Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No jail for driver who deliberately drove through cyclist at traffic lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

That’s truly a travesty of justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

It seems that being in a sulk because you’re not as good at golf as you used to be is a mitigating factor in running people over now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Dunno, think it’s preferable to going to jail and no compensation.

Seems he was provoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

More here > https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/suspended-sentence-for-man-who-deliberately-crashed-into-cyclist-1.4094339

So the message the judge sends out is it's ok to run over a cyclist if your having a bad day it will only cost you 10 grand, what a load of bollicks, that judge should be struck off.
    What if everyone driving a car tomorrow was having a bad day :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

begbysback wrote: »
    Dunno, think it’s preferable to going to jail and no compensation.

Seems he was provoked.
    Ohhh
    If he was provoked then that’s a good reason it’s ok to drive over a cyclist with a ton and a half vehicle.
    And there was me thinking it wasn’t warranted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Just goes to show if you want to kill or main someone in Ireland make sure you're driving a vehicle at the time.

Best chance of getting away (relatively) scot-free

_Brian wrote: »
    Ohhh
    If he was provoked then that’s a good reason it’s ok to drive over a cyclist with a ton and a half vehicle.
    And there was me thinking it wasn’t warranted

Didn’t say it was ok, just somewhat a rational punishment when emotions are excluded - sending someone to jail isn’t always the appropriate punishment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Didn’t say it was ok, just somewhat a rational punishment when emotions are excluded - sending someone to jail isn’t always the appropriate punishment.
    Did you see his list of previous convictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

What an absolute ****ing joke. The DPP have to appeal that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

I don't like this idea of trying to pay off victims, though a promise of 10K in two years, isn't worth a whole lot. And six previous convictions means he's used up all his second chances in my book. It's a disgraceful sentence from the judge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

It was luck that he didn't kill the cyclist and he drove away from the scene of an "accident" (not to mention lying to the gardai). All because the cyclist looked at him. Un fúcking believable. It doesn't say about a ban from driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Sorry lads but I hate cyclists!

Joking aside (jealousy really cos I actually can't cycle), that verdict is ridiculous. The order for payment is good, but that's nowhere near enough. He should have his license suspended INDEFINITELY. Forgetting his previous convictions, deliberately driving at a cyclist is abominable. His lawyer using depression as an excuse is sickening. I've had depression for 10 years, I've never tried to deliberately drive into a cyclist!

If you take away emotions then he deliberately drove over a cyclist !!!, nothing rational about that, wrong punishment, that scumbag should have got jail time.
    I'm all for giving a fella a 2nd chance but not a fella with several convictions, he meant to hurt the guy badly and now he's laughing his arse off at our court system, next time he might actually kill someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I don’t think people realise cyclists arnt objects on roads. Just normal men and women heading from their families to work and home again or out for exercise. Some of them have to work on their bicycles.
    Most of them have families to support, kids lunches to make and actually have dogs or cats or whatever.
    A large I’d say way over 60 per cent have cars and drivers licences at home but chose to cycle because of parking prices or the environment or god knows what fitness sometimes too.
    For a judge to say he understands that sometimes you can have an urge to run a cyclist over and if you have 10 k and your car is taxed and insured you should be allowed to, even if you have a questionable past is a total travesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

_Brian wrote: »
    That’s truly a travesty of justice.

Judge Nolan has lots of previous in cases like this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

"He added Kearns had been a very good golfer but lost his form and he had become depressed."

That should be laughed out of the record.

Also Martin Nolan. Say no more. The man is a massive embarrassment to the entire nation imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭enricoh

Last week a learner driver in Dublin got a suspended sentence for pulling out in front of a delivery driver on a scooter. The lad on the scooter died.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiENO6wlu-rXBXIecU7YmfRhIqGAgEKg8IACoHCAowyNLTATDN-jUwjbOhAQ?hl=en-IE&gl=IE&ceid=IE%3Aen

I wonder what Shane Ross will make of that, does anyone know how we could ask him for a comment on the judge's decision ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

That's ireland for you. Nearly kill someone or attempted murder and its a suspended sentence. Don't pay your TV licence or say something hurtful online and you have the whole justice system down on top of you...

mamax wrote: »
    If you take away emotions then he deliberately drove over a cyclist !!!, nothing rational about that, wrong punishment, that scumbag should have got jail time.
    I'm all for giving a fella a 2nd chance but not a fella with several convictions, he meant to hurt the guy badly and now he's laughing his arse off at our court system, next time he might actually kill someone.

Now cmon, he didn’t actually drive ‘over’ him, it seems the injuries were minimal, plus the judge had the benefit of cctv which I’m sure was a factor in his decision.

Look at this rationally, if your the driver and you have to pay 10k then it’s gonna hurt, on the other hand if your the cyclist do you want the driver to go to jail, or have him pay you 10k - if I’m the cyclist I’d take the 10k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭bmc58

More here > https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/suspended-sentence-for-man-who-deliberately-crashed-into-cyclist-1.4094339

So the message the judge sends out is it's ok to run over a cyclist if your having a bad day it will only cost you 10 grand, what a load of bollicks, that judge should be struck off.
    What if everyone driving a car tomorrow was having a bad day :eek:

Some hope of getting €10,000 off that boyo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't really see how looking back at a driver for bad driving could be described as 'provoking'. Cars beep at each other all the time for bad driving - is that considered provoking too. If the culprit genuinely felt provoked by this then that only shows the he as a driver felt utterly superior to the cyclist in the first place, simply because he's a driver.

Now cmon, he didn’t actually drive ‘over’ him, it seems the injuries were minimal, plus the judge had the benefit of cctv which I’m sure was a factor in his decision.

Look at this rationally, if your the driver and you have to pay 10k then it’s gonna hurt, on the other hand if your the cyclist do you want the driver to go to jail, or have him pay you 10k - if I’m the cyclist I’d take the 10k

10k, off the road a decade and minimum year jail time

you dont encourage people to ram cyclists on the off chance they wont be seriously hurt, thats ridiculous.

jaxxx wrote: »
    Sorry lads but I hate cyclists!

Joking aside (jealousy really cos I actually can't cycle), that verdict is ridiculous. The order for payment is good, but that's nowhere near enough. He should have his license suspended INDEFINITELY. Forgetting his previous convictions, deliberately driving at a cyclist is abominable. His lawyer using depression as an excuse is sickening. I've had depression for 10 years, I've never tried to deliberately drive into a cyclist!

I agree.A person with that mentality is liable to repeat their actions at any time.Is he still allowed to drive?

To be honest too many scumbags get off with a fine for this kind of behavior.
    Maybe not over but it's still hit and run with the hit meaning to hurt or kill.
    CCTV footage viewed in court showed Kearns drive into and through Mr Valencia on the road when the cyclist stopped in front of the car Kearns was driving at red lights.
    The cyclist was sent up into the air on impact and then onto the road, suffering a series of injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Martin Nolan say no more..

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 35,818 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

''Kearns had been a very good golfer but lost his form ''

Ah well that explains it, good enough reason to run someone over. All well that ends well,
    let that be a lesson to cyclists everywhere, don't mess with someone who has lost their golfing form.

To be honest too many scumbags get off with a fine for this kind of behavior.
    Maybe not over but it's still hit and run with the hit meaning to hurt or kill.

“His victim suffered minor injuries, including soft tissue damage, and has since made a full recovery.“

“CCTV footage played in Dublin Circuit Criminal Court showed Sean Kearns driving straight at cyclist Marcelo Valencia, causing him to come crashing off his bicycle on the middle of a busy road five years ago.”

That’s taken from the times article, the other source may be slightly biased as there’s a noticeable difference between the 2 reports.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

It's nearly time for the judiciary system in Ireland to be reviewed.
    Time and time again I get the impression that some judge's are putting themselves in people's shoes rather than being of sober thinking.

I remember a judge from Trailee Kerry was supposedly being lenient on the most horrific of crimes towards the vunerable of society.

Then a few years later he was caught red handed with a stash of not so tasteful web browsing etc

I think judge's should be a mixture of laymen and laywomen with a list of crimes and sentences in front of them and if the person is found guilty put them away... obviously this cyclist was dismissed and the perpetrator was held in high esteem..

I have moaned about cyclists here before, but call a spade a spade.
    I'm supporting the cyclists on this one.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    "He added Kearns had been a very good golfer but lost his form and he had become depressed."

That should be laughed out of the record.

Also Martin Nolan. Say no more. The man is a massive embarrassment to the entire nation imo

Nolan is fast becoming a legend in the judiciary.

Advertisement