Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jessica Yaniv refused service at gynaecologist's office

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Does that happen much?

Only when people indulge in reductio ad absurdum

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Complete false equivalency.

And not even remotely related to the post you quoted. Bizarre.

I don't think it is at all a false equivalence.

Both a trans person and an anorexic both see their bodies differently than logic or reality dictates.

I just wonder why you would choose to agree with one persons reality and not the other.

It was remotely related to your post as you were quoting a poster who mentioned the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Those 2 statements don’t contradict each other in the least, you’re being silly. Possibly a silly goose.

One is in response to someone expressing an opinion on transgender people.

One is asking a simple clarifying question. I’m not saying they have no right to ask.

Both are questions.
    Sheesh.

Does that happen much?

I'd wager there are a lot more anorexics who think they are too fat than there are men who feel that they are women. So yes.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Both are questions.
    Sheesh.

You've gone full silly goose.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,425 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How can I be sure, the big guy has me on block.
    See?

Do you really need someone to explain to you how to see tweets on an account that has blocked you?

I don't think it is at all a false equivalence.

Both a trans person and an anorexic both see their bodies differently than logic or reality dictates.

I just wonder why you would choose to agree with one persons reality and not the other.

It was remotely related to your post as you were quoting a poster who mentioned the same thing.

I am not going to make an argument myself here. I'm going to defer to the medical professionals on this one. The treatment for gender dysmorphia is to transition to live as a women. The treatment for anorexia is not to starve yourself to death.

Clear?

they/them/theirs

Do you really need someone to explain to you how to see tweets on an account that has blocked you?

No.
    Why would I go out of my way to see what someone who purposely lives in a bubble has to say?

I bet you whoever he was tweeting at last night is now blocked if they 100% did not agree with him.

You've gone full silly goose.

Okay. No problem.

No.
    Why would I go out of my way to see what someone who purposely lives in a bubble has to say?

I bet you whoever he was tweeting at last night is now blocked if they 100% did not agree with him.
    You asked the question; "How can I be sure". Why would you ask a question when you don't want the answer?
    I'd wager there are a lot more anorexics who think they are too fat than there are men who feel that they are women. So yes.
    There is a difference between 'think they are too fat' and 'identify as fat'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

I am not going to make an argument myself here. I'm going to defer to the medical professionals on this one. The treatment for gender dysmorphia is to transition to live as a women. The treatment for anorexia is not to starve yourself to death.

Clear?

Anorexia is a body dysmorphia disorder and treated as a mental illness. I don’t know why gender dysmorphia is treated any different. A man with his penis removed is not a woman: He is an infertile man.

There is a difference between 'think they are too fat' and 'identify as fat'.

Really? Not being facetious here, but what is the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If someone wants to identify as disabled, grand, but they can’t be given disability allowances because they don’t actually have a disability.

If someone wants to identify as black. Grand, go for it. Why does it matter? You’re harming no one and get zero benefits for it. It’s not as if you change you race to black legally.

Interesting comparisons, but I don't think they help your argument actually.

If somebody with white skin but who identifies as black makes a legal claim they were not given a job/not served in a pub/etc, because they are black, what do you think should happen then?

If legally they are told they simply have no case, what that means is that while they can identify as whatever they want privately and personally, it will not be taken seriously legally.

Whereas with Yaniv, and in countries that have laws on self-identification of gender (or whatever the term actually is), these things do need to be taken seriously legally.

I think the 'identify however you like privately, but don't expect much accommodation from the law' is not the argument you are making; actually, it is what you are arguing against.

You asked the question; "How can I be sure". Why would you ask a question when you don't want the answer?

Sarcasm.

I've already made it clear I don't deal with activists of any hue that live in an echo chamber.

wellwhynot wrote: »
    Anorexia is a body dysmorphia disorder and as a mental illness. I don’t know why gender dysmorphia is treated any different. A man with his penis removed is not a woman: He is an infertile man.

You don't know why 2 conditions are treated differently? Well, the cause and solution are different. If my car overheats I don't add more petrol, I add coolant.

Legally, a man who undergoes gender reassignment surgery is a woman. That's not a matter of opinion.

they/them/theirs

Sarcasm.

I've already made it clear I don't deal with activists of any hue that live in an echo chamber.

If you like to have a look at his engagement just last night, you will see he's the complete opposite of 'living in an echo chamber'. In fact, by deliberately choosing to not look at what he's up to, you're pretty much doing to the echo chamber thing yourself.

But yeah, I know those things don't apply to you, only to other people, right?

osarusan wrote: »
    Interesting comparisons, but I don't think they help your argument actually.

If somebody with white skin but who identifies as black makes a legal claim they were not given a job/not served in a pub/etc, because they are black, what do you think should happen then?

If legally they are told they simply have no case, what that means is that while they can identify as whatever they want privately and personally, it will not be taken seriously legally.

Whereas with Yaniv, and in countries that have laws on self-identification of gender (or whatever the term actually is), these things do need to be taken seriously legally.

I think the 'identify however you like privately, but don't expect much accommodation from the law' is not the argument you are making; actually, it is what you are arguing against.

What's the point of this actually? Trans women have legal protection. People who identify as different races don't. Some day they might, but I'm not worried about it as much as some.

Society changes and moral standards change.

they/them/theirs

Society changes and moral standards change.

Not always for the better and when it gets to a stage where refusing to accept that a man who cuts his penis off is a woman can land you in trouble or have you branded as a bigot, it is worth discussing.

Not always for the better and when it gets to a stage where refusing to accept that a man who cuts his penis off is a woman can land you in trouble or have you branded as a bigot, it is worth discussing.

Everything is worth discussing, or I wouldn’t be on a discussion forum.

Why do you reduce the problem transgenderism to chopping off genitalia? It’s far too complex an issue to do this imo.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

A straight man who likes being a man, but also likes to dress up as a woman, is known as a transvestite.

A gay man who likes being a man, but also likes to dress up as a woman, is known as a drag queen.

People who were born a certain gender, but feel like they identify with the opposite gender more and wish to identify as that opposite gender are transgender.

People who were born a certain gender, but feel like they identify with the opposite gender more and wish to physically become that opposite gender are transsexual.

There's also gender fluid, but I'm honestly not sure what that means. Possibly identifying as a man on manly days and a woman on womanly days....or something.

Is this correct? WTF is Jessica Yanis then? :confused:

Jessica yaniv is a man who is a paedophile.

• Advertisement

Really? Not being facetious here, but what is the difference?

You know the difference between an innie and an outie bellybutton?

What's the point of this actually? Trans women have legal protection. People who identify as different races don't. Some day they might, but I'm not worried about it as much as some.
    Fair enough, but you were the one who introduced them as examples.

If you like to have a look at his engagement just last night, you will see he's the complete opposite of 'living in an echo chamber'. In fact, by deliberately choosing to not look at what he's up to, you're pretty much doing to the echo chamber thing yourself.

But yeah, I know those things don't apply to you, only to other people, right?

No thanks.
    You're asking me to go out of my way to view what an activist says, an activist that has blocked me for no reason (most likely blocklist) - whoever he thinks he is forfeits any interest I may have had in what he argues.

Your last line is water off a ducks back, believe me.

osarusan wrote: »
    Fair enough, but you were the one who introduced them as examples.

No I didn’t. I was responding to someone who did.

they/them/theirs

No I didn’t. I was responding to someone who did.

Actually yeah, you are correct on that, my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I clicked that link and the courageous Mr Comerford has somehow blocked me even though I've had zero interaction with him to my knowledge.
    I must have made it onto a blocklist that he utilises which really isn't a good look.
    Echo Echo Echo

So that's Gemma O'Doherty and Mr Comerford that I know of who have blocked me on Twitter!
    Paragons of free thought, speech and debate unite!

Ditto. No idea who that guy is but I'm blocked. Clearly a big fan of debate and alternate opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Twitter most definitely is an echo chamber and anyone who uses the mass block functionality is definitely in a bubble.

This guy in particular has all the hallmarks of it, allot of use of TERF, allot of Snipes at people including Graham Lenihen who is also blocked.

We aren't really arguing this though we have an element of dishonest posting and smokescreens to divert away from how bad parts of the trans community is or how out of touch they are with the rest of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

It’s far too complex an issue to do this imo.

I have to admit, it's currently the main social issue where I'm nowhere near as certain as I would be with others. With issues like gay rights and female reproductive rights, things were fairly black and white. If we take the issue of gay marriage, it was a simple decision as far as I was concerned - gay people exist and them having marriage rights affects nobody but themselves.

I was initially in a similar position regarding trans rights too and I'm sure I have posts from several years ago floating around advocating for their rights to share facilities with biological women. The thing is, when I was thinking of the rights of trans people, I was thinking of the rights of people who have made the decision to medically transition to the gender that they feel suits them.

And for the record, I do still think that affording those rights to those transitioning or transitioned is still the right thing to do even if it might make those using those traditionally single-sex spaces uneasy.

Self ID is where I start to waver, though. It significantly widens the group that I had in mind when I was thinking of trans rights. Like I said, I thought this was about gender-dysphoric people undergoing or having undergone transition. I was not thinking that this included literally anyone who wanted to declare themselves as a different gender for whatever reason they want - whether honest or, as is the case with Janiv, very nefarious.

I can understand the noble intentions of self Id - trans people really don't have it easy. But there are some serious unintended consequences here that aren't being addressed properly. It's not helped that these threads tend to attract rereg trolls and transphobes but I guess that's just a feature of today's internet.

There are legitimate issues raised by self id that do affect other groups who also tend to get the shítty end of the stick. Women are the obvious one and to keep things simple, I'll stick with that group. In an earlier paragraph, I pointed out where I stood with the rights of those transitioning or transitioned to access traditionally single-sex spaces. While I'm a bit uneasy with advocating that women share their spaces with biological males and can see the irony of me as a guy telling women that as a group, they should give up some of their rights for biological males, I still think that overall, it's the right thing to do.

But then there are the cases on the other end of the spectrum where some people are just taking the piss with it like this case here and more sinister cases where biological males have used self Id as a means to get themselves into women's spaces and have abused them. There needs to be a way to distinguish between people like this and gender-dysphoric people.

Then there are more innocent situations where biological males declare as female despite undergoing no medical intervention or changing their outward appearance besides wearing a dress from time to time - I don't have any issue with people such as this, each to their own and all that, but I can see how granting them access to traditionally female spaces can create problems - an obvious one being perfectly innocent but very outwardly looking males mixing with vulnerable women - I can see how women in a rape-crisis centre could take issue with a bearded burly man in their midst.

So, like I said, this is a really complicated issue and I don't really have solutions here, only some acknowledgement of the problems. I know where I stand when it comes to those transitioning or transitioned and I know where I stand on the likes of Yaniv but there's a massive section in between where it's bloody complicated.

I don't know what the solution is, or at least a workable alternative to self id but I don't think that self id is really the right way here.

This issue is also a lot bigger than the points I made here but I wanted to stick to the more practical questions. There's a huge philosophical discussion to be had here too but that's one that always gets messy so I'm trying to leave it out.

But yeah, tl;dr this subject is bloody complicated. Even if you only look at a small subset of the issues and ignore the wider philosophical side of it, it's still bloody complicated.
    splinter65 wrote: »
    Jessica yaniv is a man who is a paedophile.

This is another example of what makes this subject tricky. I absolutely agree with this statement but from a legal point of view and depending on jurisdiction, this statement could be viewed as correct or incorrect. I guess it comes down to the social, legal, colloquial, scientific and various other definitions of what a man or a woman is as well as what definition of "is" is but this is the philosophical stuff that I mentioned earlier.

But then there are the cases on the other end of the spectrum where some people are just taking the piss with it like this case here and more sinister cases where biological males have used self Id as a means to get themselves into women's spaces and have abused them. There needs to be a way to distinguish between people like this and gender-dysphoric people.

Then there are more innocent situations where biological males declare as female despite undergoing no medical intervention or changing their outward appearance besides wearing a dress from time to time - I don't have any issue with people such as this, each to their own and all that, but I can see how granting them access to traditionally female spaces can create problems - an obvious one being perfectly innocent but very outwardly looking males mixing with vulnerable women - I can see how women in a rape-crisis centre could take issue with a bearded burly man in their midst.

Have many of these problems come up in Ireland in recent years since self ID was legalised?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Have many of these problems come up in Ireland in recent years since self ID was legalised?

The only one that I'm aware of is the report by one of the red-top rags about a self-declared male in a women's prison. I don't know how much truth there is to it since it's one of those papers aimed at simple people but whether or not it has happened yet in this country is beside the point. If it's legal for it to happen, then it's only a matter of time before it does. It has already happened in other common-law jurisdictions with larger populations so stuff like that will happen here. The real question is whether it's right that it does.

Advertisement