Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant heating

Options
  • 21-12-2019 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi my landlord's son has moved into the property. He is messing around with the heating turning it off when I set it. The house is baltic. Lanlord was notified and I have evidence and logs of all. Now the heating switches on but the radiators don't come on including in my room where they have no access to. Any ideas how theyre doing this?
    Also legally who do I contact? The house is freezing. The landlord is trying to force me out.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Assuming this is the same property/lease you were referring to in an earlier thread, as it appears you already have communication with the RTB about this tenancy they would be the obvious first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Moomoomacshoe

Graham wrote: »
    Assuming this is the same property/lease you were referring to in an earlier thread, as it appears you already have communication with the RTB about this tenancy they would be the obvious first port of call.

Ok thank you. Yes, I won that tribunal. This is since then, attempts to bully me out...its just in the interim i have no heat. It takes a good while for the RTB process.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Environmental Health section of your local council. Your complaint is no access to suitable means of heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

Ok thank you. Yes, I won that tribunal. This is since then, attempts to bully me out...its just in the interim i have no heat. It takes a good while for the RTB process.

You just have to keep getting onto the RTB. They're your only port of call. And they're probably closed for two weeks over Christmas!

In the mean time, try sneak in a couple of electric heaters into your bedroom and lock the door. I had to do that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Where is the boiler?

Thermostat turned down or pump turned off.

Can you get to the boiler?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

wrmwit wrote: »
    You just have to keep getting onto the RTB. They're your only port of call. And they're probably closed for two weeks over Christmas!

In the mean time, try sneak in a couple of electric heaters into your bedroom and lock the door. I had to do that before.

Why would he have to sneak them in ?. His heating isn't working and he is obviously paying for it in some way. One way or another he is entitled to have a year source in his room

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭DubCount

my landlord's son has moved into the property.
    Thanks

This may make things more complicated. If you go to the RTB, your LL may argue that you are now a licensee and not a tenant. Contact Threshold to get advice on the specific circumstance you are in, and whats the best way to proceed.

How is the electric bill split? Could you get an electric heater to help until it gets sorted out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

You don't give much background information for people to figure out the situation.

At a minimum the following information would be needed by someone to try make head or tail of the situation. What was the nature of your occupancy before the LL's son moved in? How long are you there? How / on what grounds did the LL's son move in? How long ago did the LL's son move in?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭gooseygander

Such a septic atmosphere to live in, deffo not saying you should give in to bullying but is it worth the stress with constant prtb disputes, not getting on with housemates and nobody comfortable around each other. Are you still paying full rent o.p ? Are you looking or contemplating finding a new place ? Life is too short and hard enough without this stress.

Where is the boiler?

Thermostat turned down or pump turned off.

Can you get to the boiler?

Its behind the gas fire..they occupy the living room 24/7 never go anywhere ..i wouldnt have a clue what to look for ..could i get someone in to lookdo you think?

• Advertisement

DubCount wrote: »
    This may make things more complicated. If you go to the RTB, your LL may argue that you are now a licensee and not a tenant. Contact Threshold to get advice on the specific circumstance you are in, and whats the best way to proceed.

How is the electric bill split? Could you get an electric heater to help until it gets sorted out?

No they have confirmed I'm still a tenant not a licensee as LL moved son in illegally.

You don't give much background information for people to figure out the situation.

At a minimum the following information would be needed by someone to try make head or tail of the situation. What was the nature of your occupancy before the LL's son moved in? How long are you there? How / on what grounds did the LL's son move in? How long ago did the LL's son move in?

Im there 3.5 years in a houseshare. Moved son in as a temporary measure but now is still there. Moved him in to take over the end of the lease but then they let him stay there. Ll son there a few months.

Such a septic atmosphere to live in, deffo not saying you should give in to bullying but is it worth the stress with constant prtb disputes, not getting on with housemates and nobody comfortable around each other. Are you still paying full rent o.p ? Are you looking or contemplating finding a new place ? Life is too short and hard enough without this stress.

Yes I totally agree and yes am dying to leave. Problem is the LL is already trying to withold my deposit for damages the son has done and is saying wont repay money rtb determined they owe. I need my deposit to move.

Go in and sit in the sitting room, bring a laptop or tablet and ear phones.....

I wouldn't be tolerating the no heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

DubCount wrote: »

OP don't do this. The landlords son is clearly being unreasonable but using expensive electric heaters when youre all splitting a bill is the absolute lowest of the low in shared housing. If you work out how much more of the electricity it will cost then go ahead, maybe a plug in electricity meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OP don't do this. The landlords son is clearly being unreasonable but using expensive electric heaters when youre all splitting a bill is the absolute lowest of the low in shared housing. If you work out how much more of the electricity it will cost then go ahead, maybe a plug in electricity meter.

Surely turning off the heating is even lower?

Nuts.... They are entitled to a safe place with adequate heating and this is been kept from them....

If needs must then I would be putting in heaters too.

There is likely going to be compensation to the op and rightly so as what the LL or son or both are doing is plain wrong and illegal for that matter.

Keep receipts for heater purchase and bill change for what you have had to use extra on electricity....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

You can get small 600w oil heaters - here's one

It won't burn electricity at a level that would be noticed and you can set it at a comfortable level. Small enough and light enough to hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

looksee wrote: »
    Surely turning off the heating is even lower?

yes, but two wrongs don't make a right.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No they have confirmed I'm still a tenant not a licensee as LL moved son in illegally.
    Are there any other tenants?

• Advertisement

Go in and sit in the sitting room, bring a laptop or tablet and ear phones.....

I wouldn't be tolerating the no heat.

I know...I'm just so tired of it all. They take over the place, there are 2 of them..a couple so its always 2 against one and the LL is telling them to make my life hell.

the_syco wrote: »
    Are there any other tenants?

The LL son is in a couple so just them and me. I might get the heaters...I can't get the heating to work.

They've done fifty thousand wrongs. I've even asked them to stop turning off the heating. The situation is horrendous.

If it’s only the other parties and no other tenants then this definitely would make a right. An absolutely massive right.

Definitely get heating sorted.

How long have you given for it to be sorted in writing?

I'd definitely contact local environmental officer and get them out too.

Suppose making people lives hell can be a 2 way street.

Put up a few pics of the heating set up, may well be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

The LL son is in a couple so just them and me. I might get the heaters...I can't get the heating to work.

Is the house detached?

Thanks for all the advice here. Looks like the Environmental Officer will be getting a call and Threshold are aware of the situation. I will be lodging another dispute.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

wrmwit wrote: »
    In the mean time, try sneak in bring a couple of electric heaters into your bedroom and lock the door. I had to do that before.

Better. No reason to be sneaking anywhere.

Thanks for all the advice here. Looks like the Environmental Officer will be getting a call and Threshold are aware of the situation. I will be lodging another dispute.

How are you honestly getting by at the moment health wise and sleeping etc as I'd gather it's not nice.

We had near 2 years of no heat as my parents at the time couldn't afford to get new boiler etc and my mother was terminally ill and not long left to live.

So horrible hearing what is going on and the way they are treating a paying customer as that's what you are. It's not his home it's actually yours and the sooner LL realise this the better as so many have it in their heads we owe them something..,. Obviously paying rent and looking after the place one couldn't ask for better then that.

• Advertisement

How are you honestly getting by at the moment health wise and sleeping etc as I'd gather it's not nice.

We had near 2 years of no heat as my parents at the time couldn't afford to get new boiler etc and my mother was terminally ill and not long left to live.

So horrible hearing what is going on and the way they are treating a paying customer as that's what you are. It's not his home it's actually yours and the sooner LL realise this the better as so many have it in their heads we owe them something..,. Obviously paying rent and looking after the place one couldn't ask for better then that.

It's been unbelievably stressful. I cannot say the fight has been worth it as the situation just keeps escalating and at the end of the day, you end up being like a solicitor..the RTB should be much stricter i think, the onus is on the tenant to be akin to a lawyer.

Yes they think it's their home that's the problem and I should just leave, but the LL was fine taking money from me all those years.

Very sorry to hear about your situation

Advertisement