Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best way to stop drinking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

GP would be a first step.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Just don’t open your mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Lock yourself into a room with enough water for 2 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Just get into bed. Turn off all electrics and put out the fire and cigarettes. Have a sleep. Have a shower and shave first thing in the morning. Try and keep that clean feeling going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Sure no point in stopping now .. Sure its Xmas wait till New Years day and sure you'll be grand !!
    ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Are you off work.?

When do you go back to reality?

Shur you might as well keep going until early January at this stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Lock yourself into a room with enough water for 2 days.

Do not do this. Do not go cold turkey after a 10 day binge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Remarkably well typed for someone on a ten day session who should be rattling and shaking like a dog taking a sh1te.

1/10 for effort but on the off chance that any of that could be real,go to your gp and ask to be medically detoxed on Librium to reduce the chance of suffering a seizure.

• Advertisement

Sounds like you don't think you can stop by yourself, so your first port of call is to get help doing it. Go to your GP for help, and then garner support. Tell people you're going to stop, especially the people you think will be receptive rather than try persuade you you're fine.

Consider something like AA too. Hang onto the resolve you feel now, and good luck. It's a brave move to take control when you feel you're losing control, and I'm sure you'll be very glad you did it. Next year could be your best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

AA is for quitters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Remarkably well typed for someone on a ten day session who should be rattling and shaking like a dog taking a sh1te.

1/10 for effort but on the off chance that any of that could be real,go to your gp and ask to be medically detoxed on Librium to reduce the chance of suffering a seizure.

In fairness...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Go to mass. If they offer you the chalice, just say you want the bread.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

OP, why do you feel the need to keep drinking? Are you trying to escape from something or have you formed a habit now already?

Try get some non-alcoholic beers. They will rehydrate you fairly well and keep the taste of beer in your mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

In fairness I'm still drunk now so no shakes until the drink has left my system. That was my point about finding it hard to stop. I've a bottle of vodka here and 16 cans, so no trembling for a couple of days.

And my Boards account is 6 years old with nearly 3,000 posts. I've never trolled on here and plenty of my posts are well enough written. Just because I can spell doesn't mean I'm not drunk as a skunk.

Have you no work to go to?

How do you feel? What do you want to do?

What is in your life day to day?

Stopping drinking is usually a sure fire way to stop drinking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

if u cant pour the drink down the loo right now ur an alcoholic, switch to coffee and grab a meeting, they're on twice a day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

In fairness I'm still drunk now so no shakes until the drink has left my system. That was my point about finding it hard to stop. I've a bottle of vodka here and 16 cans, so no trembling for a couple of days.

And my Boards account is 6 years old with nearly 3,000 posts. I've never trolled on here and plenty of my posts are well enough written. Just because I can spell doesn't mean I'm not drunk as a skunk.

Go to your gp and ask them to detox you for your own safety.try aa meetings then and if that fails try a treatment program.
    Loads available.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭CFlat

Jazsus lads he said he was on the beer for 10 days not 10 years. Librium? AA? GP?

Look, assuming you're just pissed off with something and you went on a bender to forget about it which is what this sounds like to me, tomorrow morning just stay in bed all day. You need to eat but just go back to bed after you've done that. Eat well though. Stay warm in bed, electric blanket, hot water bottle whatever makes you comfortable. The following day you'll feel better and so on. I think you just need to snap out of whatever this thing is you're going through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Pour your booze down the sink and go order yourself some food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

If you can still pronounce your username, you're alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Are you skint yet ? Having no money is a good reason to stop the 'binge' All good things come to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Bit of fecking will power is all anyone needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

eh this after hours so shut up and have another drink ya pansy!!

Plenty of time to sober up next year.... maybe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

actually, u should just relax and enjoy yourself, feck it dude, just be safe, u wont b at this ****e forever so enjoy it, you'll look back fondly one day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

No. I've enough to continue the binge for 6 months at least. I won't, but money isn't the issue.

Have you any friends or people close to you that you can talk to? Talking face to face with someone will help, as opposed to us online folk. We can offer advice but you can still hide from us. Talk to someone man. it will help.

I just can't snap out of the rut. I'm not generally a person who gets down in the dumps. But I really can't seem to stop the binge. Any advice appreciated. :)

A straight 10 days of heavy drinking would be a good reason to take the advice many have already given of going straight to your GP. Maybe it is an over reaction but better safe than sorry right? Tell him exactly how much you have had - no lying or underestimating it - and just get his advice on a detox plan if he offers any.

After that the idea of pouring all you have away is a good one. If you can not bring yourself to do it - that should be informative to you.

As for stopping drinking I would fling out advice to novel length on that and bore you stupid but the two things I always say to people to start with are:

1) People will often recommend AA. I think 2 people already have on this thread. Although AA works for some people but it has a very very bad record over all. So please be aware there are _many_ organisations like AA and some very unlike AA. So if AA does not work for you or seem useful to you - do not throw your hands up entirely at the idea of going to such groups. Try others. Several others. If you got a bad tailored suit you would not - I guess - simply give up on wearing all clothes ever. Think of it like that. Try different suit makers and even try different outfits.

2) Nature abhors a vacuum according to the old saying. Many people make the mistake of trying to delete alcohol from their lives and nothing else. This leaves a hole in their life. Something has to fill that hole. And more often than not in my experience - it is filled by alcohol coming back. If you want to take alcohol out of your life partially or completely then you need to replace it with something. Something you enjoy and that engages you. Preferably more than one thing with at least one of them being in the home and one of them being out of it. And at least one of them being with a group of people who will support you too if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

LaFuton wrote: »
    if u cant pour the drink down the loo right now ur an alcoholic, switch to coffee and grab a meeting, they're on twice a day

Molesworth Hall has five a day. The Crypt in Monkstown has four.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Get a bag of weed.

Advertisement