Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life ruining stories?

Options
  • 20-11-2019 6:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

What's the worst way you've seen someone ruin their life who once "had it all"? I know two stories both involve drug use.

My friends dad in America was relatively well off after immigrating from Africa. Got a bad cavity on his wisdom tooth but didn't want to fork out money for a dentist. His colleague gave him a free bottle of painkillers. Immediately liked them and started secretly tapping into the families funds of €5,000 to a habit "on the weekend", long story short, quit his job from not being able to work from the withdrawal and started selling **** in their house. Wife figured out before he tried to sell the car and kicked him out only to have him later kill himself.

Had another friend here who graduated college and was pressured by friends to take some GHB, alcohol, and anti-anxiety pills. Went into a coma and died.

What's yours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Solomon Grundy,
    Born on a Monday,
    Christened on Tuesday,
    Married on Wednesday,
    Took ill on Thursday,
    Grew worse on Friday,
    Died on Saturday,
    Buried on Sunday,
    That was the end,
    Of Solomon Grundy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

lad i know pretty much fried his brain smoking weed every day...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

lad i know pretty much fried his brain smoking weed every day...

It's not fried, it's baked :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Kimbot wrote: »
    It's not fried, it's baked :P

he's not well, psychosis, paranoid delusions, hard to know how to help him or if i even could

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Henry Richard Hammond springs to mind. He was a hairdresser with a kid and girlfriend and a nice life. He turned to drugs, ended up homeless and delusional, and battered another homeless person to death. This happened in Australia recently.

Andrew Cunanan, the spree killer who killed Versace.

Oscar Pistorius.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Henry Richard Hammond springs to mind. He was a hairdresser with a kid and girlfriend and a nice life. He turned to drugs, ended up homeless and delusional, and battered another homeless person to death. This happened in Australia recently.

Andrew Cunanan, the spree killer who killed Versace.

Oscar Pistorius.

I didn't know Richard Hammond moved to Australia. I thought the worst thing that happened to him was that car crash a few years ago, never knew a millionaire become homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Gazzas tackle on Gary Charles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I didn't know Richard Hammond moved to Australia. I thought the worst thing that happened to him was that car crash a few years ago, never knew a millionaire become homeless.

:D:D:D

I assume you're joking!

Young fella once had great promise but messed about with soft drugs, experimented with drinking toxic substances, neglected his studies, spent too much time online, and ended up missing out on the great potential his life and background had given him and the chance to build lifelong friends.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

he's not well, psychosis, paranoid delusions, hard to know how to help him or if i even could

Well in fairness I know a few long term smokers and none have gone that way, however I know a few long term smokers that took different drugs the odd time and that's how most of them are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

My cousin’s young lad is like that. Smoked weed every day. Harmless my eye. The poor lad is like a walking vegetable these days. Gets bouts of rage as well which is worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,005 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Every single story involving drugs. Have never heard one that ended well.

Example, Pablo Escobar. This man had it all. Was at the top of the game, not like one of the wee toerag dealers on a street corner. One of the richest people in the world at one point.

Ended by with no friends and being hunted down like a dog.

Always makes me wonder why people take drug use so lightly. It will be the ruin of you in majority of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

There was a lad I knew who was extremely successful in his job and had a bright future ahead. Wife, kids, nice house, the lot. He was generous to a fault, paying for people's drinks all night and stuff like that

Well it turns out there was a reason he could afford this perfect affluent lifestyle. He was running a ponzi scheme and defrauded a number of people out of hundreds of thousands of euro. Ended up losing his family and going to jail. Absolute idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

NIMAN wrote: »

Example, Pablo Escobar. This man had it all. Was at the top of the game, not like one of the wee toerag dealers on a street corner. One of the richest people in the world at one point.

Always makes me wonder why people take drug use so lightly. It will be the ruin of you in majority of cases.

It messed up poor aul Tony Montana too.

The world was truly his.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Kimbot wrote: »
    Well in fairness I know a few long term smokers and none have gone that way, however I know a few long term smokers that took different drugs the odd time and that's how most of them are now.

To be fair, I think that's bull IMO. most people who end up wasters from weed, ecstasy etc...were already wasters. I know a guy in my class who dropped out from weed in TY but he wasn't the brightest bulb even when I knew him before he smoked weed.

If you have an underlying mental disorder, things like coke, amphetamines, MDMA, LSD, and weed can **** you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭isohon

NIMAN wrote: »

...because this is demonstrable nonsense?

If the majority of cases of drug use lead to ruined lives then literally uncountable numbers of perfectly functioning people should be destroyed.

In my own experience male stupidity has been the biggest cause. Cheating.

Marriage without an effective prenup. There you go. Millions of stories for both genders.

Ruined three people I know personally. Gorgeous houses, good incomes, etc. Got married, and within a few years were divorced, with their lives essentially being ruined. (Edit: Three different marriages.. should note that. )

Marriage without an effective prenup. There you go. Millions of stories for both genders.

Ruined three people I know personally. Gorgeous houses, good incomes, etc. Got married, and within a few years were divorced, with their lives essentially being ruined. (Edit: Three different marriages.. should note that. )

Or just don't get married until you are 100 per cent sure of the other person.

Pre nups are essential these days; not romantic I know but there ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,357 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Pre-nups aren't recognised here and divorce settlements can be revisited and updated.

Prenups aren't legally enforceable in Ireland yet as far as I'm aware. The courts can have regard to them but are under no obligation to do so.

Or just don't get married until you are 100 per cent sure of the other person.

Never been married myself. And as for 100% sure of the other person, is that even possible?
    Pre nups are essential these days; not romantic I know but there ya go.

Agreed.

• Advertisement

Never been married myself. And as for 100% sure of the other person, is that even possible?

Agreed.

Sadly it's no,t but you'd want to be something close to it before you both throw your lot in together.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Given Pre-Nups are legally worthless in Ireland, what would you suggest one does to protect ones assets in Ireland then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

To be fair, I think that's bull IMO. most people who end up wasters from weed, ecstasy etc...were already wasters. I know a guy in my class who dropped out from weed in TY but he wasn't the brightest bulb even when I knew him before he smoked weed.

If you have an underlying mental disorder, things like coke, amphetamines, MDMA, LSD, and weed can **** you up.

You want to look up the clinical term drug induced psychosis.

banie01 wrote: »
    Given Pre-Nups are legally worthless in Ireland, what would you suggest one does to protect ones assets in Ireland then?

Double contracts. Marriage in a foreign European country where prenups are enforced. Secondary contract stipulating the agreement that any divorce must be processed in that country and under it's laws. EU laws regarding contracts would provide a basis for guidance beyond the Irish law itself.

It's still a contract not made under duress, and witnessed. And therefore should be binding. If overruled, it still opens up many avenues for appeals.

Sadly it's no,t but you'd want to be something close to it before you both throw your lot in together.

Oh. I agree... but other people? They have their own ideas about love, commitment and what's required. Being cheated on, cured me of that kind of easy trust. I'll stick to living together with someone for a good few years before marriage is seriously considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

What's the worst way you've seen someone ruin their life who once "had it all"? I know two stories both involve drug use.

A brother-in-law who died from a mixture of drugs and underlying medical conditions.

You could argue health is your wealth, when the likes of Steve Jobs couldn't defeat medical conditions with practically unlimited funds.

I've also seen people I went to college with, who struggled or couldn't quite get into a proper adult relationship and they never get married/have kids. Or ended up working in the same job for 25+ years after college and just completely losing their huge potential.

But it's typically drugs, alcohol or crime that messes up most peoples lives under their own control.

Or the sex pests/paedos that are outed.

Oh. I agree... but other people? They have their own ideas about love, commitment and what's required. Being cheated on, cured me of that kind of easy trust. I'll stick to living together with someone for a good few years before marriage is seriously considered.

It's different for everyone but you see any amount of people who get married for all the wrong reasons or just think it's the next logical thing to do.

I firmly agree with the later.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Young and poor is the only way to get married

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Double contracts. Marriage in a foreign European country where prenups are enforced. Secondary contract stipulating the agreement that any divorce must be processed in that country and under it's laws. EU laws regarding contracts would provide a basis for guidance beyond the Irish law itself.

It's still a contract not made under duress, and witnessed. And therefore should be binding. If overruled, it still opens up many avenues for appeals.

There's an interesting couple of hours to be whiled away in a contracts class.
    However you will likely find that one cannot legally enforce an obligation to divorce in a specific jurisdiction.
    One would easily avoid that caveat by the simple expedient of seeking to rely on country of residence as to giving rise to the jurisdiction of divorce.

While marriage may be a contract, seeking to rely on contract law in its dissolution is a means to rapidly having your arse handed to you be the judiciary.

That you or wherever you got the theory from spent the time thinking about ways to protect ones assets is interesting.
    I can think of much more actually useful and less likely to be laughed out of court methods of protecting ones assets.
    Ones that also don't require entering into a lifetime's partnership with an exit plan and a gold diggers charter already in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Gambling. Worked with a couple of people who destroyed their lives and their families with gambling.

One close friend made serious money over the past 25 years in construction but is separated and lives in a 2 bed terraced house in a so-so part of Dublin. House is in the brothers name so he can’t sell it to gamble away.

Other colleague in Germany went straight to a pub every day and fired what he had into one armed bandits. Has no contact to daughter as he never paid a cent towards her or got her a gift or card since she was 2 or 3. She’s a grown woman now.

Advertisement