Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goals for 2020??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Running Goals for 2020

(1) Race more - Race when not in PB shape - Race when you feel you dont want to.
    (2) Embrace the psychology of Goal Races.
    (3) Not target a lone 5k race for a PB - rather, target a bunch of them.
    (4) More early morning midweek runs to remove the stress of fitting things into the evening. (even 2/week would be substantial)
    (5) Regular S&C and Yoga (2-3 times/week)
    (6) More Strides/Hill Sprints/200's - they help with cramp, apparently. See here.
    (7) Manage fatigue better: Rest/recovery/H20/Slower runs/ Rest days.

Do the above and the times will come.

Times to target:

Marathon: Sub 2.50 (PB 2.52)
    10k: Sub 36 (PB 36.09)
    5m: 28:4x (PB 28:53)
    5k: 17:1x (PB 17.24)

At this stage the Sub 60 10m and the sub 120 HM are on the back burner - Dont think they'll happen in 2020. Maybe 2021 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ISOP

One main aim. Sub 3:30 marathon in Berlin next September. Current pb is 3:54. I expect the 10k, 5k etc to fall as well as they usually do in training blocks.

Current pb

5k 20:43
    10k 43:43
    half 1:39:36

Am down for a 100 miler in May which will be treated as a bit of fun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

1. Distance: 1400 miles - 600 this year off only 6 months running. Previous high 1360.

2. Weight : Target 72kg, Started summer 2019 at 89kg, currently 81kg.

Times will take care of themselves with combination of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

ISOP wrote: »
    One main aim. Sub 3:30 marathon in Berlin next September. Current pb is 3:54. I expect the 10k, 5k etc to fall as well as they usually do in training blocks.

Current pb

5k 20:43
    10k 43:43
    half 1:39:36

Am down for a 100 miler in May which will be treated as a bit of fun

Non-runners reading the last line wondering WTF. Ultra has to be for fun, its too long to not enjoy it a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

chris85 wrote: »
    Non-runners reading the last line wondering WTF. Ultra has to be for fun, its too long to not enjoy it a bit.

So totally this. Getting out on trails and up hills can be miserable on the surface, but you have to be having fun underneath it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Wottle

Explore new routes/trails and bring the camera out more for some landscape shots.
    Stay consistent and make the group long run every week.
    Listen to my body more, took me months to figure out what was wrong but yet still kept pushing, no doubt that made the recovery harder.
    Run more with my wife and my mum has made a return to running, really want to get her to a parkrun, I think she'll love it.
    To revive my training log https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057685240&page=1
    I badly want a pb in 2020 and I think all of the above will contribute in a balanced way. The only one I got this year was a parkrun pb all the way back in February, don't care what distance it's over.
    Excited

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Lose more weight. :o Aim is to add 30-35 PRs and be in a position to do #100 the following year. Keep volunteering. It's good to be on the good side of the local junior PR Mr Big. :D
    Do a few more road races.
    Reduce my PBs further, particularly my 5k and 1 Mile. (When I say PBs, I mean post age 50 PBs. Not ever getting close to my lifetime PBs.)

But yeah, that weight...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

First Goal
    Keep enjoying running and stay injury free, or more to point be smarter and listen to body when needing to rest.

Current PB's
    5k - 18.31 - Target 18.2X
    10k - 40.54- Target Sub 40
    Half 1.32.46 - Target Sub 1.30
    Marathon 3.25.20 - Target Sub 3.15

Also want to race a 5 mile and a 10 mile for first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Treviso wrote: »
    Have a couple of goals for 2020, to improve on all my race PBs from 2019, and actually race some other distances too (4 mile, 5 mile, 10k)

5k: sub 19 (PB 19.24)
    10k: sub 41 (not raced yet but 43.53 from a HM)
    10 mile: sub 70 (PB 74.31)
    HM: sub 90 (PB 93.39)
    DCM: sub 3.15 (PB 3.26.32)

Hope to do 2000 miles as well next year and maybe join a running club

So I guess I have to revise my 5k goal, seeing as I ran a 18.46 today!!

5k: sub 18.30 (PB 18.46)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭positron

Posting this just to remind myself in twelve months what I was thinking twelve months ago.

* Run more. I only did around 600km in total in 2019. Significantly down previous years. In 2020, it will be nice to total up to 1000km.
    * Finish two full marathons, up from one marathon per year (it's always been DCM). This year I have two planned (places secured).
    * A bit more of cycling, at least two 200km+ rides.
    * And if I can stretch it, join a swimming improvement course and get into swimming (would love to do the Boyne swim some day... ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭mojesius

2018/2019 were complete write-offs for me trying to juggle baby/toddler and work and everything else. Things are calming down now. I was FAR too optimistic/unrealistic with my planned 2019 goals so for 2020, I'm keeping things simple:

- Invest in new runners and gear end of Jan
    - Get out at least 4 times a week, every week, regardless of distance/time/speed goals (started last week)
    - Eat better food, I was stopped in my tracks by too many colds in 2019 (I'm looking at you toddler!)
    -Lose that blasted stone.

In terms of runs I'm targeting, just the one so far, Raheny 5 mile end of Jan. I'll see how that goes before signing up to more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,929 ✭✭✭✭event

5k - Sub 21:00 (PB 21:18, set in November during a 10k)
    10k - Sub 42:00 (PB 43:01, same 10k as above)
    Half - Sub 1:38 (PB 1:38:58)
    Full - Sub 3:43 (PB 3:43:22). PB was set in 2015 when I had been running all year. In October I ran 3:43:43 with only 16 weeks of marathon training so confident I can do it this year. No injuries in 2019 though, so will depend on that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Was in two minds whether to post goals for 2020 given the second half of the year I've had! But here goes.

No time related goals for 2020. What will be will be...

1. Most important goal is getting back to consistency. 6 days a week. One long, two sessions. Training since July of this year has been far too inconsistent, partly due to injuries/niggles but also due to the new arrival in the house :)

2. To stop chasing fitness. What this means for me is concentrating on not overcooking the training. I looked back on some of the training from June/July and it was way too aggressive, hence the injury problems. Undercook rather than overcook works better for me. I should have taken Lukes advice at the time - progressing both sessions every week isn't necessarily the best approach especially for someone with the lower cross issues I've had.

3. Keep an eye on that work/life/running balance. Again, towards the end of this year I was guilty of trying to manage all three ramping at the same time. So when life/work ramps, the intensity of the training needs to scale back. Easier said than done.

All in all I feel like I've learned a lot this year. Hopefully I can apply some of that learning in 2020. Original plan was target the limerick half. I have signed up for it but certainly won't be forcing a plan or a time goal on it. I'll see what shape I'm in as the next couple of months progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

1 - Stay consistent. Just keep churning out the 5-6 day weeks and 40 mile weeks. Probably goes without saying, but avoiding any major injuries would be great.

2 - 2,000 miles.
    This will be a by-product of the previous goal. Following on from 1,084 miles in 2018, and just over 1,700 in 2019, I reckon that 2,000 miles seems like a reasonable and logical target. No marathon to inflate the total in 2020 though.

3 - Cross-training. I've paid minimal attention to this in the past, with the very occasional home workout being the extent of things. I've been signed up for swimming lessons which begin in January, so hopefully I'll make the swimming a regular habit once the lessons are done. In addition, if I could do the home workouts a little less infrequently I'd be happy.

4 - Keep on progressing. This is kind of a hard one to quantify, but I want to keep learning about running, absorbing ideas, having a better understanding of the purpose of various sessions and plans. I've learned so much in the past 12 months, and I just want to continue that really.

5 - Join a club. Hmmmm. I'll put this one in anyway - I'm kind of tempted to join a club. Seems like a natural step at this stage. On the one hand I like how things are going for me at present, but then I do admire the camaraderie you see amongst club runners at various races. We'll see on this one.

6 - PB's. I'm confident that these will continue to fall if the earlier goals are achieved. The only time target I have in mind really is a sub 20 5k, although time will tell how realistic that goal is. Otherwise, current PB's are:
    5k - 21:08
    4 mile - 27:25
    8k - 35:58
    10k - 44:48
    10 mile - 1:18:22
    HM - 1:43:37
    Marathon - 3:47:15

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

2019 was a much better year than I could have expected in many ways. I didn’t necessarily gain the speed I’d have liked to but it was consistent and I didn’t break down. Psoriatic arthritis seems to be under control, marathon itch was scratched. 1236 miles for the year completed.

2020 plans, no marathon, focus on keeping up the consistency and getting the 5k and 10k times down. Will probably do a half as well but not sure if it’ll be a target for the year.

Would be nice to hit 1,500 miles. I’ve never done a race shorter than 5k but I’ve run the Goal mile in Talllaght in 2018 and 2019 (7.00 and 6.41 respectively). Would like to get the mile time to 6 or under or at least sub 6.20.

I think I’ll join Tallaght AC this year even if I can’t make that many sessions. It would be good to make use of the facilities and maybe take part in some club events.

5k - pb: 20.18, 2019: 21.58, 2020 target: sub 21
    5mi - pb: 35.26, 2019: 38.15, 2020 target: sub 37
    10k - pb: 44.47, 2019: 51.22, 2020 target: sub 47
    10m - pb: 1.14.03, 2019: 1.26.07, 2020 target: sub 1.21
    Half - pb: 1.37.56, 2019: 1.49.02, 2020 target: sub 1.45

PBs all from 2014, effectively did nothing from November 2014 to November 2018 due to arthritis in two metatarsal heads. If I can get close to 2014 levels I’ll be delighted. Would love a sub 20 5k. Aim to race more this year and add more variety with cross country and mountain running hopefully included.

I think there’s potentially some big gains to be made if I can keep up the consistency and target speed work rather than endurance which was all I thought about last year. Could really do with losing about a stone too, diet has been fairly brutal lately so sorting that out is my last 2020 goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 WesternStorm

For me it'll be:

- Complete my first marathon (entered for Barcelona in March), don't care about time
    - Sub 1.40.00 half marathon, my personal best is 1.49.49
    - Keep motivated throughout the year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

New to running in the last 6 months and starting to head for trails. First trail half marathon this month, and would be happy with anything around 2 and a half hours in it. That would set a bar. As for other goals.

5km PB is 22.20. would love to go in and around 21mins here.
    10km PB is 50.09, aim here is to go sub 46 mins.

No other times I'd be aiming at but id like to get better at longer distance and get out on the trails more. Food, nutrition , train properly and learn more about recovery.

Training has not gone well for the half due to all the Christmas pints but since Stephens day I've been hammering in the miles so we'll see how it goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭ooter

19:30 for 5k this morning, fastest 5k in a long time and something to build on in the coming year.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

I've basically missed the past 2 years with injuries so I suppose the main goal is just to get out and run as much as possible. If I could get back close to my pb's that would be brilliant

1m..... 6 minutes
    5k.....20.05
    5m....35.27
    10k....45.34
    10m ...1.12.44

I'm also going to do a marathon this year. No goal time yet, until I see how the running goes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Last year was getting back at running, did over a 1000km last year and would like to do 1000 miles for this year. Also plan to do Cork marathon and would like to get a pb as my first marathon didn’t go to plan and feel there is a better time for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Running Goals for 2020

* Berlin 2021- Run a sub 2:45 marathon to qualify for Berlin in 2021. Two attempts Seville in February and Dublin.
    * Half Marathon (Charleville)- For one reason or another I have not done a half marathon in two years. My pb is 1:21:00 so would be hoping for a pb.
    *Break 4,000 kms for the year.
    *Stay enjoying running and those I run with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Goals for 201- 2020:
    I want to concentrate more on speed this year and reduce my 5k and 10k times.
    • 5k : 29:xx. I've been chasing sub 30 mins 5kms for the past few years. I know i'm just hovering around the marker give or take a couple of seconds. I want to get properly under 30 mins and make it a regular thing. I think I will feel more like a "real" runner if I see 2x:xx!!
    • 10k: 1:01:xx. I'd love to be able to break the hour for a 10k. But I feel I haven't got a proper stab at 10k's the past few years, they've been run as part of half marathon training. I think my pb is 1:02:55 so if I could take a minute or 2 off it I'll be creeping ever closer
    • Half: 2:19:xx. I'm not really planning on doing a half this year. I've heard a rumour of a half locally later in the year so if that's going ahead I'll do that. I was surprised at my new pb in 2019 of 2:21 so if I do another one this year I'd be hoping to skim in under 2:20 as it's so close.
    • Other: other than those I would like to see how my running improves with the local group I've joined. I would like to try and volunteer less at parkrun and parkrun tourist a bit in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I failed on all 4 of my goals for 2019.
    Time for the 2020 versions.

1: Beat my age to the top of Slieve Donard.
    This (in theory) is getting easier every year. This could finally be the year!

2: Maintain a 7 day rolling average of at least 40km running.
    This sounds relatively easy but I have never managed consistently consistent running as cycling, injuries or life have taken priority.

3: Win a race.
    A low key IMRA race would seem the best chance. Or an quiet Parkrun. (Parkrun is a race, don't let anyone with good intentions tell you differently)

4: sub 17 min 5k
    Never got close to this in 2019, some focus should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭py

1. Parkrun Double on NYD - After seeing all the happy folks who did the double in 2019 I knew I had to get this done in 2020. Might seem like a small goal but it put a big smile on my face yesterday after completing it.

2. Runmutes - 1-2 of these per week. These are new to me but it's going to be additional mileage and an alternative to the bike when commuting. I may eventually build up to a to/from runmute depending on cooperation from the body.

3. S&C - I have the facilties to get S&C done in work so no excuses not to get it done. Have formulated a weekly schedule that I think will work from a time and physical pov.

4. PBs - PBs in DCM and Race series would be great. I will wait till closer to race time and evaluate how the body/mind feel before putting specific time goals in place. Everything in first half of the year will be new distances for me so finishing within time cutoffs is the plan for those.

5. Fun - This is probably my #1 goal. Keep enjoying the training process and everything else will/should fall in to place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

My 2020 Goals :D

- Keep enjoying running! Obviously this will not be the case for every single run & it's definitely something i was afraid of when i agreed to run 6 days a week for my current training but thankfully if anything i've fallen more in love with it! Running helps me physically, mentally & emotionally, long may that last into 2020

- Keep my running consistent! Hopefully i can stick with my 6 days a week running but as is life i'm sure things will crop up so having the knowledge not to chase after miles also will benefit me here(as taken from Mr Guppa on our DCM novice group)

- Never stop working hard! I truly believe working hard for what you want is the only way to achieve it. Pure Grit, determination & dedication will make it all the sweeter too!

- Stay focused! This is something I really want to improve on. I have set goals with races inbetween, so i want to keep the main goal the main goal & not get too caught up in whats inbetween (easier said than done i know!)

- PB's! Last but not least i would love to improve on all my current times - for now i couldn't possibly guess times as I'm still trying to gauge things for myself at the moment! Below are my current PB's;

5k - 21:29 (Tallaght May 19)
    10k - 47:07 (Nightrun April 19)
    5M - 38:29 (Raheny 18)
    10M - 1:23 (FD Aug 19)
    Half - 1:43 (medic Sep 19)
    Marathon - 3:42 (DCM 19)

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

Distance|Current PB|Target|Result
    Marathon| 3:14:55|3:08:00|
    Half|1:29:50|1:28:00|
    10 Miles|68:13|66:30|
    10k|40:20|39:30|
    5 Miles|31:50|31:30|
    5K|19:07|18:45|

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Goals for 2020 are PB's left, right and centre, so no pressure really!

Distance | Current PB | 2020 Target
    1 Mile|0:05:58|0:05:49
    5 K|0:19:44|0:19:15
    5 Mile|0:36:51|0:32:29
    10 K|0:42:38|0:40:59
    10 Mile|1:14:41|1:11:59
    Half Marathon|1:36:38|1:32:59
    Marathon|3:31:53|3:24:59

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭ariana`

First and foremost all the usual goals apply of staying injury free, running consistently with structure, enjoying the training, racing and social side of things etc.

That out of the way main goal is to nail a 10k. I'm not sure I can quantify that, maybe low 47, maybe even low 48 will do, just to cross the line satisfied I did my training justice and ran well. A bit wishy washy perhaps :-)

Other goals are a bit at odds with each other perhaps but a sub 4 marathon (current 4:26) and sub 22 5k (current 22:42) will both be on the agenda over the next 1-2 years.

Best of luck to everyone with their 2020 goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

ariana` wrote:
    That out of the way main goal is to nail a 10k.

Yessssss..... Any race in mind? I'll be watching your training closely ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Not a great showing for me in 2019 run wise, several periods of "mild injury" didn't help, still ill put down a few number and see where we get to in 2020.

1. Mile - Will have a good go at this in the Raheny open mile in April. Anything 5:45 would be a good result.
    2. Parkrun hit my 100 park run (some Saturday in Feb).
    3. Parkrun try to hit 19:59 - hopefully around May / June ?
    4. 5 mile - Anything low 33 and id be delighted.
    5. 10m - Again sub 69 would be a good result,
    6. Half, sub 1:33 ?

Bar the above stay positive and try to get in another "mostly" injury free year...

Advertisement