one(because when they've been in power it's always with another smaller party)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,139 ✭✭✭✭Water John

No one party will come near 80 seats.

• Advertisement

I can see the point that FG were making with the 2 years but that falls flat a bit when FG have been in power nearly nine years and while yes in 2011 the country was in a bad way and that should never be forgotten but at some point the FG record has to stand on its own. They can't keep saying FF did this and that because the longer we are removed from that the less impact it has.

Anyway I genuinely can't wait for the election as I'm a political junkie and the whole election and the count and a TD wins by a personal vote or a party vote and the whole " there's a party X seat in this constituency" I love the history of elections and trends and party strongholds and the like.

Advertisement