Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you stressed?

Options
  • 13-12-2019 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

I have a lot of work stress in my life, particularly at certain times of the year (eg end of each quarter when deadlines are looming).

I try to manage it with fitness classes, therapy, eating as well as I can, not drinking alcohol and switching off as much as possible on the weekends. But then there are weeks like this when it all descends into hell in a hand-basket and I'm eating like a toddler, not sleeping and injecting caffeine into my veins whilst having nightmares about not hitting my target.

Then again, I don't have to worry about money or the roof over my head or feeding my (non-existent) kids, so as far as privilege goes I can't exactly complain.

Are you stressed AH? If so, why? If not, how do you manage to keep life balanced and harmonious?

Comments

I went through a prolonged spell of extreme stress a few years ago..

What brought it under control was taking Phosphatidylserine for a couple of months..
    It addresses cortisol imbalance..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No, not stressed. Of course I'm now retired but stress only ever affected me for a short time when I worked. I was advised to learn to say No and it worked for me. I found my hobbies and a supportive family life got me quickly out of the downward spiral that stress can bring on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

yes I spam post here...it relaxes me

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

I'm in the same boat as yourself. Have a lot of work stress which affects my sleeping patterns and social life.
    I find working out helps me to relax, lifting weights in particular. I don't eat particularly well and drink a fair bit at home so that could be contributing.
    I would think a lot of people would be in a similar predicament if they work in a field where they have a good few responsibilities placed on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

Yeah eating well and exercise definitely helps. Fitness classes are probably the only time in my day where I actually get out of my head and into my body and focusing on getting through the class instead of the work stuff can be really cathartic.

Alcohol is the worst idea for me when I'm under serious work pressure. My moods dip so so low the next day after even one or two drinks and I can get nothing productive done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

Too blessed to be stressed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

2 kids under 3 with my missus stuck in a sh"thole of an apartment paying through the roof for it...loads of bills that I cannot afford and it's christmas where everytime someone opens their mouth it costs money.
    Stressed .....is the new norm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Yep, working full time, studying for my degree and a kid with special needs means my default status is stressed. But sure things could be worse and it's not forever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

A bit stressed with my current job but I applying for other places and as soon as I get something that pays the bills - I'm gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

My resting heartbeat registers as a panic attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Your Face wrote: »
    A bit stressed with my current job but I applying for other places and as soon as I get something that pays the bills - I'm gone.
    thats the way to do it, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 24,829 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

bitofabind wrote: »
    I have a lot of work stress in my life, particularly at certain times of the year (eg end of each quarter when deadlines are looming).

I try to manage it with fitness classes, therapy, eating as well as I can, not drinking alcohol and switching off as much as possible on the weekends. But then there are weeks like this when it all descends into hell in a hand-basket and I'm eating like a toddler, not sleeping and injecting caffeine into my veins whilst having nightmares about not hitting my target.

Then again, I don't have to worry about money or the roof over my head or feeding my (non-existent) kids, so as far as privilege goes I can't exactly complain.

Are you stressed AH? If so, why? If not, how do you manage to keep life balanced and harmonious?

So, you don’t have to worry about money, you have a roof over your head, no family responsibilities, no kids ?

Why don’t you quit, take a mini career break a better job where they are not trying to suck every last drop of your energy...

Pointless slaving away for a sham of a company who don’t regard your health, or wellbeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I don't have much stress now, but that's because I have to avoid it for medical reasons. So the need to avoid stress has shaped my life and career, basically: if I was subjected to the kinds of stress the OP is, I wouldn't cope with it well at all, and that's for purely physiological reasons, not out of being "lazy" or having a "bad attitude". I learned that the hard way years ago.

The thing about targets is that they're always moving. If you made x amount of money this quarter, or took x number of calls, the target for next quarter will be x+1, and so on until something breaks. Whether the target is reasonable is not a consideration.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Try managing your stress when you have no time for Gym , therapy, eating well going for pints etc....kids consume all and you pile on the pounds too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I don't recall ever being stressed. I am a laid back type of person and just don't see the point of worrying about things. It's not going to change anything.

Look at what is causing issues for you, create a realistic plan to tackle it, break it into subtasks and tackle each one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Yes. I burn out now and again. I like my life fairly full (of people and all sorts of relationships and experiences), but it catches up with me. Insomnia, suddenly blank mind, zoning out. Nausea. Functioning on autopilot.

Do something to balance your life while you still can, OP. It sounds like you have choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

No

bnt wrote: »

The thing about targets is that they're always moving. If you made x amount of money this quarter, or took x number of calls, the target for next quarter will be x+1, and so on until something breaks. Whether the target is reasonable is not a consideration.

It's true, it's a fickle game. You screw yourself over by performing well and hitting or exceeding your targets as they become doubly aggressive once the next quarter kicks in.

Don't hit your target and you're worrying about your job security.

Do something to balance your life while you still can, OP. It sounds like you have choices.
    Strumms wrote: »
    Why don’t you quit, take a mini career break a better job where they are not trying to suck every last drop of your energy...

Pointless slaving away for a sham of a company who don’t regard your health, or wellbeing.

Thanks guys. Fair points. The problem is I really love my job and enjoy the rush of a fast-paced adrenaline fuelled job, don't really know any different. But it takes its toll that's for sure.

Do give Phosphatidylserine a go for a while..you'll get it on amazon or wherever..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Vitamin B5 50 or 100 is helpful in mentally strenuous and demanding times in addition to a good diet.

I'm addicted to adrenalin too. I suppose the way to be at your best as often as possible, is to find a way to recharge when necessary. I haven't found it yet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It is a mental condition, worriers worry.

Ideally you should occupy yourself with things that don't stress you out ... although...

I do think that everyone needs to struggle a little to attain achievement. Our ancestors fought and hunted in the nude, i think that is part of everyones makeup. We need to fight and struggle for actualisation. It leads to contentment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,829 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Thanks guys. Fair points. The problem is I really love my job and enjoy the rush of a fast-paced adrenaline fuelled job, don't really know any different. But it takes its toll that's for sure.

You are loving a job that causes you stress, you are loving a job that is negatively impacting your health.... enough that you know it, acknowledge it and post here about it...

That’s like me saying... “I enjoy crossing the motorway when it’s busy with traffic, I might get knocked down, but it’s fun”

Take it from someone who knows, you are just a number.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

jester77 wrote: »
    I don't recall ever being stressed. I am a laid back type of person and just don't see the point of worrying about things. It's not going to change anything.

Look at what is causing issues for you, create a realistic plan to tackle it, break it into subtasks and tackle each one.
    Would love to be like that. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Vitamin B5 50 or 100 is helpful in mentally strenuous and demanding times in addition to a good diet.

I'm addicted to adrenalin too. I suppose the way to be at your best as often as possible, is to find a way to recharge when necessary. I haven't found it yet

Isn't adrenaline the chemical responsible for stress? adrenaline and noradrenaline. Lower levels of it would make you less stressed.

No, It's cortisol that stresses you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

I may be wrong but I think a lot of people are stressed, pace of life here, work, kids, bills, traffic. Look at all the madness and stress of Christmas for example. When I’m working I’m stressed trying to organize stuff before I even leave the house, school lunches, clothes, what’s for dinner that evening etc. But being organized and planning ahead does offset the stress though inevitably something unexpected can turn up like something kids need for school or a birthday present I need to get etc. That means more running and racing obviously.

Stress seems to be the new normal some stress is positive if it leads to good outcomes other stress is negative. Long term stress of course can’t be good for anyone.Maybe we all need to slow don’t but can’t see that happening in Ireland anyway.

Strumms wrote: »
    You are loving a job that causes you stress, you are loving a job that is negatively impacting your health.... enough that you know it, acknowledge it and post here about it...

That’s like me saying... “I enjoy crossing the motorway when it’s busy with traffic, I might get knocked down, but it’s fun”

Take it from someone who knows, you are just a number.

Yup, fully aware of that. I'm good at what I do and am financially incentivised to be good, in addition to having some incredible colleagues. What makes me good is my tendency to take my work home and not give up until I've found a solution though, which makes it a catch-22 scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

jester77 wrote: »

My stress isn't worry. I'm the type of person who always believes that everything will work out. I'm just so busy I feel like I never get any down time, I'm constantly 'on' and there is always something that needs my attention and not enough time for everything. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to do much about it at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

eviltwin wrote: »
    My stress isn't worry. I'm the type of person who always believes that everything will work out. I'm just so busy I feel like I never get any down time, I'm constantly 'on' and there is always something that needs my attention and not enough time for everything. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to do much about it at the moment.

You could tackle why you are so busy, anyway of moving things around to deal with that?

Do you exercise? It's great for energising, fit it in whenever. I'm fairly busy most of the time, but I still get to the gym 3 times a week, 2 of those are alway around midnight as it is the only time I can get it in during the week. It's tough when you know you have to get up at 6:30 the following morning, but I've never regretted going for a workout.

Advertisement