Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plans for the turkey, ham or something else.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Posy wrote: »
    Does cooking it breast down not make it flat? :pac:

Don't think anyone asked him that however hope not as planning to try it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We generally get a large 6kg - 7kg smoked ham.

We're really unsure about the turkey this year. We might get two crowns and have one cold or one hot.
    We went for the free range bronze turkey last year and it was nothing special.
    We might try a Supervalu turkey this year using turkey tokens.(I don't think it's a great offer tough). However I think you pre order it and they just hand you one and you might get stuck with something you don't like the look of.

Plans for the turkey, ham or something else.

I only have access to Supervalu now and am deeply impressed with the quality of meat etc these days. They have really risen to the challenge of the "big 4" and are no longer "superbadvalu"!

I was offered a fresh turkey E20 half price
    Boned and rolled. but I have cats who love turkey raw..

. Cannot accept it as they do nto get them in until 21st and no one will be going over that near Christmas. Except one neighbour who has to get her turkey cooked ( small oven!) and gets a taxi from the ferry!

But I would not worry re the quality and ask re choice? They have really moved forward of late.

Previously I have bought a frozen one in Dunnes late November; cut it up and used the breast for me.

The kind manager at SV is trying to get me a frozen bird for my last shopping, ie 19th so we shall see.. else PLAN B; extract the turkey and ham from a ready meal I have in the freezer! I do have a ham hock frozen also so variations on a theme,

My preferred is to make a kind of breast meat "sandwich" with stuffing, cranberry, apple, foil then roast. mmmmmm! Open for the last half hour

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

We're sick of the same old Turkey and Ham and Stuffing we have once a year so this year we have decided to........

.......LOL.......only kidding.

Never ceases to amaze me hearing that line from others though. Whatever about other Fowl instead of Turkey at Christmas, the folks who moan about the same ol Turkey,Ham & Stuffing they have once a year and instead cook a Roast of Beef or Lamb instead just to be different that they probably have every bloody Sunday (hence why its often called Sunday Roast). I'm convinced they are just incapable of cooking Turkey, Ham and Stuffing well and resort to something they know they can cook decently because they do it the other 51 weeks of the year, and just make pretentious excuses for not doing Turkey.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm always surprised how few people seem to like the turkey legs! If I had my way I'd be getting some sort of mutant octo-turkey - the more legs the better! The white meat makes nice sambos but for the dinner I definitely prefer the dark meat.

Posy wrote: »
    Does cooking it breast down not make it flat? :pac:

er no lol!

You cook it bottoms up for maybe an hour, then flip it right way up for the rest of the time. It works very well indeed and ensures it is cooked all through. With a big bird, especially if stuffed, it can be hard to be sure it is safely done all through. A great idea. Done it many times with total success.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Toots wrote: »
    It's the Scarlet Heiffer in Leopardstown (Ballyogan)

I haven't ordered this year's turkey yet so I hope he still does it!

I was in there today and the girl told me it's not available anymore. All their bundles seemed to have boned and rolled turkey, which I don't want. Ordered a 6kg turkey and half ham but I'd say it's going to come in at over €100 this year. They do seem to have the deal online, so might be better off looking there.

Will boil the ham (about 10lb) the night before and finish it in the oven with a glaze Christmas Day.
    Normally get an 18lb turkey and take the legs off. Stuff the neck of the turkey and cook it in a bag Christmas Eve and cook the legs Christmas Day while doing the rest of the dinner.
    Turkey is always a frozen one from Dunnes Stores and I’ll know the ham when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I was in there today and the girl told me it's not available anymore. All their bundles seemed to have boned and rolled turkey, which I don't want. Ordered a 6kg turkey and half ham but I'd say it's going to come in at over €100 this year. They do seem to have the deal online, so might be better off looking there.

Dublin meat company have a 14lb oven ready turkey and a half a ham for €65 - seems good enough value. Never tried it from there though!
    https://www.facebook.com/dublin.meat.company/photos/pcb.3223775967649234/3223775770982587/?type=3&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Dublin meat company have a 14lb oven ready turkey and a half a ham for €65 - seems good enough value. Never tried it from there though!
    https://www.facebook.com/dublin.meat.company/photos/pcb.3223775967649234/3223775770982587/?type=3&theater

We get all our meat from there and have got their €45 offer the last 2 years. Their ham is just so tasty!

Feck. Wish I’d seen that before putting down a deposit in Scarlet Heifer :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Calibos wrote: »
    We're sick of the same old Turkey and Ham and Stuffing we have once a year so this year we have decided to........

Never ceases to amaze me hearing that line from others though. Whatever about other Fowl instead of Turkey at Christmas, the folks who moan about the same ol Turkey,Ham & Stuffing they have once a year and instead cook a Roast of Beef or Lamb instead just to be different that they probably have every bloody Sunday (hence why its often called Sunday Roast). I'm convinced they are just incapable of cooking Turkey, Ham and Stuffing well and resort to something they know they can cook decently because they do it the other 51 weeks of the year, and just make pretentious excuses for not doing Turkey.

I do turkey and ham about 6 times a year. My favourite dinner is lamb. I'm doing lamb this Christmas. Why? Because I prefer it. Can't see what the issue is, celebrate with your favourite food, not what society and British custom
    dictate.

About to email my "final list " to the lovely manager at my local Supervalu; crossing fingers he has managed to get me a frozen turkey as he suggested. But happy with what I can put together...

Their online shopping website is awesome. And pineapples and melons at 49 cents... Utter luxury this way of shopping!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I see Aldi are doing turkey on the 20th. Kinda like the sound of the organic bronze Tipperary turkey but worried about buying and putting in the fridge, 4/5 days seems like a long time to leave it in the fridge, I don't want to freeze it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,193 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I see Aldi are doing turkey on the 20th. Kinda like the sound of the organic bronze Tipperary turkey but worried about buying and putting in the fridge, 4/5 days seems like a long time to leave it in the fridge, I don't want to freeze it.

All supermarkets for the past few years seem to stock turkeys on the 20th and I haven't heard many issues!

All supermarkets for the past few years seem to stock turkeys on the 20th and I haven't heard many issues!

2 days would be enough for me, don't think I'd fancy it laying there any longer, plenty of stuff online about bad turkeys from supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Calibos wrote: »

Why is it pretentious to not like Turkey.

I am having fillet steak, not to be different just because I like it better. There is only two of us for dinner and neither of us like Turkey.

Sorted! Took a couple of emails but a frozen whole turkey will be here on Thursday... Perfect as I can let it defrost just enough to dissect it, then freeze the breasts fast and feed the rest to the cats …..

One of my best ever Christmas memories was watching the neglected collie I took in dealing with a fresh turkey back! Magic...

Have always done this as always the last decade and more lived in remote places. Up to last year I was able to shop over the water so this year is a learning curve for me.

Their fresh ones come in on 21st, and there is no connecting ferry/bus after this Thursday.

2 days would be enough for me, don't think I'd fancy it laying there any longer, plenty of stuff online about bad turkeys from supermarkets.

It’s the same turkeys that’ll be there on 24th!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

To be fair, supermarkets are not going to get deliveries of Turkey everyday. So it will either be kept in their refrigerator or yours.

Granted they will have great big walk in refrigerators (fantastic if you are hungover) but the temperature will be the same :)

To be fair, supermarkets are not going to get deliveries of Turkey everyday. So it will either be kept in their refrigerator or yours.

Granted they will have great big walk in refrigerators (fantastic if you are hungover) but the temperature will be the same :)

THAT brings back a memory!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

The non Turkey eaters in our house have voted to go with Chicken for Christmas instead.

Thought i'd be too late for the local guys, bronze organic ordered, pick up xmas eve, can sleep a bit easier now.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,193 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Even with butchers they'll have Turkeys hanging around with a few days.
    Once you keep it in a fridge at the correct temperature and cook it correctly you shouldn't have issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I'm leaving mine in the butchers until Christmas Eve Eve - just to be on the safe side. I'd be afraid I'd bugger it up storage wise.

Same, I've no idea where to store it. It'll go in the brine on Christmas Eve but before then I'm hoping it'll be freezing out and I can put either the turkey or the other contents of my fridge into the shed.

Same, I've no idea where to store it. It'll go in the brine on Christmas Eve but before then I'm hoping it'll be freezing out and I can put either the turkey or the other contents of my fridge into the shed.

My mother hung the home grown, free range turkey in the shed after killing, plucking and gutting. Father forgot to close door after collecting fuel. In comes Spot, his gundog and helped himself to the head and was attempting to reach the juicy breast when my mother discovered him. Thankfully, for dear father, mother burst into tears at the sight. We still ate what was left. We had nothing else!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Was there a thread on here a few years ago about Christmas dinner disasters?? Like that, popped into neighbours to arrive home and finding dog in the kitchen passed out in a food coma after eating the turkey.... And other such stories?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was there a thread on here a few years ago about Christmas dinner disasters?? Like that, popped into neighbours to arrive home and finding dog in the passed out in food coma after eating the turkey.... And other such stories?

One of my families Christmases before I was born had a "hrm, this turkey doesn't smell quite right..." moment on the 25th morning. Which then turned in to realising the fridge had died at some point early on the 24th or earlier... quite how it hadn't been noticed with warm milk and so on I dunno.

They didn't even trust the ham, which was probably fine due to the amount of salt in it; and my Dad was dispatched on his motorbike to try find if anything at all was open other than maybe Hector Grey flogging batteries on the Ha'penny Bridge.

He returned home with the makings of the largest Full Irish in the world including some slightly ratty looking minute steaks, having found probably the only 24h shop there was in Dublin in the mid 80s! And everyone found it better than my mothers' turkey cooking :pac: New fridge bought in the sales on the 27th, no 26th opening then.

Actually wonder when food shops opening on the 25th became in any way normal. There has always been at least one where I live for over 25 years, has changed up to 3 at peak and the one that's open now is not the same one as the mid 90s, which now closes at midnight on Christmas Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

I'm always surprised how few people seem to like the turkey legs! If I had my way I'd be getting some sort of mutant octo-turkey - the more legs the better! The white meat makes nice sambos but for the dinner I definitely prefer the dark meat.

Yeah, much prefer the leg meat. Last year I got a large turkey leg boned in the butchers, and stuffed it. Was lovely. This year I'm doing a whole salmon, which I want to stuff - any recipes welcome ! ( first non turkey Christmas dinner ever !)

• Advertisement

trashcan wrote: »
    Yeah, much prefer the leg meat. Last year I got a large turkey leg boned in the butchers, and stuffed it. Was lovely. This year I'm doing a whole salmon, which I want to stuff - any recipes welcome ! ( first non turkey Christmas dinner ever !)

Actually, I used bone the leg, remove the sinews and stuff with sausage meat and sage and onion stuffing. Himself loved it, but I wasn’t too keen. I don’t bother any more. Too much trouble.

Advertisement