Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

$120.000 Banana.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Did he ate it skin and all, or was it wearing pajamas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sure Andy Warhol's banana feltched a nearly 100k and that wasn't even a real fruit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Sure Andy Warhol's banana feltched a nearly 100k and that wasn't even a real fruit.

I always though Andy Warhol was a real...........

I can’t understand the art or what the product is they buy for 120000 but let them at it I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

This Shít Is Bananas...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

This Shít Is Bananas...

B A N A N A S

• Registered Users Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A fool and his money are soon parted. Obviously whoever bought them (there were three versions) had money to spare so its just being circulated a bit. No harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Thanks! I did need a quick reminder as to why I don't understand some 'art'. WTactualF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Theres no craft in artistic expression anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

looksee wrote:
    A fool and his money are soon parted. Obviously whoever bought them (there were three versions) had money to spare so its just being circulated a bit. No harm.

How would the s fool get the money in the first place? Asking for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

How would the s fool get the money in the first place? Asking for a friend.

Born into it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

*gone floggin banana art at the dalkey poser farmer market

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

What happens when it rots? Or did the 'artist' preserve it in glycerine or something?

How did they relocate this work of art? Unpeel, transport and tape it up in its new home?

Reminds of the €120 plank of wood in Dunnes.

W1sh I had the brass neck to charge like that for my work!

It's been eaten already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

What makes it money-laundering?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

They bought and ate it. Had to be some kind of fetish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

What happens when it rots? Or did the 'artist' preserve it in glycerine or something?

How did they relocate this work of art? Unpeel, transport and tape it up in its new home?

Reminds of the €120 plank of wood in Dunnes.

W1sh I had the brass neck to charge like that for my work!

The banana can and has been replaced without affecting the "originalness"of the work according to something I read last night, think it was the BBC.

Not sure if this was decided before or after yer man ate the original banana and the artist had to come up with something to still get his money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

looksee wrote: »

Fair play to him - if someone can convince people to pay him $120k for 2 mins work and 30c worth of materials, more power to him
    It's been eaten already.

I look forward to the follow up, when he poops the banana out and sells that for $150k.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

There's always money in the banana stand

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

What makes it money-laundering?
    There's a website called Reddit where every time expensive art is discussed people will claim that it's all a front for money laundering by the millionaire classes. This will be repeated as "fact" ad infinitum across many other different websites, even though the commentator doesn't have either a shred of evidence or a clue about what they're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Things Boards doesn't understand. Monday Edition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    There's a website called Reddit where every time expensive art is discussed people will claim that it's all a front for money laundering by the millionaire classes. This will be repeated as "fact" ad infinitum across many other different websites, even though the commentator doesn't have either a shred of evidence or a clue about what they're talking about.

Pretty high profile for a money-laundering operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Awful sh**e like this is why most sensible people think art is very overratted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Pretty high profile for a money-laundering operation.
    You're right. That won't stop the barstool experts on the internet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    You're right. That won't stop the barstool experts on the internet though.

The art trade has been used to launder money for decades. There are lots cases that have come before the courts in several countries.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Sounds mad but 120k is probably pennies to some people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Definitely a case of The Emperor's New Clothes. Are these people actually crazy. The most stupid news I'v heard all year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i mean, it's one banana, michael. how much could it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

When they sold cans of human **** for ~70K USD I knew the whole "modern art" thing was an absolute load of bollocks.

Tossers **** each other off pretending to look smart...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The art trade has been used to launder money for decades. There are lots cases that have come before the courts in several countries.
    Indeed. Ditto for the antiques and antiquities trade. It's a substantial enough part of the business(along with fakery) and well known within the trade(I know/have known a couple of fine art dealers). It rarely involves high profile stuff for obvious reasons, but even there it can happen. It's a very handy and often "tax free" way to move money around. It's also a good way to hide ill gotten gains. EG if I have to clean some money and buy an antique or minor, but agreed value work of art I can easily claim to have inherited it or "just had it laying around your honour". Brand new gold plated Ferraris are harder to explain :D Any biz with that kind of high value stock with pretty solid investment potential tends to attract the dodgier end.

Modern "art" like this example though wouldn't be in play. It's more in the older mid range and more permanent agreed artistic/monetary value under the radar stuff. Same goes for fakery. Trying to flog a Picasso say attracts a lot of attention, but a "minor" fauvist say is a much safer bet. This banana level stuff is more about willie waving for very wealthy people, or dealers claiming certain "values" hoping to push prices up for a particular artist, or yep eejits with more money than sense.

As for its artistic value? Much of modern art, or at least the dafter stuff that makes the papers is just channelling Duchamp without the historical context within art history, for the real want of better ideas on the part of the "artist" and that it's daftly easier to do. It was evocative and interesting and questioned the philosophy of viewing and value when Duchamp and others did it first, but nowadays nearly a century on it's decidedly old hat and unimaginative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Dadaism was a mistake.