Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Christmas Trend you wish would go away?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

pc7 wrote: »
    I'd get rid of shops opening St Stephens day too, the likes of Next, some of their staff will be working until 10pm Christmas Eve and back in 4am Stephens morning to prep for the 6am start, its disgusting.

Just quoting this as it's Still my biggest gripe. If a store clearly cared about it staff it would close on Stephens Day and just have an online sale and offer even larger discounts as they'd be saving on staff costs and light heat,etc.

That was if the someone wants to buy into a sale they can do so online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭tscul32

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Not being funny but what is the Christmas Guide? Is it the RTE guide? I haven't had a tv in years so I'm kinda out of the loop. The last guide I bought at Christmas was probably the ones you got in primary school. I think they used to be called Siamsa (I know I got that completely wrong :o). Are they still a thing?

Sonas, siamsa, spraoi, súgradh - still alive and kicking, my primary school kids get them every year. I used to love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Blue led tree lights. We’ve got them in the town we live in and they look absolutely terrible.

tscul32 wrote: »
    Sonas, siamsa, spraoi, súgradh - still alive and kicking, my primary school kids get them every year. I used to love them.

Oh the treat to get working our spraoi once we’d our class work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,174 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If we all stopped going shopping on the 26th, the shops would soon get the message.

Unfortunately so many of us are crazy to keep buying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭neris

christmas ads in october

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

NIMAN wrote: »
    If we all stopped going shopping on the 26th, the shops would soon get the message.

Unfortunately so many of us are crazy to keep buying.

This.
    My son whilst in college worked part-time for a well known high street fashion store. The sale started on 4am Stephens morning, he had to be in at 3am. I cannot put into words how pathetic I believe people to be that they would sacrifice a major part of Christmas day so that they can queue for rubbish at any other time of the year.
    No demand ,no shops open.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

No demand ,no shops open.

That's it.
    How do people blame the shops??? Its the customers that dictate retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Go Home Paddy Cat!!

Loughc wrote: »
    What is a Christmas trend you're glad is gone? What's one you wish would go away?

For me I wish the shops would stop opening on Stephens Day. Christmas should be spent with loved ones not in the shops.

And as for shops opening on Christmas Day... no. It’s really not fair on the staff either they are put under so much pressure to work those days.

For me, I would do away with the taking down of the tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mezzotint

Mainly the fact that Christmas festivities now start in about July. I like it in December and January as it really cheers up what would be an otherwise miserable part of the year. However, pushing it back into early autumn and even summer is just ruining it.

Obviously it has a religious significance in Christianity, but the origin of most of the symbolism and festivity would appear to be pagan and traditional mid-winter Northern European winter/solstice festivals. So, I'd sort of rather it stayed in that general part of the year. It's really nice to have something warm, bright and cheerful in winter but not August (cough.. Brown Thomas!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

neris wrote: »
    christmas ads in october

Doesn’t actually happen by law Christmas ads can’t start until November 1st. DFS don’t count as you’re only ordering for December ;)

Those sales are such a farce. They bring in rubbish stock they didn’t even have in store especially for the sale. Saw this in Next especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,329 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

People who have an over active imagination about when Christmas stuff starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Those sales are such a farce. They bring in rubbish stock they didn’t even have in store especially for the sale. Saw this in Next especially.

I worked in Debenhams warehouse in Ballymount during college. There were racks kept that were sent to store for sales.. more often than not the same racks came back and kept for the next sale

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Antlers and reindeer noses on cars.
    Especially when they are sad, faded and broken in mid-February because the lazy prats couldn't be bothered to take them off when Christmas was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

We go to panto in Gaiety on 26th. Five years ago Dublin was almost deserted and it was hard to get a sandwich before the show. Now it's busier and busier and every year there are more people on Grafton Street shopping and more places open. I don't think that will be reversed.

As for trends I would like to go away: Christmas jumpers and mountain of cheap plastic throw away decorations. I suspect that will change if environmentalists have anything to do with it, I mostly object on aesthetic grounds.

The one I actually cancelled was visiting Santa, kids don't care about it and I don't to need stand in line and yawn so they can see fake Santa (their description not mine).

meeeeh wrote: »

As for trends I would like to go away: Christmas jumpers and mountain of cheap plastic throw away decorations. I suspect that will change if environmentalists have anything to do with it, I mostly object on aesthetic grounds.

When I saw meeeeh was the last poster. I knew this was going to be here!

When I saw meeeeh was the last poster. I knew this was going to be here!

They are vile and infantile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Black Friday & Cyber Monday.....I don't get the hype of wanting to kill other shoppers to get a better deal. Plus most of the shops spend October/November hiking the prices so they can have a "massive" discount sale. Bring back the January sales that were actually sales!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Black Friday and Cyber Monday suit me quite well as that's when I get a lot of my Christmas shopping done!

I agree with everyone saying there shouldn't be sales on the 26th December. I never understood why anyone would want to go shopping the day after Christmas, and I hated having to work on the 26th when I worked in retail. I have to say I'm glad I never worked in Next, that sale starts so early and people queue in the middle of the night for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,174 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Toy Show in November

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

NIMAN wrote: »
    Toy Show in November
    That over-paid tool singing, with the daft grin on his face.

The non Christmas themed Toy Shows!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Can't bear those chilly blue LED lights.

And I don't like being pressured to buy things. (I care about this earth and its future)

And I don't like the way that "Christmas" is given an identity by profiteering interests trying to sell stuff: There's a lot more to it all than purchasing clothing and presents. Nice as those are!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

Elf on the shelf.
    Christmas being 'over' on Stephens day after weeks of massive build up.
    Sales starting crack of dawn on Stephens day. Why why why.
    Oh yeh Christmas Jumpers but to lesser extent than the above two I get they are a bit of crack & cute on the kids I just hate them on myself they not the most flattering & am too vain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

meeeeh wrote: »
    We go to panto in Gaiety on 26th. Five years ago Dublin was almost deserted and it was hard to get a sandwich before the show. Now it's busier and busier and every year there are more people on Grafton Street shopping and more places open. I don't think that will be reversed.

The one I actually cancelled was visiting Santa, kids don't care about it and I don't to need stand in line and yawn so they can see fake Santa (their description not mine).

Jayziz, kids just don’t have the innocence of before. Was always my favorite time of year, 8th of december heading in with my old man and sis to visit Santa in clearys. Or when he used to arrive by helicopter in dunnes stores. My parents told me he was like a Santa Messanger. Don’t know what age we stopped going to see him though. Some hilarious pics from back in the day.

Jayziz, kids just don’t have the innocence of before. Was always my favorite time of year, 8th of december heading in with my old man and sis to visit Santa in clearys. Or when he used to arrive by helicopter in dunnes stores. My parents told me he was like a Santa Messanger. Don’t know what age we stopped going to see him though. Some hilarious pics from back in the day.

It's not that bad. The 10 year old also told me that Santa exists because I most definitely wouldn't buy him presents. I love telling them my favourite word is no. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Loughc wrote: »
    What is a Christmas trend you're glad is gone? What's one you wish would go away?

For me I wish the shops would stop opening on Stephens Day. Christmas should be spent with loved ones not in the shops.

And as for shops opening on Christmas Day... no. It’s really not fair on the staff either they are put under so much pressure to work those days.

As do I,
    but it is up to people to not go in, also, it is totally unfair to expect people outside of the emergency service to be working, it is not a necessity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

lawred2 wrote: »
    I would imagine a fair sized cohort of retail staff on those days are students more than happy to make the money

I know this is 3 weeks old, however, just to say I was a student in retail working Christmas and I hated going in Stephens Day, having to be in early to set up for the sales and while we did work a split shift of only being in for a few hours rather than full day it still sucked. It wasn't even so I could go drinking but just didn't have time off with all of the family which would have been nice.

Worked late Christmas Eve and then in early Stephens day we had 1 day of Christmas, the extra money wasn't worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

lawred2 wrote: »
    I would imagine a fair sized cohort of retail staff on those days are students more than happy to make the money

My very last day in retail was 26th Dec 2009 and I hated it. I never minded working Xmas Eve as there was a wonderful buzz about the place. But it's pathetic how many people came into town for 'bargains' (there were very few to be had).

Advertisement