Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things That Trialvilly Annoy You.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Archeron

In harvey Norman today, looking to buy a cheap tablet. Find one at the right price, ask for one to buy, but no, that's just sold out on Thursday last, sorry. Okay, what about this one, next price up, sales dude laughs, a haha sure that's been sold out since black Friday.

Well then why the f*ck do you have these things on display when you've no stock and you know you've no stock?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I don't get why they do it. Other places do it also and it almost confuses me and I leave without buying anything.
    What's worse is when there's loud music and very dim lights and you can barely see the products.
    That's to your hearing what Lush is to your sense of smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

New Home wrote: »

I think that's the place with the most overly pushy sales assistants! I don't thinknid ever go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

New Home wrote: »

I went into a Bodyshop shop once and left very quickly due to the overpowering smell

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

LUSH shops are crazy pungent and when I went into the Dublin store recently people were packed in like a tin of sardines while the skylight or ceiling tiles or something leaked all over them

LUSH products have SLS in them as well which is a TA. Used to love their Potion and Ghost body milk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭MMyers

I think that's the place with the most overly pushy sales assistants! I don't thinknid ever go back.

I work for Lush and yes we can be overly pushy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    But the word baby is gender neutral???

I just try to tune out when this kind of nonsense arises

Why the **** are people going by they? You're either a male or female... Have aliens suddenly landed?

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Why the **** are people going by they? You're either a male or female... Have aliens suddenly landed?

A trans m2f friend advocates for the use of "it" in place of a 'gender pronoun'. I think they have a blog post about it, blogs called transwaffle. They explain the reasoning for using "it" but personally I find the idea horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

A trans m2f friend advocates for the use of "it" in place of a 'gender pronoun'. I think they have a blog post about it, blogs called transwaffle. They explain the reasoning for using "it" but personally I find the idea horrible.

Stupid. I thought switching sex would mean your now called the opposite noun or whatever. So used to be a male is now female but no it's IT. As in IT the clown like.

That's my view. I think they over think it.

• Advertisement

Travelling stupidly early and trying to stay awake all day so I sleep tonight and am alert for a short course I'm starting tomorrow. I was just on the phone to someone and was told I was speaking gibberish. For a second I thought he was talking about a foreign language.

I.am.so.tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Being small is always an annoyance but right now I'm about 2 inches too short to lower myself out of the attic safely. It would be fine if the floor wasn't laid flush with the opening and I had something to grip.

Now I have to wait for himself to put stuff up in the attic and he inspects every single box.....I'm a hoarder so don't really blame him.

He refuses a stira for same reasons.

Trivially annoyed I can't squirrel stuff away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Every single time I go into my local Dunnes Stores I end up getting delayed at the checkout by one thing or another.

Yesterday while queuing up at the express checkout where the server was on her own with a long queue of people, a manager comes along and holds up everything by interrupting her to get €150 in €10 notes.

Today is was some bint with a big fistful of money off vouchers causing a big hold up at the checkout. She was adamant that she had €27 worth of vouchers while the checkout girl said she had €22. When the back and forth bickering finally ended and the bint left I shoved all my shopping into my bags in a foul temper and stormed off. This is at least the 5th time something like this has happened in the last month. I wouldn't even bother going to the Dunnes in question anymore if it wasn't only 2 minutes from my house :( The Lidl is at the other side of town but I'll do most of my shopping there instead from now on. Middle aged/elderly auld wagons and s big pile of money off vouchers are a nightmare combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Over a week ago I TA'd about an artist letting me down with a piece I got commissioned. Well a week on, and a few texts and emails later, and he seems to have vanished from the face of earth. No idea when/if the portrait will be done before Christmas.

These people may be gifted with paint and brushes but they have no business acumen whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Over a week ago I TA'd about an artist letting me down with a piece I got commissioned. Well a week on, and a few texts and emails later, and he seems to have vanished from the face of earth. No idea when/if the portrait will be done before Christmas.

These people may be gifted with paint and brushes but they have no business acumen whatsoever.

I hope you didnt pay the full amount to them

Artists are notoriously flaky and tbh I struggle to merge art and business. Once you start charging, it feels like you're working on a production line, it hurts the spontaneity and creativity. But charge you he did so he has to have the integrity to fulfil the commission.

Always ta'd me to see people so busy looking for what they could get, they don't see and value and enjoy what they have. People seem very confused about what's really important. In life and love I mean.

Shouldn't care, as I do value, and I am valued, but it niggles me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Artists are notoriously flaky and tbh I struggle to merge art and business. Once you start charging, it feels like you're working on a production line, it hurts the spontaneity and creativity. But charge you he did so he has to have the integrity to fulfil the commission.

'I refuse to work for the MAN' sort of culture. To answer your previous question, paid the deposit only so thankfully only half as a bad as it could be.

Might be. Sometimes it's just hard to work to someone else's vision and timescale. Doesn't excuse his behaviour one bit though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I don't want to go to work tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Echo the comment re flaky artists. It's like as if being organised or having a business sense is "uncool.....maaaaaan"

I think that's more crusty hippy than artists to be fair...we're not all wastes of space. But you can't be good at everything and juggle everything all the time. He does sound like a Messer of course

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭apieceofcake

People talking (or should I say whispering) the whole way through a film in the cinema. Infuriating and so rude.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

'Hear hear' not fecking 'here here' ... think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Might be. Sometimes it's just hard to work to someone else's vision and timescale. Doesn't excuse his behaviour one bit though.

Then dont take the money,you cant have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Echo the comment re flaky artists. It's like as if being organised or having a business sense is "uncool.....maaaaaan"

Being overly commercial isn't cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I had the opposite issue as an artist with a person with supposedly good business acumen.

He commissioned 8 pieces i guess you would call it a mix of graphic design and art. So i do 8 pieces for an agreed price and its done well ahead of time. I sent them he loves them and wants them all. (which set alarm bells off usually a client would want some small change) it just made it seem unrealistic.

So he sends an email asking for an invoice. I send it out.

Then nothing ..then i notice something odd ....he is using artwork by a REALLY famous illustrator ...whom I am familiar with an know a tiny bit as an acquaintance ..its unlikely he has the funds to use this illustrator as they are well known internationally and award winning and i am not sure they would let him use their work anyway its not the right branding for them.

So i ask the illustrator in question has he given permission for the guy to use his work. He says no and thanks me for telling him and he will contact the guy who owns the site about using his work without permission. A few days later the guy takes the artwork off his site. So i am guessing now I think this guy is a time waster.

I send one more email saying he can pay me within two weeks or the deal is off.

He sends me this CRAZY long email telling me how good his business is ...how much traffic it generates but he has just bought a house recently and is low on cash ..and can i wait until he has his ducks in a row. Bear in mind i think the work only came to about 400 euro...so i mean its quite obvious he was never ever serious and just intended to nick people's work from places online for as long as he didn't get caught.

I politely say no and i regret that he didn't tell me sooner as i had wasted a lot of time on doing the work for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

A 2 Litre bottle of coke was in around the €2 mark 2-3 years ago. Now for a 1.75 Litre bottle of Coke is €2.19 roughly. Less for more. What the actual ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A 2 Litre bottle of coke was in around the €2 mark 2-3 years ago. Now for a 1.75 Litre bottle of Coke is €2.19 roughly. Less for more. What the actual ****.

Tell me where your getting these 1.75L bottles. All I see is 1.5L bottles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Being overly commercial isn't cool.

There’s no need for the artist to compromise their vision or make their style more appealing to the masses. Just don’t leave people waiting for replies or updates. Try and stick to a deadline and if a delay is likely, let your customer know in advance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement