Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

just as long as you don't mind revolut selling your info.

I neglected to opt out of that on time. Might need to badger them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lunch time spin up to the Hellfire via Masseys in the beautiful winter sunshine. Minor fly in the ointment was picking up a puncture descending one of the fire roads though the wide MTB tyres practically change themself they're that easy to take on and off and only needing 40psi made re-inflation a doddle as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

40psi?

A tad on the high side there.

Was a lovely looking day though.

saccades wrote: »
    40psi?

A tad on the high side there.

Was a lovely looking day though.

Just a guess, though was a bit bouncy on the way home. Wasn't sure if the first puncture was a pinch flaat due to running too low pressure so went a bit high.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Not pretty out there this morning. Howling wind and rain. The wind direction was somewhat ok I suppose, not completely head on for my entire journey. Not many out on bikes this morning!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not pretty out there this morning. Howling wind and rain. The wind direction was somewhat ok I suppose, not completely head on for my entire journey. Not many out on bikes this morning!
    I know that you're over the other side of the city from me but I had a lovely cycle this morning around Leixlip/Lucan. No wind or rain and not much cold.

Pretty crap this afternoon too. Between rain, wind, leaves and inconsiderate motorists curtailed my lunch time spin at 10k. Will try to motivate myself for the turbo this evening instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

D515HxB.jpg

Beyond underdressed for that weather. I don't think I've ever been as wet.

Some laugh!

Climbed up Kilmashogue and on to the masts at Three Rock over lunch at a snails pace in the heavy mist though made up for it with very enjoyable descent on the gravel. Road descent was altogether a more timid affair with lots of leaves on the steep section making it a bit unnevering. Great to get out and bumped into Namelessphil and NamelessphilJr on the way back for a natter too so all good.

495745.jpg

On a clear day you can see forever, today, not so much...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Beyond underdressed for that weather. I don't think I've ever been as wet.

Some laugh!
    is that your commuting bike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

is that your commuting bike?

It's not supposed to be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was just thinking it's not a bike i'd like to commute on on windy days.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Three times on my commute this morning i was beeped by vehicles behind to get out of their way.
    A taxi van came up behind me on the N4 opposite the Spa Hotel and the arrogant driver beeped for me to get out of his way. I looked behind and saw him gesticulating to get onto the cycle path. Normally, if a bus or taxi came up behind, I'd move ouot of their way to let them pass but feck him. If he is going to try bully me out of the way then he can wait until there's space.
    He passed me on the Newcastle/Adamstown slip road.
    Right behind the taxi on the slip road there was a car in the (24/7) bus lane who when faced with me blocking them, the driver beeped at me for making them leave the bus lane and overtake me before going back into the bus lane ahead of me.

Further on approaching the canal at Adamstown, two artics left the Kilsaran quarry. The first passed me carefully (a Kilsaran lorry) giving me plenty of room. The driver of the second lorry (I think it said Barry on the front) beeped at me to get out of their way on the canal bridge (just as I was going onto the cycle path!). I caught up with him at the turn for Baldonnel and asked if there was an issue to which he replied that there wasn't. I asked why then he was trying to bully me out of his way and he just mumbled something.

I wouldn't have minded but I did a fairly good time on my commute so I can't have being going that slow. It's fairly disheartening though to be faced with this crap (in particular from two so called professional drivers)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

80k out to Greystones via Killiney and Bray, back by Roundwood/Dundrum, rain wasn't too bad until I turned at Greystones, then got soaked.

Good new test of the Castelli Perfetto. Any tips for keeping the feet dry/warm? Have merino socks and Velotoze covers but feet were still ringing wet? Does wrapping your toes in tinfoil/clingfilm really work? Should probably start by taping the vents in the shoes...

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Toes in tinfoil will keep them warm but not dry. Plus it leaves a load of tinfoil flakes in your shoes!

Velotoze are pretty useless in this kind of weather, a good pair of neoprene overshoes would be a better option. I usually find neoprene overshoes and merino socks do me for most temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

46km with the cycling club this morning. Average pace 24kp/h. Another distance pb. Good steady spin in middling conditions and feel like I'm getting stronger on the bike. I was a bit sore at first which I'd say was down to the gym session I did yesterday. Enjoyed it after the first 5k and felt I could of went harder on the spin back to Edenderry. Need to sort mudguards on the bike. I had to stay at the back so as not to splash anyone.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/FSPK6H01Q1

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭dahat

4hrs in murky & misty conditions but a decent solo spin finished with 3 x 15min hill climbs.

More of the same tomorrow as training back in full swing. My only complaint is lack of a training partner as 4hr spins can get lonely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

CormacH94 wrote: »
    80k out to Greystones via Killiney and Bray, back by Roundwood/Dundrum, rain wasn't too bad until I turned at Greystones, then got soaked.

Good new test of the Castelli Perfetto. Any tips for keeping the feet dry/warm? Have merino socks and Velotoze covers but feet were still ringing wet? Does wrapping your toes in tinfoil/clingfilm really work? Should probably start by taping the vents in the shoes...

On the cold days I wear the mid size gaa socks. Far warmer than the cycling socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

85km with the road club today, down to Gorey, Courtown, kilmuckridge then back to Gorey and then home.

Decent speed of 28.5kmph but to be expected with only 500m of climbing. Slightly chilled toes but it was much warmer than expected (and dry).

I had planned to go out with the mtb lot around ballinstoe, planned to get there early to do a "fast" lap. Set the alarm for 7am but woke up at 0910. Had to rush to get to the start of the road spin.

On a side note, I had been using a Garmin 800 as bike computer and tracking my rides using the phone to record for strava. Phone got dropped and the GPS has given up so I've finally gotten around to hooking the Garmin up to the connect software (no bluetooth, so needs a usb to laptop).

It has stored every ride since I got it (from Koutoubia of this parish), happy days as I'd lost the last 4-5 with the phone gps dying and hadn't recorded a shed load of mtb ones in races and the like.

Just need to work out how to get them onto strave now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭dahat

4hrs solo and finished with empty legs & body. It was likely a close call with a hefty bonk from lack of feeding between intervals. The final 30 mins z2 felt like z5, glad to get home eventually.

127km @ 32.1 with 900 or so elevation, now to sleep & eat for a bit.

• Advertisement

73km @27km/h, 750m climbing. managed to avoid the mist, it was quite misty around parts of NCD this morning. now to wash the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

A dull day and a dull spin.

Only thing of interest was spotting a guy who clearly went a couple of kilometres up the wrong side of the Royal Canal Greenway after Ferns Lock. He was brought to a stop by the surface, had his phone out, and looking at me on the correct side of the canal. I could only shrug my shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭devonp

up past Kippure today before SG , small Peugeot being hauled out of the bog by a tow truck...

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

devonp wrote: »
    up past Kippure today before SG , small Peugeot being hauled out of the bog by a tow truck...

Jaysus, how was the fog up the Gap today?

120k 30kmph club spin, out to Garretstown for a few loops. Feels good getting the winter miles in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭secman

Club spin with Gorey cc touring group. Gorey to Ferns and on to Enniscorthy where 4 of us did an extra section of 4km out and 4km back with a view to catching the others at or before Oulart, they just about got to Oulart before us. We then gave them a 5 min start and caught them again near Ballyedmund, on to Ballycanew and back to Gorey.
    83 km 600 meters 29.7kph Avg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

My first 50kms in about 12 weeks now since tearing my rotator cuff. My garmin wouldn't switch on so went without it, it was nice to get out and tbh the 12 weeks off didn't show which mightily pleased me.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭devonp

CormacH94 wrote: »
    Jaysus, how was the fog up the Gap today?

not too bad at the Gap was there around 1pm

visibility wasn't great at the top of Cunard at the Military rd junction

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Saw the aftermath of cyclist who had come off outside Wilde & Greene in Milltown this morning about 8.40ish. Not sure what happened but a lot of cyclists had stopped to help and someone was keeping her on the ground until the ambulance came.

I had a close call in the exact same spot (like, down to the metre) last week when the car in front of me saw a free parking space and started turning before indicating. But again, no idea what happened here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Only thing of interest was spotting a guy who clearly went a couple of kilometres up the wrong side of the Royal Canal Greenway after Ferns Lock. He was brought to a stop by the surface, had his phone out, and looking at me on the correct side of the canal. I could only shrug my shoulders.

I did that last year on the way from Athlone to Dublin, closer to Mullingar. I ended up off-roading through a field cut up from horses hooves before some proper off-road action, all on a carbon road bike with 23mm tyres :pac:

I called across the canal at one point to a lady walking her dog, she assured me I didn't have far to go to reach the next bridge and she was right, just another 1.5km or so of road bike off-roading! Was wrecked from that effort though and ended up having to have a feed in Kilcock just to give me a boost to get home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

The buzzard has been in the same spot three times in the past few mornings. I'm always amazed how much wildlife you can see cycling into work in the middle of Dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement