Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builders everywhere

Options
  • 07-12-2019 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

There seems to be an absolute overrun of builders in town these days. Not the decent mannerly ones like you used to get in town but the type of roll up smoking scaffolding hammering ruffians that you used to only see in new house builds.

I’m a cultured guy but I can rough it with the best of them. The other day there was six people queuing on one side for two coffee machines in a corner shop/deli then a chap with a neck tattoo walks up to the second machine and starts queing right when the fella ahead of him finishes.

I’m biting my tongue, I’m shaking with fury but the fella has a 6 inch reach advantage about two teeth and 6 or 7 stone on me all I can do is give him a dirty look and he turns sees me and says like we are idiots, “why are six of yous queing for that machine when this one is empty”.

I was weighing up whether to just hit him once and take my beating or not when he just toddled off like he had actually helped us.

A lot of them spit on the street where they stand. Then just stand beside it like some sort of gorilla that’s proud to have no manners. They beep at my when I cycle because I’m not in a cycle lane.

Some of them wear tracksuit bottoms with work boots.

I seen a table of them in starbucks the other day getting up and just leaving all their crap on the table for the poor barista to clean. Some of it was tinfoil off sandwiches they brought in with them.

Their dusty trousers left marks on the seat. I asked the barista why he puts up with them but he didn’t seem bothered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

FFS.... generalize much?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

BDI wrote: »
    There seems to be an absolute overrun of builders in town these days. Not the decent mannerly ones like you used to get in town but the type of roll up smoking scaffolding hammering ruffians that you used to only see in new house builds.

I’m a cultured guy but I can rough it with the best of them. The other day there was six people queuing on one side for two coffee machines in a corner shop/deli then a chap with a neck tattoo walks up to the second machine and starts queing right when the fella ahead of him finishes.

I’m biting my tongue, I’m shaking with fury but the fella has a 6 inch reach advantage about two teeth and 6 or 7 stone on me all I can do is give him a dirty look and he turns sees me and says like we are idiots, “why are six of yous queing for that machine when this one is empty”.

I was weighing up whether to just hit him once and take my beating or not when he just toddled off like he had actually helped us.

A lot of them spit on the street where they stand. Then just stand beside it like some sort of gorilla that’s proud to have no manners. They beep at my when I cycle because I’m not in a cycle lane.

I seen a table of them in starbucks the other day getting up and just leaving all their crap on the table for the poor barista to clean. Some of it was tinfoil off sandwiches they brought in with them.

Their dusty trousers left marks on the seat. I asked the barista why he puts up with them but he didn’t seem bothered.
    Those ruffian types built the pavements you walk on and the buildings you frequent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

ShadyAcres wrote: »
    Those ruffian types built the pavements you walk on and the buildings you frequent.

Well why can’t they do it with manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The builders working next door have thick Wicklow accents. Maybe because they are from Wicklow. Maybe because we are in deep Wicklow.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yep....the boom (bubble) is back, baby!!

Nowhere near enough houses and apts being built to meet the shortage...but all those 60s and 70s office blocks being torn down are being replaced by bigger glass boxes.

Have breakfast rolls made a comeback in shops yet?

• Advertisement

LirW wrote: »
    The builders working next door have thick Wicklow accents. Maybe because they are from Wicklow. Maybe because we are in deep Wicklow.

Probably from Mayo. Plenty of Mayo students start talking like they are from d4 or posh Wicklow once they are here a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Any sane person can only assume this is a piss take.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Return of the Aonghus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Don Joe

Fool of a thread OP.
    Bit of an ignorant dickhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Worse is, they probably earn waaaaay more than you :D

• Advertisement

Probably on twice what I’m on and spend it on runners and other shiny stuff that doesn’t hold its value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Not now that there is so many of them.
    Ten a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

Cos he had a neck tat? All it would take is someone to say, hey we are all queuing up here. get in line.

BTW, you are no Angus von Bismarck

• Registered Users Posts: 24,810 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

This behavior drives me absolutely batshît crazy...

It’s majorly prevalent in airports, I’m about number 6 in the slow moving security screening Q... the bloke in front of me he keeps messaging on his phone and looking back... then three other lads start pushing up beside the Q... “sorry, I’m with this lad here” *pointing* now I’m number 9.... I’ve 12-15 more minutes to be stuck in a Q when I should be already sitting down in front of a pint... wañkers...

Notdeco wrote: »
    Cos he had a neck tat? All it would take is someone to say, hey we are all queuing up here. get in line.

BTW, you are no Angus von Bismarck

I seen one of them the other day buying a box of painkillers ahead of me. He walked outside and took three all at once.

It says on every box ever to take two at a time. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Probably on twice what I’m on and spend it on runners and other shiny stuff that doesn’t hold its value.

Jealousy must be an awful bitter pill to swallow

Jealousy must be an awful bitter pill to swallow

These lads would take three jealousy pills at a time even if the box said take two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

If you're biting your tongue and shaking I suggest you lay off the coffee for a while.

auspicious wrote: »
    If you're biting your tongue and shaking I suggest you lay off the coffee for a while.

I will kick my coffee habit as soon as I sort out this builder mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,191 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The reason why the barista didn't mind them is because generally lads like this are hassle free apart from picking up a few papers, cups,etc.

• Advertisement

The reason why the barista didn't mind them is because generally lads like this are hassle free apart from picking up a few papers, cups,etc.

I seen one looking at a girl like he wanted to rip her jocks off right there in the centra. Like some kind of feral dog.

I’d say she was terrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,504 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

They are all drawing the dole as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

If I see one of them throwing their change in the bin that's when I'll be getting properly worried... and also quite relieved that soon i'll be able to buy a house for pennies

I seen one looking at a girl like he wanted to rip her jocks off right there in the centra. Like some kind of feral dog.

I’d say she was terrified.

She may have being terrified of the builder and intimidated by your superiority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Op you sound like a right snowflake..

She may have being terrified of the builder and intimidated by your superiority.

I just hung back, making eye contact letting her know I could rescue her if the **** hit the fan. I was terrified. I think she sensed that because she just whispered to her friend and they both giggled and walked off.

Thank God.

I just hung back, making eye contact letting her know I could rescue her if the **** hit the fan. I was terrified. I think she sensed that because she just whispered to her friend and they both giggled and walked off.

Thank God.

I'd say they were whispering and giggling about you!

I'd say they were whispering and giggling about you!

I wouldn’t say so. I’m not really much of a joker. I used to try to be but people used to just get annoyed at me so I decided to just be a serious person and was fairly successful with it.

I wouldn’t say so. I’m not really much of a joker. I used to try to be but people used to just get annoyed at me so I decided to just be a serious person and was fairly successful with it.

Yes, that's why they were laughing at you because your so serious and a judgmental and you aren't hiding it very well.

• Advertisement

Yes, that's why they were laughing at you because your so serious and a judgmental and you aren't hiding it very well.

Hiding what?

I just put boxers and trousers over it. I don’t play hide and seek with it in centra.

Advertisement