Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Christmas Trend you wish would go away?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Under American English from my understanding us and the UK,etc should be going with pyjamas.

How about simply " pj' s" for Christmas peace ;)

I only wear nightdresses anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The twelve pubs of Christmas.

Spoiling a good gettogether in the pub with a gang of drunken young uns racing noisily in to grab a drink, cause some uproar and race out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Spoiling a good gettogether in the pub with a gang of drunken young uns racing noisily in to grab a drink, cause some uproar and race out again.

Yeah, I'm thinking of moving my Christmas nights (there won't be many anyway) to midweek this year or just weekend day sessions and finish up early

the crowds in pubs are just too much later on at the weekend, having to queue ages for a drink, people banging into you, skipping queue at the bar, roaring and shouting, etc. Impossible to get a taxi after then

getting too old for it :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

It's mentioned in the very first post, so just echoing - I wish all shops would stay closed on St Stephens Day, (and even the day after!) for the sake of the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's mentioned in the very first post, so just echoing - I wish all shops would stay closed on St Stephens Day, (and even the day after!) for the sake of the staff.

I would imagine a fair sized cohort of retail staff on those days are students more than happy to make the money

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I do the Elf on the Shelf :o I thumb my nose at the 'rules' for it though!

It wasn't my choice to get it but like Iguana's house, ours doesn't link day to day behaviour to Santa gifts as it was getting the youngster very stressed. So Elf isn't a spy and doesn't report to Santa and there's no rule about not touching it. It's basically just a doll that does pranks at night here and that's it. So it's a lot of fun.

I dislike when people say Christmas is over on the 27th. As far as I'm concerned Christmas is a few weeks of the end of December and right through until the 8th January. It's not just a day it's a season!

Not a fan of pub crawls, but that's probably because I'd never have the stamina or stomach for twelve pubs.

People who tell you what they got you before you open it. Or give it to you in November and get the hump because you want to keep it until Christmas day to open it. (same person in my family does both of these - usually at the same time)

Not strictly Christmas but Irish people with no North American connections whatsoever bar a two week holiday to the US celebrating Thanksgiving. Pure Notions.

And Black Friday can fcuk right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Neyite wrote: »
    Not strictly Christmas but Irish people with no North American connections whatsoever bar a two week holiday to the US celebrating Thanksgiving. Pure Notions.

I'm 100% on board with celebrating Thanksgiving if it involves The Square Ball's Thanksgiving feast. It looks delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,920 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'm 100% on board with celebrating Thanksgiving if it involves The Square Ball's Thanksgiving feast. It looks delish.

Menu looks great but ah Thursday Nov 22nd 2019 doesn't look right?

I will sometimes use Thanksgiving as a sign it is time\excuse to have a bit of a mini christmas and have some duck or turkey, some American wine and put on a cheesy christmassy movie...
    That probably doesn't really count as celebrating Thanksgiving though.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Tiny Tim leaving on the streets on Christmas Day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

lawred2 wrote: »
    I would imagine a fair sized cohort of retail staff on those days are students more than happy to make the money

They’re actually not. Most students would want to be out drinking Stephens day. Rostering over Christmas is a nightmare for people in retail. They have my sympathy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

+1 for this. And I was once the organiser of a 12 pubs for 5 years but it’s ran it’s course and I am far too old for that muck now. I would give anything to go back to Christmas drinks pre the 12 pubs era.

Where the pub had the fire lighting, sports on the telly and Christmas music playing and loads of chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,812 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Anyone working in retail is up to their eyes right up to Christmas, it’s a pity they can’t get to have a reasonable break with their family and friends... a couple of days even... as usual though you have the selfish attention seeking fûckwits Qing outside the shops before they open even just so they can leave all starry eyed and dumb faced with their 50% off X bottle of perfume / aftershave, 20% off a nice kettle or whatever and spend about six weeks regaling everyone in earshot as to how great ‘they’ are at shopping. Ughhhhhh people...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Not looking forward to a "day off" next week.

Have to cook the bloody dinner for 30 coming over. A mans work is never done!

Strumms wrote: »
    Anyone working in retail is up to their eyes right up to Christmas, it’s a pity they can’t get to have a reasonable break with their family and friends... a couple of days even... as usual though you have the selfish attention seeking fûckwits Qing outside the shops before they open even just so they can leave all starry eyed and dumb faced with their 50% off X bottle of perfume / aftershave, 20% off a nice kettle or whatever and spend about six weeks regaling everyone in earshot as to how great ‘they’ are at shopping. Ughhhhhh people...:(

It is the panic buying that is truly crazy. Worse than the "sliced pan" thing. Leads to so much waste.

As if the shops were going to be closed for weeks..

Loughc wrote: »
    +1 for this. And I was once the organiser of a 12 pubs for 5 years but it’s ran it’s course and I am far too old for that muck now. I would give anything to go back to Christmas drinks pre the 12 pubs era.

Where the pub had the fire lighting, sports on the telly and Christmas music playing and loads of chat.

Sounds so cosy! Lovely! Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

12 pubs. Drunken fools everywhere

Blue Christmas Lights

Elf on the Shelf

• Registered Users Posts: 10,125 ✭✭✭✭DvB

DvB wrote: »
    This thread may as well be written just for me....

I am incredibly old fashioned/old school/whatever about Christmas and the modern day evolution of christmas is in the vast majority of instances not good... most of the follwoing items I'll have mentioned on here previously as little things that bug me, generally I accept them as simply being thats the way it is nowadays & get over yourself but I still bemoan the fact they're not what they used to be.... hope that makes sense & I dont sound too grinchy!!

Anyway, my gripes...

1. Christmas music stopping at midnight on the 25th.... why? When I were a kid it was christmas tunes & jolly stuff right up until Jan 2nd... why has this stopped? Why have such a build up to chuck it all the bin the minute the clock hits midnight!?

2. Shops opening on Christmas day... no, no, no, no, no!!! People have 364/365 days to prepare for one day without the luxury of havuing somewhere spending more money... One of the greatest things in my memories of christmas growing up was the fact the whole country came to stop & allowed families spend time together, in todays world were we rush around constantly its never been more important to acknowledge family & friends IMO & not just 'head to the shops'

3. 12 pubs.... no! I'm at an age where I want to find one nice pub, cosy corner & chat with my mates. Partaking in such an event involving the chugging of large quantities of alcohol in a rammed sweltering hot pub whilst wearing an outrageous wooly jumper and then moving to another 11 just like it... no, just no! Having my quiet chat & pint ruined by an endless stream of these people is also less than enjoyable.... and fighting my way to the bar through them & their 'its all bants innit' is just, well, no!

4. New age christmas jumpers... no. Either retro or not at all IMO, the link between the newer outrageous (& tacky) ones worn as outlined in 3. above is no.

5. Christmas being 'earlier every year' ... eh, no! Its the same every year for as long as I can remember & I'll start talking about it when I want to. I listen to you talk cr*p about all sorts all year so I'll talk about crimbo from September if i want to. And maybe if you planned for it better you wouldnt be whinging about the having to go to the shops on christmas day to pick up batteries or suchlike (I'll refer you back to 2. above for that one)

6. The reference to christmas as 'the holidays' & 'happy holidays' & suchlike & the removal of the use of the word christmas...NO!!! Its christmas in this part of the world, always was & always will be, its not some heathen, muslim or jewish festival, & thats fine, but the country you live in (ireland) is predominantly christian and likes to refer to the festival at that time of year as christmas... so we'll actually use the name christmas if thats okay with you, so deal with it!

7... I'll need to continue this in another post, have to do some work!!:D

I'll just bump my post from last year... nothings changed.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Blue Christmas Lights

Elf on the Shelf
    I listen to classic hits when I'm getting ready in the morning and they've introduced "Elf on the Shelf". It's some guy who's voice is put through one of those distortion things and it's the most annoying thing ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Crusades against lyrics that were written in a completely different time and era

Mainly from Twitter and really coming to prominence in the last couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't like the cover of the Christmas Guide ever since they started making it animated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I don't like the cover of the Christmas Guide ever since they started making it animated!
    Not being funny but what is the Christmas Guide? Is it the RTE guide? I haven't had a tv in years so I'm kinda out of the loop. The last guide I bought at Christmas was probably the ones you got in primary school. I think they used to be called Siamsa (I know I got that completely wrong :o). Are they still a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Not being funny but what is the Christmas Guide? Is it the RTE guide? I haven't had a tv in years so I'm kinda out of the loop. The last guide I bought at Christmas was probably the ones you got in primary school. I think they used to be called Siamsa (I know I got that completely wrong :o). Are they still a thing?

In Ireland there's a weekly magazine called the RTE Guide.
    It is essentially the TV listings for the week. It also includes recipes, fashion, puzzles, reviews, interviews etc.
    During Christmas they do a bumper two week special that takes in Christmas and the New Year. The cover includes various RTE celebrities.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,061 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Paddy Cow wrote: »

Be the hokey Paddy, I haven't seen nor heard of Siamsa in years.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Blue Christmas Lights

Elf on the Shelf

This is the same three I was going to post.

Taking those as read I can think of some more

* People obsessing over the John Lewis ad, seeing as most of us never see it on TV anyway
    * One that's not likely to be popular - Christmas FM - I'm sure retail staff are already driven demented enough with the same songs on a loop without having all the unemployed radio presenters in Ireland yammering between them

L1011 wrote: »
    One that's not likely to be popular - Christmas FM - I'm sure retail staff are already driven demented enough with the same songs on a loop without having all the unemployed radio presenters in Ireland yammering between them

Couple of things here.

1. ChristmasFM have a large rotation of songs some Christmas songs I only came across and never heard of until Christmas FM.

2. The radio presenters are not unemployed they are either regional DJs or in some cases executives in radio/media who selflessly give up their spare time and arrange to work around their day to give up spare time to the charitable ChristmasFM.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Loughc wrote: »
    Couple of things here.

1. ChristmasFM have a large rotation of songs some Christmas songs I only came across and never heard of until Christmas FM.

2. The radio presenters are not unemployed they are either regional DJs or in some cases executives in radio/media who selflessly give up their spare time and arrange to work around their day to give up spare time to the charitable ChristmasFM.

Looking at the list I'd say there's more that are unemployed (in a radio sense - I'm sure they're not signing on) than not; with obvious exceptions not outweighing the rest.

Basically I find the entire thing twee and forced. Said it was going to be an unpopular suggestion!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

2008: ISPCC. – €35.000

2009: Simon – €70,000

2010: Barnardos – €86,000

2011: Focus – €117,000

2012: ISPCC – €100,000

2013: Aware – €85,000

2014: Age Action – €107,000

2015: Make A Wish – €278,000

2016: Focus Ireland – €365,000

2017: Sightsavers – €214,000

2018: Temple Street Hospital- €404,551

Just sayin'. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭joebloggs123

Fibre optic trees
    Elf on the shelf

Couldn't disagree more with Christmas FM. Think it's a great addition and raises a lot of money for charity.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Love, love, love Christmas FM its the start of Christmas for me, really cannot wait until it starts.

I'd get rid of shops opening St Stephens day too, the likes of Next, some of their staff will be working until 10pm Christmas Eve and back in 4am Stephens morning to prep for the 6am start, its disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Loughc wrote:
    What is a Christmas trend you're glad is gone? What's one you wish would go away?

Mass consumerisation would be a good start, our planet badly needs it, hence so do we

Advertisement