Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snowflake teachers poisoning our children's minds

Options
  • 10-12-2019 11:15pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

No doubt we've all heard stories about vegan teachers advising children not to eat meat, encouraging meat-free Mondays, etc.

...but are these stories just urban legends?

Has anyone specific examples of it happening in Ireland? If so, please share the details here or send me a DM.

If this is happening, then it might be no harm to ask the Dept of Education what the official policy is on teachers sharing their food/diet opinions with pupils - whatever those opinions might be. But if it's not happening, then we need to move on and not spend time talking about phantom propaganda.

Thanks.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Hi all,

No doubt we've all heard stories about vegan teachers advising children not to eat meat, encouraging meat-free Mondays, etc.

Has anyone specific examples of it happening in Ireland? If so, please share the details here or send me a DM.

If this is happening, then it might be no harm to ask the Dept of Education what the official policy is on teachers sharing their food/diet opinions with pupils - whatever those opinions might be. But if it's not happening, then we need to move on and not spend time talking about phantom propaganda.

Thanks.

Says the person who thought setting up a thread on an anonymous discussion board was an appropriate way to gather information......

With words like 'snowflake' and 'poisoning' in your post, I think you may be ever so biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭Treppen

Ya it's probably only happening as much as the teacher who re-enacted the crucifixion with the kids' teddy bears.

Anyhow, I thought meat free Friday was a thing fir donkeys years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

Treppen wrote: »
    Ya it's probably only happening as much as the teacher who re-enacted the crucifixion with the kids' teddy bears.

Or Fish on Friday as it was called in our house..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Base price

alps wrote: »
    I always hated Friday dinner in our house cause Mam used to make me eat the fish. As I got older she relented and I got a poached egg.
    I enjoy fishing but seldom take any for the table (catch and release) unless OH or the boys want some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Not too bad here yet a good few hefty farmers daughters teaching here that like a bit of meat themselves so I am told. Not too many snowflakes down these parts yet thank God.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hi all,

Thanks.

Are you a journalist by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭einn32

I remember being in a Catholic secondary school yet being taught about evolution. Always found it strange being in one class talking about being related to apes and an hour later being told about God making the world.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Says the person who thought setting up a thread on an anonymous discussion board was an appropriate way to gather information......

With words like 'snowflake' and 'poisoning' in your post, I think you may be ever so biased.

It's obviously lost on you so here's a link that will help: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irony

Steve wrote: »
    Are you a journalist by any chance?

No.

I'm a part-time farmer and a father to three children in primary school.

Read the original post again to see why I'm asking. I don't care if my children become vegans, but no more than I'd want a teacher bringing in religious, political, or sporting propaganda, I wouldn't like to see any particular diet being pushed.

On the other hand, if there's no evidence of this happening beyond urban myths and a-man-in-the-pub-told-me, then farmers should shut about it. There's more pressing issues to be addressed. A thread here that turns up no evidence might help stop such scare-mongering.

Either way, I'm reverting to my off-farm job and trying to gather solid facts before "publishing".

Am happy to continue this discussion via DMs if you prefer. But you're barking up the wrong tree if you think I'm some sort of vegan-bashing climate change denier.

I'll also share the findings here - if there's no evidence I'll state it on here as well as on social media

When I was in primary school well over 40 years our head master was a mad republican and totally anti British. He definitely had his own agenda. I grew up with that hate as well, not good for a young lad to be brain washed like that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

einn32 wrote: »
    I remember being in a Catholic secondary school yet being taught about evolution. Always found it strange being in one class talking about being related to apes and an hour later being told about God making the world.

I remember doing myths and legends in school and we were learning about Greek mythology, and Zeus was the king of the God's that really confused us all.

Same here, our science teacher laughed at the possibility of God being responsible for creation.
    That was around 1992 in secondary school.

Youll read a lot of threads here about how religiously motivated primary and secondary school s were in the past and still are.

But that's a load of bitter people resentful and undermining the educational system because of their hatred of the church.
    I've no time for the church but it doesn't dictate my moods or do i get emotionally triggered by the mere mention of the church.

We had a religion teacher in Clare who was a priest and was more interested in going out for a Puck around the field than telling us fables and lies.

The only teacher who cursed in front of the students too now and again, and it wasn't at the student's more in gest.

Another time at our confirmation myself Martin, Johnnie, Kiran, Suzanne, Gretta, Loretta, and Threassa decided to sing "Walk in the light" Squawk in the light of God in the light of God

Legendary

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

alps wrote: »

As if fish isn't meat at all.

kerryjack wrote: »
    Not too bad here yet a good few hefty farmers daughters teaching here that like a bit of meat themselves so I am told. Not too many snowflakes down these parts yet thank God.

Are you referring to daughters of heafty farmers, or heafty daughters?....Careful, I'm giving you a chance to clear your good name....😉😉

As if fish isn't meat at all.

I can still smell the smoked haddock..you wouldn't come across much of it now..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

nthclare wrote: »
    Another time at our confirmation myself Martin, Johnnie, Kiran, Suzanne, Gretta, Loretta, and Threassa decided to sing "Walk in the light" Squawk in the light of God in the light of God

Legendary

In secondry school, we had a quick choir put together for a church mass at Christmas. I can remember a few lads instead of "Tis a season to be jolly" roaring out "Stuff the Gaffer's hole with Holy". :rolleyes:
    And the gaffer (headmaster) standing not that far away.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Timfy

I can only speak for National Schools (primary) but we have to have a healthy eating policy which pretty much follows the standard "food triangle. There are certainly no hidden agendas!

Food_pyramid_transp_landscape_640.gif?ext=.gif

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Treppen wrote: »
    The Church always had it in for the poor beef farmer.

All that "You will be fishers of men" business. Why not herders of cattle?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

Well whatever about diets, my lads primary teacher is a rampant republican. He spends much time playing and teaching them rebel songs. Personally, I suspect he's building an army ...

In secondry school, we had a quick choir put together for a church mass at Christmas. I can remember a few lads instead of "Tis a season to be jolly" roaring out "Stuff the Gaffer's hole with Holy". :rolleyes:
    And the gaffer (headmaster) standing not that far away.

Brilliant absolutely outside the box, back when kids were creative and and had no fear of the system.

We had a lot of freedom back then,

Back when we were able to forge signatures and sick notes.
    Laugh in class, copy the homework off the board
    We turned out ok too, we were more wild back then.

Never studied much, mitched now and again.

Still got 400 plus points in my leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

boardlady wrote: »
    Well whatever about diets, my lads primary teacher is a rampant republican. He spends much time playing and teaching them rebel songs. Personally, I suspect he's building an army ...

Lol.brilliant.
    If they start doing drills in the yard and wearing ballys to school you can be certain

• Advertisement

Lol.brilliant.
    If they start doing drills in the yard and wearing ballys to school you can be certain

Back before the influx of social just and snowflakeism...
    Oh no i misread it, its happening in the present...

Don't mention the school, the lefties will be marching with the pitch forks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Parents are the primary educators of their children. Parents & peers are the main influence, not teachers.

Go find someone else to blame..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

kerryjack wrote: »
    When I was in primary school well over 40 years our head master was a mad republican and totally anti British. He definitely had his own agenda. I grew up with that hate as well, not good for a young lad to be brain washed like that.
    Not brainwashing Jack the British continue to occupy our Fourth Green Field!

The likes of Siamsa don't like patriotism because most of them are foreigners and britlickers.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Parents are the primary educators of their children. Parents & peers are the main influence, not teachers.

Go find someone else to blame..

Should be Barry but unfortunately not always is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Not brainwashing Jack the British continue to occupy our Fourth Green Field!

The likes of Siamsa don't like patriotism because most of them are foreigners and britlickers.

Shouldn't that be the Fifth Green Field? Assuming you know your Irish history?

I'm leaving this thread now as it seems to have given an opening for others with an axe to grind on their own interests.

If anyone has examples or evidence of schools pushing any food-related agenda, please send me a DM and we'll go from there.

I'll post the findings--whatever they may be--in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭joeguevara

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Shouldn't that be the Fifth Green Field? Assuming you know your Irish history?

What is the 5th Green Field? According to the song, the 4th Green Field is Ulster. Is the 5th Rockall?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭joeguevara

No.

Read the original post again to see why I'm asking. I don't care if my children become vegans, but no more than I'd want a teacher bringing in religious, political, or sporting propaganda, I wouldn't like to see any particular diet being pushed.

What do you mean by sporting proaganda? Do you not want a teacher talking about their favourite sport and/or team and do you equate it to pushing politics or religion down kids necks?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Hi all,

Thanks.

Farming in Ireland must diversify or die, its really that simple. Half of irish beef farmers income comes through subsidies meanwhile the average beef farmer is 44k in debt, this is a ludicrous situation to try to maintain folks. As long as Ireland remains part of the EU and is constrained by various global free trade agreements beef farming is going to be up against it in this country.

Throw in the fact that the large supermarkets are indulging in below cost selling , the mounting precariousness of the Brexit situation and the fact that methane producing livestock are contributing to global warming (whether you like to admit it or not ) and you really have the makings of a perfect storm if you are a beef farmer.

Criticising school teachers for not being steak lovers is ridiculous. Purely from a business standpoint, given all the obvious pressures beef farmers are enduring and the lack of support they are getting from politicians, it really would make sense to look at options other than rearing cattle instead of attacking 'snowflakes'. If i set up any other business in the morning I wouldnt be receiving subsidies , so why should irish farmers ? there are more kinds of farming than beef farming , time to explore those options folks because the days of the beef farmer here are numbered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Timfy wrote: »
    I can only speak for National Schools (primary) but we have to have a healthy eating policy which pretty much follows the standard "food triangle. There are certainly no hidden agendas!

A lot of kids are screwed based on that triangle so. I'm often in my local Tesco, and secondary school kids are consistently buying large fizzy drinks and big bags of chocolates and sweets.

Back in my day you might have enough money for a Smiley bar, but not the amount of crap that kids are eating these days.

Advertisement